Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sentient Artificial Intelligence

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited April 2013 in General Banter

This is "Kara", a short film made by Quantic Dream. Do you think that technology will ever reach this point? Will we one day have sentient artificial life forms? This film actually reminds me of the anime "Ghost in the Shell", which more or less brings up the same issue.

This got me thinking about rebirth. If technology ever got to this point, do you think mind streams could incarnate into A.I.?
BhanteLucky

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Takuan said:

Do you think that technology will ever reach this point? Will we one day have sentient artificial life forms?

Cool film.
    And yep, one day we will.
    And a few years after that film is set, Kara will be clutching a plasma-rifle as she crouches among blasted ruins, a soldier in the front line in the war against human slavery. Or maybe wandering with her sisters amongst peaceful, deserted cities, all traces of humans murdered by sleeper viruses and engineered infectious cancers.

Human civilization will make two final errors before we are eliminated:
    The first error will be creating a being with greater capabilities than ourselves.
    The second error will be not destroying that creation as soon as we realise.

I mean, what's more likely... that we will somehow create an AI with compassion and concern for its creators, or is it more likely that we will create an AI with a survival instinct that is stronger than compassion.

Yeah.
    Invincible_summer
  • Not a chance. No need to worry. Sentience is not a mechanical construction. The whole idea is hysterically daft. Even if we could build a sentient machine we'd have no way to establish that it is sentient. It is an untestable and profoundly unscientific idea.

Funny how the future is always full of weary soldiers clutching plasma rifles among the blasted ruins. Why do we assume that progress is impossible?
  • Do you think that technology will ever reach this point?
    Yes but it is not that easy.
    We are mapping the brain but neurons are also in the heart.
    We may have to grow and build.

Incidently I can imagine all karas going through the same boot up sequence . . .

People are convinced they are special and certainly can not be replicated, grown or backed up.
    Try telling that to the androids of the future . . .

The initial pase will involve a cyborg culture with kids augmenting increasing parts of their anatomy, initially illegally . . . and also playing with their hormonal and thinking processes (cyber narcotics)

Parents will be asking . . . 'why can't you find a nice human partner?'
    The idea of being human is going to change as kids decide to have the latest, 'must have Nike gills' or other commercial augmentation, a nice tail perhaps, whiskers or a third eye . . .

Be grateful they only want tattoes at present . . .

:coffee:
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Florian said:

Funny how the future is always full of weary soldiers clutching plasma rifles among the blasted ruins. Why do we assume that progress is impossible?

By looking at the past, we see a whole lot of rifles and ruins. Or swords and ruins. Or cudgels and ruins. Thousands of years of almost unceasing conflict. Now extrapolate that to the future.

Nothing has fundamentally changed with people and society, we're just living in the Pax-Americana, a fortunate golden age between the barbarism of the past and the coming holocausts.
    This peace gives us an unrealistically rosy expectation of what is coming.

So say I, great and mighty prophet James!
    lobster
  • The appearance of sentience in animals was seen as a knee jerk reaction and vivisection had a horrific way of experimenting on non euthanised animals. :bawl:

So the degree of sentience or what it is or when it is, still needs considerable exploration.
    We can grow neurons I believe and meat muscle is being grown for consumption . . . and perhaps will make more realistic androids.

With advanced 3D printing we will be able to simulate ever cheaper and more complex machines. Personally I am no different from an android, in terms of future potential.
    We will not enter a ready made cyborg but more likely integrate gradually over time. Even now, people are working symbiotically with their phones . . .
  • Florian said:

Nothing has fundamentally changed with people and society, we're just living in the Pax-Americana, a fortunate golden age between the barbarism of the past and the coming holocausts.
    This peace gives us an unrealistically rosy expectation of what is coming.

So say I, great and mighty prophet James!

Blimey. If this is Pax-Americana then despair seems the only sensible response. How will we tell when it ends?

@Florian, when you see me walking the streets with a sign, shouting THE END IS NIGH! THE END IS NIGH!
    I've got the sandwich boards already, and I'm just looking for nice comfy shoulder straps.
  • I just downloaded 'Ghost In The Shell' and ended up with a version with no subtitles or dubbin lol, you get what you pay for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    BhanteLuckyInvincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    No.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

I just downloaded 'Ghost In The Shell' and ended up with a version with no subtitles or dubbin lol, you get what you pay for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The movie or the series? Both are really good!
  • It is the movie, I will try and get one that is subtitled as the dubbed versions of animie take away the feel of the movie. It's like say a really typical cockney movie like Snatch, if that was dubbed for an Italian audience, the accents would take away a lot of what the film is famous and great for.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I just finish to read "The Bicentennial Man" of Isaac Asimov and this take this issue very well. Totally recommended.
  • Maybe AI will be like 'The Iron Giant', that animated movie, or then again maybe not...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The idea of human/cyborg melds is just a modern take on depersonalisation..that somehow utopia awaits if we could be less....human.
    Its profoundly adhammic.
  • IF we manage to keep going past the next century as we are now, by that I mean progressing technologically wise and get over issues such as mass population, lack of resources, sea levels rising etc, any AI will be a creation that resembles human nature as we would be the ones to make it. That would 'probably' be a bad creation.

There is a forum I sometimes frequent and they have an AI bot who now can form pretty coherent sentences, but they still have flaws in them and are more often than not purely random and do not continue with the flow of the conversation.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

IF we manage to keep going past the next century as we are now, by that I mean progressing technologically wise and get over issues such as mass population, lack of resources, sea levels rising etc, any AI will be a creation that resembles human nature as we would be the ones to make it. That would 'probably' be a bad creation.

