Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist 'People Of Color Sanghas,' Diversity Efforts Address Conflicts About Race Among Meditators!

Comments

• I commented on this story... then I edited my comment after I thought about it for a while.... but this is my second thought(s) on it:

I do not agree with the idea of Sanghas for different races.
    Buddhism is/should be taught and explained with absolutely no regard, deference, or bias for skin color. None.
    To expect "special" groups, special accommodations or race specific teachers is (IMO) completely contradictory to the principles of Buddhism in the recognition and detachment from self and ego.
    I agree with "beginner" groups and meditation classes... for sure. Because it's normal for many people who are new to groups, or meeting new people under new circumstances or in unfamiliar surroundings to feel a little shy, awkward or uncomfortable. SOME may even perceive these feelings as feeling "unwelcome". So to have beginner classes/meditations makes sense until a person no longer feels like a "beginner".

But racially specialized classes? I call that ridiculous.
    RebeccaSDaltheJigsawcazdriedleaf
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree MaryAnne. It is not unlike when I was a teacher back in Virginia. I had a number of students who were interested in starting an "international club", as a means to bring people together. So we did, and it served its purpose pretty well.

Then a few students came to me wanting to start a Korean Club. I refused, but another teacher started one for them. Then some students wanted to start a Vietnamese Club. I refused. Another teacher consented. And then some students wanted to start a Black Club. And that's when the shit hit the fan and people finally started realizing that they were encouraging separation of the races and ethnicity.
    MaryAnneOneLifeFormsean
  • Interesting. Like probably most white Buddhists who read this, I first felt a knee-jerk reaction to deliberately segregated sanghas. Race and nationality is certainly an entirely superficial matter. Plus the question popped up, why do these particular people feel uncomfortable and not welcome at the normal sangha?

But after some thought, I realized that was my limited view speaking and I wasn't looking at it from their point of view. We do have a big problem with Western Buddhism being mostly white folk. A person of color doesn't have to have a reason to feel uncomfortable when walking into a room full of white folks. It's hard enough for a white person to walk into a room full of strangers, people who are familiar with what's going on and each other. Who am I to say the black person should just trust that their looks don't matter? They live a life where they're reminded it does matter, every day.

So I wish them the best, if that's what it takes to expose them to the Dharma. As the article states, we can hope as these groups become familiar with the Dharma, they give us an opportunity to show we walk the walk. And maybe they will have something to teach us when all this bears fruit.
    Separate but equal never is.
    BhanteLucky
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I would hope that over time groups that choose to exclude certain members study enough to be able to see everyone as one. Cinorjer is right that their race matters every day in society, but it takes each person to work out of that, and to me, choosing to have a group out of discomfort does nothing to fix that issue. I am white but I've been the minority in several situations in my life, and my discomfort was my problem, not the problem of the other people around me, and it was up to me to overcome and deal with my feelings on it, and I did. Running home to surround myself only with those like me doesn't do a thing to resolve my discomfort, it only covers it up. Perhaps they will start off this way and feel okay to expand. I understand why they feel how they do, I just feel that people need to work past that and not continue to encourage it, especially in the name of Buddhism.
    MaryAnne
    If I had allowed myself to feel uncomfortable in Buddhist Thailand, then I would never have gone into a Buddhist temple to begin with. That would have been my fault, not theirs.

And this whole issue goes back to the often written about "most segregated hour of American life" is church.
  • @Cinorjer

So, Let's say I have an interest in wood carving. I join a wood carving beginner's class in order to learn the basics; learn the different kinds of wood, how to use the tools, and to start working with wood, etc.
    I attend the first class, and look- I'm the only woman there. The men there smiled, said hello, but other than that, no one went out of their way to welcome me or acknowledge that I was the only woman in the class... however, no one was rude or anything.

After a couple of classes I still felt uncomfortable. I felt too 'different' to relax and open up, or ask questions. I really stuck out like a sore thumb in this class.

