Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meal Offering

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited November 2012 in Sanghas
Went to a meal offering and impromptu house blessing today, which is sort of a Thai Buddhist tradition where someone invites a monk or a group of monks to accept their daily meal at their house, especially after just moving in. Occasions like this are often festive affairs, with people bringing all kinds of dishes to offer and share. It's basically like a big potluck with a bit of Pali chanting thrown in for good measure. It's always a pleasant experience, and the food is always wonderful. One of the ladies even offered to teach me how to cook traditional Thai dishes sometime after Thanksgiving, and I'm definitely going to take her up on that.

As far as I can recall, this was my first meal offering outside of a monastery or meditation hall, and I'm glad I was able to make it. I almost missed out because I wasn't paying as much attention as I should've been while looking up the directions and took the wrong bus, jumping on the 4 instead of the 14. If nothing else, today was at least a good lesson on the importance of mindfulness. :p

Just thought I'd share that for anyone interested.
RodrigoVastmind

Comments

• Thanks for sharing
    All nutrition welcome :)
    Reminds me of one of the best meals I ever had, was after serving Thai monks their one meal . . . cooked to melt in the mouth perfection and devotion . . .
  • That looks like so much fun!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jason said:

Went to a meal offering and impromptu house blessing today...

I recently attended quite a large celebration which was to mark the opening of a new Buddhist centre. The monks were given lots of new robes and various other offerings.
    There were a lot of Thai people there, very nice curry for lunch.

• Yes, it’s wonderful to have a Buddhist party. We met with Sri Lankans mostly.

A Sri Lankan lady making kale or borecole (from the Dutch word “boerenkool”) was an enlightening experience. Instead of a dull potato hotchpot, borecole can be a hot Asian dish.