Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A funny, but fairly ignorant, comment from my sister.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited December 2012 in General Banter
I was on my computer last night and was on YouTube as well as my Facebook. While checking my messages and status updates, I looked up renditions of "Hare Krishna". No, I'm not ISKON, but I think it's a beautiful mantra; especially the rendition I found. Anyway, while listening to it, I eventually found my self chanting along with it. I had unkowningly starting singing and didn't stop until the chant was over. I felt quite relaxed and exhilarated afterwords.

Today, after school and visiting a friend, I arrived home and when I walked past my mom she asked "What were you singing last night?". A little embarrassed, mainly because I was apparently loud and not because of the song itself, I told her what it was.

She then told me "It kind of freaked out your sister". After some more conversing, I finally found out why it "freaked her out" so much.

She thought I had converted to Islam.

I didn't say it to my Mom, but two thing ran through my mind:

A.) I didn't convert (obviously), but so what if I did? If I did, it would be my own journey and cross to bear. No one else's.

B.) I laughed a little on the inside, because I thought it was funny that she thought such a thing. However, that amusement soon turned to annoyance.

My family is relatively conservative Christian, so it shouldn't really surprise me that she would think such a thing. However, would it kill her (and the rest of them for that matter) to not be afraid of things that are not familiar? I was chanting in another language? I must have converted to Islam! Anything different from what we believe is just not good; especially what THEY believe.

I'm not angry at her, just slightly annoyed. I guess this would be an example of attachment? In regards to her beliefs? I just wanted to share this with the rest of you and get some of your feedback. Have any of you had an experience like this recently?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    That's pretty typical really.....

I went to a buddhist meditation retreat a few months back. When I mentioned it to my mum (athiest) she said with a look of concern "It's not religious is it????"

Like you said @DaftChris, so what if it was?

Bless her......(pardon the pun).
  • She thought I had converted to Islam.
    Now she can convert to 'Islam' and chant with you . . .

Hurry Christen her, Hurry Christen her
    Christian, Christian, Hurry, Hurry
    Hurry Yahweh, Hurry Yahweh
    Yahweh, Yahweh, Hurry, Hurry
    musicNirvanaBeej
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    One thing you have to learn as you search for a spiritual method is not to be weird :)
    Remain as relatively yourself as possible and root out your faults, Doing loud chanting at home is the best way to make others uncomfortable.
    lobsterskullchin
  • I wouldn't say it's ignorant, if that's all that's said.

The story made me laugh though
  • DaftChris said:

I'm not angry at her, just slightly annoyed.

I guess this would be an example of attachment? In regards to her beliefs? I just wanted to share this with the rest of you and get some of your feedback. Have any of you had an experience like this recently?

We should be able to be who we are with our family first - this is a stepping stone to being ourselves in the wider world - it is good that she raised this misconception through your family unit - it is a good opportunity for you to build together and to explore the edges of your view.

I experience this sort of thing all day every day! A recent funny one was a friend of mine described himself as a 'brown' person and an old white lady said 'you can't say brown person, you have to say black person!'... what can you say to that? It was clear that she was doing her absolute best! :)

How does she feel now that it's krishna? I'm interested as islam and christianity have more in common than krishnaism and christianity.

You may be experiencing a side effect of war - the population should fear the enemy... fear drives brutality.
  • Hee. Funny. If it was my sister, I wouldn't be able to resist waiting until the right moment, leaning in and whispering in her ear, "Infidel!" just to see her reaction.

But then my sister is aware of my warped sense of humor.
    RebeccaSDaftChrisSama
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @caz

I suppose. I didn't know I was chanting that loud. Just being caught up in the music was a breathtaking experience. :)

@zero

I would love to talk to them about Hinduism, Buddhism, etc., but that's just not possible. It would be a situation where, no matter how much I explained it, they would "go to hell, because thy reject Christ". I think they also equate Hinduism, and to an extent Buddhism, to devil worship.

It would be in everyones best interest if I gave everyone the answers they want to hear and leave in at that.
  • @daftchris - I suppose her response was driven by concern for your well being.

