Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

monkey mind

mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
edited April 2013 in Meditation
Why oh why is it so stinking difficult for me to remain mindful? It is so obvious that being mindful is the way to be. That letting go of the self and truly being awed and amazed by the true reality around us is the best. So, why do I constantly drift back into "human" mode, getting frustrated with idiotic things, work issues, worried about what others think, dithering over things I cannot control, when my Buddha nature is right there for the taking?????
I know....practice, practice, practice.......
Thanks for listening, my virtual sangha :)
DaltheJigsaw

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Because you are attached to something!
  • @federica What you said just reminded me of those Zen stories of how a monk was enlightened when a master twisted his nose or knocked him down. Thank you. I guess I couldnt see the forest because all the trees were in the way.
  • mfranzdorfmfranzdorf Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @Sabre Yes, I suppose you are right. But attached to what, being unskillfull? Maybe I am attached to trying to be mindfull?
    Both are equally problematic......
  • Why oh why is it so stinking difficult for me to remain mindful? It is so obvious that being mindful is the way to be. That letting go of the self and truly being awed and amazed by the true reality around us is the best. So, why do I constantly drift back into "human" mode, getting frustrated with idiotic things, work issues, worried about what others think, dithering over things I cannot control, when my Buddha nature is right there for the taking?????

Because this mind is not yours. If it were, things would be easy peachy. Everyone would be instantly enlightened without any effort.
    "Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

Now during this utterance, the hearts of the bhikkhus of the group of five were liberated from taints through clinging no more.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html
    Lucy_BegoodchelamfranzdorfInvincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2013
    relax. practice with patience without getting attached to any idea, just being in the present moment. i am becoming a hypocrite by saying this, as i am having the same problem of not having mindfulness - but somehow it seems to me it is easy to give advice to others, than to do it by myself. but whatever i have read theoretically, based on my theoretical understanding, i think - any spiritual practice needs patience, persistence, tolerance, restrain, non-attachment and above all let go.
    Lucy_Begoodmfranzdorflobster
  • @pegenbara @misecmisc1 Thank you. All of this insight has helped me.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    To add to what @pegembara said:

"We only rent this house - we don't own it. If we think it does belong to us, we will suffer when we have to leave it." -- Ajahn Chah
    riverflowhowmfranzdorf
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    That letting go of the self and truly being awed and amazed by the true reality around us is the best.
    No, no . . . you already are the self (monkey minded perhaps)
    Now the amazing awe as being real, unreal or different to our experience can be . . . acceptable . . .

:clap:
  • To add to what @pegembara said:

"We only rent this house - we don't own it. If we think it does belong to us, we will suffer when we have to leave it." -- Ajahn Chah

This house has no owner. There is no one to own anything!

Invincible_summer
  • Why oh why is it so stinking difficult for me to remain mindful? It is so obvious that being mindful is the way to be. That letting go of the self and truly being awed and amazed by the true reality around us is the best. So, why do I constantly drift back into "human" mode, getting frustrated with idiotic things, work issues, worried about what others think, dithering over things I cannot control, when my Buddha nature is right there for the taking?????

That's because you trying too hard. Just go with the flow of life.
  • Why oh why is it so stinking difficult for me to remain mindful?

How is this for a metaphor?

Chinese handcuffs.
    Invincible_summermfranzdorf
  • @riverflow point taken!