Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Possible conflict?

JohnGJohnG Veteran
edited February 2013 in General Banter
I'm an amature screenwriter, with some awards, but not produced; I was wondering if there's a conflict if I write about a Christian topic, sourced from a Muslim source?

Comments

• Only you could answer that. How biased is the source? What is the point your piece is going to be making?
    How do YOU feel about this Christian topic - and why are you covering it from a Muslim POV?
    Why are you asking people in a Buddhist forum about this?
    LOL I could go on.... it's an intriguing question, that's for sure!
  • LOL- Your title is "possible conflict." It sounds like the film may be sort of based on conflict.

If you are Buddhist, you might want to consider Right Speech. That is all I can think of.
    MaryAnne
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    JohnG said:

I'm an amature screenwriter, with some awards, but not produced; I was wondering if there's a conflict if I write about a Christian topic, sourced from a Muslim source?

Better to ask on a Muslim forum. They'll be the ones calling for your execution if you get it wrong.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited February 2013
    JohnG said:

Audience should love conflicts but when you are talking about religious issues, believers may be offended. Some may want your pound of flesh! It would be great though if you could make the world a better place with your work.
  • I'm not planning on desicraion. I found that the whole nativity story is told in the Koran, in it's entirety! From the Birth of Mary, to the escape to Egypt.
  • JohnG said:

I'm not planning on desicraion. I found that the whole nativity story is told in the Koran, in it's entirety! From the Birth of Mary, to the escape to Egypt.

I've read that they consider Jesus to be a messiah, and they expect him to return to bring peace to Earth and rule over mankind at some point...?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

JohnG said:

Better to ask on a Muslim forum. They'll be the ones calling for your execution if you get it wrong.
    Speaking of wrong speech...
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Bunks said:

Hundreds and hundreds of people have been murdered because someone either deliberately or accidentally wrote something that triggered an extremist response from Islamists:
    200 dead in the Muhammad Cartoon riots,
    at least 75 dead in Innocence of the Muslims film riots...
    Salman Rushdie and the Sivas Massacre... need I go on?
    I think it's fair comment to point out that if someone from outside the Muslim tradition is writing or producing anything derived from their scriptures, the writer risks a backlash, and had better check it out on a Muslim forum beforehand.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Bunks said:

Hundreds and hundreds of people have been murdered because someone either deliberately or accidentally wrote something that triggered an extremist response from Islamists:
    200 dead in the Muhammad Cartoon riots,
    at least 75 dead in Innocence of the Muslims film riots...
    Salman Rushdie and the Sivas Massacre... need I go on?
    I think it's fair comment to point out that if someone from outside the Muslim tradition is writing or producing anything derived from their scriptures, the writer risks a backlash, and had better check it out on a Muslim forum beforehand.
    James, you're all wrong, but you are very insensitive.

Basically, in your earlier post, you implied that all the people on a Muslim forum would be calling for an execution. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that is the way it came across. Over the years, living in Northern Virginia and having many Muslim parents at our school, and having an adopted son who is Muslim, not a single one of those Muslims I know would be calling for anyone's execution.

Now, in this more recent post, when you suggest it's a good thing to check out on a Muslim website...well, that's not bad advice.

It's all in the wording, and I would say your first post does fall under the category of wrong speech.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Write kindly. Find out the Sufi opinion of Jesus. Good luck.

http://www.mysticsaint.info/2008/06/jesus-in-eyes-of-sufis.html
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    In the post above I meant to say James is not all wrong.
    Ok, I accept that it was insensitive and pretty wrong speech.
    My apologies to those offended.
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ok, I accept that it was insensitive and pretty wrong speech.
    My apologies to those offended.

No offence taken mate....I could have expanded a little more in my response to you too.
    lobster
  • I am planning, (if this ever gets off the ground to begin with :D) to ask an Imam to look it over for a critique before registering it. Thank you all for the advice. :D