Now who's problem is this? Is the class or teacher doing anything wrong or anything to make me feel uncomfortable? No.
    What is it that I expected? Several other women in the class?
    Or deep down, did I now expect to be treated "special" - being as how I'm the only woman in the class?
    Would I feel less uncomfortable if some of the men there made a fuss over me- giving me extra help, or paying a little extra attention to me because I am the only woman there? How do /did I expect them to react? Is this why I'm feeling "unwelcome"?
    I mean come on... these are MY issues. Not the teacher's or the class'.
    No one is doing anything to me.

So now I get the idea of starting an All-female wood carving class... after all, if *I* feel this way, ALL women must feel this way in wood carving classes everywhere.
    And guess what? I'm not allowing ANY men in. There, that'll show 'em.

I mean, seriously, where's the maturity in that?
    What makes that the 'right' thing to do?
    Well, to me, this is exactly what is going on with this all-African/Native American Buddhist sangha.

My first knee jerk reaction was "Yes! Nothing wrong with accommodating their needs and wants as African /Native-Americans studying Buddhism and meditation ... Why shouldn't they start their own Sangha?"

Then I thought about it more. Now I feel differently. I believe it's counter-productive and a completely ego-based reaction.
  • @MaryAnne I see the point. I would be fascinated to find out a year from now, what's happened to the group. The "no white folks allowed" in particular makes me grit my teeth. But, if the Teacher knows what she's doing, maybe there will be a few more non-white faces in the general meditation sessions later.

I always have to stop to ask what happens if you flip the coin. Would they be ok if a group existed that said "No black people allowed"? I doubt it, the ACLU would probably be involved. I think they are limiting themselves in who they can get experience and teachings from by excluding people, and overall I think it is a mistake. Like I said I do understand the feelings, I just don't think the way they are going about it addresses what the true problem is.
    vinlynMaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I don't think it's for us to dictate to those who have been systematically disempowered in our society whom they should feel comfortable studying with. If men and women of color feel more comfortable studying "among their own", as one woman in the article phrased it, and if that's what it takes to spread the Dharma, then so be it. I'm happy Buddhists of color have sanghas where they're happy. We haven't walked in their shoes, so we can't fully understand what their issues are. Why can't we be supportive of their process? Why can't they organize around their needs without judgment or "approval" from us?
    karastiJeffrey
    I think the reason that many of us disagree with that position is that it's one of the same reasons that racist White people used for holding back Black people. For example:

I don't feel comfortable staying in the same hotel as a Negro.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro swim in the same pool.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro drink out of our water fountain.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro use the same restroom.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro eat at the same restaurant or lunch counter.

Either that principle is "right", or it's not.
    MaryAnne
  • How did I guess someone would use that argument? The key difference is that Whites were/are the power base in the US. Keeping others out only further disempowers them. It's an abuse of power. When marginalized people create gather for worship among themselves, what harm is done?

Are student groups based on race illegal or somehow immoral? The Native American student union, the Black student union, the Chicano association at universities--no one objects to those. Why isn't there a White student union? Because it's not necessary. The other groups form because they've always been shut out. They need to organize for mutual support and to give themselves a voice in a system that tends to turn a deaf ear to their concerns.

I really don't see a problem. Why should we crash their party? Because it irks us to be excluded, when we're used to calling the shots? :wtf:
  • vinlyn said:

I think the reason that many of us disagree with that position is that it's one of the same reasons that racist White people used for holding back Black people. For example:

I don't feel comfortable staying in the same hotel as a Negro.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro swim in the same pool.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro drink out of our water fountain.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro use the same restroom.
    I don't feel comfortable having a Negro eat at the same restaurant or lunch counter.

Either that principle is "right", or it's not.

In A.A. we have (for example) women only groups. Why? Because due to the nature of alcoholism, many women have trust issues with men, so they need somewhere they can go to feel safe. We also have gay A.A. groups; same reason; gay alkies need somewhere they can go to feel safe.

