Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    You are a dumpster diva/diver? @Kotishka

I use the trashnothing app (great if you are in a city)

Free Stuff Alerts app is better, I found....

• Well this weather is set in for the weekend...rain, rain and more heavy rain...
    On my way to work this morning....

• Our 'little' 7.5 mo old gersky can now reach goodies on the kitchen counter.
    Goodby breakfast. :o<3

KotishkaJeroen
  • While cleaning the field that lies in front of my house I've found all sorts of rubbish:

1. An attempt to build a small marijuana mini-grow farm.
    2. Cans that were at least 10 years old
    3. Lots of broken beer bottles (assh*oles)
    4. Diapers (WHAT THE FLYING F..)
    5. Plastics....lots of them...

Today was my birthday by the way. I had a Ferro Roche cake. I wish I had taken some photos, but some things are better in the belly than in front of a phone.....

Haha!

Shoshin1
  • Many Happy Returns @Kotishka ...Hope you had a mindful day....

Kotishkalobster
  • Well yesterday and first thing this morning it was winter again...
    The temperature had dropped and there was a bitter cold wind

Then around mid morning things changed...Some people were sunbathing and swimming...

What a difference a day makes

FleaMarketLionduck
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited October 2022

Interesting cloud formation this lunchtime as I drove into the village...

What prompted me to scan the skies was another interesting cloud I saw first, but didn't get any shots of it, however this one with the thin cloud stretching down from the heavens was of more interest...

• Well... Lanzarote is getting a small green veil covering the bleakness that usually rules the island. The tropical storm we had a few weeks ago has helped and I guess climate change is providing the extra rain that we've been having for the last days.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Here on the continent nighttime temperatures have been getting down to give ground frost in some places, and its only October. The weather service was predicting a mild winter too.

• The times they are a changin

• More rain. Great! It is going to look like I live in a little ol' shack...in Honolulu HaaAAwwwwAaaaAaaAAAii....

Shoshin1lobster

• Well it's that time of year again. My first skinny dip of the season ..cold showers are paying off , the Pacific was refreshingly cool...

FleaMarketlobster
  • Earlier on when I was on my morning jolk I came a cross this large jellyfish... beautiful colour...Mother Nature is quite creative..

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I made a wonderful lasagna from a recipe which called for a lot of garlic, rosemary and thyme, and after eating it, the world seems different… especially my sense of my tongue seems altered, and I can still taste the spices.

lobster
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited October 2022

Happy halloweed

Shoshin1
  • The track down to the beach....

edited October 2022

The water is warmer than last week....the tide is coming in .. There's been quite a few shark sightings in the bay quite close to shore.. they are most probably herding and feeding on the manta rays...
    The water/tide is getting closer to my beach tent....

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I especially liked the first video, walking to the beach. My dreams used to be like that, and some of my meditations.

Shoshin1
  • @Fosdick said
    I especially liked the first video, walking to the beach. My dreams used to be like that, and some of my meditations.

Yes, it's a pleasant walk, listening to the bird songs and taking in the scenery ...

Mindfully I walked back up the track...mindfully because I was walking bare footed (aka Earthing), I had to watch my step for the odd sharp stones/rocks on the track...the soles of my feet are not as hardy as they used to be, and the last part of the track is quite stoney (not the spliff smoking kinda stoney...lots of gravel...but I guess it could be :) )

• Well I was in Wellington on the weekend visiting my daughter...
    It's such a beautiful city , and the city centre is great, everything is easily assessable (in walking distances)... and quite colourful...
    It's also known as the windy city and it lived up to its name...The plane was bouncing around all over the place as we came in to land

This is Cuba Street, the main street....

I got soaked as I walked past the bucket fountain, the wind blow the water all over me...

Then there's the art centre, we had a wander inside looking at the exhibitions on display...

And quite close to the art centre is Te Papa

We had brunch at one of my daughter's favourite vegan cafes ... Nolita... the cafe boasts having Wellington's smallest toilet, so I had to see for myself...

