Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Food of Kindness"

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
This is a wonderful read. Here is an excerpt for interested parties

"These qualities develop through a vigilance of heart that is difficult to practise in a large, well-funded institution. In those days when my monastic requisites, especially meals, were complete, assured and generally abundant, I used self-abstinence to remind myself of the value of all that was given to us. On occasion, we also went on tudong or walked for alms in the nearby villages, accepting whatever we received as our meal for the day. But these were temporary privations — not a sustained way of life. They bore the flavor of heroic adventure but could hardly reflect the daily grind of spiritual endeavour."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/medhanandi/foodofkindness.html
DeepankarThailandTomlobsterWisdom23SileVastmindBunksInvincible_summer

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    walking Pindapat and doing a Tudong are things that really attract me to the life of a monastic although it is unfortunate that these things are so rare today due to mondern times even in buddhist countries. The amazing thing that the Buddha laid down for monastics to be totally dependent on lay people for food and to accept what is given or not given.

If you like that article I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest this book

http://www.amazon.com/Blistered-Feet-Blissful-Mind-Price/dp/190608517X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357612287&sr=8-1&keywords=blistered+feet+blissful+mind

Blistered feet blissful mind is a story based on true experiences of a variety of monks who go on Tudong and how it is a test of the belief of the general kindness of all humans.
    sova
  • With beggar sangha, walking the walk, we can be certain of our and their kindness. In a sense we are all begging bowls, filled by the sanctity of the three jewels. Inside we have to be empty and bestowing. What an honour to practice generosity, what a life to have bestowed . . .
    sovaVastmindInvincible_summer
  • edited January 2013
    Buddha went Tudong due to India society then was not "fully funded" and the people then was not that blessed to be fully funding. And buddha observed one simple non choosy meal a day in noon. As too early, the body may not sustain overnight, too later afternoon is not the usual meal time of people then. In current era that circumstances permitting, well funded institution allows monks to concentrate on dharma foods, and their consumption is not that much based on statistic on population between monks and people. How the monks handle their desire may also depends on how the lay prepared it. And the ascetic hindu practitioners being nible caste then was one meal a day.
  • @sova thank you so much for sharing that link with me this morning. I've had a rough week so far and really needed the pep talk.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Thank you for this, @sova!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Gratitude for what I received from reading this.
    May I be able to give it away one day. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    @The_Antagonistic_View: Bosh!

Nice Article.