I would hope after a certain amount of time, like a child growing up and leaving it's mother's apron strings, that these people feel secure enough to integrate into mainstream A.A., but I can see the value and need for minority groups like this.

I think things are rarely so black and white with regards to a principle being either 'right' or 'not right'. It depends on the circumstances.

Dakinipegembara
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Why not if it helps bring them into Dharma, That means they will be able to deal with their race issues.
    seeker242pegembara
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Because nothing says interdependance like segregation.

They are just perpetuating the problem.

Perhaps we should burn books in order to get a bigger library.
    I see value in both points, @MaryAnne and @Dakini. On one level, yes, the most important thing is that they found the Dharma and found people to practice with. It makes a huge difference for some people to have a Sangha to practice with (including myself). On the other side, I do agree, as I said before, that it doesn't seem like a very Buddhist practice to specifically exclude groups. I'm not personally offended at being excluded, it doesn't affect me. But sometimes (and I'm trying to say this lightly and sensitively here) I get the impression that sometimes these groups come to be not because it's just the right thing for them, but to "stick it to the white man" so to speak and that part of it offends me. I'm not saying that is what these people are doing, I don't know enough about them or their group to say so. But in other cases I've seen, it does seem to be that way and it's just encouraging divisiveness. I hope that isn't the case with a group of people that is choosing to study the Dharma which is meant to bring us all together with interconnectedness.

Without variety we risk only being like what we already hold. There is no one to challenge our views and expand our horizons, and to really understand Buddhism, IMO, that is necessary. When you take your perceptions and beliefs and only choose to be around people of the same beliefs, then where is the need to investigate your perceptions and challenge and in time, change them? Will they learn to practice compassion for the people that challenge them if they just segregate themselves from them? Sometimes, segregation just happens. But to specifically cause it to happen just really rubs me the wrong way.

I do also think that white people tend to be really sensitive at anything that insinuates that we make others feel uncomfortable. Racism still is alive and well in this country, unfortunately (and most others as well) but there are a lot of us who really do believe in equality, and hearing that people of other races seem to assume that all white people make them uncomfortable makes us uncomfortable. We want to welcome them, but they don't want to be welcomed, and sometimes that's a hard pill to swallow.
    RebeccaSMaryAnnevinlyn
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    ourself said:

But would the same argument apply to say a young peoples' Sangha, or an LGBT Sangha, or a womens' Sangha?
  • I'm with @maryanne 100%
    @PedanticPorpoise for me, because this is Buddhism, yes. With normal groups it doesn't bother me so much, but I guess because of the nature of Buddhism it bothers me more than say, college groups or community groups. I would have the same problem if it were a Christian church, Jewish temple, etc saying "no whites allowed" "no blacks allowed" etc because it just feels like it goes against the nature of what religion is about.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If is is beneficial to the people involved to make them feel more comfortable going to a dharma / meditation class that they would not otherwise go to, nothing wrong with that.
  • It's a sad reflection of where we are as a society.

White people think they understand but they don't - they sympathise at best.

There is a certain corrosive quality to systemic discrimination and genocide - issues that continue to manifest and perpetuate to this very day.
    I absolutely agree, @Zero. But is the answer in continuing to segregate out of personal perceptions and feelings, which is exactly what Buddhists should be investigating? I guess, to me, Sanghas should be open communities, and that means all of them. The only exception I'd make is for youth, because young kids just do not need to be part of some of the discussions adult groups have, and even in that case I think it would be better to include them in group meditation and chants etc and only split into groups for discussion time.

