Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thinking of joining the Michigan Militia Corps (MMC)

Figured that since I have come to trust the judgement, or at least the opinions of many of the members here regarding very non-buddhist topics, I'd post it here.

I have been pondering joining the militia that operates in my state. Years back, I was doubtful of their intentions, as they seemed to have many radicals within their ranks, at least to the groups I have spoken to in person at their own compounds. But since the election of their new commander, they seemed to have evened out in temperament and I have seen them begin training for natural and man made disaster search and rescue, as well as relief (similar in function to the National Guard's duties in such events) and they have worked alongside the Red Cross in doing so. Not only that, but I have gone to one of their camps in order to observe their combat training. And at least in my county, they seem to be much more professional than the stereotype fat lazy redneck with a shotgun militiaman. They have a working chain of command, standards for joining, a genuine care for state and citizen rights, They make it explicitly clear that they do not discriminate against Race, Creed, nationality, nor gender. And the diversity of the members I saw while observing their combat training supported this.

The reasons I wish to join are, because I earnestly wish to help others, especially in the event of a disaster or other emergency. I also firmly believe that there must be protectors of State's rights, people who will wag their finger at the federal government if they begin to overstep their bounds, and have the gumption and means to back it up. I do not wish to join the federal military for fairly obvious reasons, plus I do not like the idea of the federals owning my ass for a few tours of duty, bringing war to other nations and shattering lives there. For being largely self supplied their armaments are fairly impressive. I saw many automatics of vary designs (AK builds, M4/M16 builds) And well trained snipers/sharpshooters that function as military snipers should. A shooter and spotter working together quite well.

So what do you say? even if I joined and it turned out to not be what I thought, leaving is as simple as well... just walking away. Unlike the Federal military where you may face criminal charges for doing so. I think I would like the sense of community as well, even if it is with a Paramilitary organization.

Comments

• Live by the sword die by the sword. As long as they don't lose their screws like the Branch Davidians and so forth I think you have a good motivation.
  • Eek! Automatic weapons ... snipers ... I don't know, it just seems a long way removed from loving kindness and compassion.

May your choices be wise.
  • @Daozen It may be hard to understand, But the weapons are there for defense if need be. Of the state and its citizens. I think this video shows things quite well.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    A militia can only be improved by someone like you joining up. I can't see a downside :)
    cazCittatmottes
  • There are better examples of right intention, right action, right effort and right livelihood than joining the militia.
    There are many upsides to placing your efforts and aspirations in non military, non potentially killing scenarios. If these are not available then by all means take this only means of being helpful. :scratch:
    tmottes
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree -- very strongly -- with Lobster and Daozen.
  • The beard and sunglasses are cool though. :wow:
    lobster
  • Watched the video, they seem like "normal folks", except they are dressed and acting like soldiers, and training in weapons use, which means they are preparing to fight someone, but it's not clear who?
  • @Daozen Whatever threat presents itself. They are not training to go out and attack someone. Speaking with their members they made it pretty clear that they view themselves as the state's first responder to any form of attack. I also watched a video where they stood between a very controversial protest and counter-protest in Dearborn in order to keep the two sides off of each other's throats.
  • Isn't that what the police are paid to do? Why not join the state police dept. and get a career out of it?
  • www.buddhistmilitarysangha.com.blogspot/
    robot said:

Isn't that what the police are paid to do? Why not join the state police dept. and get a career out of it?

Or the National Guard?

• @Vinlyn and @robot Because they enforce federal law above all else, not to mention with the National Guard you are signing your life away entirely. They are even sending them now to go and kill people in nations we have no business being in. I have thought of joining the police however and I am not entirely willing to say that I have decided against them just yet. As with the police if they begin enforcing anything I find morally questionable the option to up and quit the force is still there. With the national guard or other branches of the military, you do not have that option.
    Jeffrey said:

Live by the sword die by the sword. As long as they don't lose their screws like the Branch Davidians and so forth I think you have a good motivation.

