Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange sensations/experiences

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Ever since I did my one-day meditation retreat, I've had re-occurring sensations during vipassana meditation only. I practice zazen as well, but have been trying out vipassana and have only had these sensations during sits of the latter:

- An almost increased awareness of my pulse, sometimes to the point of discomfort. It feels almost like my pulse is "pushing" my body. I note it as "feeling" initially, and if it gets more intense, "pushing."
From my understanding, in vipassana one notes the sensation until it weakens or disappears - but when this particular "pushing pulse" sensation occurs, it could take most of my attention for a long duration of time. Is this a problem, or is it just the reality of the sit at that time? I just don't want to spend most of my attention/time/energy on noting something I don't need to be noting!

- Sensation of "lightness" in the body, or even my body "disappearing" since I am so focused on the sensation of breathing. At first it was frightening, now I just accept it. Doesn't last too long. From what I understand, there's no benefit to having the body "disappear," and there's more to be gained from being aware of bodily sensations, so I'd like to hear your strategies for detecting subtleties in the body.

- Sudden wave of bliss that makes me nearly burst out laughing. In fact, during a sit at home, I did burst out laughing. During a group sit, I had to try very hard to stifle it! Not sure what to make of this. It only really lasts a short amount of time, but very strange nonetheless.

Any ideas as to why I might be experiencing these things during vipassana, but not zazen? All the Zen-heads will just tell me to shut up and sit with it, I know. But I'd like to hear some other insights/advice into how to approach these experiences. I'm not trying to be all "Ohhh I had these experiences that must mean I'm at a crazy jhana!" or anything. It's just that I'm new to having these experiences and don't know what to make of it.

Cheers!

Comments

• I did burst out laughing

And why not.
    Happens to me quite often. You might exclaim or cry too. So? Just stuff/karma clearing.
    Such inclinations will settle, when any state of mid arises, with practice it will settle . . .

I found it very difficult to sit with a local lama as no matter what I did he induced a relaxed calm so great I would fall asleep. A few years later he was dozing, whilst I was able to stay awake.

Just arisings . . .
    :wave:
    Invincible_summernenkohai
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Can you go back to your teacher (or any vipassana teacher) and ask, OP?

I think the silence and quietude of meditation is making you more aware of bodily sensations. That explains the pulse-awareness part. The feelings of bliss sound like your kundalini energy gets activated, also a not-uncommon byproduct of meditation. Just let it happen, let the energy pass through your system. If you feel like laughing, allow that. It's a process of your system opening up, eliminating emotional blockages. This is a good thing.
    Invincible_summerMaryAnne
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Dakini - My Zen teacher just tells me to sit with it, which I suppose is not bad advice, but I guess I want/hope for something more concrete than that especially since I don't have these experiences during zazen but I do during vipassana.

I don't have a vipassana teacher I can ask, unfortunately.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I don't know enough about the different meditation techniques to be able to explain why one has this effect, but the other doesn't. I might suggest, though, that if you feel a pulse, or other bodily sensations, not to dwell on them. Note them, and come back to the breath, or to your visualization, or whatever the specific practice entails. If laughing wants to happen, don't suppress it. Unless you're in a zendo full of meditators, I guess. If your experience is incompatible with zen, maybe for now you should seek a different tradition, while this energy completes its course, working through your system.
    Invincible_summer
  • I just don't want to spend most of my attention/time/energy on noting something I don't need to be noting!
    Try and note what it is that is noting or not wanting to note . . .
    Say hello to it. Name it.