Overall, I am happy that they are studying and practicing at all. But I hope they will use their practice to investigate why they feel unwelcome and uncomfortable, because it is not that they are being *made* to feel so. They are choosing to feel that way. I absolutely get that the issues go far deeper than I can ever appreciate. I have a very good friend who is First Nations and the depth of her pain over what happened to her ancestors is something I'll never understand on her level. But even she agrees it is her choice whether to move on and improve things for herself and further generations. Progress can only be made in going forward, not in staying the same. I hope that creating a Sangha is a step forward and that it continues for them.
    MaryAnne
  • I'm with you on the 'open sangha' - close to when I first joined here, there was a chap who was banned - I remember taking issue with this and petitioning on his behalf - the main thrust of my point was the world at large is so quick to exclude, can we not as a 'buddhist' online community be more accepting?

The ban remained - but for good reason no doubt (I should also say that I am assured that Lincoln keeps the door open for repenters!)

My point is loosely around this - a community regulates its membership - there have been people in this community who have been judged unsuitable - this may have been because they consistently cause offence or troll - an attribute or other that is viewed by the community as a whole (or by proxy through its management) as undesirable.

So someone who is out to annoy you is banned.

What about someone who represents a race that wiped out your race's culture and heritage?

I guess it really depends on what 'race' means to you.

Choosing /made to feel... I dont know... it's tough one - on one level it is a choice (as everything is) but on another it is a major established and pervading facet of a person's reality - so yes, their response may not be the most conducive to harmonious resolution but that said, it is their response to the particular stimulus.

I find it challenging seeing how, as a society, we can move forward when there has not been justice for historical issues and even today, the horror continue unabated.

I share your sentiment that practice is better than no practice and your wish that these steps lead to foundations of a permanent resolution to such issues.
    But aren't they choosing to see all white people are representative of what people did many years ago? To me it's very different when one person behaves in such a manner that they are ousted from a community (I tend to believe those people need the most support and compassion, but they have to be willing to accept it, too) than an entire group of people feeling uncomfortable towards an entire other group of people who had nothing to do with what happened so long ago. They want equality on one hand, but when they segregate themselves on purpose, they make that goal more difficult to achieve. Like I said, sometimes it comes across as a "we're going to exclude them simply because we can, because they did it to us" and that just doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I do agree that it's very difficult to move forward, for all of us, when the issues have not been righted. Decades after atrocities, apologies only mean so much.
  • The only race worth belonging to is the one to enlightenment.

As someone who has been refused entry to two temples (so far) I am well aware of the exclusive and restrictive nature of the dharma politzie.

Buddhism is open to be practiced by the constipated, the free and open and the spiritually insane (that would be me).

It is a wonderful thing to accept that people need to feel selected, tulkus, advanced practitioners, true believers or some other form of separation.

My Buddhism is based on Rumi
    Come, come, whoever you are.
    Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving — it doesn't matter,
    Ours is not a caravan of despair.
    Come, even if you have broken your vow a hundred times,
    Come, come again, come.

As well as drive through temples and sangha on a revolving pedestal, I believe Buddhism has much to offer the downtrodden, terminally superior and anyone able to say or think OM MANI PEME HUM
    Sile
  • cue the canned applause....
    Dakini said:

How did I guess someone would use that argument? The key difference is that Whites were/are the power base in the US. Keeping others out only further disempowers them. It's an abuse of power. When marginalized people create gather for worship among themselves, what harm is done?

Are student groups based on race illegal or somehow immoral? The Native American student union, the Black student union, the Chicano association at universities--no one objects to those. Why isn't there a White student union? Because it's not necessary. The other groups form because they've always been shut out. They need to organize for mutual support and to give themselves a voice in a system that tends to turn a deaf ear to their concerns.

I really don't see a problem. Why should we crash their party? Because it irks us to be excluded, when we're used to calling the shots? :wtf:

You asked are student groups based on legal somehow immoral. In my view, it depends on the purpose for the group. I have seen such groups in schools that were a celebration of culture and an effort to maintain a sense of that culture in a different world. And usually, those types of cultural organizations do activities where they occasionally share their culture with others.

