Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling strange in meditation?

MateeahMateeah Explorer
edited February 2013 in Meditation
Sometimes when I meditate and am in deep connection with this mystery of what I am, I feel very... Strange. I have no idea who or what I am or where i came from; it's almost as if I haven't ever experienced life before because it all feels so dreamlike and I don't know what it is. Has anyone ever had this experience? If so, does anyone have any guidance on how to go about with these "strange" feelings? To clarify, it isn't a negative feeling, it's more like a stepping in very new territory and I'm a bit startled because I've never been here before.

Comments

• Just welcome the feeling. Let it be there and keep meditating. You don't have to do anything with any feeling, or rather insight will come in time. Fine to ask though.
    Invincible_summerWisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Be patient. It will pass.

Many of the experiences in meditation involve getting accustomed to things you never knew ... and yet knew all along.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    In reality, we've never before been in each new moment of meditation.

Not only are "You" the meditator, re created, moment by moment but there are unlimited phenomena willing to drop by for a visit given enough time and sincerity in a meditation practise.
    Your meditation is to simply observe all without trying to effect any outcome. It sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.

Welcome into a reality so wide where ego's fear to follow.
    Invincible_summer
  • Welcome to life.
  • How wonderful
    How strange
    How ordinary

One uses 'not-Self', then, as a reason to let go of things, not to 'prove' that there is no Self. There is no need to give some philosophical denial of 'Self'; the idea simply withers away, or evaporates in the light of knowledge, when it is seen that the concept does not apply to anything at all, or, as the Suttas put it, when it is seen that everything is 'empty' of Self. A philosophical denial is just a view, a theory, which may be agreed with or not. It does not get one to actually examine all the things that one really does identify with, consciously or unconsciously, as Self or I.
    Peter Harvey

Once you pay attention to the 'I' that experiences, you find you can not find it independent of strangeness or any other arising. In other words, the sense of 'I' is dependent on a sensation of strangeness, a memory, a fantasy, a 100 000 forms . . . None of the forms are the self.
    Form is empty of self but self 'needs' a form to be a 'self' . . .

How wonderful
    How strange
    How ordinary

Attention
    Attention
    Attention

After you verify the truth of this, you can begin to meditate for 'real' :thumbup:
    JeffreyLucy_Begood
  • I think that's probably a good thing. To me it shows that you are waking up, because the fact of the matter is that reality is, well, strange . . . It's not fully trust worthy. First it's here, now it's there. It moves, morphs, and changes.
  • Sounds like the direct experience of non-self. Good work, OP. :thumbsup: