Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Siddhartha Leaves Wife and Newborn Son.

Yes, news right?

What do you guys think about about Siddhartha leaving his wife and newborn son to go on his journey?

Comments

• In hindsight it was a good decision. His family was provided for. He attained enlightenment.
    ThailandTom
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2013
    The act of leaving his wife and child does admittedly seem rather harsh and selfish to many, and I can certainly understand why. My own father left just before I was born, and I sometimes have trouble with this part of the story. It seems kind of like a dickish thing to do.

That said, my father's motives probably weren't as noble as the Buddha's, who's said to have set out with compassion in his heart for all affected by ageing, illness, and death, and who eventually returned to share what he'd discovered with his family and anyone else who'd listen, his son eventually ordaining himself (and his wife, too, if you believe the later literature). In addition, they weren't left helpless, but under the care and protection of his wealthy father (and it should also be noted that the story of him 'sneaking off' in the middle of the night while his wife and child slept isn't mentioned anywhere in the Pali Canon itself, but comes from later, post-canonical sources).

So while I'm somewhat critical of the act in and of itself, and can understand why others find it rather unbecoming of someone supposedly so worthy of respect, I think the Buddha deserves some slack given his noble motives and the fact that we don't have any idea how it actually went down.
    skullchinBrianThailandTom
  • edited January 2013
    It provided another perspectively truth and innovatively modern that single still can live mangnificently and awesomically, it may be born deformed, born in love of seclusion, born to have no affinity with married life :D
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    JosephW said:

Yes, news right?

What do you guys think about about Siddhartha leaving his wife and newborn son to go on his journey?

I think you ask a legitimate question.

There are those who think it was a wise thing to do, and those who think it was selfish.

As someone mentioned, it was wise in hindsight.

But I guess I would ask, how would we judge his action if it had totally failed? The reason I ask that is that I think we should consider that looking at it in hindsight sort of leads us to imply that the ends justified the means.

mamalove
  • edited January 2013
    He left all with no room on total failure of him base upon hindsight kind of analysis, that mentioned in a particular sutra.
  • If I were him, in his position, personally, I wouldn't have having just started a family...

This being said though, you never know the position that he was in or what he was going through, exactly...
  • If you were him, you would still be in his awesomic way at that era 3000 year ago.
  • Deepankar said:

If you were him, you would still be in his awesomic way at that era 3000 year ago.

Thank you.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013
    There have been countless threads on this subject and most everyone weighs in with an ethnocentric valuation —that is, from a traditional family values position.

But it is precisely the otherworldliness of Buddha's undertaking that is artfully underlined in the story. It may not even have been true; perhaps it was added to the Gospel stories to glorify what Siddhartha had done. That is to say, what prince could be so detached from creature comforts of a warm home with soft furnishings and servants —and even to give up the tender embraces of wife and child?

Note also that in the Christian wisdom tradition, Jesus admonishes his disciples to leave family, kith, and kin behind —and go and follow him.

We simply cannot judge people of other societies from bygone ages by our own standards and yet at the same time be fair to them. But, beyond that, the stories may very well have been embellished to highlight things that their first hearers heard in a very different way than we either can or will hear.
    Begin_BeingBhanteLucky
    Nirvana said:

There have been countless threads on this subject and most everyone weighs in with an ethnocentric valuation —that is, from a traditional family values position.

But it is precisely the otherworldliness of Buddha's undertaking that is artfully underlined in the story. It may not even have been true; perhaps it was added to the Gospel stories to glorify what Suddhartha had done. That is to say, what prince could be so detached from creature comforts of a warm home with soft furnishings and servants —and even to give up the tender embraces of wife and child?

Note also that in the Christian wisdom tradition, Jesus admonishes his disciples to leave family, kith, and kin behind —and go and follow him.

We simply cannot judge people of other societies from bygone ages by our own standards and yet at the same time be fair to them. But, beyond that, the stories may very well have been embellished to highlight things that their first hearers heard in a very different way than we either can or or will hear.

You make fair points.