But I have also seen student "cultural groups" which become mouthpieces for slandering other groups to the point that their are frequent fights and the atmosphere becomes gang-like.

karasti said:

@PedanticPorpoise for me, because this is Buddhism, yes. With normal groups it doesn't bother me so much, but I guess because of the nature of Buddhism it bothers me more than say, college groups or community groups. I would have the same problem if it were a Christian church, Jewish temple, etc saying "no whites allowed" "no blacks allowed" etc because it just feels like it goes against the nature of what religion is about.

I would just modify one sentence and say it's "against the nature of what religion should be about".

MaryAnne
    @vinlyn, true true!
  • karasti said:

But aren't they choosing to see all white people are representative of what people did many years ago?

...an entire group of people feeling uncomfortable towards an entire other group of people who had nothing to do with what happened so long ago.

Like I said, sometimes it comes across as a "we're going to exclude them simply because we can, because they did it to us" and that just doesn't get anyone anywhere.

I do agree that it's very difficult to move forward, for all of us, when the issues have not been righted. Decades after atrocities, apologies only mean so much.

Such a difficult issue.

I take your point on many years ago / causal link... that said, the issues are still ongoing, 'white' society is still benefitting, there have not been reparations, noone is held to account, the institutions remain... it is not as overt in some regards but the effects are similar if not the same.

Reading the article itself, the reason for the exclusion seemed to me to be varied, institutionalised and more subtle than 'just because they can':

e.g.

"They feel anxiety, stress and a sense of being rejected by white Buddhists or are unable to find a connection to the established sanghas"

"Being an American Indian woman, I am judged all the time. I just feel more accepted if it's not white people telling me what to do, how to meditate,"

Could this be akin to a 'same sex' situation? comfort of kin?

You're quite correct that it is a matter of personal perception and choice - that said, there are I suppose only so many cheeks to turn.

I find great difficulty in imagining even a hypothetical resolution - human beings by their nature are xenophobic, fatally competitive and vicious.

It's terribly sad that minorities seek refuge within their own race.

Also terribly sad that 'white' people who genuinely care about the issues feel ostracised...

Rambling thoughts... no solution - lots of deletes and retypes...

For my part, I would be put off by an organisation that excludes in this way - that's just my personal choice though - I seek the dream even if it's not attainable in my lifetime - not sure how else to approach it.
    Let me tell you a brief story about how I came to Buddhism, and compare that to a story about how I first experienced Islam.

I knew nothing about Buddhism the first year (about 1986) that I went to Thailand on a vacation. But of course, one of the things that you do sightseeing in Thailand is visit Buddhist temples. And for the first 10 days I was on my own and was the typical tourist outsider. I went into the touristy temples and enjoyed the architecture and the beauty. Then, my Thai roommate in America had arranged for me to spend a week in Chiang Mai, where his family would spend some time with me. On our first day of sightseeing, we went to one of the most famous Buddhist temples on the mountain that overlooks Chiang Mai. They spent about an hour sharing with me many of the traditions and things Buddhists do at temples. Not in an effort to convert, but just in an effort to share. It opened a whole new world to me. I quickly found I could walk into any Thai Buddhist temple, and if they sensed I was genuinely interested, I would be included in any activity that was going on. Once a Thai friend and I walked into a temple in the northeast plateau and were so welcomed, even though there was a ceremony going on. I was treated like an honored guest. I had no idea what the ceremony was because of the language barrier, but I was fascinated. After it was over I asked my Thai friend what kind of ceremony it was. It was a funeral! Yet, I was welcomed in. Another year I happened to visit one of the most important temples in Bangkok when there was an ordination ceremony. There were no other Westerners there that day, and I was watching from the doorway. Several lay people, and then one of the senior monks led me into the ubosot and had me sit with the men who were about to be ordained. And that's what I always found in Thai Buddhist temples (including here in the States) -- come right in and be a part.

