Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

so i have chosen a path.

After a wee bit of study i think zen buddhism best suites me. i am aware this path focuses more on meditation and discovering your own truths rathrr than deeply studying the dharma. i have looked at zen living which i call the k.i.s.s style keep it simple stupid lol but is there any advice you can give me for following this path

many thanks
Invincible_summerZendoLord84

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Mu.
    BhanteLuckywicked_good_kamma
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Welcome to the club! :rockon:

I've found that it's very easy to forget to not judge one's own practice. I've had times when I thought "I've been meditating regularly for awhile - why aren't I developing more positive attributes?" Or maybe "Why am I still so distracted?" Zen is so simple that it's almost difficult sometimes.

I posted this quote from "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" in another thread, but it's worth re-quoting.

By the way, it's a good book that's very worthwhile to read after you've developed a regular meditation practice.
    After you have practiced for a while, you will realize that it is not possible to make rapid, extraordinary progress. Even though you try very hard, the progress you make is always little by little. It is not like going out in a shower in which you know when you get wet. In a fog, you do not know you are getting wet, but as you keep walking you get wet little by little. If your mind has ideas of progress, you may say, "Oh, this pace is terrible!" But actually it is not. When you get wet in a fog it is very difficult to dry yourself. So there is no need to worry about progress.
    Wisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Wisdom23 -- Best wishes in your continuing efforts. Take courage, patience and doubt as your companions. Since Zen practice puts some emphasis on zazen or seated meditation ... well, do zazen. Zazen doesn't lie but it's not always easy to tell the truth.

Easy or hard, do zazen anyway.

Good luck.
    Invincible_summerWisdom23
  • this forum may shut this month :bawl:
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org/

Good luck :wave:
    @Lobster -- Do you know this from a private source? I couldn't find any indicator on the site itself,
  • @genkaku
    One of the admins/owners, I think it was Susan mentioned this . . .
    The bulk of practitioners are excellent, make use of their experience now, find out where they go if moving . . .
    edited February 2013
    @lobster -- Thanks. Was it Carol, perhaps? And does "shut" mean close up shop or reconfigure the site? Was it mentioned publicly? Sorry to ask publicly but I can't seem to find the PM function.
  • Could have been Carol, just write and ask them, they will put you right - let us know
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Wisdom23
    May your zen be more verb than noun.
    A cool motorcycle jacket enblazened with ZAZEN RULES doesn't help.
    The first one out of the Zendo can't trade up to better footwear.
    chela
  • lobster said:

this forum may shut this month :bawl:
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org/

Good luck :wave:

WHAT, what, what??! Why would Zenforum be closing?

@genkaku To access the PM function, click on the little envelope icon at top left of page, under your name.

• I just checked the thread at zenforum where this is being discussed. One of the moderators gives several reasons for considering not renewing the domain name when it comes up for annual renewal, shortly. She says they don't have sufficient tech staff to maintain and develop the site, there are moderation issues, and she seems to feel that some of the discussions don't accurately represent Zen to beginners who might join to check out Zen. And she says there doesn't seem to be enough "practice" going on, or practice-oriented discussion.

Wow.
    :(
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    how said:

A cool motorcycle jacket enblazened with ZAZEN RULES doesn't help.

Now you tell me! :facepalm:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Dakini said:

I just checked the thread at zenforum where this is being discussed. One of the moderators gives several reasons for considering not renewing the domain name when it comes up for annual renewal, shortly. She says they don't have sufficient tech staff to maintain and develop the site, there are moderation issues, and she seems to feel that some of the discussions don't accurately represent Zen to beginners who might join to check out Zen. And she says there doesn't seem to be enough "practice" going on, or practice-oriented discussion.

Wow.
    :(

Personal opinion Comment:

I'm so glad newbuddhist doesn't take itself too seriously....
    It's an internet forum, not The UN council.....

TheEccentriclobsterchelaBrian
    @Lobster -- It turns out there was a discussion of closing up shop a couple of years back, but the idea was shelved after discussion.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    federica said:

Personal opinion Comment:

I'm so glad newbuddhist doesn't take itself too seriously....
    It's an internet forum, not The UN council.....

Yes, this is exactly what I thought! Here, we're free to put up topics that spontaneously come to mind, whether Buddhism-related (General Banter) or not. No micro-management happening. And plenty of beginner-related topics do come up, since this forum is geared toward New Buddhists. I think it's a good mix. :thumbsup:

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

After a wee bit of study i think zen buddhism best suites me. i am aware this path focuses more on meditation and discovering your own truths rathrr than deeply studying the dharma. i have looked at zen living which i call the k.i.s.s style keep it simple stupid lol but is there any advice you can give me for following this path

many thanks

The best thing I ever did when first starting to practice zen was to attend a zen retreat and meet a good zen teacher. But, there weren't any zen centers around where I lived so I saved up my money to take a plane trip across the country to do it. Totally worth it!

Wisdom23lobster
  • is there any advice you can give me for following this path
    Do retreat.
    join forum - temp or not :hiding:
    Get through the first gate
    http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

Use right software
    http://www.zenwalk.org/

:)