Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Uncontrolled and Unclear mind.

cazcaz VeteranUnited Kingdom Veteran
edited December 2012 in Meditation
Its not very often I write a post but I though this would be worth sharing

Yesterday was one of those days I was feeling rather (mentally) disturbed and unwell, Everything seemed like shit the future was coming around to quickly and here was me entertaining some rather nasty minds about how little I thought of everyone,everything and myself. Yesterday was a day of suffering.

But fortunately having some experience with the mind and its many manifestations it was not an all consuming void as some people would find, having an uncontrolled mind can be very testing and extremely painful with no method to subdue the mind when it runs wild it can often lead to manifestations of Anger, Depression, Hateful and suicidal thoughts.
These minds are extremely painful its like having a Hell inside yourself, It warps your perceptions and your experiences and causes you to perform actions that are not conducive to any sort of Happiness.

The mind is filled with many Delusions these all arise from the mind of Self cherishing and In turn Self cherishing arises from Self Grasping Ignorance. These are the root causes of our daily problems the general mentioned minds appear from these though it often seems they come from out of no where, so one day you can feel happy and contented and the next on the verge of ending it all.

Its no wonder why in this age mental health problems are on the rise, our general daily experience tells us that our Happiness is going to come from whatever is out there on the market like a child with a new toy the latest gadget gives many a rush or a experience of temporary Joy and we repeated this pattern over and over again constantly seeking the next best thing to satisfy our un-contented mind, Its obviously not just the latest Iphone that people do this with but every thing that is an object of desire, Including our Partners, Friends Alcohol, Drugs etc anything that appears attractive and as a source of happiness we want to experience it and consequently develop attachment and have an unrealistic expectation of the happiness it shall provide us. External enjoyments are often as quick to provide us with more pain then pleasure.

All the time we are searching Samsara for our next fix our minds and subsequent actions provoke and increase our attachments and delusions, I am very familiar with the mental pain these delusions cause and am sure many of you are to so there is no need to remind you of when our wishes are not fulfilled and what minds we generate as a result of our inability to experience our desired enjoyments. How can anyone experience any sort of happiness when our mind is filled with these defilements ?

The Answer is we can't We are only able to experience Happiness when we have a calm and controlled mind that is temporarily pacified of Delusion and Attachment, Delusions constantly disturb our mind and make it un peaceful and wrongly lead us to engage in many actions that will repeat this cycle of suffering and we will never experience Mental peace as a result. The only way to experience Mental peace and Happiness is to calm the mind and in turn control the minds that arise, The only way this is possible is through engaging in Meditation.

Yesterday reminded me that I need to abandon the laziness that accompanies many of these deluded minds and not wallow in self pity but rather do something that will cut the source of my problems and the answer was fairly simply engage in meditation. The mind can only concentrate on one object at a time and as a general result in our life the mind is constantly racing between its desired objects and attachments consequently we perform actions that will result in suffering, To use one analogy " If you plant a poisonous seed there will grow a poisonous plant and so shall its fruit be poisonous" Therefore if we wish to lessen our experience of suffering we need to make sure we are not planting poisonous seeds, To start we need to make this mind concentrate on one object, when masses of delusions are arising it is best to make the object fairly simple such as the breath.

Breathing Meditation is one of the most simple and effective meditations for experiencing Peace, by concentrating solely on this object there is no chance for delusion to manifest. This is obviously easier said then done but with persistent effort and continual placement, concentration on your object will increase and so to will the reduction in disturbing minds.

Yesterday I removed my problems by practising Breathing meditation, By practising in this way every day the mind will become calmer,more controlled and in turn receptive to engaging in actions and other meditations that are associated with Virtue. Breaking the cycle of suffering is not that difficult when Deluded minds do not have the room to manifest. Gaining some experience with pacifying and controlling the mind will make it easier for us to deal with the root delusions of Self cherishing and Self grasping but there is no way to accomplish their destruction without having first accomplished a concentration that is undisturbed.

With refined Concentration and the correct Meditation methods removing the Root minds through which mental and physical pain become manifest Liberation from Suffering will never be that difficult.

Hope this Helps. :)
BhikkhuJayasaralobsterCole_JeffreyVastmindmaartendwitiya

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    well said friend... we know that no matter what comes up, it is just phenomenon to be observed as it arises, peaks, and goes away, and therefore we are not bothered or attached to it. :)
    caz
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jayantha said:

well said friend... we know that no matter what comes up, it is just phenomenon to be observed as it arises, peaks, and goes away, and therefore we are not bothered or attached to it. :)

Indeed its much easier when you learn not to associate with Deluded minds !

:)
  • Yesterday was one of those days
    A lot of people seem determined to have them every day . . . Maybe they are attached to suffering? Where can you get a Mahayana Bodhisattva when you need one . . .

Well done on acknowledging the situation, knowing the cause and applying the medicine.

Inspiring. :clap:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    caz said:

Breathing Meditation is one of the most simple and effective meditations for experiencing Peace, by concentrating solely on this object there is no chance for delusion to manifest.

Perhaps it's also about a calmness of mind where we see delusion more clearly when it arises?
    caz
  • Great post! It is interesting that you mentioned that having these minds is really painful, and I agree. Even if we remedy the pain, we remain - for the moment - deluded, but that is okay. Like you described, when I have this kind of pain I also try to understand the situation and see if I can improve it. In your case, meditation helped, great! Sometimes, it helps to talk to a friend or do sports. I usually try to deal with the pain by trying to figure what needs to be softened. Probably some process has been going on inside me, without me being aware, and I have hardened some part till the point where it became really painful. The interesting aspect of this approach is that it is intuitive: instead of doing a mental inquiry, you try to feel where it hurts, and then let go. I am saying this also because you mentioned being more strict with yourself. I think this makes sense, but we have to be strict in a gentle way.
    cazdwitiya