Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Right Action Dilemma

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I saw the young guys who live across the street sell drugs (not sure what it was but the deal was fairly obvious) to someone in their front yard yesterday afternoon.

On the face of it I don't care as it has no affect on me or my life. However, my wife and I know the lady who they rent the house from (she looks after our daughter at occasional care) but she did ask us to let her know if we ever have any issues with them........do you think I should mention this to her?

My gut feeling is not to but I'm interested in other people's thoughts.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    I would go with your gut. We have had neighbours selling drugs. My neighbour takes drugs. Not my business as he is a good neighbour.

Do not effect that which is not your business . . . get involved in drug counselling or some useful action if you want to be pro-active.

That would be my advice. :wave:
    JeffreyBhikkhuJayasara
  • Is drug-dealing and using that common now, that people have observed neighbors selling or using?? I wouldn't want that going on in my neighborhood. But that's just me, I guess. :scratch:
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I would go talk to her.

Just because it hasn't been your problem so far doesn't mean it won't become one. Dealers aren't nice people, the people they deal with aren't nice people and you have a child. Nip it in the bud.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

Just because it hasn't been your problem so far doesn't mean it won't become one. Dealers aren't nice people, the people they deal with aren't nice people and you have a child. Nip it in the bud.

I have spoken to these young men and they are ok in my opinion. I have no problem with drugs (I would be a screaming hypocrite if I said I did) even though I rarely take them myself these days.

It is more about the owner of the house than me. My wife feels the same way.
    There are those who deal in the judgemental drug of 'niceness' and those who sell other delusions . . .
    I have a variety of neighbours, some prune. Luckily no busy bodies . . . :cool:
    Bunks
    Dakini said:

Is drug-dealing and using that common now, that people have observed neighbors selling or using?? I wouldn't want that going on in my neighborhood. But that's just me, I guess. :scratch:

I am sure it is in one form or another mate!

• Bunks said:

What do you want for the owner of the house out of this? Are you concerned about DEA seizure of the property? If so, you probably want to talk to a lawyer, not us, unless you know for sure that the owner is at risk for the tenant's crimes, even if she had know way of knowing about them. Depending on how the law/policy generally works, you might be making things worse for her by telling her, because then she would have to find new tenants, or definitely be at risk for seizure of the house.
    RebeccaS
    edited December 2012
    fivebells said:

Bunks said:

What do you want for the owner of the house out of this? Are you concerned about DEA seizure of the property? If so, you probably want to talk to a lawyer, not us, unless you know for sure that the owner is at risk for the tenant's crimes, even if she had know way of knowing about them. Depending on how the law/policy generally works, you might be making things worse for her by telling her, because then she would have to find new tenants, or definitely be at risk for seizure of the house.
    Wow!! DEA, lawyers, house seizures! You've watched too much Cops mate.

I live in a sleepy little backward town in Australia! We settle stuff quietly here.

Don't really care about the outcome although I wouldn't be upset if they were to move out.

Having said all that, maybe you've got a point re her legal status. Food for thought. Thanks!
  • Bunks said:

RebeccaS said:

I have spoken to these young men and they are ok in my opinion. I have no problem with drugs (I would be a screaming hypocrite if I said I did) even though I rarely take them myself these days.

Ok... So they're not so bad... What about the people they're dealing with?

It's insane that you're comfortable living by drug dealers, especially with a child in your home. It's ridiculous. You don't know who they're selling to. I've seen petty weed dealers have problems with "clients". Guys who sell dime bags to friends of friends. What if they're selling something stronger? You don't know what you're dealing with here.
    RebeccaS said:

Bunks said:

RebeccaS said:

It's insane that you're comfortable living by drug dealers, especially with a child in your home. It's ridiculous. You don't know who they're selling to. I've seen petty weed dealers have problems with "clients". Guys who sell dime bags to friends of friends. What if they're selling something stronger? You don't know what you're dealing with here.
    I also live near a booze store but I am not going to ask them to close down due to all the misery alcohol causes.
    lobster
    edited December 2012
    Bunks said:

RebeccaS said:

Bunks said:

RebeccaS said:

I also live near a booze store but I am not going to ask them to close down due to all the misery alcohol causes.
    It's not about the misery drugs cause, it's about the potentially dangerous people who are spending time on your doorstep.

