Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Metta?

from the daka formally known as ThailandTom:
This is going to be derailing this thread here a bit so sorry in advance. @lobster doesn't all phenomena come into being due to causation, even the type of compassion you speak of? Yes it is not the type of love you hear people talking about that is riddled with attachment, but surly it has a cause to come into being and a cause to cease?
My vehicle when it runs of gas, considers the MettaRay or Maitreya as a primary motivator.
What is Metta? Unconditional love? In other word the equivalent of 'Cod is Love' in other religions?
It is stronger than compassion, which a mother might have for another's child.
It is formless, so is the tantric root buddhas, the 'wisdom that passeth all understanding'. It is not an arising. It is arisen.
Its cause is awakening but once caused, it has no start, no finish, no limits, no karma, no former, no after, no sleeping, no awaking.
Does metta matter? You bet your Buddha collection.

:clap:
riverflowLucy_Begood

Comments

• chelachela Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for this thought-provoking thread. For someone like me, who has lots of barriers, I am finding that it is beneficial to read and practice love and compassion (Metta) daily just to get things moving towards healing and transformation.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for texts or other forms of Metta education? Now that I have a more solid understanding of the Buddha's basic teachings (I think I have graduated Kindergarten), I want to make more of a commitment to Metta practice within the broader scope of my practice. While I do try to spend time thinking about compassion and helping others the best I can, I think it would be best for me to have a tangible form of Metta education to help me focus on it, on and off the cushion.
  • @chela Have you studied the Metta Sutta yet? Here's a good translation.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html
    chela
  • chela said:

Thank you for this thought-provoking thread. For someone like me, who has lots of barriers, I am finding that it is beneficial to read and practice love and compassion (Metta) daily just to get things moving towards healing and transformation.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for texts or other forms of Metta education? Now that I have a more solid understanding of the Buddha's basic teachings (I think I have graduated Kindergarten), I want to make more of a commitment to Metta practice within the broader scope of my practice. While I do try to spend time thinking about compassion and helping others the best I can, I think it would be best for me to have a tangible form of Metta education to help me focus on it, on and off the cushion.

Sharon Salsburg
    chela
  • @chela - This is what seems to be working for me, from my own experience:

(1) The last part of my zazen routine involves doing a very simple four-line metta chant followed by repeating the 'Om Mani Padme Hum' mantra (each repetition I try to focus on various people I know are going through some kind of suffering, regardless of who they are). I don't suppose that's anything new for you though!

(2) Smile -- not necessarily a full-blown smile full of teeth, but just a subtle relaxation of the muscles around the cheeks and temples. The body and emotions and mind are not separate entities but one, and emotions are very much tied to the body (this is just as true of anger, which tenses up the body in a particular way). The smile does not have to be obvious at all-- it is more like being on the verge of a smile. It helps to break (or brake!) any kind of 'negative momentum' you might have building up.

(3) From only two weeks of recent experience, I can see how participating in a sangha makes a huge difference. When you are around others who are at least aiming for positive feelings which make Buddhist practice easier, it is contagious. It is a place to practice with others with mindfulness...

(4) ...which in turn helps even more in the workplace, where people do not deliberately cultivate maitri. It is an opportunity to practice serving others (co-workers or customers).

(5) I have recently created a sound file of a bell followed by 15 minutes of silence which I play on the computer on repeat. This is essentially how it is set up at Magnolia Grove. When the bell rings out, I stop whatever I am doing to breathe mindfully. I think of it almost like a mental speedbump to slow things down and pay attention. Whatever feelings might be accompanying my thoughts at the moment are given a chance to re-calibrate so to speak, and short circuit any potential 'non-maitri' sorts of feelings. I am soooo glad I started doing this!

(6) I have started associating my breathing like this sometimes: inhalation = gratitude, exhalation = generosity. I am sure I've read something like this before somewhere... Pema Chodron maybe? But what got me to doing this recently is thinking about how gratitude and generosity are two sides of the same coin, and are really the same thing when understood nondualistically. You can't have generosity without gratitude and vice versa. The greater a sense of gratitude, the greater a sense of generosity. It seems to have been of some help for me this week. I'll have to see how things go further down the track with that.

Something else I have discovered about myself: cultivating metta makes karuna easier to come about. And once the cycle gets going, a kind of metta momentum builds up. I suppose it isn't too different than learning any new skill--the more you work at it, the easier it becomes, and it is harder for that momentum to be lost once it gets up to speed. (This is not to say I have not had my bad moments at work the past couple weeks, but I recover from such moments a little more easily too).
    Jeffreylobsterchela
  • Something I recently wrote in my journal, connecting some dots for myself (pardon the clumsy jargon, it is how I usually write in my journal!):
    In true generosity and gratitude which has no expectations, ontological seamlessness is realised. The spirit of giving and of thankfulness are both mindful doorways to understanding emptiness.

In emptiness, the gratitude that one expresses is not restricted to only the one giving but is without spatio-temporal boundaries. This is true of generosity as well. One does not only give to an individual but is without spatio-temporal boundaries.

Without the restrictions of reification, the gratitude or generosity one offers is boundless and universal.
    The 'dots' in this case being gratitude, generosity (compassion), and emptiness. I think this is sort of what the Diamond Sutra is getting at. These aren't different doctrines but different ways of looking at the same thing, so to speak--they all hinge on one another.
    Jeffreychela
  • And once the cycle gets going, a kind of metta momentum builds up
    . . . and that is why the sangha is one of three jewels . . .
    People are not encouraged to find good company to convert them but to resonate with a community centered around good will. Go join a charity if you prefer . . .

The worldly life is hard for the non 'loved up'. You need to be practically a Buddha to cope with it . . . .

Sangye Cho dang Tsok kyi chog nam la
    Jang Chub bar du dag gi jin gyat su chi
    Dag gi jin so yi pe tsog nam ki
    Dro la pen Chir Sangye drub par shok (probably Bulgarian)

Until I am enlightened,
    I go for refuge to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
    Through the virtue I create by practising giving and the other perfections,
    may I become a Buddha to benefit all sentient beings.

riverflow
  • Here's a question for you @lobster, I am curious of your answer. It is something spoken about in a Buddhist book I am reading and I am being sincere, what is what?
  • what is what?
    . . . a good question
    Mostly what is not what.
    Formless questioning, where we have a question but not an answer is very useful.
    For example what is metta without form? You can not think of such a thing?

Does it 'exist'?
    You bet your what not . . .

Yours sincerely
    Crusty S Lobster (Buddha in training)
  • Metta is metta.
    lol.