Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite buddhism books?

Hey I've been reading alot of Thich Nhat Hanh and he is absolutely brilliant!
Though I've finished my latest book by him, Peace is Every Step and would like some suggestions on some other great buddhist authors/books?

Comments

• Pema Chodron is good. Her teacher Dzigar Kongtrul is also good. I mention her because I think Thich is kind of nurturing and Pema is great for reading if you have been challenged in hard times.
  • waffleswaffles New
    edited November 2012
    Thanks man! Never heard of her I'll check them both out now.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    It is difficult to find bad books on Buddhism :)
    After a lot of work I found one on cosmology and another by a monk criticising the previous Popes intentions . . . :banghead:

Other than avoiding those, follow your Heart . . . happy reading . . .
  • Being good by Ven. Hsing Yun .

For Chan / pureland Buddhism ... here are some free books online http://www.budaedu.org/ebooks/
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    So many.
    I have found that Pema Chodron's teachings are incredibly helpful for ways to bring my meditation practice into my daily life.

I absolutely adored "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Venerable H. Gunaratana Mahathera. My sister picked this book up at a Theravadan retreat. It is a free book, easy to read, and every paragraph is a world of wisdom. You are asked to pass it on once you have finished with it.
    This book is distributed by the Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation in Taiwan. Perhaps you can get a copy from them (one should pay for shipping, even if not asked): email: overseas@budaedu.org

Here's the thing about Buddhism ... it is something you "do", not something you "read". It's not an academic study, and all wisdom is gained firsthand from our observation and insight as we live our life. Books DO help us clarify what we are seeing, or point us to what to look for, or give us some techniques or practices to do, or temporarily increase our motivation to practice. But books don't replace our own practice. It's like the difference between reading about what an orgasm feels like and actually experiencing an orgasm.
    Citta
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Whoops ... minimayhen 88 has given a link to "budaedu", and you can download "Mindfulness in Plain English" from there. Thank you MM88!!!
  • I would recommend " Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism " by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche..
    I would also bear in mind something said by Ajahn Chah
    " The only book worth reading is the book of the heart ".
  • Agree that Thich Nhat Hanh is amazing, and he is my favourite Buddhist author.

I also highly recommend Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
    Jeffrey
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    "What Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula and "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Henepola Gunaratana are really good.

Also "The Monk and the Philosopher" and "In Defense of Happiness" from Matthieu Ricard are outstanding.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    "The Way of the Bodhisattva" by Shantideva but translated by Padmakara Group. Love it, and read it constantly.

"The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche is very good and has a lot of wisdom in it. Much of it does deal with the death process and what to do during, and after someone dies. I started reading it when my grandma was very ill and found it to be a terrific book.

"The Excellent Path to Enlightenment: Oral Teachings on the Root Text of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo" by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. This was recommend by my teacher prior to taking refuge vows. I thought it would be a bit dry but it is fantastic.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Food for the Heart was one of my early favourites. I'd also recommend What the Buddha Thought . And if you're looking for free stuff, Access to Insight has a huge selection of book, essays, and study guides by various authors like Thanissaro Bhikkhu (my personal favourite).
  • Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" is a favourite, particularly the chapters on nature of mind and meditation.

I loved "What Makes You Not a Buddhist" by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse for it's delivery as much as content.

I found "Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom" by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche to be very accessable given that I am reasonably new to Buddhism.

Don't think I've ever read a book on Buddhism I didn't get something out of, even it was was just to recognise I was not at that level of understanding yet.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Any book by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is worth a read my favourite out of them would have to be " Joyful path of Good fortune " a simply amazing commentary on putting Lamrim into practice in your daily life.

I also have a soft spot for the works of Bhikkhu Bodhi who makes the Pali Sutta's accessible and relevant for the reader with a very insightful commentary. Im current working through his book " In the Buddha's words "
  • No Self No Problem by Anam Thubton:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1559393262/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

When I've overcomplicated stuff, reading this book reminds me that just because something is complex and demanding doesn't mean we're going to benefit from it.

It's great for someone new to Buddhism, or even for someone who has been around a bit.