And walking up Cuba street we came across a flowery bush playing a sax...Don't see that everyday...(well my daughter tells me it's there everyday)

• Happy YamaDay (Halloween, All Saints Day etc)
    … yesterday now

The bodhisattvas came streaming as rainbow shards in front of the house

In the back garden the bodhi fox left a pigeon as a peace offering, which I took to a local churchyard for his wilder cousins …

Shoshin1KotishkaLionduck
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Our mendicant squirrel, with robe of fur and begging bowl for cheeks. Presently engaged in sectarian strife with the local birds, for possession of the feeder.

KotishkalobsterShoshin1FleaMarket
  • The internet is down at my place, (using the work computer) been down since Saturday...Not sure when it will be up and running again....

Bad luck @shoshin1, hopefully you will be able to get online again soon!

Shoshin1
  • Yes still no internet ...... it's amazing what you can get done with no distractions at home (no access to the net which also means no smart tv)... but it will be nice to have access again....

• Want some of mine @Shoshin1 ? I've been hittin' the wifi long enough. For real though, is it an issue the service provider is taking care of or is it something left to you to troubleshoot?

Shoshin1

Two days is a pretty long ‘interruption’. When they’re doing work on the lines here locally they schedule the work at night and the outage is rarely more than four hours.

• The whole of the road where I live is down... it's an issue which the service provider needs to fix... I guess because the part of the island where I live is classed as rural, things such as power cuts and internet issues tend to take a little longer to fix.... It's been just over a week now without the internet...My phone data doesn't work at home when the internet is down, so I can only access it, when out.... It's not been too inconvenient, I've been listening to Radio NZ for news and weather and some of the interesting discussions/topics the hosts have with their guests, plus I've been listening to a lot of classical music on their music station...

KotishkaFleaMarket
  • Plus, I'm not the account holder , the landlord is, so I only get the odd update from him....

edited November 2022

Just heard on the radio that there's been a 7. something Earthquake in the Solomon Islands, islanders have been told to move to higher ground...At the moment no tsunami warning for NZ ...but this could change...

Jeroen
  • For some strange reason my mobile data seems to be working at home...but very weak, two bars max...no sure how long it will last ..so I'm making the most of it...

• Tomorrow is officially the start of the holiday season here so wishing a happy holidays to everyone. I'm grateful for you all. I don't think I could ever sufficiently express how much. I have a feeling I'm difficult to understand at times and I'm a pretty slow learner and rather confused but I'm actively practicing in some aspect or another. Not sure I can ever stop practicing at this point.. My intentions are never to harm and any caused by me I will take back ten-fold. I hold you all dearly in my heart. Be well.

howShoshin1KotishkaJeroen

Thanks @FleaMarket for the kind thoughts. I was reminded by a Christian acquaintance a few days ago of the start of Advent and the run-up to Christmas, so I’ll join you in wishing everyone an early happy holidays.

FleaMarket
    edited November 2022

Someone pointed out to me that my style of talking has something of an “oppositional nature” — that when I talk often I’ll pick out a point in what someone has said and talk about my own opinion which is opposite. It’s not a good way of conversing and I apologise to anyone who has been on the receiving end. I shall attempt to change for the better.

FleaMarket
  • @Jeroen You and I may be similar in that regard. I'm a glutton for debate who has few acquaintances so I see truth to what you've stated about not being a great way to converse in general.
    Though I feel in meeting someone of similar nature, detached from identifying with the viewpoints they argue, with respect for both sides of the argument, wouldn't it become a friendship? Many grand understandings come from the meeting point of opposing views accompanied by mutual respect and open mind. Maybe it just depends on whether it feels like a collaboration or an attack. Which can be quite difficult to determine.

edited November 2022

@FleaMarket said:
    Though I feel in meeting someone of similar nature, detached from identifying with the viewpoints they argue, with respect for both sides of the argument, wouldn't it become a friendship?