But if you're going to take that stance as a principle, then we can't judge Siddhartha/Buddha on anything he did at that time...most of which was very good...or, oops, I guess I can't make that judgement. Hmm.

edited April 2013
    For what it's worth, I tend to take the position that the Buddha wasn't perfect; that he was a human being just like the rest of us, and prone to doing some rather 'unenlightened' things (at least before his enlightenment, at any rate). In addition, if we accept what certain sources tell us about the Buddha's life and ancient Indian tradition at that time, which is that his father arranged his marriage when he was sixteen, then the Buddha isn't entirely to blame for getting married and starting a family. It was something more or less imposed on him by his father and tradition.

So taking that into account, and imaging him eventually coming into contact with the samana tradition of wandering ascetics and finding himself deeply called to follow that way of life, I have some sympathy for him and his predicament. That doesn't mean I necessary praise his decision to leave his wife and son to become a wandering ascetic; but for all I know, he discussed it with his wife and she supported his decision. (In my own case, my longtime girlfriend of nine years has said that she'd support my decision to ordain if I ever chose to follow that path). Just one perspective to consider.
    Begin_BeingBrian
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @Jason: The spiritual seeker moves alone. From alone to alone. There are four attributes of the spiritual life: to be free, perfect in integrity, pure (unclouded heart & mind), and blissful. In the fulness of time Siddhartha matured to the point at which he HAD to go out on his own, seeking to find the right path. He could not have wife and child in tow. He left them well provided for.

The birth narratives ARE part of the story, too. Essential to the story, also, is his royal, untainted upbringing. In the end his wife became an ardent follower, too. The story is a gospel and not one containing any stumbling blocks at all, so far as I'm concerned.

I maintain that Buddha DID NO HARM. Rather than causing pain, he brought joy into the lives of others.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    A wife and child are fetters and impediments to living the holy life :-P .. When Rahula was born the Buddha said a fetter has been out upon me..hence the name Rahula.

And besides he was the best father and husband because he found the ancient forgotten path and taught it to his family who became enlightened... What better thing can a guy do?
    Jason said:

For what it's worth, I tend to take the position that the Buddha wasn't perfect; that he was a human being just like the rest of us, and prone to doing some rather 'unenlightened' things (at least before his enlightenment, at any rate). In addition, if we take what certain sources tell us about the Buddha's life and ancient Indian tradition at that time, which is that his father arranged his marriage when he was sixteen, then the Buddha isn't entirely to blame for getting married and starting a family. It was something more or less imposed on him by his father and tradition.

So taking that into account, and imaging him eventually coming into contact with the samana tradition of wander ascetics and finding himself deeply called to follow that way of life, I have some sympathy for him and his predicament. That doesn't mean I necessary praise his decision to leave his wife and son to become a wandering ascetic; but for all I know, he discussed it with his wife and she supported his decision. (In my own case, my longtime girlfriend of nine years has said that she'd support my decision to ordain if I ever chose to follow that path). Just one perspective to consider.

Reasonable assessment.

• @Jason your girlfriend is so much awesomic than you, what is your perspective considering having such lovely girlfirend. The Wife and Newborn Son were renounced as well and attained his awesomic now.
  • This thought came to my mind today while doing some work. My first thought was that, like all humans, Siddhartha made decision that had good or/and bad consequences. Siddhartha made a decision and, though he must have caused suffering, his decision resulted in great benefits to himself and others in his lifetime and even now, thousands of years later. My vote is: worth it.
  • Prince Siddhartha was an extremist. He lived in extreme ignorance. left his former life to live a life of extreme ascetic and other extreme disciplines. Became moderately enlightened. Developed a more balanced middle way. Not so mysterious. His untiring effort, teachings and energy show his energy had been transmuted, the underlying nature still existed. What it means to us, how it inspires and encourages our efforts, is our story . . . which can be extraordinarily ordinary . . .
  • Extreme ascetic was precisely commanding highest awe and noble in India then. By learning from the extreme ascetic of pracitioner then, he found that this way of life is not the optimum solution to life. And he was a very good prince and king to be, dearly for his people and family that he loved so much for an ultimate solution of happy life, supremely responsible and awesomically exemplifying...
    edited January 2013
    Jayantha said:

A wife and child are fetters and impediments to living the holy life :-P .. When Rahula was born the Buddha said a fetter has been out upon me..hence the name Rahula.

That's one account, which is the one presented in the Nidanakatha, the introductory chapter of the commentary to the Jataka. Another account, however, is that he was born during the time of an eclipse, then thought to be caused by the sun and moon being swallowed by an asura named Rahu (rahu = eclipse), which I personally find equally as plausible (references to Rahu in the Pali Canon can be found at SN 2.9 and SN 2.10). This particular version of the story is found in the Sanghabhedavastu of the Mulasarvastivada Vinaya.
    Deepankar
  • Jayantha said:

... What better thing can a guy do?

I think that this question helps to clarify the question - the OP asks what we think about him leaving - as a father, there are many better things one can do than leave your child when they are young.

lobster said:

Prince Siddhartha was an extremist. He lived in extreme ignorance. left his former life to live a life of extreme ascetic and other extreme disciplines. Became moderately enlightened. Developed a more balanced middle way. Not so mysterious. His untiring effort, teachings and energy show his energy had been transmuted, the underlying nature still existed. What it means to us, how it inspires and encourages our efforts, is our story . . . which can be extraordinarily ordinary . . .

Interesting post and way of looking at it.

• Jason said:

Jayantha said:

A wife
    and child are fetters and impediments to living the holy life :-P .. When Rahula was born the Buddha said a fetter has been out upon me..hence the name Rahula.

That's one account, which is the one presented in the Nidanakatha, the introductory chapter of the commentary to the Jataka. Another account, however, is that he was born during the time of an eclipse, then thought to be caused by the sun and moon being swallowed by an asura named Rahu, which I personally find equally as plausible (references to Rahu in the Pali Canon can be found at SN 2.9 and SN 2.10). This particular version is presented in the Sanghabhedavastu of the Mulasarvastivada Vinaya.
    That is the point..if we are discussing historical events they occured at a time and in a culture vastly different to ours. A time when the notion of romantic love had not yet been invented.
    Best concentrate on the core teachings and sit loose to the biographical stuff..imo.
    robotBunks
  • In our time today - it would be very very very selfish! And no man should 'leave' his family to attain 'some' enlightenment when he should just realze enlightenment is right in front of him!

However; back then , i think it was the norm!!!!! Every one did it!
  • I think that in this age family responsibility comes first. A fatherless family can suffer badly.
    A person in the midst of raising his family must work with his situation.
    Later there will be time for individual pursuits.
    Everything gained in those family years will compound in later life dedicated to practice or other personal endeavours.

That is the point..if we are discussing historical events they occured at a time and in a culture vastly different to ours. A time when the notion of romantic love had not yet been invented.
    Best concentrate on the core teachings and sit loose to the biographical stuff..imo.

How do you know people didn't love each other back then?

zenmyste said:

In our time today - it would be very very very selfish! And no man should 'leave' his family to attain 'some' enlightenment when he should just realze enlightenment is right in front of him!

This is getting crazy.

Everybody went out and sought enlightenment back then?

Is anyone really thinking about what they're writing here?

• mettanandomettanando Veteran
    edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

How do you know people didn't love each other back then

I said " ROMANTIC love" I think you will find that is a relatively modern concept.
    Many historians date it to the Middle Ages. Check it out.
    However in our times it is almost heretical to say so.
    We have a whole culture built around a mental mechanism which is largely a social construct, but which we are taught is central to existence.
    Early Buddhists distinguished between metta , which I hope needs no explanation and " kama" ( note; not kaRma )..sensual attachment, the latter is most like our notion of romantic love.
    Metta is seen as condusive to spritual growth.
    Kama is seen by both Buddhism and Hinduism as a major obstacle to Enlightenment.
  • The evidence is that the concept that we have of what constitutes a husband and father would have been utterly alien to the people of that age.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

zenmyste said:

In our time today - it would be very very very selfish! And no man should 'leave' his family to attain 'some' enlightenment when he should just realze enlightenment is right in front of him!

This is getting crazy.

Everybody went out and sought enlightenment back then?

Is anyone really thinking about what they're writing here?

Well thats wot ive read and been told..

And if your telling me that most men 'didnt' go and seek enlightenment then this siddhartha geezer has just lost ALOT of my respect!

What he did in my opinion was very selfish!

I thought it was the 'norm' back then but if not then WOW - what a horrible, unthoughtful person!

How cud anyone 'leave' their new born just to attain some "enlightenment"

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013

The evidence is that the concept that we have of what constitutes a husband and father would have been utterly alien to the people of that age.

