Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

FOOD preferences?

Good old Asian steamed white rice and veggies?

Or some...

Good old Indian lentils&chic peas, with aloo and basmati rice?

SillyPuttyriverflowInvincible_summerDaltheJigsawWisdom23

Comments

• SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Mmmmm... anything vegan is music to my ears! Or should I say, tasteful to my tastebuds! :D Both options sound great. Love Asian cuisine of all varieties. I have a legume sensitivity, so things like soy, lentils, peanuts, chickpeas, alfalfa, carob, etc. I have to eat very sparingly, otherwise I have weird reactions. So Indian cuisine is very good, but has a lot of the things I have issues with.

Lately my favorite weird thing to eat is almonds, olives (any kind), and prunes. It sounds gross, but when you take a couple almonds, an olive, and a bite of a prune all at once, it's really a delicious salty and sweet combination and very filling.
    Invincible_summer
  • I can feel you on the sweet combination theory, hehe - and yes, anything vegan is definitely taste bud heaven. No non natural man made condiments needed, to mask natural flavors from the earth. Unlike trying to mask the taste of blood and cooked flesh. Yikes.

Some days I'm ready for Asian, some days I'm ready for Indian. And some days, I;m ready to fast on tea. Life really is too good.
    SillyPuttyriverflowInvincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    thai chicken with cashew nut
    Invincible_summerBhanteLucky
  • vinlyn said:

thai chicken with cashew nut

at one point in my life, i used to love this dish.
    enjoy vinlyn :)
    vinlyn
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @MontrealMonk - I hate to split hairs, but Indians are Asians. :p

Sorry for being a stickler for labels.

One of my all-time favourite dishes that I could probably never get sick of isnasi lemak. Rice, salty peanuts, fried fish, chili paste, fried egg. Mmmmmm...
    My gf's family (Mauritian) also eats gato pima every once in a while - very tasty. It's basically chickpea flour and spices fried up in a ball. I think Indians call it masala vada. I don't get to eat either often though.

As for my preferences that I eat on a more regular basis - I could probably subsist on mangoes and/or cheese (brie, gouda, and Oka are my favourites) with a hunk of crusty French bread.

• Im the local pancake king
    riverflowInvincible_summerLucy_Begood

@MontrealMonk - I hate to split hairs, but Indians are Asians. :p

My adopted son from Pakistan would often get into a friendly debate about whether Pakistanis were Asian. I knew they were, of course, but I tended to look at it from cultural ties as much as location. Besides, Asians aren't hairy. Right? :D
    Invincible_summerriverflowSillyPuttyChe
  • @MontrealMonk - I hate to split hairs, but Indians are Asians. :p

I was thinking the same thing, but the vernacular in most eateries/grocery stores around where I live, at least, tend to separate "Indian" cuisine from "Asian" cuisine. I never understood it myself.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    anything organic non gmo will satisfy me. if its a plant ill give it a try.
    SillyPutty
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Curry, of all sorts (except tofu) the hotter, the better
    Kale/grenny smith apple smoothies
    Purple cows
    I love, love lasagna, but I pretty strictly limit my grain intake, so I only eat it once a year usually
    Fresh picked berries right off the plant
    Garden carrots
    Steam artichokes
    Noosa yogurt
    Invincible_summer
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I'm being honest here, so:

Fish and chips.
    Pizza.
    Ice Cream.
    Nachos.
    A gourmet burger from one of them fancy expensive burger places.
    Cocoa Krispies / Coco Pops with milk.

Invincible_summer
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I like spicy food and Ramen.
    Invincible_summer

Do you mean the Ramen noddles in the plastic cellophane?

edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

Do you mean the Ramen noddles in the plastic cellophane?

Actually I prefer making it myself and in a plate. :)
    Ah, ok...probably not quite the salt level of the packages.
    edited May 2013
    vinlyn said:

Ah, ok...probably not quite the salt level of the packages.

Yep, the ones that comes in that paper cups have a lot of sodium and actually are considered fast food to someones because they are fried before are dehydrated.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

Yep, the ones that comes in that paper cups have a lot of sodium and actually are considered fast food to someones because they are fried before are dehydrated.

Yes, I take them hiking because they have so many calories per dry weight. Much much more than pasta, rice, etc.
    Ridiculously unhealthy in daily life, but in the mountains they are exactly what you need.
    Invincible_summer
  • CheChe Veteran
    My partner makes the most amazing lentil pies and vege lasagne and I make tasty Thai Tofu burgers (down under style with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, beatroot and lashings of mayo and cracked pepper) I love Thai black sticky rice and egg custard for desert.
    Invincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    since i am from india, so obviously i like spicy foods. some of my favourites are -

north indian dishes -
    chola bhatura
    rice with toor daal with aloo ka chokha (meshed potato with a little bit of salt) - simple plain food but it tastes nice to me
    makke ki roti (chapati made of flour of maize) with sarson ka saag (dish of mustard plant leaves)

in fast food - chat, phulki, bhelpuri.

south indian dishes-
    idly
    vada-sambhar
    various types of dosa

don't know if any of the above dishes are healthy or not, but from taste perspective, they are delicious.
    Invincible_summerSillyPutty
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @misecmisc1 - Dosa are so good! Do you have any Saravaana Bhavan where you live? There's a location here about 20 mins' bus ride from my house. Awesome South Indian food (to me anyway).

I also have to add to my list: roti prata and teh tarik!

I'm such a glutton... can't stop thinking about food. :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013

@misecmisc1 - Dosa are so good! Do you have any Saravaana Bhavan where you live? There's a location here about 20 mins' bus ride from my house. Awesome South Indian food (to me anyway).

@Invincible_summer: i think i do not have any Saravaana Bhavan at my native city. but what is Saravaana Bhavan? i don't think i have heard about this Saravaana Bhavan.

BTW, which city you are based at? my native city is in North India, but it is one of the cities, which is considered very religious in India.

we do have restaurants which serve South Indian food in our city. my wife, though she is also natively from my city, but she prepares South Indian food also, along with North Indian food, so we have dosas at my house itself. :)

some dishes which i also like -
    paneer butter masala with naan (a type of chapati)
    baigan ka bharta (a dish made by meshing bringal after heating it and removing its cover, then adding onion, garlic to it) - a side-dish along with main course.
    Invincible_summer

@misecmisc1 - Dosa are so good!

Dosa means Hate in Pali language. Odd but true.
    Invincible_summer
    @misecmisc1 - I'm in Vancouver, Canada!

Saravanaa Bhavan is a restaurant chain, but on second thought I'm not sure if people in India would go to it, given that there are probably many other places to get the same food. it's quite popular with the S Asian community here though.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Traditional British food such as a Roast, Shepards/Cottage Pie Toad in the whole etc I also love a Mexican, Indian or Nepalese.