Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kalu Rinpoche, June Campbell

What do you guys think about the scandal with Kalu Rinpoche and June Campbell? The new buddhist group I am thinking of joining use books from Kalu Rinpoche, and I don't know what to think. Even though this happened, his teachings can be good? I mean we are all good and bad. I just wish I could practise buddhism and not think about all these things, I just think it is hard to ignore. I don't know.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I found this: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01/enlightened-tantric-yogi-or-abusive-capitalist-con-artist-adele-wilde-blavatsky/
    In conclusion, it is important for us to recall that the real teacher is our inner wisdom and the outer teacher is only a means to recognise that.
    trendybuddhachela
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    holy crap when it rains it pours eh? all of these scandals seem to be coming out at once. I've never even heard of any of this type of stuff until recently. I have heard of molestation of young boys at monasteries in some countries though.

Just goes to show humans are humans regardless of what conceptual framework they create around themselves.
  • OP, people swear by Kalu Rinpoche's teachings. Those who were around when he toured the West say they were of a profundity that is rarely found among teachers today. Only you can decide whether you can overlook the controversy in order to benefit from the teachings, or if you prefer to look elsewhere for teachings. Or whether you want to check out other Buddhist centers where you won't be faced with a decision like this.
  • The thing is, I think there will always be some confusion and doubt. And I think that I might find something I dislike with any group. That does not mean that I think one should just settle, but maybe it is important to find out where the line goes.
  • Jeffrey, thank you so much for that article!
  • trendybuddhatrendybuddha Explorer
    edited February 2013
    And, I am so happy to have found this forum. Everyone seems so reflected, critical and compassionate. I am happy that there is room for questions from new-commers like myself, even though my questions might seem too basic or maybe dumb. :)
    Brianchela
  • Welcome to New Buddhist, new Buddhist! :)
    trendybuddha
  • be your own filter

I don't have to molest women, be racist or ignorant just because a lecturer of mathematics I wish to learn behaves this way . . . do I?

You don't have to get into a wheel chair just to learn physics from Stephen Hawking.

We do learn from the disabled, the ignorant, the unenlightened. It is where we are . . . Now where . . . ?

Free your mind.
  • Find teachings which are the correct medicine for you.

What was the moral character of the doctor/nurse who administered your smallpox vaccination as a child, or your latest round of antibiotics as an adult? Good medicine is not contaminated by those giving it. But we, the student, need to be sure to concentrate on the medicine and not get hung up on the personality of the one dispensing it.
    lobstertrendybuddhaMaryAnne
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2013
    People who have read my responses on the subject of children forced to become celebate monks know it's a hot button issue of mine.

Kalu Rinpoche, (the boy posting youtube videos today) if viewed with a clear mind, is a troubled young man trying to deal with a boatload of crap that began when he was yanked away from his family and forced to pretend he was someone else, a tulku, some reincarnated Bodhisattva. Considering all that, he's a normal kid. He's basically a nice guy with some issues. Sounds like he might turn into an effective teacher one day, but he'll be battling a league of enablers who cheer even his self-destructive behavior because "That's crazy wisdom, don't you know, and who are we to criticize his drinking or question his projectile vomiting after a weekend party?"

What he isn't, is some savior with special insight or enlightened mind. He wasn't born with special abilities, no matter what the Tibetan myth wants you to believe.

Ms Blavatsky, in her article, is struggling with her own understanding of why the reality she sees and hears about is so different from the myth and false face presented to the world. The truth is, these monks are just people like you and me. There are good and bad monks, and even the good monks hold biases and attitudes that reflect the problems with their mysogynist culture. A system and culture that minimizes and downgrades the nature and role of women, suddenly forced to deal with women who act and assume a male role? Yeah, like that won't cause problems. A system that assumes total secrecy and worship of the tulku and Rinpoche, no matter what, trying to deal with a culture that assumes even lay people should have a say in what goes on behind temple walls and how their Teachers behave? Of course there's going to be conflict.

The question is, can the Tibetan monk system adapt and respond to these criticisms. That's not a given. Theocracies are extremely conservative and resistant to change. Just look at the Catholic church.

MaryAnnePatr
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Cinorjer said:

Considering all that, he's a normal kid. He's basically a nice guy with some issues. Sounds like he might turn into an effective teacher one day, but he'll be battling a league of enablers who cheer even his self-destructive behavior because "That's crazy wisdom, don't you know, and who are we to criticize his drinking or question his projectile vomiting after a weekend party?"

I don't know where you get this. Kalu Rinpoche went through a phase of using alcohol and drugs as a result of the multiple traumas he suffered in the monastery. This acting out is fairly typical for kids who suffer sexual abuse, not to mention a murder attempt. One of his advisers counseled him to give back his robes and serve as a lay teacher, so that's what he's doing, and he's off the alcohol and drugs. And btw, his parents kept him at home and schooled him at home (his father was a lama). It was when his father died that he was taken into a monastery, and later the trouble began.

You may be interested in one of Kalu Rinpoche's main projects, Cinorjer. He plans to prohibit the induction of boys into monasteries that he's in control of, and to start a school for boys that would be an alternative to the monasteries. The boys would learn both a modern secular curriculum along with religious studies, so that at 18, they could choose between entering a monastery, getting a job (for which they'll be a lot better qualified than if they left a monastery, only knowing how to read and do math), or going to college. As a residential school, this wouldn't solve the problem of the institutionalization of boys and its attendant perils, but it's a step in the right direction. It's about time someone called attention to these serious problems, so that children enduring this particular brand of suffering might have hope of a more normal--and safe--life. As a result of Kalu Rinpoche's speaking out, which seemed rather cathartic to me--a necessary part of his healing process, other young tulkus have begun to speak about their similar experience.
    http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/09/a-vision-for-the-future/

I regard this work of his to build a school and take a step toward ending the tradition of child novices to be Bodhisattva work. It doesn't really matter if he ever becomes a great teacher, if he's able to bring about badly-needed reforms to the system.