There is a difference between regulated and legally sold alcohol and drugs.

Like I said, it's ridiculous.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    What is best for all concerned? For them, they are better off being free of incarceration. As fivebells says your friend the landlord is better off not needing to find a new tenant. And then what about for your family and child... do you think there is a link between pedophilia etc and drugs? I don't but what do I know. I would think your daughter or son is safe. Plus if they are friends of Vito Corleone you might end up with a horse head between you and your wife some morning! (Just kidding on the last if you don't recognize this from 'the Godfather' movie.
  • This started as a question about right action. Did you agree to tell the property owner if you saw criminal activity on the property? If you told her you would, then, do it. If not, then you have to decide for yourself if you are ok with living next to drug dealers. If that feels right to you, then it is right. Right?
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Dont let your daughter play with the people buying dope
    next door, ok? lolololol

Stay clear. Offer help if you can.
    People cannot take your advantage...if you give it to them.
    Check back with us if you think things are getting worse.
    We can go from there.

Thats what we do in the ghetto/'hoods/projects, anyway.
    Bunks
  • Bunks said:

Wow!! DEA, lawyers, house seizures! You've watched too much Cops mate.

I live in a sleepy little backward town in Australia! We settle stuff quietly here.

Having said all that, maybe you've got a point re her legal status. Food for thought. Thanks!

This is what I was thinking, too. The landlady could be held liable for the illegal activity on her premises. Whether she knows about it or not. You'd have to check the law in your area.

edited December 2012
    Well, in terms of right action there are many people to consider. @Bunks's family and child, the landlord and all of the other people who live on the street.

How happy/safe are they with criminals living by them?

We live in communities and we have responsibilities towards our neighbours. We might be (ridiculously) comfortable with criminals living next door, but it doesn't mean they are.

A problem like this goes beyond just what we are comfortable with, we have other people to consider. If I found out my neighbor was Bunks who knew about this but didn't say anything I would be furious.

Dealing drugs isn't a small thing. It's not like they just have a lemonade stand or something.
    Thanks a lot for all the honest feedback guys. I love this site! We don't always agree but that's cool.

I have decided that I will ask a real estate agent if they know what the implications for the owner are and then go from there......

I will keep you informed.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know for a fact that it was drugs?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I think it would be worth at least keeping an eye on, and yes, involving the landlord/neighbor if needed. If it's pot, then probably nothing to worry about. But we've lived next door to drug dealers that started very calmly and every so often and within a year turned into quite an enterprise, and we had to very quickly terminate our lease, at a cost of over a thousand bucks, to leave the house we renated (we had kids at the time, too).

Basically, they went from selling a little to some friends, to selling meth to whoever. All hours of the day, cars were driving up constantly to buy drugs, and in time, violence came with it. We'd wake up at night to armed swat members in our yard, and one evening while we were watching a movie with our newborn sitting with us, someone tossed a molotov cocktail in a car parked in front of our house. It caused an explosion and the car caught fire. We were put on lockdown for several hours while they searched the neighborhood. My son's bus stop was out the front door, and in the winter he came home in the dark, which meant I'd have to stand on the sidewalk waiting for him in the dark. No thanks. It went from a great neighborhood to a dangerous one in less than a year, and in a town with 80,000 people so we aren't talking Chicago or anything. While drug users typically aren't any one to worry about, drug dealers definitely can be.

Now, if you aren't sure of what you saw, then I wouldn't do anything about it just yet. You don't want to cause alarm and problems with your neighbor/landlord and her tenant for nothing. But people who do deal drugs (beyond supplying a dime bag to a buddy I mean) establish pretty regular habits and clientele, so it's worth keeping an eye on to see if it escalates.

Oh, and if they deal in meth or other harder drugs, they can put the whole area at risk for fire, chemical exposure, and explosions as well.
    RebeccaSJeffrey
    edited December 2012
    Also, people often start out selling little bits to buddies and then grow their "client" base with time. Like I said at first, it might not be a problem now, but it has the big potential to become a problem in the future.

Deling drugs is easy money. When people figure out they can get more (a lot more) for harder drugs, they often decide to. It's just loser economics.
    Jeffrey
    Let us report the local Church for polluting the minds of children . . . or we could start a meditation group and invite these hardcore, house exploding, dangerous, gun toting, horse decapitating demons of our fervent imagination . . .

Some people should smoke a little weed and chill out a bit . . . ;)
    Jeffrey
    Horse decapitating only happens in the mafia! And it was a car they blew up, not a house ;)
    lobster
    vinlyn said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know for a fact that it was drugs?

I don't however being someone who smoked a lot of weed in my young days and popping round to people's houses to buy it, it was very suspicious. I was a little surprised they did it in broad daylight though in the front yard. My next door neighbour has said that they are selling drugs but he is prone to exaggeration so I didn't think anything of it until yesterday.
    lobster said:

Let us report the local Church for polluting the minds of children . . . or we could start a meditation group and invite these hardcore, house exploding, dangerous, gun toting, horse decapitating demons of our fervent imagination . . .

My wife and I made a conscious decision a few years ago to stop watching the news on television. I actually rarely read newspapers either.

Funnily enough the sky hasn't fallen in and my anxiety level has dropped!

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Whatever you do, be careful. A friend of mine is currently having issues with drug dealers across the street. Basically, his dad reported them to the police, but whatever went down... they didn't find anything and now they're getting a lot of weird things happening around their house. The least of which was a smiley face drawn on their car window, the most of which was a cut line to their security system. Unfortunately, anonymity can prove incredibly important in retrospect.
  • As an ex drug user of many substances and at times a dealer of things such as weed, ecstasy and cocaine, I would suggest you leave it be. You have to understand something about these people and their world if you will. If you start to get involved in it, you can get yourself into some tight spots and danger. Even if you did say something and they got moved on, they would probably still sell drugs somewhere else. They are quite arrogant and or stupid to be making it so obvious as well though, I was wiser than they seem to be when I was 17!
  • A landlord with no knowledge of activity like this cannot be held responsible for their renters breaking the terms of the lease. There is a big difference between seeing something that damages the property going on and something like this. For one thing, unless you were close enough to identify the substance, you don't know exactly what was going on. Unless there's major activity with people showing up all night long, etc, it's your word against their word. The landlord usually can't kick someone out because "someone told me they saw something".

You said that you have spoken to the people and they seem OK. Now personally, I would tell them it looked like they actually had a drug deal go down outside, where everyone can see it, and you know it couldn't be that but to be careful in the future because this is a neighborhood with kids running around and that sort of thing is noticed real fast. But that's just me.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    It is an interesting question which really asks what a society is. For most of us it's probably something between mad max anarchy and a stiltifying effort towards conformity.
    I'd let your meditation guide you with this.
    Other folks drug habits is their business. Reporting observed associated criminal activities that often fund it, ( prostitution, moving stolen property, etc) should be all of our business.
    tmottes
  • Bunks said:

The elementary school I attended was across the street from a liquor store, back then in the 80's it didn't seem too bad. We all knew there was shady dealings going on there. As far as I knew, no kids got hurt. People in the neighborhood mostly treated it as a local convenience store when we just need some milk and didn't want to drive or take the bus the the grocery store.

I remember some teachers advised us not to go there, but I'd still always see kids go there directly after school. My sister and I would go there when our parents weren't around, and there wasn't anything we liked in the fridge.

The store eventually closed down in the late 90's, possibly due to people all over California becoming more and more "PC". Having a liquor store so close to an elementary school was definitely NOT PC. The neighborhood has been more quiet since.

Your dilemma is tough. I guess you'd want to keep the peace and not cause trouble, but who knows what other trouble could come from the dealer's clients. If there was a way to report the dealers anonymously without getting yourself nor the landlord in trouble, I might go that route.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    You know Bunks as a former smoker maybe it was just some guys handing on a bag of pot to some friends as a lot of us have done when we were young and stupid. As opposed to Americans and other exotic creatures not every drug deal is a call for SWAT teams, we tend to handle things a little different in the Euro and related zones of this planet. If it looks like things are getting out of hand and some heavy deals are going down do you have an anonymous crime line you can call like we have crime stoppers that we have in the UK.