Actually, from what I read, this particular group was inspired by the Branch Davidians and Ruby Ridge.

• @Vinlyn the first incarnation of the MMC, founded by Norman Olsen was. But he lost the respect of the militia and was eventually ousted as Commander. The second elected Commander actually worked with the FBI to help rid the militia of such radicals. The current elected Commander is of a much more even temperament as well. I don't like to see all of these generalizations, especially when none of you have sat down and talked to these people. The people who I met were of many different races and creeds, even political affiliations. Their main concern was if there was some travesty, that instead of waiting around for someone to come and help, that they would step up to the plate first.
  • @Zayl if I am understanding you correctly, it is the National Guard that this group imagines that it will be fighting if needs be. And then the US military. How in their wildest dreams do they think they will stand up to them?
    Who decides when the federal government has overstepped their bounds?
    If it come down to crowd control, I think the police are likely better equipped and trained for it. And have the support of most of the population.
    No, in my view these guys are either playing soldiers with real guns and hoping for a chance to shoot someone, or they are dangerous radicals with a dark agenda.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Robot then you are wrong, I am sorry. But you seem to have a very warped view of them. And how things work here in the U.S. If the Federal government oversteps its bounds, it is the duty of the citizenry to say so. I'm not sure how things work where you are from. But here, at least on paper, if the government begins to inflict harm and wrongdoings upon the populace, it is within the populaces right to oppose them. Not to mention in such a case I would remind you that our Military have oaths sworn to serve the people of the U.S. not only the government. Yes the police are better equipped for Crowd Control, but during the Dearborn protests the police were actually appreciative of the aid lended to them by the Militia. I would also like to remind you that they are not preparing for civil war as you seem to think. They only acknowledge the possibility that at some point, our government may cease to have the best interests of its populace in mind. And anyone that thinks the government can never do wrong, are ignorant fools. And as for what they can do... I admit, not much against the full military might the U.S. has to offer. But they would be capable of fighting a rather long, drawn out guerrilla war in the vast wildernesses our state has, and that they know very well.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    As with all things, find the middle path. There seems to be an impression that joining a quasi-military force is "too far" in one direction, yet it's just as undesirable as going "too far" in the other direction. It's up to you, individually to find the middle here, and I feel like if you apply wisdom and thoughtfulness to this decision, it cannot be bad.
    RebeccaS
  • Preparing for a guerilla war against the government sounds like a fun hobby.
    :screwy:
    Jeffrey
    Zayl said:

@Vinlyn the first incarnation of the MMC, founded by Norman Olsen was. But he lost the respect of the militia and was eventually ousted as Commander. The second elected Commander actually worked with the FBI to help rid the militia of such radicals. The current elected Commander is of a much more even temperament as well. I don't like to see all of these generalizations, especially when none of you have sat down and talked to these people. The people who I met were of many different races and creeds, even political affiliations. Their main concern was if there was some travesty, that instead of waiting around for someone to come and help, that they would step up to the plate first.

There are plenty of first responders for any crisis that comes about.

But, although you asked for our opinions, you have clearly decided already to align yourself with a group that has no legal standing and is not authorized by any recognized vote of American citizenry.

Zayl said:

...But you seem to have a very warped view of them. And how things work here in the U.S. If the Federal government oversteps its bounds, it is the duty of the citizenry to say so. ...

Yes, we call those opportunities elections.

• @Zenff so you'd rather there be no check and balance?

@Brian I agree. And this is a decision I am not going to make lightly. I am still mulling it over, and will do so for quite some time. They are not only about fighting. They teach survival skills and medical training. A few years back when the portion of the state I lived in was hit with an ice storm, we were left without power for over a week, in near zero and below zero temperatures, no running water, no heat, no way to get into town (everything, every single surface was coated in ice.) and little food since we lapsed in our shopping.

I and my Grandfather knew what to do. I chopped firewood, he hunted and brought back meat. But many others did not know how to handle the situation, and we had more than a few fatalities. I would much rather be prepared.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Vinlyn you're a funny guy, I like you.
  • It looks like fun! Good luck with your decision :)
  • @RebeccaS Thank you. And I do want to make it clear that if I do actually decide to join them, if I find what they do is not what I believe in, I will most certainly walk away and not look back.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Zayl said:

@Zenff so you'd rather there be no check and balance?

You bring the famous Mao quote to mind:
    Every Communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
    http://art-bin.com/art/omao5.html
    I don’t think though, that the US armed forces are easily used for the suppression of the American people. They are a professional army, but that doesn’t give them the kind of privileges that will corrupt them enough to turn against their family and friends.

So I really don’t see any point in organizing armed resistance against the government beforehand.
    But if you enjoy the heroic fantasy and like crawling in the mud; go ahead and have fun.
  • @Zayl thanks for the response.
    I am from Canada where groups with caches of weapons are investigated and arrested.

Who is going to decide who to fight?
    I would ask, who other than the US military, would this group be training to fight against? Canadians? Not likely. Any other foreign invader would not even get their troops onto ships, nevermind land them on American soil before they were destroyed.
    So perhaps they would fight other militias with different political or religious views.
    Your government has lots of experience suppressing that kind of conflict if not a lot of success.
    Why would you want to even imagine waging long drawn out war in your own home state.
    People pulled from their homes never to be seen again. Drones prowling overhead shooting at combatants and civilians alike. Tanks and troops everywhere. Living the life you are imagining that you might prevent with a few thousand armed militia.
    Search and rescue and disaster relief is a respectable ambition for a group of citizens. Especially Buddhist citizens.
    Training for war should be left for the military under the control of a duly elected government.
    Spoken like a Canadian.
    RebeccaS
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Perhaps you could have the best of both worlds by picking up a martial art and joining the Red Cross or a similar organization.

guns have pretty much one purpose, and it's not to cut through the ice to save stranded people, or to patch wounds...

I see that the survival/outdoor/modern-day-ninja aspect of it is rather appealing, but you should keep in mind that you will become part of a larger machine in joining any organization, and their way of doing things will rub off on you. If most of them smoke, you will probably start smoking, if most of them drink, or if most of them cuss, or if most of them skeet shoot for fun...

Just some things to keep in mind.
    vinlynJeffreytmottes
  • robot said:

@Zayl if I am understanding you correctly, it is the National Guard that this group imagines that it will be fighting if needs be. And then the US military. How in their wildest dreams do they think they will stand up to them?
    Who decides when the federal government has overstepped their bounds?
    If it come down to crowd control, I think the police are likely better equipped and trained for it. And have the support of most of the population.
    No, in my view these guys are either playing soldiers with real guns and hoping for a chance to shoot someone, or they are dangerous radicals with a dark agenda.

That's what I was going to say. Those militia think their guns are going to stand a chance against the Federal Government, if it gets so bad that you're actually at war with your own country? That's utter nonsense. As for "disaster relief", the Red Cross and FEMA and whatever don't want amatures stomping around. What are you going to do, look for looters?

Even more troublesome, every militia is closely watched and infiltrated with government agents and snitches who are ready to lie and you run the chance of being arrested along with the entire group over one bad apple. Please consider the company.
    vinlynDaftChris
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Fortunately I’m not an American and there’s a huge ocean between us.
    But I think guerilla warfare doesn’t take sophisticated weaponry. It just takes cruelty and imagination.

If you want to fight the government you have to be willing to kill traitors (or just kill indiscriminately) in order to destabilize government power and establish support from civil society.
    I don’t think guerilla warfare is possible without terrorizing the civilian population. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    Think the scenario through to the end.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012
    There are so many valid points here. I don't know much about these militias, as someone said above, we don't have them in Canada and we didn't have them in the UK, and I can't say I really understand their purpose.

But going in the woods with guns and stuff, learning first aid... It sounds like boy scouts for grown ups! It looks like a lot of fun!

As someone pointed out above, there is a middle ground and that your intention going in counts.

I don't know how serious a commitment it is, but maybe you can just go hang out with them a little to get a feel for it? Then you have a real basis to determine whether it's for you or not.

Just an idea :)
  • I think your emphasis on service to others is commendable. But "states' rights" tends to be anti-minority. It's the federal gov't that passed and enforces civil rights.
    vinlyn
  • The militia's are listed on the ADL, and southern poverty law center; as violent groups. In their practice, they learn and fine tune technique on how to kill cops, government officals, and those who are deemed of the mud race. The idea of states rights sounds like a loughty goal, the problem is, it will never have teeth to defend itself; since it would mean allying with states that could you go away.

We tried the states the confederate model twice, with each one bringing the union a step to total destruction. Each citizen would have to abide by 50 state constitutions, and that state's penal code; each state a different monitary curency, and a multitude of indevidual states agreements to come to the others defence.

Each state with it's own taxing system, and each state with it's own brand of currency; saftey standards on semi trucks alone would have to be several books; and neither of the same standard.

these are only very few of the problems that would come around; religion, schooling, labor, and the classes of wealth would be a horrendous time of accounting. And, what of the land disputes. who do you call in to judge the dispute? or does it go to the ones who have the most guns?

vinlyn
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Zayl said:

The reasons I wish to join are, because I earnestly wish to help others, especially in the event of a disaster or other emergency. I also firmly believe that there must be protectors of State's rights, people who will wag their finger at the federal government if they begin to overstep their bounds, and have the gumption and means to back it up. .... I saw many automatics of vary designs (AK builds, M4/M16 builds) And well trained snipers/sharpshooters that function as military snipers should. A shooter and spotter working together quite well.

It's great wanting to do public service, but I'm not sure I get the second bit, which sounds like you'd be signing up as a potential insurgent? In my pre-Buddhist days I was a machine gunner in an army reserve unit - yes, infantry weapons are sexy, but don't forget what they are designed for.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Zayl said:

The reasons I wish to join are, because I earnestly wish to help others, especially in the event of a disaster or other emergency...

Just throwing out a suggestion, have you thought of being a Paramedic? Heaps of excitement there, you can make a living doing it, and there is no better job for helping people.
    Bringing Out The Dead isn't maybe the best promo for it but hey, cool movie anyway.
    Jeffrey
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Thought about being a paramedic (EMT) yeah, in fact it is a career choice I have earnestly been looking into. And based on what everyone has said here, I'll definitely re-think my position on it (The militia). However I would like to point out that the MMC has aided the police in search and rescue for missing persons before, and it was successful. They also aided an undermanned police force in keeping the peace between anti protesters and protesters in Dearborn before. They have not only trained with the Red Cross, but have also aided them during natural disasters here (looking at it, they only volunteered their manpower, leaving the decision making to the Red Cross). These things actually happened. Now the Hutaree Militia in my state is another matter. The Hutaree have plotted to kill police officers and other government officials, are vocally racist, whereas the MMC encourages all races and religions to join. The MMC is also very, very against the Hutaree. They had worked together once or twice in the past, which caused the MMC to be guilty by association when the Hutaree were caught with plots to attack law enforcement officials.

Someone said it on here that the MMC seems more like a boy scouts for adults, and that seems to be the case. Looking over their writings, even the MMC concedes that an attack of some sort, or any violent action is very, very unlikely. And that they are only following the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" in terms of arms training and weaponry. Their survival classes also seem somewhat interesting. It seems that the MMC is a lot less serious now, and that they like to focus on aid programs, medical training, and survival training. Afterwards taking their weapons to a range just for the fun of firing big guns. This vid sums it up nicely.

