Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

VIDEO: Some of the major texts found within Theravada Buddhist tradition

edited April 2013 in Arts & Writings
Hey everyone, Im not sure if this will actually post as a video or the link, because I have not been on here for a while and forgot how lol. But this is one of MY VIDEOS !!!!!

Sorry, im just happy about my little channel and have not had many hits yet so all my vids will be buddhist related, but I need a reason to keep doing them so....Please comment and subscribe and share with your other Buddhist friends. I would really appreciate it!!

peace and happiness.

Comments

• Awesome it worked :) Dont forget to go to my channel for part 2 and other vids...I just started doing these and want to share with as many people as I can
  • Went to your 'not Buddha' vid
    I have seen the fat Buddha in a traditional Theravadin monastery, in the standing hands to sky posture.
    For me they are manifestations of the emptiness of form. Buddhas.

Are you a Buddhist fundamentalist? Hope that is not unkind?

What are your plans for future vids? Thanks for sharing.
    :wave:
  • I suppose Im a "mixed breed" buddhist?? lol... for future videos I plan on doing more basic topics like 4 noble truths, 8 fold path, the 5 precepts, and read a few suttas and things of that nature. I want to try and keep it at a "buddhism 101" level, as much as possible, but I tend to ramble a bit and find it hard to concentrate because im such a shy person ^_^ But if I get a lot of views and subscribers that will give me motivation to post more.
    Thank you so much for watching!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I like what you're doing, a couple things I notice that I think would make your videos better is to try to do something to steady the camera a little better and try to remove some of the ums and other pregnant pauses, maybe have a presentation written beforehand.

Like I said I like the essential message I just think a little polish in the presentation would help. :thumbsup:
    kashi
  • absolutely i agree lol i need to buy a tripod of sorts for my phone and I def need to write a presentation down with some notes. I get very caught up if im talking about one thing my mind is thinking how that connects to something else, and I get pulled in another direction. I apologise for all my annoying "ums". They annoy the heck out of me to be honest :)
    person
  • jlljll Veteran
    lobster, the fat buddha is not found in theravada.

it is commonly found in east asia as a symbol of
    happiness n wealth.
    lobster said:

Went to your 'not Buddha' vid
    I have seen the fat Buddha in a traditional Theravadin monastery, in the standing hands to sky posture.
    For me they are manifestations of the emptiness of form. Buddhas.

Are you a Buddhist fundamentalist? Hope that is not unkind?

What are your plans for future vids? Thanks for sharing.
    :wave:

• jlljll Veteran
    you have a very good voice.
    keep up the good work.
    if you wish to volunteer to read other
    buddhist book, let me know. l
  • I'm open to read any books on buddhism. I also have a few sutras such as the heart suttra, the lotus suttra, diamond and so forth.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    jll said:

lobster, the fat buddha is not found in theravada.

it is commonly found in east asia as a symbol of
    happiness n wealth.

Well, not quite. It is somewhat often found in Thai Theravada temples, although he is not considered a Buddha, but rather a monk who was so handsome that women would not leave him alone, so he ate himself fat to take away their tempations.

• lobster, the fat buddha is not found in theravada.
    Tell it to the Theravadins at Amravarti. Maybe they have it as a private joke? I have heard the lucky Buddha is a Taoist deity, the Maitriya etc.
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    The fat Buddha is the calico bag arhat, one of the 18 in the Mahayana.
    Hes supposed to represent the Maitreya Buddha, not a Taoist figure for sure.
    Yup, the next ultimate guru for all aspiring Buddhists.
  • In the video I said historically not the Buddha meaning not the founder of buddhism aka Gotama