Note to forum: I do not advocate the use of illegal narcotics - As someone who has suffered serious damage from the use of illegal drugs my thoughts are just say no folks. However criminalising people who are just being young and stupid isn't the answer either.
    lobster
    Just as an aside, I took my daughter for a walk to the library yesterday and these three dogs began to follow us. I suspected they were from the house of the guys who I'd seen sell dope over the road. I was a little surprised as I'd never seen these dogs before and I thought maybe they'd escaped from the house.

Anyway, as I neared the library they all ran off and started following other people.

Last night I heard them calling out and whistling so I went over and told them I'd seen the dogs and they'd followed me earlier in the day. I could tell they really appreciated me telling them.

Apparently two of the dogs came home but one was still missing. The side gate of their place had swung open in the wind and they'd escaped.

I'm going to keep an eye out for this missing dog or for any Found posters about. They seemed really friendly animals so perhaps someone has taken her home. We live in a small town.
    lobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    lobster said:

...you got that right, bud.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    lobster said:

Let us report the local Church for polluting the minds of children . . .

NOT illegal....
    or we could start a meditation group
    NOT illegal....
    and invite these hardcore, house exploding, dangerous, gun toting, horse decapitating demons of our fervent imagination . . .
    Not against the Mental health Act....
    Against the law, thereby illegal.

Can you spot the difference?
    Sheesh.

:rolleyes:
  • Right action must be proceeded with right view.

Right view or seeing things as they really are is not so easy. We all have been conditioned by what has preceded. Some of this conditioning is cultural. Some is based on our childhoods. Some of it is just our own habitual responses that becomes our karmic chain. If we don't pay attention, with a lot of compassion and detachment, to what arises we just end up clinging to views and options that distort the facts of the matter and lead away from right action.

As to what is the right action in this specific example, I couldn't say. But doing nothing, especially when presented with limited facts, may also be right action.

Best Wishes
    lobster
    federica said:

lobster said:

Let us report the local Church for polluting the minds of children . . .

NOT illegal....
    or we could start a meditation group
    NOT illegal....
    and invite these hardcore, house exploding, dangerous, gun toting, horse decapitating demons of our fervent imagination . . .
    Not against the Mental health Act....

Sheesh.

If alcohol and tobacco are legal then all other drugs should be legal. Just my opinion.
    They seemed really friendly animals so perhaps someone has taken her home . . .
    You seem able to relate on a legal level with your neighbours. Their dogs seem friendly, a good sign. You seem to be finding the skilful course of interaction . . .
    Good luck to everyone . . . :)
    lobster said:

They seemed really friendly animals so perhaps someone has taken her home . . .
    You seem able to relate on a legal level with your neighbours. Their dogs seem friendly, a good sign. You seem to be finding the skilful course of interaction . . .
    Good luck to everyone . . . :)

Thanks lobster. As I said in my initial post about these guys. I reckon they're ok. While they have been a bit annoying to live near, they have treated me and my wife with respect when we have dealt with them.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    federica said:

Sheesh.

Depends on where you are. The state of Colorado in the US just legalized marijuana for recreational use. My state has legalized medical marijuana and Detroit just "decriminalized" it for recreational use (meaning, it's no longer a misdemeanor and you just get a fine), but Colorado is the first to actually make it available without a medical issue.

@Bunks is marijuana legal for medical use where you live? If they're being so obvious about it, it makes me wonder if maybe they are a legal distributor (that's how it works here, anyways)... but then again, you didn't mention this possibility, so probably not?
    Didn't WA and CO vote on it at the same time? or hasn't WA's been finalized yet?
    @karasti I don't know, I've only heard about CO so maybe it's not finalized then? I honestly hadn't heard about WA.
    No, it is not in effect yet in Colorado.
    Oops...the governor of Colorado signed it today.
    zombiegirl
    Fyi, the young guy I saw selling over the road moved out with his girlfriend last weekend.

I recently saw the lady who owns the place but didn't say anything to her as it seems pointless.
    How little you did. How effective it was. The world turns around us . . .
    BunksJeffrey
  • This is an interesting thread, lots of fear and judgement from a tiny suspicion...