Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Making eye contact

So I've noticed alot of people ive ever talked to don't make a whole lot of eye contact. Umm yea anyone add to this? Please

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Is that why your avatar doesn't give folks a chance to look at much else?

Perhaps you are a scary individual.
    I know when the wife is unhappy, I adopt bear protection policies like backing out of the room while avoiding eye contact.
    Invincible_summerchelaThailandTom
  • The zen center I visited seemed to enjoy my stay there. They invited me back though I havnt been back partly because it's an hour and a half drive and I have no vehicle.

But it's not just me like when people talk to eachother without ever looking at oneanother this always baffled me. I find it hard to concentrate on what the person says unless they address me with Eye conact or touch.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Umm yea...

Maybe your eyes are so deep they're afraid they'll fall in?????
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If you can meet people visually with your eyes, respectfully with neither evasiveness or insistance, they almost always reply in kind.
    That the folks at the Zen center don't, is unusual.

Check out how the teacher treats others. That might give you a clue as to their behavour.
  • Isn't it interesting how non-verbal cues work.
    More often than not it is your problem and not theirs.
    And its completely your bias/preference.

People are themselves. Maybe they're uncomfortable with themselves? Or maybe they don't know how to communicate in an intimate, direct way.

Or maybe we are asking too much from them. Or they could be responding to our non-verbal cues that we are projecting forward. And maybe we're free, peaceful and so kind/loving that people hate, react, and are jealous to such openness. Maybe they cannot see how interpreting an other as such is actually seeing those aspects in themselves and they're not ready for that because they are hurting as well, so instead the y have decide to block all aspects of emotions or any sense of openness in their life.

Maybe they're having a bad day? Bad week? Bad month or year?

We don't know their story.

Or maybe we're the one with the reality tunnel. Maybe we're only seeing a brief aspect of their conditioned appearance shining outward. And maybe we're not able to meet them because of our bias, our preferences.

Take whatever belief/position and make it work for you. Then you can relate with anyone without bias/preference and total openness as they are.
    lobsterThailandTomkarasti
  • how said:

If you can meet people visually with your eyes, respectfully with neither evasiveness or insistance, they almost always reply in kind.
    That the folks at the Zen center don't, is unusual.

Check out how the teacher treats others. That might give you a clue as to their behavour.

No the people at the zen center did for the most part. It was a really pleasant stay.

@taiyaki maybe it's bc a good majority of people ive met like to be pinned to single emotions such as oh it's because I'm a mean person. Thanks!
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    To be honest, if this happens often, it's probably something you are doing. Maybe you have a too-intense gaze or something.
    Do you perhaps have mental health issues, because that is sometimes expressed through the eyes?
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Not to my knowledge and if I do it's been a well kept secret from me. My eyes are green and near the pupil redish that is somewhat of a unique eye color I guess.

It happens often but not just when people talk to me but also when they talk to others that I've noticed. Which is why I've kinda kept to myself for a good portion of my life. people use labels such as this person is a "tool" "fake". Although it could just be this crappy high school town I live in. Havnt done a whole lot of traveling around. I lack in people skills.
  • What I find that helps is to connect the gaze with the heart. This basically softens the gaze. Kind of like watching a little kitten play.

What this allows for is compassionate response. People can be what they are. You can be what you are. But this compassionate gaze responds accordingly. If empathy is needed then empathy is displayed. If nothing needs to be done then nothing is done.

The question or rather the real question hasn't been penetrated.

Why do you desire to communicate with others? <-This is worth exploring and trust me there is no end answer.
    blu3reelobsterFlorian
  • taiyaki said:

What I find that helps is to connect the gaze with the heart. This basically softens the gaze. Kind of like watching a little kitten play.

What this allows for is compassionate response. People can be what they are. You can be what you are. But this compassionate gaze responds accordingly. If empathy is needed then empathy is displayed. If nothing needs to be done then nothing is done.

The question or rather the real question hasn't been penetrated.