And in this age you generally don't have your father arrange a marriage between you and your 16 old cousin, who happens to be a wealthy princess living in a royal palace. It's not like he asked her to marry him. Since when do you ask your 16 yr old cousin to marry you? It's not like he left her behind to work two jobs or something. It's not like she had to go and raise the kid all by herself. I don't think it was selfish to do what he did. It wasn't just for him. Given what he set out to do, staying there and keeping the status and wealth of a price to become king, would have been more selfish
    mettanando
  • seeker242 said:

The evidence is that the concept that we have of what constitutes a husband and father would have been utterly alien to the people of that age.

And in this age you generally don't have your father arrange a marriage between you and your 16 old cousin, who happens to be a wealthy princess living in a royal palace. It's not like he asked her to marry him. Since when do you ask your 16 yr old cousin to marry you? It's not like he left her behind to work two jobs or something. It's not like she had to go and raise the kid all by herself. I don't think it was selfish to do what he did. It wasn't just for him. Given what he set out to do, staying there and keeping the status and wealth of a price to become king, would have been more selfish
    Erm, your wrong actually! Because yes it does still happen today! Unless you are from the counrty or a culture that still does this then you wouldnt know! But dont assume you know things without doing the research!

I had a friend from college uni, who had to go back to his country for an arranged marriage! Long story - but does happen im afraid!
  • zenmyste said:

seeker242 said:

Erm, your wrong actually! Because yes it does still happen today! Unless you are from the counrty or a culture that still does this then you wouldnt know! But dont assume you know things without doing the research!

I had a friend from college uni, who had to go back to his country for an arranged marriage! Long story - but does happen im afraid!
    You are missing the point. The fact is it is not possible to compare cultural norms from ancient India of 2500 years ago and what is normative in modern western culture and then decide that someone from those times does not match up to modern norms.
    Of course they dont.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2013

[...] it is not possible to compare cultural norms from ancient India of 2500 years ago and what is normative in modern western culture [...]

Excellent point. And let's also remember, he was not a Buddha when he made his decision.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited January 2013
    But then does that not also mean we cannot compare the practices/dharma and enlightenment from 2500 years ago ? But you all seem to do so!

Buddhists are trying to follow an ancient traditional path that was set in a time when perhaps the buddhist teachings 'were' needed!

Buddha said this
    Buddha said that....

Buddha said we need to do this....

That was '2500' years ago!

If we cannot cannot compre culture then i believe we cannot compare our life to theirs 2500 years ago therefore practice surely cannot and 'should not' be the same !

• Hand's up anyone here who came from a culture where arranged marriages are still practiced! It was and is the accepted practice through much of history. Marriage as an economic and social contract between families was as common as the wealthy having more than one wife, or at least a few concubines on the side.

But romantic love was also acknowledged even in those cultures and the truth is that two good people in an arranged marriage usually come to love each other. This "there is only one love for me and I'll be the one to choose" attitude has its critics.

The Taj Mahal is a Perisan monument to a heartbroken Emperor when his third wife died giving birth to his 14th child. Certainly an arranged marriage between royal families. Their love and his grief became legendary. So we certainly can understand how people behaved in other cultures and times. They behaved like people everywhere in every time. The Dharma is universal.
    andyrobyn
    edited January 2013
    Practise transcends culture. What is unchanged is the three signs of being..dukkha, anatta and anicca...and the practices that transcend them.
    But the cultures in which the three signs arise are very different That includes the social mores of family dynamics.

Jeffreylobster
  • I bet it was more difficult for him than it was for them. He left for a life of danger and poverty, leaving them behind to live a life of safety and luxury. Also, remember that back then people didn't marry out of genuine love and loyalty-- it was an arrangement, society told you who and when to marry.
    Jeffrey
  • I bet it was more difficult for him than it was for them. He left for a life of danger and poverty, leaving them behind to live a life of safety and luxury. Also, remember that back then people didn't marry out of genuine love and loyalty-- it was an arrangement, society told you who and when to marry.

Truth is, none of us know for sure do we!

Ive read that he 'did' meet a girl and fall in love and wanted to marry , but he just wasnt 'conent' with 'something', so decided to go on a journey to seek inner peace!

But like i said no one knows.