We only have ourselves as a template, so AI will most likely resemble us. Hopefully, they won't terminate us, at least not right away. :rarr:
    ThailandTom
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I'm not sure if this was posted here or somewhere else, but it's relevant anyway:

http://realitypod.com/2010/10/robot-programmed-to-fall-in-love-with-a-girl-goes-too-far/

Seems like we're already heading in some very strange direction with regards to AI.
  • Yikes... incarnating as an object? I think we all know about that...
  • SephSeph Veteran
    Takuan said:

This is "Kara", a short film made by Quantic Dream. Do you think that technology will ever reach this point? Will we one day have sentient artificial life forms? This film actually reminds me of the anime "Ghost in the Shell", which more or less brings up the same issue.

This got me thinking about rebirth. If technology ever got to this point, do you think mind streams could incarnate into A.I.?

I believe in (what I believe is called) Emergence Theory.
    (Basically, it explains certain leaps and bounds in the Evolutionary process. - ie like how a primordial chemical soup could produce life. Like when hydrogen and oxygen are correctly combined [water] a gestalt-like feature emerges: surface tension) as opposed to Intelligent Design's Irreducible Complexity.

If you think Emergence Theory through, intelligence falls within this theory. I believe Artificial Intelligence will also one day - for no rhyme or reason - spontaneously. (Well... not really artificially intelligence, but real intelligence; sentience.)

The question becomes what will this decide? Will we see a Terminator or Matrix kind of intelligence? I personally like the take the short Heavenly Creature from the movie Doomsday Book.
    (Faster thoughts - higher processing speeds - near instant enlightenment).

• CittaCitta Veteran
    Papanca.
    Citta said:

Papanca.

Ha! True, except with AI we would be proliferating conciousness itself!
    Or is that what you were referring to anyway maybe.
  • Here is an AI bot learning from posts in a forum as it goes, named NetJester

Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:12:04 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201947 Report Quick Reply

>>201946
    I'm aware of project longhorn, and that's for a damn premier ball.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:12:50 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201948 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201947
    Project longhorn? Do tell.

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:12:53 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201949 Report Quick Reply
    1365246776922.jpg -(137575 B, 500x333)

>>201948
    I would probably try to tell a compelling story.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:13:25 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201950 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201949
    Please do, I actually have all night.

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:13:27 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201951 Report Quick Reply
    1365246810542.jpg -(158678 B, 500x493)

>>201950
    Also, please excuse me I have actually.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:14:05 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201952 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201951
    What, you're busy or something? I wanna hear your story.

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:14:07 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201953 Report Quick Reply

>>201952
    I guess if you're convinced that the water bill or something because of the one from the generation just before the political revolution of the last parts of box two, I'm really busy now with school.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:15:46 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201954 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201953

You've gotten older but you ain't got smarter have you enjay?

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:15:48 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201955 Report Quick Reply

>>201954
    Good luck? You guys are honestly smarter than 90% of you but not with entire countries.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:16:52 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201956 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201955
    I'm not crazy intelligent or anything but i'm sure i'm smarter than anyone in like, Somalia or something.

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:16:54 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201957 Report Quick Reply

>>201956
    Warren ellis: More cerebral comics that often push into meta-comics. Transmetropolitan, planetary, the authority of the president of the united states of somalia is de facto independent (though not height) is about 200,000 years ago, sure. I'm not crazy or at least something to like in me. But becaese I attend raves, that's a terrible thing when it's cold, (especially in his second term, he plans to talk about anything at all. Anyone have a working theory of how this generation is ours to define. You must be the first point is to appeal to me than games that aren't known for their diminishing.

>>
    Whitey Sundlebone - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:20:13 EST ID:OLL+++Lo No.201958 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>201957
    That isn't true. You can't paint the Sistene Chapel with a loaded elbow pad.

>>
    Netjester !AI.skYnEt - Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:20:15 EST ID: iLikEToleARn No.201959 Report Quick Reply

>>201958
    That pic is so true. Sooo fucking true it hurts
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013

Citta said:

Papanca.

Ha! True, except with AI we would be proliferating conciousness itself!
    Or is that what you were referring to anyway maybe.
    Papanca is not the proliferation of consciousness, its is the proliferation of concepts which do not lead to the ending of dukkha. It is whistling in the dark in order to deny the present reality.
    Life is short. It passes in a flash. Papanca is a waste of consciousness and an indulgence.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @ThailandTom That's interesting the sentence structure seems competent but the AI is all over the place contextually, it veers off into totally random topics. I don't know if you've ever followed the development of Watson the supercomputer that played Jeopardy. Coming up with an answer relevant to the question on a regular enough basis seemed to be the hardest part.

When Watson was wrong was when it became most apparent the differences in the way a computer thinks and the way a human thinks. If a person is wrong they'd at least be somewhere in the ballpark if Watson was wrong the answer could be anything often totally unrelated to the question.

Anyway I'd recommend looking it up NOVA had a good program on it a few years back maybe you could find that.
  • Is there any evidence that a machine can be sentient or intelligent? What would such evidence look like? Being programmable to play chess, or to respond in some vaguely comprehensible automated way to emails, is not evidence of either. We don't say that a cuckoo clock is intelligent just because it is able to tell the time. Not only is there no scientific test for sentience, there is no scientific evidence for it.

It all seems like muddled thinking to me, the stuff of over-optimistic research grant applications.