Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I cancel a post if I change my mind before posting.?

mettanandomettanando Veteran
edited January 2013 in NewBuddhist.com
How do I cancel a post if I change my mind before posting ?

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Dont press the post button? It may have saved already, in which case you can delete from 'My Drafts'
  • Thank you.
  • You can also edit it within a time frame and just write 'oops'
  • Lets see if I have that right...'oops.' :)
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You can also 'flag' a post to moderators and ask for deletion...
    Where appropriate, we will be happy to oblige.....

Strictly speaking though, the 'flag' button is to alert us to material you feel is uncalled for, disrespectful, out of 'tune' or just plain intrusively rude.

Try to avoid using the flag button for other causes, if you can.
  • How do I cancel a post if I change my mind before posting ?

Meditate before posting. You are less likely to post . . . Or make a mishtake [sic]

;)
    Invincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    federica said:

Try to avoid using the flag button for other causes, if you can.

Ah!
    :-/
    I've been (ab)using that like the batphone... sorry.
    zombiegirlCraig86MaryAnne
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    WISH I HAD!!!!!

Newbuddhist is often a humbling experience and I'm grateful that the moderators seem to keep things under their thumbs so well.

I do try to look over my submitted posts to edit out elements that may come across as unfriendly. I sometimes fail and am ashamed when I do so, for I do not think we should be here to engage each other in a confrontational way. But it is really humiliating when you find that in posting a quote from someone else you have inadvertently trivialized or even falsified the statement by the other guy. That is so easy to do. I did it tonight concerning another member's post about some matter that we both apparently care about.

I had stated in a previous post that I believed it was unspiritual to spend time delving into the depths of the misdeeds of others, with the proviso:

But if justice is not involved, bringing [a lot of sordid details about others up] to the surface of the consciousness is just a hue and a cry from voyeurism.
    He replied: A spiritual life that fails to look at what is unpleasant strikes me as a useless pipe dream. Does it partake of voyeurism? Yes, probably. But writing it off as pure voyeurism strikes me as escapist ... a kind of comic-book spirituality that lacks foundation even as it lays a smarmy claim to that foundation.
    But then, in a later post (which was by that time several slots down) I just quoted the fellow, really out of its full context:
    A spiritual life that fails to look at what is unpleasant strikes me as a useless pipe dream. Does it partake of voyeurism? Yes, probably. But writing it off as pure voyeurism strikes me as escapist...
    The word IT refers to "delving deep into the sordid affairs of others" and I hope that I will be more careful in future not to condense things beyond comprehension. That must tick people off.

That was so thoughtless of me to let this nonsequitur go. I make him sound like he may think the spiritual life to be voyeurism or something crazy. I SHOULD BETTER HAVE included my "But if justice is not involved, bringing all this murky slop up..." antecedent part in a more full and thoughtful quotation.

My apologies,

P.S. Stupid people like me need more than 15 hours minutes to edit our posts.
  • Yes. It's terrifying going back to read ones old posts. It is so easy to misread people and respond innapropriately. And what seems a sensible comment one day can seem rather daft the next.

• Consider it a lesson in right speech (writing)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Right speech also consists of knowing when to keep the talk-orifice firmly closed......
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Right speech also consists of knowing when to keep the talk-orifice firmly closed......
    Yes, but Fede, that's easier said than done! :D