JeffreyFlorianInvincible_summerPatr
  • @Dakini I hope he succeeds in life, I really do. I hope he builds his monasteries and sets rules into place to curb the abuse of the system and give the children an education. If he really understands he's nothing special and the product of the system, then it must might happen.
  • Jeffrey said:

I found this: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01/enlightened-tantric-yogi-or-abusive-capitalist-con-artist-adele-wilde-blavatsky/

In conclusion, it is important for us to recall that the real teacher is our inner wisdom and the outer teacher is only a means to recognise that.

The question of succession was brought up with the Buddha by his personal attendant, Venerable Ananda, just moments prior to the Great Demise. The Blessed One, however, did not appoint anyone in his place. Instead he advised his followers to regard the doctrine and discipline that he had taught as their teacher. The Dhamma-Vinaya was to succeed him as the highest authority, one from which Buddhists may derive guidance and instruction. This was, indeed, a farsighted proclamation. The Buddha knew that placing absolute powers and responsibility in the hands of any individual could in the long run jeopardize the institution. Even during his lifetime he had made regulatory provisions for the Sangha administration to be carried out through collective deliberation and action of its members without vesting any special privileges or prerogatives on any individual. This method remains the model for all ecclesiastical rites and actions within the Sangha institution down to the present day.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/getting2.htm

The Blessed One's Final Exhortation
    1. Now the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html
    Jeffrey
  • @pegembara this is one of the real attractions for me to follow the Buddha's teachings, despite many statements I find that says that you HAVE to have a teacher to practice meditation. Now, I think that it's entirely possible to benefit from having a teacher/mentor, but as an outsider looking in (as I am very new to Buddhism), one can clearly see that a strict institutionalization of the teachings via a patriarchal lineage system CAN be a great breeding ground for power plays and unethical behavior. Not to say unethical behavior can't be found all over the place, but systems in which people hold extreme power over others seem to promote the worst kinds of behavior.
  • I know my teacher has helped my practice. She has shown me dharma, even in the midst of my crisis (plural). The teacher gives a method. You can study texts to learn any subject but an actual teacher can creatively adjust to the student and the situation. It's a bit daunting to have infinite texts and be unsure where to start.
  • If the Buddha's words weren't recorded until about 500 after his Parinirvana then how did they appear if not for some form of organization?

Even if we don't practice with or receive teachings directly from a master what is the source of the information we are receiving and who did it come from?

Certainly there must have been some monks with more knowledge regarding the Dharma then others, and they were the obviously looked to for some kind of guidance in determining what and what wasn't to be included in scripture. Even the idea for a council had its origin.

For me this would indicate there had been some form of organizing leadership even from the very beginning with teachings passed down from master to disciple through the ages. Directly or indirectly the influence is still there whether we recognize it or not.

• You may be interested in one of Kalu Rinpoche's main projects, Cinorjer. He plans to prohibit the induction of boys into monasteries that he's in control of, and to start a school for boys that would be an alternative to the monasteries. The boys would learn both a modern secular curriculum along with religious studies, so that at 18, they could choose between entering a monastery, getting a job (for which they'll be a lot better qualified than if they left a monastery, only knowing how to read and do math), or going to college. As a residential school, this wouldn't solve the problem of the institutionalization of boys and its attendant perils, but it's a step in the right direction. It's about time someone called attention to these serious problems, so that children enduring this particular brand of suffering might have hope of a more normal--and safe--life. As a result of Kalu Rinpoche's speaking out, which seemed rather cathartic to me--a necessary part of his healing process, other young tulkus have begun to speak about their similar experience.
    http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/09/a-vision-for-the-future/

Just read the article, seems to hit Bulls-eye on all points!!!
    Hope this is the very first step towards a better TB.

• The words were preserved by the group chanting of the monks before the advent of writing on the leaves. In this way there is less reliance on a single person's memory alone. By reading through the Pali Canon, there are coherent and consistent theme(s) which are repeated. One gets a strong impression that the words are those of a master especially in the Majhimma, Samyutta and Anguttara Nikayas. Bottomline - read through the texts and decide for yourselves.
    Several scholars who specialize in the field of early Buddhism have said that much of the contents of the Pali Canon (and its main teachings) can be attributed to Gautama Buddha. Richard Gombrich says that the main preachings of the Buddha (as in the Vinaya and Sutta Pitaka) are coherent and cogent, and must be the work of a single genius: the Buddha himself, not a committee of followers after his death.[19][20] Peter Harvey also affirms the authenticity of "much" of the Pali Canon.[21] A.K. Warder has stated that there is no evidence to suggest that the shared teaching of the early schools was formulated by anyone else than the Buddha and his immediate followers.[22] J.W. de Jong has said it would be "hypocritical" to assert that we can say nothing about the teachings of earliest Buddhism, arguing that "the basic ideas of Buddhism found in the canonical writings could very well have been proclaimed by him [the Buddha], transmitted and developed by his disciples and, finally, codified in fixed formulas."[23] A. Wynne has said that the Pali Canon includes texts which go back to the very beginning of Buddhism, which perhaps include the substance of the Buddha’s teaching, and in some cases, maybe even his words.[24] Hajime Nakamura writes that while nothing can be definitively attributed to Gautama as a historical figure, some sayings or phrases must derive from him.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāli_Canon