He who tries to tell you that 'their way' is correct - RUN a mile!
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • I see no one telling anyone that their way is correct.
  • I see no one telling anyone that their way is correct.

Wait for it .... lol
    They might not be 'online' yet!

I see it all the time on here!

Everyone is supposed to be studying buddhism yet all got their own opinion on what buddhism actually is!

Ive noticed some people on here get aggresive quite quick aswell.. Its either 'their' way OR the 'high' way!

vinlyn said:

How do you know people didn't love each other back then

I said " ROMANTIC love" I think you will find that is a relatively modern concept.
    Many historians date it to the Middle Ages. Check it out.
    However in our times it is almost heretical to say so.
    We have a whole culture built around a mental mechanism which is largely a social construct, but which we are taught is central to existence.
    Early Buddhists distinguished between metta , which I hope needs no explanation and " kama" ( note; not kaRma )..sensual attachment, the latter is most like our notion of romantic love.
    Metta is seen as condusive to spritual growth.
    Kama is seen by both Buddhism and Hinduism as a major obstacle to Enlightenment.
    My point is that you really can't have it both ways. Either that era was "vastly different to ours", which means we don't know very much about how people actually thought, OR you can define how people felt about things...such as love.

Whether it's the dawn of Thai civilization, or colonial New England, or Virginia of the Civil War era, it's every difficult for us to have any clear understanding of how cultures felt about emotions and even norms of behavior. We can go to Sukhothai in Thailand and see many ruins of a culture that began to thrive in the 1200s, and we can walk around and see the stone buildings and not even be aware that the people lived in and did most of their business in wooden structures...not one of which survived. We don't know how they really thought or reacted to events...we hardly even know anything about the events of the era, other than wars and such. And yet you think we can get into the minds of how people thought 1800 years earlier. I don't think so.

Jeffrey

I don't usually ask people to cite "evidence" in our chats and discussions because we're just being informal here. But if you're going to tell me that there is evidence -- your choice of words -- of the type you're talking about, then please provide it, because I haven't seen much evidence of what daily life was like in Siddhartha's era.

zenmyste said:

seeker242 said:

Yes, I can vouch for that in a family I know in Pakistan and even in Thailand.

You are missing the point. The fact is it is not possible to compare cultural norms from ancient India of 2500 years ago and what is normative in modern western culture and then decide that someone from those times does not match up to modern norms.
    Of course they dont.

Certainly you can compare different things. You can point out similarities and differences. That is actually the point of making comparisons. The purpose of most history books is to compare various eras.

Now, how fair it is to judge someone from another era based on our norms...well, that is the question. But we're just chatting here. We're not exactly historians whose words are going to be documented as study tools for future generations.

• i think that Buddha's leaving his family was more a lesson to us - that for the greater good, he forsook his family. Can you imagine if Buddha decided that his wife and son was more important and he had responsibilities as a father and husband, we may not have Buddhism as we know it today!!
  • Which applies equally to the OP. We can deduce that in may ways the ancients differed from ourselves . The people of the Buddhas day were preliterate and has a cosmology which involved a model of the universe and social structure very different from what we believe to be the truth.
    So it could be that the Buddha-to be felt a range of emotions similar to the ones that we would feel if we were leaving husband/wife and child.
    But it is equally possible that in assuming that we are projecting backwards a range of emotions that may or may not have been there.
    What we know is that dukkha anicca and anatta characterised their existence then as it does ours.
  • The divorce rate is very high. Perhaps Sidhartha did just like a large percentage of men and women who break up. He just didn't divorce rather found a different arrangement. It was his life and his choice. I wouldn't stew and gossip over my friend or father or mother who got a divorce.
    lobsterVastmind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    zenmyste said:

seeker242 said:

I didn't mean to say arranged marriages don't happen. Just that the woman is not usually 16 and not your cousin, who happens to be a princess. I doubt your friends wife was a 16 year old cousin princess. :D
    edited January 2013
    Exactly. This was a life that until his going forth was lived within a warrior clan in a remote kingdom
    on the periphery of an ancient empire, speaking a language that we are not sure of ( It was certainly not Pali or Sanskrit ) We can only speculate about the subtleties that motivated him.
    But what he discovered or rediscovered about the nature of reality has universal application for all time.