Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting from the right place

Are human endeavours largely motivated by greed and self interest, whatever the professed purpose? Greed for enlightenment or the absence of suffering is still one of the three kleshas, surely?
Is our first task to become aware of motivation in oneself, other people and the structures that reinforce and sanctify such behaviour? Do we also need to become aware (through observation) of behaviour and frameworks that are independent of self interest, greed or self perpetuation? Is the genuine perspective impartial and balanced between human needs and the higher imperative? Does the undeveloped, primitive, personality need to be refined? Does the immature persona need to be aware of its limitations? Can it rarely profit from insight because of the way such knowledge will be distorted? Is it possible for others who are more suitably attuned to profit? Is it true discrimination between diversion and genuine aspiration, that precedes the emergence of the capacity to understand?

Do we have to develop a Buddhist orientated ego before continuing?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Do we have to develop a Buddhist orientated ego before continuing?

Letting go of Ego is just not feeding it.
    You don't need to befriend it, dress it up or down, or debate with it
    ...just stop feeding it, in whatever moment there is.
  • It really depends on the individual and their context for their journey.

There is no black and white answer.

Desire and greed are approached in various ways in the different yanas. They are negated, transformed, countered, self-liberated.

It all depends on the individuals capacity and their relationship with said desire/greed.

Now you bring a valid point. Desiring freedom is in itself a condition for which suffering comes about. And to desire nothing is a desire clothed in a negation lol. So the problem of desire isn't an easy one and it isn't some we can just get rid of. Hell everything we do is a form of desire in some sense.

So there are many ways to approach this depending on context. One can become aware of their desires that bring harm and negate them by vowing not to do them. One can counter desires by doing the opposite of the desire. For instance if I have greed then I can cultivate generosity. Or if one can see the emptiness of desire then one can transform the desire into pure empty energy. Or if one is of highest capacity one can just allow desire to be and it liberates itself.

For your other question.

We need an extremely healthy ego to jump off a cliff. If there isn't a base of positivity, confidence and a general feeling of being an embodied suffering sentient being. Then I don't see how one can dive into the heart of what Buddhadharma is pointing to. I don't see why someone would even want to hahaha.

Let each person figure out their motivations. At first selfishness is a must. The aperture gradually opens as they grow up.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    There has to be alot of conditions for 'growing up'. haha
    It seems that way to me, sometimes.
    Almost like they do in the Army....
    break you down....to build you up.
    Feeling built up......is still ego.

That's why I think the technique
    doesn't work for everyone. The ego
    gets fed so much, and the counter teachings
    need to be presented to those feedings.
    Bam. The Middle way.

I'm always working on my view, though. ;)