Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any traditional clothing in Buddhism?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited December 2012 in General Banter
Are there any traditional Buddhist clothes that laymen and women can wear?

Much like how Hindu women can wear saris and men can wear Dhotis and kurtas?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Its more of a cultural thing then a "Buddhist" thing. So it depends on your tradition and then the local culture of where it "grew up".

The only clothing the Buddha talked about specifically was the robe of a Bhikkhu :)
  • Buddhism has no specific cultural heritage. This is the reason why it flourished in so many countries. I wouldn't say that there are any specifically Buddhist clothes, but there are clothes that Buddhists sometimes wear. They change from culture to culture, but lay people sometimes have a set of robes to wear during meditation and retreat. As far as anything that identifies one as a Buddhist in everyday life, like kufis and hijabs identify Muslims, I do not believe we have such a thing.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    DaftChris said:

Are there any traditional Buddhist clothes that laymen and women can wear?

Not really. The only mention in the Suttas is the wearing of white, so many lay followers will either wear all white (especially if observing the eight precepts) or a white shirt and black pants, but nothing special.
  • I am wearing a silk shirt and chinos...this is because I am a cool dude.
    The socks with holes in...not so much.
    Just in case anyone is wondering..its an "ahimsa" silk shirt..i.e, the caterpillar was allowed to reach adulthood. Not killed in the production of the silk.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Buddhism is the path out of suffering. It doesn't come with fashion recommendations.
    That's a little like asking, "Is there appropriate garb in psychotherapy"?
  • Adam's suit or Eve's dress. I really mean that, even though figuratively ;)
    lobster
  • In Japanese schools (and I'd need help from other's, because Japanese is all I know) lay people will wear wagesas durring service to represent the Buddha's robes. Sometimes people will wear traditional Japanese work clothes when we're on retreat, but not out on the street.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    "Traditional clothes" for lay people will be the clothing of their culture.
    The only "Buddhist clothing" per se are the robes worn by those who have taken the vows as a monk or nun.
    It is not appropriate to show too much skin when taking lessons, and for woman that includes not showing cleavage.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I am not a big fan of uniforms for the laity.
    They live and interact as part of the world and are helped by seeing their worldly accoutrement's as the very substance of their practise.
    In monastic & temple situations it has often created an un necessary hierarchy between the lay in uniforms and the lay in street clothes and brought about more bad behaviour than I thought it was worth.
    That being said, many traditions have there own preferences in lay outfits and strongly encourage their adoption.
    If you choose your own worldly lay meditation outfit, remember to include walking meditation in the consideration. Some pants can create a constant swishing noise in walking meditation which is like an auditory version of wearing perfume in a meditation hall.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Wouldn't prayer shawls/scarves be considered typical or common "Buddhist" wear - even for laypeople- in and around temples and sanghas? I've never been to either type of these places, but I assume from pictures and videos that prayer scarves are fairly common, no? Ummm...I mean worn around the neck over other clothing- not alone! ;-)
  • MaryAnne said:

Wouldn't prayer shawls/scarves be considered typical or common "Buddhist" wear - even for laypeople- in and around temples and sanghas? I've never been to either type of these places, but I assume from pictures and videos that prayer scarves are fairly common, no? Ummm...I mean worn around the neck over other clothing- not alone! ;-)

Good point. One sangha I attended required that women cover up with big shawls, "out of respect for Lama". It's not a bad idea.

• ...And I've always loved (seeing) the tradition of presenting the prayer scarf to the Lama, and having him immediately return it to the person (around the neck) with a blessing.
    how said:

In monastic & temple situations it has often created an un necessary hierarchy between the lay in uniforms and the lay in street clothes and brought about more bad behaviour than I thought it was worth.

In my experience with the Theravada monasteries I have seen this to a limited extent.. usually all the Sri Lankan people are in white, when it comes to the westerners it seems that there are those " in the know" and those who are probably new. I will admit to my ego boosting its own importance while wearing the white compared to those not lol.... silly ego.
  • Wearing special Buddhist clothes can be a form of attachment. It can work both ways: it can be non-attachment to fashion, or an attachment to a sort of insider status. Ego is a trickster, ready to trip us up no matter what we do, lol.
    Dakini said:

Wearing special Buddhist clothes can be a form of attachment. It can work both ways: it can be non-attachment to fashion, or an attachment to a sort of insider status. Ego is a trickster, ready to trip us up no matter what we do, lol.

I still have to get use to the wearing white thing... I love wearing all black with a little purple in the mix.. growing up all my heroes wore black.. from mad martigan to luke skywalker etc... now my heroes wear red/organge/brown :P
  • Wear simple black and slip off shoes. Works in more situations - unless you have a specific dress code you wish to join?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Dakini said:

Wearing special Buddhist clothes can be a form of attachment. It can work both ways: it can be non-attachment to fashion, or an attachment to a sort of insider status. Ego is a trickster, ready to trip us up no matter what we do, lol.

Interesting. While I have no "special" Buddhist clothing, I am particularly attached to the Thai fisherman pants I wear for meditation. Extremely comfortable for hour-long sittings.

Hmm... perhaps I do have some "special" Buddhist clothing. ;)