On the other hand, as I traveled through Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia, I was just as interested in learning about the Muslim culture. I recall when touring the Andaman Islands and stopping at one of the islands for lunch, seeing a small Muslim Mosque and walking over to it to go inside. There was a sign on the outside that actually said: "Non-Muslims may not enter, but you may give money." Yeah...right.

Then in Kuala Lumpur I went down to the main historic mosque. I dressed very conservatively, didn't carry my camera, and got to the front gate. One sign on the gate said "No Visitors". Next to it a sign said "Open to visitors" and gave the times. So, I walked through the gates. If looks could kill... And still, as I traveled through Malaysia and struck up conversations with locals (and I have heard the same thing here in the States, as well), Muslims would lament that "Americans don't try to understand us" or "Americans don't try to understand Islam". Well, duh.

Finally, in Singapore I found a major mosque that was welcoming to visitors and even gawking tourists.

MaryAnne

ourself said:

But would the same argument apply to say a young peoples' Sangha, or an LGBT Sangha, or a womens' Sangha?
    There's a big difference between a sangha (or the YMCA or the Methodist Church, etc.) that has special activities for various subgroups, than a sangha where only gay people or women are allowed.

I don't think the people in the article mentioned are doing it to snub white people, just that I've seen it apparent in other similar groups in the past. As far as ongoing issues, yes, what you mentioned but also still blatant abuses that go on on reservations as well. The amount of poverty and sexual abuse of children and forgotten people on reservations is extensive, and quite sad. It makes the news here often because we live close enough to SD to hear a lot about Pine Ridge, and because there is a recently-brought-to-light issue with a reservation in ND, where we used to live(in ND not on the reservation), where child abuse is rampant. Kids as young as preschool simulating sex acts with each other, kids being placed with sex offenders, as many as 60% of teenager reporting being sexually abused. That stuff happens on a lot of reservations, and it's basically ignored and/or not even recognized. The federal government has failed to prosecute up to 75% of crimes against children in Spirit Lake, so now there is a huge investigation going on.

People are forgotten, and it's sad. I understand why they feel how they do. There are no easy answers, for sure. I just wish they could see that not all people are like that, that we aren't uncaring about their problems. But even in the case of being able to donate money to help, much of that money is taken by tribe elders and not given to the people, etc. It makes it difficult to help.

The problems of course aren't limited to Native Americans, it's just what I see more, based on where I live/have lived. Looking at any social statistic out there it's clear to see minority races come up short in basically every area.

• Any group for what ever reason practicing with age restriction, initiation restriction, gender restriction, is practicing. Next some of us will want to join the kiddie class because Buddhism is 'open'.
    It would be wonderful if we all felt comfortable all of the time with everyone. Not all of us do. That is dukkha. It is also a fact of life. :)
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I don't think it really hurts anyone if they rather practice in little groups or special groups. It is human nature for people to try to establish a social group within society anyhow. If being in a special group helps your practice, then stick with it. If it starts to affect your practice, then you should try and loosen the string. Have metta for "all" sentient beings, even the ones you do not like.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Tosh said:

In A.A. we have (for example) women only groups. Why? Because due to the nature of alcoholism, many women have trust issues with men, so they need somewhere they can go to feel safe. We also have gay A.A. groups; same reason; gay alkies need somewhere they can go to feel safe.

I would hope after a certain amount of time, like a child growing up and leaving it's mother's apron strings, that these people feel secure enough to integrate into mainstream A.A., but I can see the value and need for minority groups like this.

Well said. I think the comment by one of the women interviewed in the article makes it clear that there are trust issues. I was going to use the example of women-only groups, but I couldn't think of a good one. Trying to bust up a support group seems like a control issue. It's not about "Dharma from an African American point of view", and the like. It's about people creating an environment where they feel safe. This is the first stage in the healing process. Isn't the Dharma about healing, and ultimately abandoning illusions, grasping, suffering and concepts of "self"?

