Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tonglen meditation

Here's a meditation I discovered - works wonders -

http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/tonglen1.php

Have a good one!
Invincible_summer

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I've tried this practice before, and didn't find it particularly effective. However, my meditation practice has matured a lot more now, so I'll probably give it another go! Sounds very good.
  • It's like an applied metta meditation. My teacher highly recommends it, but it's only really effective after about 15 - 20 minutes of shamatha (mindfulness). After that, it's relatively easy to attain a highly concentrated state when doing tonglen.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Geoff-Allen

Are you really banned? Or is that just an "ironic" avatar? I'm confused! LOL
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

@Geoff-Allen

Are you really banned? Or is that just an "ironic" avatar? I'm confused! LOL

Yes he's banned, I don't know why.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Yeah what's with the banning? I like Geoff's posts a lot (!)
  • Thank you so much for sharing this with me and us.......I seem to be getting by ok with what I have been doing for the last 20 years or so......
  • Wonderful!. . .My Buddhism teachers said if they could teach only one type of meditation, it would be Tonglen :)
  • tonglen is an excellent practice, very beneficial, particularly for the terminally Zen, who have too few arisings to deal with :p
    https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices/tonglen