Her expression of love may not correlate wholeheartedly with yours but I guess the underlying motivation is sincere.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :thumbsup:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Weird" is kind of weird. Is there anything so thoughtful and kind and circumspect that it cannot be accused of being thoughtless, unkind and blind? Is there ever an event that is not open to misinterpretation?

If everyone is weird, what becomes of "weird?" Wouldn't it be weirder still -- and miles less interesting -- if no one were weird?

I used to keep Buddhism tucked firmly between closed lips. I didn't want to weird anyone out. With practice, things got easier ... Buddhism is just another version of what I might call very good brownies: I know people who purely hate chocolate ... poor souls. :)
    Jeffrey
  • In the 80's, she'd think you "converted" to Satanism.. :p
    DaftChris
  • Zero said:

I experience this sort of thing all day every day! A recent funny one was a friend of mine described himself as a 'brown' person and an old white lady said 'you can't say brown person,

OT but still curious ... Is this common in the US, assuming you're from over there?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Is what common in the US? Saying someone is a "brown person". I wouldn't common, but I hear it more and more often. It seems to be an attempt to lump together more minority groups.
  • vinlyn said:

Is what common in the US? Saying someone is a "brown person". I wouldn't common, but I hear it more and more often. It seems to be an attempt to lump together more minority groups.

No, he said the old lady corrected him as if anyone who isn't white is automatically black.
    Ah, I see.

I find it's rather common for White people to correct other White people who make comments about non-White people, in terms of terminology. Often not really knowing how the non-White people often feel about it.
  • vinlyn said:

Ah, I see.

I find it's rather common for White people to correct other White people who make comments about non-White people, in terms of terminology. Often not really knowing how the non-White people often feel about it.

But how is it in the US, generally? How would a middle easterner be described? Or a Japanese? Because these groups don't fall into a convenient black and white category.
    I would guess the most common way to describe a Middle Easterner would be Arab. Not saying it's right, just the most common. Japanese is easier -- Asian.

I remember getting into an intense but somewhat light-hearted discussion with my adopted son about his race. He was from Pakistan, and I insisted he was Middle Eastern (which, of course, was wrong)...but I was basing my comment on his culture which is Muslim. He insisted he was Asian ("just like your Thai friends"), which didn't seem quite right (though technically correct), either.
  • I imagine your family's desire for you not to convert is a lot like your desire for them to accept your path whatever it is...

If you can look at your own desire perhaps you can let it disolve

There's probably not much you can do about your families desires, or any of the other millions of things in the world which may dissatisfy you.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    because thy reject Christ
    I just now realized that I put "thy" instead of "they" :/ Oy gevalt.
    federica
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    DaftChris said:

I'm not angry at her, just slightly annoyed. I guess this would be an example of attachment? In regards to her beliefs? I just wanted to share this with the rest of you and get some of your feedback. Have any of you had an experience like this recently?

The thing is, you've known all your life your family was conservative Christian. So it's unreasonable for you to expect them to suddenly, out of nowhere, change. You're only annoying yourself in expecting them to suddenly be mellow in this regard.

btw, I can relate to your exhilaration over the Hare Krishna chant, or some forms of it. George Harrison has a beautiful Hindu chant on one of his albums. I think any kind of spiritual music has the potential to trigger a high. I wonder if you might be better off setting yourself up in the basement, in case of future spontaneous religious outbursts. ;)

DaftChrislobsterskullchin
  • Hari krishna with a sock in ones mouth?
    Could work.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    DaftChris said:

because thy reject Christ
    I just now realized that I put "thy" instead of "they" :/ Oy gevalt.

(That'll teach me to be a grammar-snob!!)

:lol:
  • vinlyn said:

I would guess the most common way to describe a Middle Easterner would be Arab. Not saying it's right, just the most common. Japanese is easier -- Asian.

I remember getting into an intense but somewhat light-hearted discussion with my adopted son about his race. He was from Pakistan, and I insisted he was Middle Eastern (which, of course, was wrong)...but I was basing my comment on his culture which is Muslim. He insisted he was Asian ("just like your Thai friends"), which didn't seem quite right (though technically correct), either.

So much confusion, eh? That's why I love Paine's wisdom: The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
    music said:

So much confusion, eh? That's why I love Paine's wisdom: The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

Paine as in ?

• Thomas Paine.
    Doesn't mean much from a man who -- as far as I know -- never experienced a culture beyond England, France, and American colonies.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    That^^ doesn't make his words any less inspiring. The Dalai Lama has only lived in Tibet and India but I don't see anyone knocking his inspirational words. It sounds to me like Paine had some Divine inspiration going on. I find this intriguing, not to mention that his words sound highly Buddhistic. @DaftChris Did you already have a thread on Paine? If not, feel free to start one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Paine
  • vinlyn said:

Doesn't mean much from a man who -- as far as I know -- never experienced a culture beyond England, France, and American colonies.

Did the Buddha or Christ experience anything beyond their respective local cultures? Goodness comes from within, vinlyn. Experiences may help but aren't indispensable.
    I'm not talking about goodness. I'm talking about saying, "All mankind is my brethren" when one has never been out of his own culture. And I do give Paine credit...he was not a slave holder and appears to have been an abolitionist (although some writings on the subject that were once attributed to him are no longer attributed to him).

In terms of Buddha's cultures, it was my impression that he traveled through various kingdoms in that part of the world.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Ah, I see.

Black people kept laughing at me when I said "African American", but I was just trying to be polite... :shake: I gave that up a long time ago.
    edited December 2012
    Not all black Americans come as descendants from Africa. I can see why they'd laugh.... Even those who label themselves African American have probably never even thought of going there..... TBH, I find it a redundant and pointless differentiation.....
    I know a black American guy whose roots are in Trinidad. He's been there several times....he gets quite offended when he's referred to as 'African American', in the USA.
    He usually comes back with something like "There are other countries black people inhabit, you know! You do know there are other countries, right??"

(He lived in the UK for around 6 years for work purposes, so I guess a little of our caustic humour rubbed off on him..... :o )
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I actually do have one friend that prefers 'African American' but she appears to be the only one I know. African American was more popular through the 90's/early 2000's, but over recent years has found to be overly politically correct and unnecessary since 'black' isn't offensive.

I get it though. When people say "homosexual" it just has a weird edge to it for some reason. Whenever I hear someone say homosexual instead of just gay... warning bells go off and I expect some sort of anti-gay rhetoric to follow.

vinlyn said:

Ah, I see.

Black people kept laughing at me when I said "African American", but I was just trying to be polite... :shake: I gave that up a long time ago.
    And then there was the time I was reprimanded by a White parent for calling our Black students Black at a program, saying I should use the term "African-American". One of our Black parents spoke up and said, "Ma'am, several Black families here are diplomatic, and we are citizens of African nations. We are not African-Americans. We are Black!" (accurately paraphrased).

• Black people kept laughing at me when I said "African American", but I was just trying to be polite... :shake: I gave that up a long time ago.

Wow, really getting off-topic here, but I guess it's ok with the mod. ZG, this is interesting. None of the Af. American ppl I know mind that label; everyone knows it's a polite/respectful term. But now I wonder if it's a generational thing; it could be that younger members of that community can't relate to it. Good to know.

Oh, I think it is generational. "Negro" was once a respectful term. So was "Colored". For a while it was "Afro-American". For a while "African-American". For a while it was "Black".
  • It was Afro-American when I fell off 'the grid' about 12 years ago.
  • Jeffrey said:

It was Afro-American when I fell off 'the grid' about 12 years ago.

Jeffrey, "Afro-American" was a lot longer ago than that. It was Jesse Jackson who first used the term "African American", at least--publicly, back around the late 1980's or 1990. That's what kicked it off. It had a big impact, at least internationally. Human rights organizations and the UN immediately started using the term. Apparently the Black community has evolved since then. I'm out of the loop now.

• I remember my Grandma sitting me down when I was about 5 or 6 and explaining to me solemnly that it was no longer proper to say "Negro," and should instead say "black."
  • Yes it was Afro-american in my highschool in early 90s. I haven't been around many black-folk for quite some time. I have been in contact with some, but it never came up what term to call them.