Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Francis I

13»

Comments

• In honour of the new Godfather of Catholicism, I went to my nearest Catholic Church on Friday. Had to use the private entrance for the devout, three women were doing choir practice, otherwise empty. I enjoyed their practice and found a well worn pious pew to kneel, listen and meditate.

What a great service and provision for Buddhists, looking for somewhere to be still in.
  • vinlyn said:

To be honest, I think there is more promiscuity in the gay community. But I also think that, to some extent, gays have been sort of forced into that lifestyle.

However, I have a tough time seeing any concrete way in which gay civil unions or marriage are going to fundamentally change -- for the worse -- life in America. We heard that about interracial marriages, and I can't see a negative there at all. And, in my view, being able to be in a legal relationship will probably moderate the gay lifestyle over time.

Perhaps you are correct.

• sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited March 2013
    lobster said:

In honour of the new Godfather of Catholicism, I went to my nearest Catholic Church on Friday. Had to use the private entrance for the devout, three women were doing choir practice, otherwise empty. I enjoyed their practice and found a well worn pious pew to kneel, listen and meditate.

What a great service and provision for Buddhists, looking for somewhere to be still in.

I hope you put something in the collection box for the use of the facility.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Not for the life of me would I put money in the Catholic church plate/box. I've gone a couple times at my mother's request. But they don't get a dime from me. No way no how will I give a cent to the church that's spent millions fighting against things that I am for. Nor to our local priest who has an entire collection of Corvettes.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Last week I was in Palestine. The best place I found for meditation was a light and airy catholic church. Even when tourists and pilgrims were there it was vibrant and light. And the Franciscan monks were full of kindness.
    It was an oasis of calm.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    karasti said:

Not for the life of me would I put money in the Catholic church plate/box. I've gone a couple times at my mother's request. But they don't get a dime from me. No way no how will I give a cent to the church that's spent millions fighting against things that I am for. Nor to our local priest who has an entire collection of Corvettes.

Sounds like the main gist of the argument against giving money to beggars in the current Is it ethical to give money to beggars? thread. I must say, having been born and raised Roman Catholic and seeing things as they are today, @karasti, I feel much the same.
    I don't see the church itself as "in need" of money, unlike homesless people. Catholic charities absolutely help people, but I don't think the pope needs big gold rings and a staff to carry around, either. Even in the case of their charities, they are pretty judgmental and I don't support that. They would rather a child go without parents than to go to gay parents, for example. I'm not going to support that. I'd rather give money to a homeless guy who is going to spend it on vodka than to the church. Obviously others feel differently, which is fine of course. I don't hate people who give money to the church or anything, lol. I just prefer to give money to places that support equality for women and gay people. I don't support any organizations that are against equality. I don't support the Boy Scouts anymore, I don't support the Catholic church (never did, I've never been Catholic) and so on. It's too much of a personal issue for me. Why would I give money or support to something I don't believe in?
    Nirvana
    @karasti, I did't mean to bait you, but you really hit the nail on the head for me. Thank you.

I've been on NewBuddhist for over 7 years, and have never ceased following the threads for more than 3 weeks or so. The thing I hate most about the current "setup" is the "awesome" and "insightful" feedback options. I feel that too often they add more than just a touch of cliquishness to the board, so I am like teachers I once had who rarely gave out A's. Anyhow, when I "award" an "awesome" or "insightful" I want you to know that I really mean it.
    lobster
    Not at all, I didn't take it that way. I was just thinking aloud about the topic. I don't pay much attention to the "award" aspect, but I appreciate you saying so. The equal rights thing I have a hard time stepping away from, even when I know better. My sister is gay, my best friend for my whole life, is gay. Several other friends and neighbors are gay or bisexual and when anyone, individual or organization stands up and says they aren't as deserving of rights as someone else is, it just gets in my craw and I have a hard time letting it go. I just don't understand in this day and age, seeing fellow human beings as lesser people and treating them as such. I try to see any difference of opinion from the other point of view, but on this one I have a hard time. I can't put myself in the shoes of someone who can look at my friend, or my sister and say "nope, you don't deserve what I have because you love someone of the same gender and I disapprove."
    I don't mean to keep bumping this thread????

But you gotta see this, any Downton Abbey friends out there:

http://americamagazine.org/content/all-things/news-papal-election-reaches-downton-abbey
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    karasti said:

I don't see the church itself as "in need" of money, unlike homesless people. Catholic charities absolutely help people, but I don't think the pope needs big gold rings and a staff to carry around, either. Even in the case of their charities, they are pretty judgmental and I don't support that. They would rather a child go without parents than to go to gay parents, for example. I'm not going to support that. I'd rather give money to a homeless guy who is going to spend it on vodka than to the church. Obviously others feel differently, which is fine of course. I don't hate people who give money to the church or anything, lol. I just prefer to give money to places that support equality for women and gay people. I don't support any organizations that are against equality. I don't support the Boy Scouts anymore, I don't support the Catholic church (never did, I've never been Catholic) and so on. It's too much of a personal issue for me. Why would I give money or support to something I don't believe in?

I think it's fair not to give to organizations whose values differ from your own.

I think it's also fair for organizations to operate based on their values.

I've worked with Catholic Charities both as a volunteer and indirectly when I was a school administrator. I'm not sure I would say they are judgmental, in terms of who they will work with. You certainly don't have to be Catholic, and no one ever asks. The volunteer work I did was with refugee children, and at the time it was primarily Southeast Asian children...none of whom were Catholic, and there was never any effort whatsoever to seek conversion or even give any basic literature.

I've also been a patient at a Catholic hospital here in Colorado, and again, not one mention was ever made of religion.

Yes, I try to support charities that fit my belief system more, but I don't necessarily discount those that have different views from my own. For example, although I don't agree with the present gay stance of the Boy Scouts, I also try to keep in mind that the organization does a lot of wonderful things for the children who are members.

Citta
    That's true @vinlyn. I had a hard time with the Scouts one because one of my kids was in scouts, but he decided on his own to quit when he was told that his aunt could not lead a meeting on camping because she is a "known lesbian" even though she is probably more qualified than most of the den and pack leaders to teach the skills. They do great things for a lot of kids, for sure. But they could do great things for so many more if they didn't exclude gay kids and/or gay parents from being involved. I feel so bad for the kids who worked for so many years to get Eagle scout or other honors, and are refused them simply because they are gay. What a horrible example to set.

A friend of mine, not Catholic though, her husband goes on missions to Bolivia. They work with an orphanage and have "adopted" 2 of the children there. Not really adopted, but like the program on tv where you send money to help cover the kids expenses. Anyhow, he goes twice a year to Bolivia and part of the deal is that the locals have to attend various church sponsored events and accept Bibles and other things given to them. They can't force anyone of course, but they push Christianity very hard as a "well we are helping you out, so we hope you'll be Christian as a result." I am sure the community is just grateful for the help and their (the church's) attitude doesn't lessen that. But for me, it loses something when it's not just help that is freely given, but given with the side quest of hoping to convert them. That is one of my major problems with all of Christianity. That they have to convert the rest of us to "save us" from ourselves.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    And I'm against (and always have been) trying to convert anyone to any religion.

At our recent HOA party at my place, one couple came and started speaking Thai to me. I was excited to learn they live in Thailand half of each year...until I found out they are Christian missionaries. :-(