Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bliss

lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
I was talking to a Theravadin monk who used to bliss out as soon as he started to practice. Made it easy for him. Entering pleasant, blissful or preferred mind states is something we easily get attached to. It is also a by product of sustained practice . . . and very nice too. Eventually it does not have the state of arising, it just seems natural and perhaps best not labeled.

Is the whole of our created mental maelstrom delusionary? Should we work toward the best mind state as a temporary condition or . . .

. . . keep on truckin' . . .

Comments

• I think I'm a keep on truckin type man... ;)
  • One can be ' pretty blissed out' with cocaine!
  • I think there are benefits to creating wholesome states of mind.

It creates a good base to reach the unconditioned.

Yes conditional states can help towards recognition of the unconditioned.

These states can cultivate the heart and bring a deep inner peace and happiness that is a constant source of refuge for those on the path. Eventually all of these are naturally given up because they are subtle constructions, which are not totally liberating. Though it is an indication of letting go.

With refined practice and experience one can blink in and out of states such as joy, peace, calm, love, bliss, nothingness, consciousness, space, etc.

Man reaches first for material delights. Then man becomes more refined and seeks immaterial delights. Then man reaches the final delight, which is to desire the end of desire.

So I'd say yes definitely cultivate bliss and the positive. Even though its conditional, it will lead towards more warmth and more juice for the path.
    lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The Zen teacher Ta Hui (1089–1163) once observed approximately, "I have always taken a great vow that I would rather suffer the fires of hell for all eternity than to depict Zen as a human emotion."
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    For some, bliss is the result of stopping the driving of ones head against a wall. It is relative.
    The meditative approach to Bliss is no different than depression. It is just another phenomina showing what we are not.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I'd say both until we reach our destination.
  • Is the whole of our created mental maelstrom delusionary? Should we work toward the best mind state as a temporary condition or . . .

. . . keep on truckin' . . .
    Happiness appears and we are pleased. Unhappiness appears and we are distraught. It's really all the same, mere arising and ceasing.

"All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering."
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Nothing wrong with a bit of bliss :p
  • waffleswaffles New
    edited November 2012

Hey did you mean that you don't see bliss as part of our true nature? I may have misinterpreted as I see another possible meaning, just making sure ;)
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    People equate 'bliss' with sex, drugs, body highs and mind euphoria, which are temporary karmic arisings. This level of bliss can be generated by music, trance, dance, chanting etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance

This is an approximation or shadow of our primary true nature :)