Its possible, but it is perhaps more likely to become an annoyance to both sides, it depends on how you express your viewpoint, as an opposition or as an alternative. People feel the need to counter a direct opposition, whereas an alternative with supporting arguments will often just be accepted as your view… if you challenge wether people are right, it will often just get their hackles up especially in subjective matters.

Thats been my experience anyway. All we can do is keep learning.

FleaMarket
  • Soul mates 😁😉

• Well as of the 1st December the new speed limit in the village will be 30kms

Hence why the new speed limit signs are up and ready for the 1st...

Shortly after taking this video (as I was walking through the village) the heavens opened up....lucky for me I was wearing a raincoat and had an umbrella with me...

It's been one of the wettest Novembers on records...

BTW the internet is finally back on ( my neighbour just texted me to let me know they had fixed it)....For a while now I've had to stand in a certain part of my apartment leaning on one of the window sills so I could use the data on my phone...

• Welcome back in full @Shoshin1
    Losing internet can be quite unsettling. Especially if it's something used frequently.

Restraint with the internet is good.
    good is restraint with the internet. O.o

Shoshin1
    edited November 2022

Well rain, rain and more rain...

No doubt more thunder storms to come over summer...and tomorrow December 1st is the official start of summer ...

BTW the person I beeped at is a friend...

FleaMarket

Rinzai was an interesting character… when is a shout a good answer to a Zen question? He used to shout, or sometimes beat people with a stick, but was still thought a Zen master.

• My partner was getting annoyed with my hermit, Zen priest wannabe musings. So I was like..
    "I think I will call myself Wandering Cloud...🤓🧐"
    To what she replied...
    "No, your name will be Juicy Poo..." 💩

Shoshin1
  • Every time...Every bloody time...I've just been to the supermarket and when there are not many staff on the checkouts or there are long queues I use the self checkout...However I have a feeling the machines there don't like me...

First it asks if I have a bag then tells me to put bag in the bagging area, so I do, and then it says scan your item...

So I scan a few items, then it tells me to removed bag from the bagging area, so I remove the bag with the scanned items in it, then it locks me out and a staff member has to assist, swiping cards and punching in codes, then it ready to go again...

So I put another bag in the bagging areas to finishing scanning my shopping... then "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA PLEASE REMOVE" the only thing there is the empty bag waiting to be filled...It locks me out again...anyhow this went on a few times, and the staff member had to stand by the machine and swipe his card and punch in codes...Every bloody time....

WTF ( What The Fuc Wow Totally Frustrating )

FleaMarketLionduck
  • @Shoshin1 said:
    then it locks me out and a staff member has to assist, swiping cards and punching in codes, then it ready to go again...

How many staff does it take to service a self-check? :p
    Sometimes I wonder if the businesses really save money on that strategy or if they're just kidding themselves.

Shoshin1
  • @Kotishka said:
    "I think I will call myself Wandering Cloud...🤓🧐"

Kotishka the Rain Cloud :chuffed:

"Compassionate for all beings,
    that person distributes
    abundant food upon request,
    saying, “Give! Give!”

The rain cloud rains forth,
    having thundered and roared,
    drenching the earth with water,
    soaking the uplands and valleys."
    - Iti 75

KotishkaJeroen

My father was involved in a traffic accident a few days ago, so I’m helping him out at his flat. I’ve taken my ipad so can still get online, so I should still be around. He was thrown from his bicycle but not badly injured, they kept him in hospital for a few days under observation.

Kotishka
  • A fellow cyclist! I hope his recovery is quick :+1::heart:

Jeroen

He is getting better, he is now capable of walking to the supermarket unaided again, and cooking for himself in the evening. I caught a glimpse of his back, where he landed after being thrown from his bike, and its largely still shades of purple from the bruising. But he assures me that he is not in a lot of pain, and that I can go home again…