I will most certainly look over everything again though, to make certain. But the MMC seems to be very far removed from any sort of insurrectionist movement.
  • Want to defend your nation? - join the army.
    Want to fight crime? - join the police or FBI.
    Want to help in a national emergency? - join/volunteer for FEMA.
    Want to help individuals in pain? - become a paramedic, or learn First Aid.
    Want to learn survival skills - do a course (eg, www.weteachu.com).

Want to join a paramilitary group who hold themselves to be above the law and openly declare their potential willingness to commit treason by taking up arms against their own government, who have no accountability to anyone but themselves and are therefore highly susceptible to being controlled by charismatic nutters, who if push comes to shove will probably turn against their own members as "traitors" if things get serious and then you decide to walk away, who have no support from the public they declare themselves to protect, who have ZERO chance of defeating the well-equipped actual military, who wouldn't have enough personnel and firepower to defend a single medium-sized city let alone an entire state, and who have no logical reason to exist except as a kind of fantasy-camp for people who believe their own government to be against them (or at least potentially against them) ... join the MMC.
    vinlynJeffreylobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Well said Daozen, is it really true that warfare is an internal process (until we find some peace) . . . It seems that a Buddhism that does not allow some form of group people murdering potential is a little shallow? I could be a little wrong on this point . . .
    Surely we can have mayhem as a hobby if we justify it in the right way? Can we kill compassionately if we have to? Maybe using dum dum bullets to ensure every wound is fatal and does not lead to suffering? Buddhism is after all a religion of Peace and Peace has to be protected? (now where have I heard that before . . .) :screwy:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    And let's not entirely forget about the first precept... ;)
  • I didn't know they still had militias in the US? That sounds pretty archaic to me; like some remnant of the 18th Century or something.

vinlyn
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Welp, relax because Buddhism has nothing to do with this discussion, which is why I posted it in general banter. And you're all making it sound like that are bastardly, murdering insurgents. I've visited them again since I made this thread and took a very objective look around. They call themselves a militia but are anything but. Seems to be more of a social club for adults that teaches some survival and first-aid skills then shoot off their guns for the hell of it (I find that bit fun, myself.) while some of the more elderly members grumble about constitutional rights, the younger members only repeat a half-hearted, manufactured response. Indicating they do not believe what they say, but do so to spare themselves an earfull from the older members. In essence after looking at them really deep, they're a bit of a joke really. I'm not going to join.

But seriously 10/10 for making generalizations on here, all of you should be proud in your ignorance. From the way you make it sound, we're overrun by anti-government insurrectionists with a racist agenda that are plotting the next civil war. But oh, wait, guys in the woods with guns mildly concerned about constitutional law? Oh they absolutely must be murderous psychopaths. Right? I mean right? What else could they be?

I think this forum does such a wonderful job of claiming to be open-minded, accepting, and compassionate. But you're just the same as everyone else you decry. I've had it. All religions are the exact same bullshit. Adhere to exactly what we say or the entire community condemns you. I'm just over it. I mean, going by what else I read in other threads we should all be damn monks living on a mountain. But I hardly think any of you are so holy. You see something you might not like, and bear in mind I am NOT only talking about this thread... You see something you do not like and you see it as free license to act all high and mighty and to piss all over someone else's ideals.
  • Zayl said:

But seriously 10/10 for making generalizations on here, all of you should be proud in your ignorance.

Ahem!
    Zayl said:

But you're just the same as everyone else you decry. I've had it. All religions are the exact same bullshit.

Matthew 7:5 (There's a bit of Christian scripture to help you)

http://bible.cc/matthew/7-5.htm
  • Oh how clever. How long have you had that one in the holster? When I said "All" I was referring to the people in this thread, though I guess with the exception of RebeccaS, she seemed to understand what these guys were.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Zayl, you sound young and like you want a bit of adventure; maybe you would like to feel part of something bigger than yourself? When I was young, that was me.

Have you ever considered joining the military? I know lots of Buddhists would think "Oh no, you'll end up eating babies", but it's not like that.

