Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

3 things you're supposed to do with your thoughts while meditating

I was listening to radio buddha recently when one of the programs they had talked about the 3 things you're supposed to do with thoughts that come up while mediating. I was in bed and fell asleep within a minute or 2 of hearing it. So I'm asking now, does anyone know what these 3 things are?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    1: Don't even think of falling asleep.....
    riverflowlobsterSillyPuttyIndigoBlueSky9
  • See the "Wandering Thoughts" section on p. 43 of Each and Every Breath. Five things to do for the price of three!
    Invincible_summer
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    you can check sutta mn-20, "The Relaxation of Thoughts".
    If its a distracting thought at first u notice its there, u let it go, relax and you move to a subject where u have nice thoughts (your object of meditation or whatever):).

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    notice the thought as a thought
    welcome the thought
    notice the space of mind holding the thought as you return to your breath
  • 1. Be aware of their appearance.
    2. To not be engaged in those thoughts
    3. Be aware when they have disappeared.
    JeffreyStraight_Man