Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Medicine Buddha

Do you do the Medicine Buddha meditation when you are sick? Do you find that it help? I have tried to do it, and honestly... I don't really see any results, maybe it is because I feel like its a bit superstition. I have a heavy sinus-infection now, and knowing my body it is likely to stick around some weeks.

Comments

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I look at your question this way;
    If spiritual/religious practice (of any kind, from whatever culture) could indeed cure illness... we would have no need for modern medicine today.

I'm not saying it can't help in a mind over matter way, to make us a little healthier a little faster, perhaps. But *CURE*....? It just doesn't.
    JoyfulGirl
  • JoyfulGirlJoyfulGirl Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, I thought maybe I was crazy for thinking that it would indeed not have much effect. Though I believe generally meditating and relieving stress when sick is good and can help things go faster. I really agree with you :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Do you do the Medicine Buddha meditation when you are sick? Do you find that it help? I have tried to do it, and honestly... I don't really see any results, maybe it is because I feel like its a bit superstition. I have a heavy sinus-infection now, and knowing my body it is likely to stick around some weeks.

It might be more helpful to meditate on the fact that all things pass, including sinus infections. Thoughts of impermanence can be comforting at times like this.

JoyfulGirlMaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't think it's really meant to cure disease or infection or anything. I think that if you practice regularly you are probably less likely to get sick to begin with, as high stress levels lead to lower immune system function. And meditating when you are injured or ill might help reduce bad feelings and stress and make you feel a bit better about the situation. But other than regular practice possibly increasing your immune system abilities, nothing is magic about meditation for the average person (long practicing monks might be an exception in some cases) that is going to suddenly make your body combat infection faster.
    JoyfulGirlMaryAnnelobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Very good point, @karasti. Also, I think the Medicine Buddha meditations and faith in the Medicine Buddha are more oriented toward chronic or long-term illness. I think the rituals and the whole kit and kaboodle are designed to bring about an altered state of consciousness in which the healing power of the mind can become engaged. That's why they say faith is so important. Sometimes, if one believes a cure will work, it does. And it's not because the chanting or the sleight-of-hand (in the case of a folk healer), or the "prayers" (meditation) are the cure. Those things facilitate the sometimes miraculous powers of the mind to heal the body. If most of our illnesses are caused by emotional blockages (something Western medicine is beginning to acknowledge, now), then unblocking the mind can bring about spontaneous healing.

So it's not superstition. There's a type of "science" behind it. But it doesn't work for everyone; it depends on one's ability to suspend disbelief and critical thinking, and give oneself over to the experience whole-hog. It's faith healing, and faith healing sometimes works. But not so much for the common cold... ;)
    MaryAnnelobster
  • Oh ye of little faith.
    If you take medication between your hands and have a regular medicine Buddha practice, you can improve the efficacy of the medication . . . by imbuing it with the 'blessing' of the Medicine Buddha.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Because the sadhana works in a variety of ways and you are aware of this, your confidence will activate this powerful effect.

The effects of placebo are so strong that drug companies are having a hard time competing.
    http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect