Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Human, Buddha or . . .

There seem to be two major ways that the enlightened mind emerges.
One is the non interference with the process of arising. This is the approach of Zen and Dzogchen.
The other is the stimulation, simulation and enactment of the enlightened state. To be found in the 8 fold path and Tantric Buddhism.
Will this process ever be automated by science? Would that ever be a legitimate goal?

My understanding is the brain can be 'rewired', we have great neuroplasticity. Even quite conflicted and obscuring pathways can be improved. The Buddhist and mystic paths, offer us more than a being at the whim of neurons, memories and attachments. Each of us has the potential to be awake. In a sense our destinies can be more than genetics and karma. Will the singularity offer us a new sense of humanity? What sort of model will we choose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
ThailandTomDaiva

Comments

• Sadly, I cannot view this in China. :( I wish I could. I'm sure I would have had a lot to say.
  • For those in China and similar . . .
    Scientists are starting to map and develop a mechanistic comprehension of consciousness, independent of archaic soul or incarnating 'evolutionary' theories. The video deals very much with the scientific approach mentioned here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Ha! I knew it! An Enlightenment Pill is possible, eventually!
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    The singularity would definitely make the question "what is it to be human?" even more complex.

If the spiritual "process" were to be automated by science... I'm not sure what to think of that. I guess if it helped bring peace and harmony to the world at large, that would be great. Maybe it's just my ego/attachments, but it seems like it's "cheating" to just pay to get "rewired" and become enlightened or whatever when so many people sat so hard to even get a shred of satori experience.

And, despite suggestions otherwise, I feel that it could just make inequalities worse. Who would be able to afford the benefits of a dramatic advancement in nanotechnology and artificial intelligence?
  • Thanks for the link @lobster, it was a really enjoyable watch. I would love to have access to my own headset and cameras, that looks like it has a lot of fun possibilities. As far as science being able to enforce enlightenment by a pill or whatever, I personally think there is a little more to it than tinkering with chemicals etc. There are drugs that can wipe away the sense of self that exist at present, in fact I have experienced total 'ego loss' directly from drug interactions before, and it is obviously 'artificial' and even though often profound not ever lasting or liberating. Sometimes it can even be a terribly fear inducing.

Still, thanks again for the link it truly was an interesting find :)
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2013
    lobster said:

Will this process ever be automated by science?

In a sense our destinies can be more than....

It is likely from past trends that life will find a way.

Our 'destinies' is a tough one... it is our observation that provides significance to any particular occurance.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Enlightenment is not euphoria, it is not eliminating agressiveness, and it is not lack of pain and worry and anger. If that is all enlightenment is, then we can manufacture a race of enlightened people by handing out bottles of valium. If enlightenment is lack of ego, then widescale lobotomy is all we need.

Nor, even at the risk of disagreeing with some very respected old Masters, is meditative mind state enlightenment.

Neuroscientists play around with the "form" part of the skandhas. Change the form (physical brain and chemistry) and you change the way our minds work. Psychiatrists also play around with our perceptions and Psychologists and Therapists attempt to work with our consciousness. They can help us change the way our minds think, but they cannot produce a single moment of enlightenment. The MRI scanner can now see the various parts of the brain active when meditating. Figure out how to stimulate those externally, and you've created the sensation of meditating. Congratulations. Now what?

This always reminds me of how research scientists created a computer capable of beating the human mind at chess, and people started talking about how much smarter it was than people because it was skilled at a single game with defined rules. Then another set of scientists built a huge computer capable of winning at a trivia game show, and people talked about how the ability to remember facts showed we were getting somewhere.

Being able to move pieces on a chessboard doesn't mean you enjoy the challenge of playing another skilled chessmaster. You're just moving pieces on a board because that's what you do. Being able to access an entire dictionary and recite a library of books doesn't mean you can write one original thought. You're just a glorified spellchecker.

The human mind used to be pictured as a whole group of little people with their own different jobs, like a stage play going on in our heads. That's where the little good angel and bad devil on our shoulders came from. Then we thought of it as a series of gears like any machine, when that was the level of our technology. We still talk of the "gears turning in our heads". Then we discovered electricity and the light bulb went on over our heads. Then the computer arrived and suddenly our minds were little computers processing data.

And every one of these metaphors is woefully inadequate. So what's next?
    ThailandTom
  • This video has inspired me to contemplate the self a little more. Before I had a conception about consciousness that is not exactly on one side of the fence or the other. However, now I feel that we simply have a highly developed brain which can register a notion of self, it seems that with intellect comes illusion that we need to peel back. My question is why does this come with intelligence? Why do we and at least two other species in the world have the capacity to be self-aware? It may be simply down to the structure of the brain along with it's size, taking into account the experiment that clearly showed how consciousness can be shown as neutrons communicating with each other this would seem like a logical assumption? Also why do we become self-aware between the age of 18-24 months old? Again that may be down to simple facts about the brain and development.
  • There already is a science of enlightement. It's called Buddhism. Yes, yes, I know that natural scientists would not call it a science, but it would qualify according to Popper, depending on how we do it. It's because he knows this that HHDL call Buddhism a 'science of mind'.

Modern scientific consciousness studies, neurophysiology etc. is nowhere on any of this, and as for the AI people, generally they still think that consciousness is an entirely computational phenomenon, which leaves them a lot of catching up to do. The approach scientists generally take to this looks frighteningly naive and is obviously not productive.

I gave up my subscription to the Journal of Consciousness Studies after three years because nothing ever changed. Round and round in circles it goes. My own researches led me straight as an arrow to Buddhism, which is a more scientific approach than that taken by all those 'dispassionate' scientists who assume that the Buddhist solution to the proplem of consiousness is wrong without bothering to find out what it is.

Sorry. Ranting again. Modern 'scientific' consciousness studies is a joke and it annoys the hell out of me.

lobster
  • Florian said:

There already is a science of enlightement. It's called Buddhism. Yes, yes, I know that natural scientists would not call it a science, but it would qualify according to Popper, depending on how we do it. It's because he knows this that HHDL call Buddhism a 'science of mind'.

Modern scientific consciousness studies, neurophysiology etc. is nowhere on any of this, and as for the AI people, generally they still think that consciousness is an entirely computational phenomenon, which leaves them a lot of catching up to do. The approach scientists generally take to this looks frighteningly naive and is obviously not productive.

I gave up my subscription to the Journal of Consciousness Studies after three years because nothing ever changed. Round and round in circles it goes. My own researches led me straight as an arrow to Buddhism, which is a more scientific approach than that taken by all those 'dispassionate' scientists who assume that the Buddhist solution to the proplem of consiousness is wrong without bothering to find out what it is.

Sorry. Ranting again. Modern 'scientific' consciousness studies is a joke and it annoys the hell out of me.

I see where you are coming from here, personally I still agree there is no shortcut to liberation as it must come from a progression of experience and effort, but there is some good to come from consciousness studies as well. If you have viewed the video or not it shows I dunno but there is good to be gained from this, for example people in a coma who are all viewed as being unconscious to the average Jo, now it can be projected to them that that is not the case. I feel they have made advances and will continue to do so, but there is no shortcut to awakening IMO and everything you need to get there was and always will be there until the day you die.
  • No shortcuts?
    Perhaps . . .
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Is this neuroscientist enlightened? Deluded? Rewired?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2013
    lobster said:

Is this neuroscientist enlightened? Deluded? Rewired?

If the person herself hasn't labelled it, why would you expend time seeking to?
    ThailandTom
  • I've listened to Dr. Taylor before. She experienced a terrible brain injury, and the closest thing I can think of is some of the symptoms sound like a terrible case of Zen Sickness that goes on and on.
  • By the way @novaw0lf what is it like in China with regards to the internet being control and so forth?
  • By the way @novaw0lf what is it like in China with regards to the internet being control and so forth?

It sucks. Lol! ;)

There's a Chinese version of everything. And when I say a "Chinese" version, I literally mean a "Chinese version". They have their own Facebook (called RenRen) that uses the same color scheme (blue and white), same technology and template, etc.

Imagine everything available in the west, put it through Google translator, and viola. The Great "Fire"wall of China.

Instead of Youtube, we have Youku, for example. Virtually the same website. Anything registered on the government list as banned comes up as "404 error" when you try to type it in, as if it never existed.

They try to monitor everything that comes in and out of any of the country's networks. There are ways around it of course (getting a VPN), for example, but those are illegal.
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Anything that they can't monitor or edit, they ban. The only reason why newbuddhist.com isn't banned is because it's not big enough of a website to really get noticed by they're blue and red teams.

• It's also an ingenious way of building the country's economy. Facebook pulls in the big bucks every year, as well as Google (which is also banned; we have Baidu...which is -exactly- the same thing, just Chinese). So long as China can block the western websites and make identical ones of its own, they can tax it (since they can't legally tax Facebook), and put more money in the government for what is believed to be the greater good of the people.
  • Yea it is clever and works really well for the system I guess, I have a couple of Chinese friends and my boss is half Thai half Chinese, but nobody I know has been there for a while or ever. I have often wondered just how strict they are about censorship etc, it seems they are pretty damn strict. Sorry off topic I was just curious, thanks for the info ;)
  • 没问题。这是我的荣誉。

No problem. It's my honor.
  • Intelligence (artificial of otherwise) is not the same as enlightenment.
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Daozen said:

Intelligence (artificial of otherwise) is not the same as enlightenment.

Agreed. Intelligence is one thing; liberation is another.