Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attending a Krishna meditation service.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
Yesterday, I took a friend of mine and went back to the local Hindu temple for meditation and chanting devoted to Krishna.

When we arrived, there was a man who pointed us to a smaller building down a hill. We assumed the meditation was not going to be in the main temple, so we went down the hill. We met up with another visitor (a nursing student) and entered the building. This was a case of miscommunication; the building we were in was the cultural center and was filled with middle/high school students (who seemed interested as to why there were non-indians there. ). As it turns out, the meditation was in the main temple, the man just didn't think we were there for that. Thus, we headed to the temple.

Fun little tidbit, when I asked the kids where the Krishna meditation was, one girl thought I said CHRISTIAN meditation.

When we entered the temple, we did the usual (removed shoes, washed our hands, etc) and my friend was in heaven. It was the first time she stepped foot in a hindu temple in years. The man introduced himself (he wasn't the priest; as it turns out, the preist is out of country) and showed us all around the temple. He then took us to a small room in the hallway where there was a small shrine with a photo of Krishna, a picture of his guru and a photo of a goddess (I don't remember her name, but during chants, I heard Lakshmi and Devi). After a few minutes, two women showed up and the meditation began.

There was 15 minutes of meditation with chanting. Very peaceful, but a little frustrating as I couldn't chant along (not knowing the words). Following the mediation was a reading from a book by the mans guru. I don't remember her name, but the passage was about how she felt the presence of Krishna by giving a poor man money to make a very important pilgrimage. My favorite part was the devotional song everyone sang (this was when the goddess was mentioned) and a candy offering from Krishna was given out to everyone.

Following the meditation was a general puja to the deities in the temple: Venkateshwara, Shiva, Krishna & Radha, Ganesha, Rama & Sita, the Goddess and Mahavira. I took part in the major rituals: the circling of the flaming chalice, fruit offerings, the flame purification and I got to ring the temple bell. :) Afterwards, I spoke to the devotees who were there. They were extremely friendly and welcoming of the three of us to their temple. The man told us of the other Pujas and said we were always welcome. With this in mind, we said Namaste and headed out.

One more thing: before meditation started, we were told that three people who usually show up weren't there. When my friend and I showed up with the other visitor, the man performing the meditation said "Although the other three couldn't make it, God guided these three to us". This small stentence left such a big impact that it, honestly, was probably what cemented the whole experience as truly positive.
TheEccentricFullCirclelobsterJeffreymisecmisc1CinorjerSillyPutty

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    How wonderful. Eh ma ho.

Krishna is a bit blue for me. A sort of super smurf. ;)
    Such jubilation, whenever we go see Papa Smurf.

Keep the Faith. Even if it is someone else's.

om gam ganapataye namaha
    Hari Krishna
    'ave ah Nice Day (Ronald McDonald dharma)

:bowdown:
    TheEccentricSillyPutty
  • The krishna cult is dangerous. They cheat people, even kill them, and there are lots of criminal cases against them. Avoid them. Do not be deceived by how nice these temple blokes are.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    music said:

The krishna cult is dangerous. They cheat people, even kill them, and there are lots of criminal cases against them. Avoid them. Do not be deceived by how nice these temple blokes are.

Are you referring to ISKCON? If so, they are not ISKCON, just regular Vaishnavaites.

• kokorokokoro Explorer
    Wow, quite a response music, maybe a tad generalizing me thinks, still, i don't know much of Krishna devotees but i don't think i'd choose to incite hatred to a whole group because of a few.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @DaftChris: just now i read this thread. nice experience you had.

are you in India currently?

the devotional song, in which you heard the Goddess name, my guess is that that song can be - om jai jagdish hare, swami jai jagdish hare.

i know about ISCKON group devoted to Lord Krishna, but i have not heard any criminal charges against them. i think they should be peaceful in general, if they really are devotees of Lord Krishna and know what Lord Krishna taught in Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta.

moreover, i think if any wrong act would have been done by any individual of ISCKON group, then that wrong act should not be generalized to whole ISCKON group.

@music: i am a Hindu, but i will not say anything about your post above. i have read your other posts and seems to me that currently you are sufferring too badly inside yourself. my compassion is with you. hope you see things as 'just they are'.
    TheEccentricMaryAnne
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Wonderful description! Are you going to go back?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited May 2013

@DaftChris: just now i read this thread. nice experience you had.

are you in India currently?

the devotional song, in which you heard the Goddess name, my guess is that that song can be - om jai jagdish hare, swami jai jagdish hare.

i know about ISCKON group devoted to Lord Krishna, but i have not heard any criminal charges against them. i think they should be peaceful in general, if they really are devotees of Lord Krishna and know what Lord Krishna taught in Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta.

moreover, i think if any wrong act would have been done by any individual of ISCKON group, then that wrong act should not be generalized to whole ISCKON group.

No, I'm not currently in india; it is a local temple. Very generalized as it serves a lot of people with varying beliefs. There is also a local Swaminarayan temple nearby that I plan on visiting. Possibly today after I spend time with my mom for Mothers day. However, I would love to go to India and have considered doing some humanitarian work over there after I get my Masters degree.

And you are absolutely right about generalizing ISKCON. I have heard some negative things about them, but that doesn't mean the every single member has done or agrees with what happened; if anything really happened at all.
    Cinorjer said:

Wonderful description! Are you going to go back?

Absolutely! Unlike a lot of other 22 year olds, I'm not into the party scene. I'd much rather go to a Buddhist or Hindu temple for meditation and prayer. I plan on going back this Tuesday for a Hanuman Chalisa.

misecmisc1TheEccentricInvincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    DaftChris said:

I plan on going back this Tuesday for a Hanuman Chalisa.

Great. hanuman chalisa on tuesday in front of Hanuman's idol/photo is awesome. i remembered hanuman chalisa all by-heart, after daily reading it for few months.

jai hanuman gyan gun sagar, jai kapish tihu lok ujagar.
    ram dut atulit bal dhama, anjani putr pawan sut nama.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I plan on going back this Tuesday for a Hanuman Chalisa.
    Wonderful.
    My sort of party.
    Say hi from me.
    my mantra is
    OM YA HA HUM
    Which means 'God Rocks'

Have a great time. :clap:
    karmablues
  • We had a Krishna temple (ISKCON) near the university when I was going to school and the devotees would come and hand out invitations for their Sunday "vegetarian feast". I was always kind of fascinated by the Hare Krishna movement but I never did attend any services and I wish that I had.

I did talk to some of them and read the literature, though. I even had a subscription to their magazine Back to Godhead for a time. I still read the Bhagavad Gita at times.

From what I understand, abuse did happen and ISKCON admitted it honestly and paid millions in damages.