Can I ask what you do now?
    So Zayl, you asked our opinions, and we gave them.

Now you don't like them.

What was the point?

tmottesDaozencaz
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @zayl It does get like the around here sometimes. If you don't agree with everyone there are people in the group who would like to make you feel like an outsider or like there is something wrong with you or that you're bad. NB is a pretty nice place generally, but sometimes, if your views are a bit different, it can get a bit lonely ;)

And I've felt exactly like you do... That Buddhism is no different to any other religion.

But that's not quite true. It's the people who are no different to people in any other religion. I think I was expecting Buddhists to be a little more on the ball, a little more gentle, a little more wise, a little better than everyone else. And then it turned out that Buddhists are just regular folk who get it wrong sometimes and aren't perfect and do all the regular human stuff and I was a little disappointed. :lol:

But don't be disheartened with Buddhism because people are just people no matter what religion we turn to. There will always be people who disagree with us, who make us feel bad, who put us down because people get it wrong sometimes. We all do, and Buddhists are no different.

At the end of the day we're here because we want to be Buddhas, not Buddhists if you know what I mean? Like the "I like your Christ but not your Christians" I love the Buddha but the Buddhists can be a bit loopy sometimes :lol: It will be like that no matter where we turn.

What I find interesting is how many of us turned away from Chritianity not because of the scripture but because of the communities we found ourselves in... But that's another topic I guess.

And for the most part around here, people are nice, the site is well moderated and things tend to be pretty friendly.

Anyway, hope this helps some :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Tosh honestly not much right now, I'd never consider joining the Military though, just not my style, and I've always had authority issues. Plus the Military likes to break you down then build you back up as someone else, my pride would not allow that. If I wanted to join something for adventure, well I was looking at the peace corps to be an option.

@Vinlyn Not sure, guess I was expecting more of a level-headed approach instead of an attack. Maybe I was misreading it but it seemed like a lot of toxic vehemence right out of the gate. Furthermore even though I understood most of the other posters opinions and took them to heart... well that does not mean I actually had to like them. A transition in thinking is often volatile.

@RebeccaS Thank you, and yes you are right. I just have to remember that people are people, no matter where you go. They don't get any better, but then again they don't get any worse (generally speaking) I'll keep what you have said in mind, for the future.

Bright side of this thread is though, @JamestheGiant your post re-kindled my interest in being an EMT, something I have pondered ever since I was a little kid. Though back then I just called them "Ambulance people" I never really found out where to go or what to do in order to be one, however. But I will look into it more seriously. Think I may have finally found my career path.
    I was thinking about the reaction of most of us to this topic. And I got to thinking about the power and importance of words.

Let's see, if I go to a Bunco game at the Y, it's pretty much the same as the other Bunco group I go to. "Bunco" has a meaning.

If I go to a bowling league in Colorado Springs, it's just about the same as a bowling league in Virginia. "Bowling league" has a meaning.

If I go to a soup kitchen in Denver, it's pretty much the same as a soup kitchen in Washington, D.C. "Soup kitchen" has a meaning.

And of course, there's a difference between a definition and common use. But either way, when we say most such words, we pretty much know what we are getting into.

And that brings me to "militia". There's a dictionary definition, and there's the common usage. People today have a pretty good sense of what an unofficial militia is. So, we first reacted to that. Why wouldn't we? The MMC calls itself a militia. The OP made the point that it isn't anything like it used to be when it was affiliated with groups that associated with Ruby Ridge and the like. Why did they decide -- even when it became something different (if it really did) to keep the same name? This is what we reacted to. Because it's sort of like the old saying -- if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...it's a duck.

• I hope you become an EMT. Bravo. Good karma. Real help.
    I wish you well . . . so I feel does everyone else . . . :wave:
  • vinlyn said:

Because it's sort of like the old saying -- if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...it's a duck.

Or a VERY confused goose.
    Daozenlobster