Zero
    I wouldn't want to bust them up, by any means :) I just hope, as Tosh suggested with AA, that as time goes on, they will feel ok to join the masses and still feel safe and secure. I understand their reasons, I just wish the world wasn't a place where such things are necessary.
    Zero
  • A good question to ponder is whether we are over-reacting to the whole issue and why?
    Two men were arguing about a flag flapping in the wind. "It's the wind that is really moving," stated the first one. "No, it is the flag that is moving," contended the second. A Zen master, who happened to be walking by, overheard the debate and interrupted them. "Neither the flag nor the wind is moving," he said, "It is MIND that moves."
    “Ajahn Chah, I have been disturbed by the noise that the villagers are making in the night. I cannot sleep.”
    He continued somewhat hopefully, “Can I get your help in telling them to stop their partying sometime around midnight?”
    Ajahn Chah turned to the young monk.
    He replied, “It is not that the noise is disturbing you.”
    He then went on, “You are disturbing the noise.”
    To be honest, I think Buddhists cling to such abstract stories.
  • vinlyn said:

Ajahn chah: Buddhists don't cling to abstract stories. Abstract stories cling to Buddhists.

lobsterkarasti
    music said:

vinlyn said:

Ajahn chah: Buddhists don't cling to abstract stories. Abstract stories cling to Buddhists.

As I said.

• music said:

vinlyn said:

But both the Buddhists and the abstract stories are Emptiness. There's nothing to cling or to be clung to. :D

• On this basis I will continue to attend empty classes by not going or coming. ;)

If a far right extremist group started Buddhist meditation classes for whites only, I would be there. Not very likely but even the hell dwellers have to start somewhere. I would bring Jewish foods and develop tanning to gradually acclimatise them to alternative forms of metta.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/09/15/i-cant-believe-im-saying-this-but-im-siding-with-the-kkk-on-this-issue/

• I get the reasoning, but if such a group fosters an "us versus them" attitude, then it will likely be counterproductive.

Here's my compromise:

Have a "diversity" sitting group of mostly people of color, and taught by a person of color, but with some small fraction of white students, like 10-25%, (pre-arranged by waiting list). That way, non-whites won't feel threatened, but, at the same time, it won't devolve into a hate-whitey club. And hopefully, whites and non-whites can come away with a positive experience because of the diversity.

Integration, not separation.
  • America has a tense relationship with race. To this day there's quite a bit of unease around the issue. I am not surprised that it's spilling over into the Buddhist community. Afterall, we're only human.

America has a tense relationship with race. To this day there's quite a bit of unease around the issue. I am not surprised that it's spilling over into the Buddhist community. Afterall, we're only human.

That's a good point, and yes, the issue of race is alive and well in America. It was discussed on a radio talk show yesterday that the map of Obama versus Romney states almost matches exactly the map of Confederate versus Union states during the Civil War.

• I am a person of colour. White is a combination of colours. Black is an absence of colour. Skin tone is not an indication of race. Apart from creationists we all are Africans.
    If people wish to have practice groups for republicans, bankers, marxists or tibetans only, so what. Go to the universalist practice groups, you will be welcome and so will those who practice in secret, in segregation, in berkas, as nudists, in Gay groups, in new age communes, for mental health etc . . . This is a none issue. It is mind chatter. Oh mind chatterers are welcome at most groups too . . .
    Dakini
  • vinlyn said:

America has a tense relationship with race. To this day there's quite a bit of unease around the issue. I am not surprised that it's spilling over into the Buddhist community. Afterall, we're only human.

That's a good point, and yes, the issue of race is alive and well in America. It was discussed on a radio talk show yesterday that the map of Obama versus Romney states almost matches exactly the map of Confederate versus Union states during the Civil War.

Not according to the blue/red state maps I saw, not at all.

^ To be honest, we both stated it incorrectly.

Of the states in the Confederacy, 83% went Republican in 2012. So, saying it was an almost perfect match was overstating it. But saying it was "not at all" a match, was not correct either.