Why do you desire to communicate with others? <-This is worth exploring and trust me there is no end answer.</p>

Thank you that is something that needs working on opening up my heart. Well that pretty much cleared it up for me. Just gotta put it into practice now.
    lobster
  • People who are empathic or sensitive, do not always need eye contact to be aware of another. The heart is an organ of perception . . . somehow . . .
    Strangely enough integrity can be faked. Salesmen, snake charmers and charismatic gurus have a habit of staring into your soul/purse.
    I once met an elderly Christian monk, who rarely made eye contact but bristled with kindly, humble awareness.
  • When I read your post, I think I understand what you're saying. Are you simply noticing how much of a hurry everyone seems to be in? I find that after I've had a long meditation (usually on Sundays when I go to Sangha), I am in slow-motion. I almost start to feel like there is something wrong with me when I notice how sped-up everything else seems. I think that many people around us are very much in a hurry-- trying to catch up with their thoughts-- and unable to commit the time to look in someone's eyes when communicating. I was recently one of those people, even though I tried not to be. I didn't know how to slow down and not think about the other 100 things I would be doing/saying/thinking about in the next couple hours, or tomorrow, or next week. It seems that meditation has brought me a fairly long way in a short amount of time.
    blu3ree
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    chela said:

When I read your post, I think I understand what you're saying. Are you simply noticing how much of a hurry everyone seems to be in? I find that after I've had a long meditation (usually on Sundays when I go to Sangha), I am in slow-motion. I almost start to feel like there is something wrong with me when I notice how sped-up everything else seems. I think that many people around us are very much in a hurry-- trying to catch up with their thoughts-- and unable to commit the time to look in someone's eyes when communicating. I was recently one of those people, even though I tried not to be. I didn't know how to slow down and not think about the other 100 things I would be doing/saying/thinking about in the next couple hours, or tomorrow, or next week. It seems that meditation has brought me a fairly long way in a short amount of time.</

There are alot of very "unskillful" things in today's "world".

Yes before mindfulness took root I'd often be overwhelmed with all the thoughts flowing through my mind. wondering why am I having these thoughts this isn't what I want I want to be thinking. Having absolutely no control over mind. Then over the course of the next 10 minutes they would reoccur.

• how said:

Is that why your avatar doesn't give folks a chance to look at much else?

Perhaps you are a scary individual.
    I know when the wife is unhappy, I adopt bear protection policies like backing out of the room while avoiding eye contact.

This made me laugh so hard haha.
    Anyhoo, Op i think like Chela pointed out and like I often do, you have not explained your original post well enough. As I have social anxiety I ether dread eye contact and try my hardest to make a point of pushing myself to do it without looking like I am straining on the loo, or if I am on medication I appear normal or high as a kite with droopy eyes.

In the wild eye contact is often used as a means to establish dominance, staring each other down for example. Even humans get into conflicts over this believe it or not. Gangs have been known to fight and even shoot each other because they looked at somebody in 'the wrong way'.
    chela
  • Yea I tend to explain stuff pretty poorly. Part of my social disorder. Animals don't seem to mind eye contact in fact for the most part it's help invite them to come near me. Then again they were mostly domesticated.
  • blu3ree said:

Yea I tend to explain stuff pretty poorly. Part of my social disorder. Animals don't seem to mind eye contact in fact for the most part it's help invite them to come near me. Then again they were mostly domesticated.

What social disorder do you have, is it social anxiety like I have? How severe is your disorder? If I am not mistaken dogs stare each other down, I have nearly been attacked by Thai street dogs and a lot of what happened was staring and me stomping towards them. But I know in the wild eye contact is quite important in some species.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Well I've been known to kill conversations idk if that is a disorder but yea and I always get anxious around peoPle. In America we dont have free roamin dogs on the streets. Its serious enough to pop up for each person I meet.
  • blu3ree said:

Well I've been known to kill conversations idk if that is a disorder but yea and I always get anxious around peoPle. In America we dont have free roamin dogs on the streets. Its serious enough to pop up for each person I meet.

I'm originally English and am familiar with the US in a lot of respects. I think maybe you should go and see your doctor if you can, you may have a social disorder and if it is causing you suffering daily then it should get sorted. Buddhism can help you with life issues but it cannot solve everything, there is a phrase I remember well. A cellphone is good for calling people and looking at videos and pics, but it can't wash your car. Meditation and Buddhism can be like that with life sometimes. For example, you have a major headache, take paracetamol, logical...

• Eye contact, as well as lack of eye contact, can be interpreted in many different ways. There is no simple rule of thumb when it comes to making, retaining or avoiding eye contact between humans. There are reasons people seek out eye contact, like flirting, alerting others to danger, etc, but it can also be used as a passive-aggressive form of dominance and intimidation.
    Many times overt eye contact between people who may not know each other very well, (or not at all) makes people very uncomfortable. Ask any cop or investigator questioning a suspect.... how the suspect reacts to (and/or uses) eye contact can reveal much about them.

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    To look a stranger directly in the eyes sometimes feels intrusive to me.. but it also depends on the situation of course; so many variables. I often don't look people in the eyes unless I know them, and like them! At work, I try to remember to look at customers in the eye when talking to them so I don't appear rude, but it is not comfortable for me. It feels like exposure! I don't get bothered if someone else struggles to make eye contact with me (I probably wouldn't consciously notice tbh), I think other body languages can make it clear if the individual is shy and for me that is not something I would criticise someone for. But I find it weird when people wear sunglasses indoors.. that I sometimes interpret as someone with something to hide, rather than a shy or nervous disposition, but who knows.. again it comes down to all the variables. Maybe someone has a sore head from too much booze, or they have been crying. I like what @taiyaki has said. Next time you look someone in the eyes @blu3ree smile too.. do you know if you smile whilst also looking into someones eyes? I think smiling makes a big difference.. sounds so simple doesn't it!
  • blu3ree said:

I'm originally English and am familiar with the US in a lot of respects. I think maybe you should go and see your doctor if you can, you may have a social disorder and if it is causing you suffering daily then it should get sorted. Buddhism can help you with life issues but it cannot solve everything, there is a phrase I remember well. A cellphone is good for calling people and looking at videos and pics, but it can't wash your car. Meditation and Buddhism can be like that with life sometimes. For example, you have a major headache, take paracetamol, logical...
    Since I started meditation whenever a headache arises I just remain as calm as possible and eventually I just forget I ever had one.

Ever since I got diagnosed with add and prescribed adderol I will never go back to a doctor for stuff besides getting teeth pulled or for some serious physical health ailment. Buddhism practice gives all the mental necessities one could ask for. What is given in this life is the result of previous karma. I'd rather not live to be 80ish and have to take 8 different pills to sustain the body when it's time to go its time to go. I don't like western approach to medicine it's based with science not compassion. Ayurveda on the other hand is very compassionate to bad there arnt any close by.
  • Dandelion said:

To look a stranger directly in the eyes sometimes feels intrusive to me.. but it also depends on the situation of course; so many variables. I often don't look people in the eyes unless I know them, and like them! At work, I try to remember to look at customers in the eye when talking to them so I don't appear rude, but it is not comfortable for me. It feels like exposure! I don't get bothered if someone else struggles to make eye contact with me (I probably wouldn't consciously notice tbh), I think other body languages can make it clear if the individual is shy and for me that is not something I would criticise someone for. But I find it weird when people wear sunglasses indoors.. that I sometimes interpret as someone with something to hide, rather than a shy or nervous disposition, but who knows.. again it comes down to all the variables. Maybe someone has a sore head from too much booze, or they have been crying. I like what @taiyaki has said. Next time you look someone in the eyes @blu3ree smile too.. do you know if you smile whilst also looking into someones eyes? I think smiling makes a big difference.. sounds so simple doesn't it!

Yea that's another thing I defiantly need work on is smiling. There is usually this bland facial expression that I wear around in between smile and frown. I'm not very good at reading body language ( probly why I've never been in any "serious" (whatever that means)relationships with woman).
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Focus on your own body language. You don't have to read someone else's to make the decision to smile (first). People might be mistaking your eye contact for something it's not if you have the bland facial expression you describe, perhaps making them unwilling to look you in the eye back. Try it as an experiment, maybe.
    ThailandTom
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I live in America and we have free roaming cats, dogs, wolves, bears, you name it, lol.

Some people just have a very difficult time with it. My son is one of them. He's high functioning autistic, and generally you won't even notice he's different, until you get close and have a one on one conversation with him. He's very polite and pleasant, but very one sided. Doesn't use, or read body language well, has a very hard time making eye contact, and if you touch him without warning you're likely to get a severe flinch and a death stare from him. He goes to social skills classes to learn these things, but they never have come naturally and probably never will. So, while he can do it, it is very forced for him and very difficult and very obvious to those he interacts with. However, the people around him have learned how to have contact and conversation with him anyhow. He has no problems communicating, he has a normal job, he does well in school, is in sports and has lots of friends. Who he is, is more important to them than whether he looks at them or touches them.
    DandelionMaryAnne