Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    I might be getting a tortoise soon.... O.o

Excellent companion pet for walking meditation but they do tend to race ahead :3

VastmindBuddhadragonroots
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I should think yes, Fede, but I am stumped by all these online booking sites.
    I think I'll go directly to a travel agency.

So, yes, I managed to book everything.
    We'll be in London July 16-19.

One of my first visits will be to the Buddhist Society... <3

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

If you and Aunt Fede meet up...we better hear all about it!!!! How fun!!!

WalkerBuddhadragon
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Look out London!!!

silverBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2015

@Walker said:
    Look out London!!!

London has been forewarned.
    It is battening down the harches.
    The queen has evaccuated to Windsor.

Not for her own safety.
    She went off in a huff because she hadn't been invited....

Right Royal hissy-fit she had!!!

WalkersilverBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Does this remind you of monkey mind at the beginning of meditation ? :lol:

Walkernakazcid

@Walker said:
    Look out London!!!

C'mon!! >:)

I've been to the UK several times before and it's still on the map...

Of course, I was younger and mellower back then...actually, I was never that mellow...

Now that I'm an old bag, things could be different...

Walker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Excuse me! 'not so much of the 'bag'...! :D

Let me know whether you have a schedule for the days you are in London, what you plan to do, we'll try to meet up! PM me, I'll make a date!!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

Cool, I had no idea there was a place like that in Wimbledon. Did you see any Wombles on the common? ;)

lobstermmo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

The womble residence (Wimbledon common) is at the end of the same road as the Temple.

I went there on my electric bike, which might be an option to consider for @Invincible_summer as you can both cycle or scoot ...

The bike below for example would not be legal in the UK which has speed restrictions which means we can travel along mainly pedestrian routes, bike lanes and some pavements ... which for London is great.
    https://www.electricbike.com/stromer-st1-2013/

• lobsterlobster Veteran

More shrine stuff.
    This was on my journey today. It is the Peace Pagoda in Battersea Park.

Anyone recognize the karate style, my guess is goju ryu ...
    The video was filtered and sound added directly from Youtube
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/183851?hl=en

Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

That fluid hand grasp with counter punch is not a part of any classical Goju Ryu kata that I've seen.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

Thanks @how. Not sure then. There are so many syncretic mashups ...

Sorry to derail this off topic thread with direct dharma related posts [lobster succeeds at failing]

So ... back on topic ... I recently bought some pure arabica coffee, my new year resolution was to give up caffeine - such a failure ...

Anyway I add one clove and a dust of nutmeg to the filter. I may get some cardamons which is the best addition to coffee. It is used in Jaffna coffee which is similar to masala tea, a spiced speciality. Yum.

Maybe need choccy dust - Italian style - Yab-Yum ...

And now back to nothing in particular ...

Bunks

Greetings from Paris

Invincible_summer

Your heads are too big for those hats....! Can't wait until thursday!! Wheeeee!!!

Oh, yes, Fede, we're such big heads... wait till Thursday in London!

Are you girls goin' clubbing then? ;)

Walker
    edited July 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    Are you girls goin' clubbing then? ;)

Doubt it. We're bringing the party to London.
    I expect it may take a few weeks to recover from our visit. I believe it's possible we may hit a "Yo Sushi"....!

Buddhadragon
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2015

I've never been more excited for two people I've never met to meet up. :smiley:

Have fun, Ladies!!!

Buddhadragon

Won't be on here much longer today - am off to London!!!!

Invincible_summer

Girls going wild in London....watch for news reports!

Yeah, we're gonna knock Greece, Budget reforms and Images of Pluto out oif the headlines!!

(Sorry USA, very insular... as if only the UK news mattered...! :tongue: )

I just hope you don't get drunk and get into trouble, I wouldn't want a policeman to be "taking down your particulars"... ;)

Buddhadragon
  • MingleMingle Veteran

@DaftChris said:
    SillyPutty

Hello. :)

See I've been waiting all day for you to call me baby. So lets get up let's get on it don't you leave me brokenhearted tonight. Com'on. That's right.

Honest baby, I'll do anything you want to.
    So can we finish what we started?
    Don't you leave me brokenhearted tonight.
    Come on, that's right, cheerio.

What song is that?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Brokenhearted - Karmin

PS: DhammaDragon's friend, Lau is absolutely delightful - but the poor darling lives in Argentina - London was positively invernal for her - we had to buy her a jacket!!

(I have to admit - and I did mention this in the restaurant - I was distinctly unimpressed with the offerings at Yo Sushi... very sparse, loads of empty spaces on the conveyor, and others filled with advertising mini-banners, and the one and only fish on offer seemed to be salmon. Mostly salads, edamame beans, some occasional inari pockets and instead of whole katsu (chicken, prawn, pork, pumpkin) they had a sporadic mixed selection on one plate...Considering the incredible range apparently on offer on their menu,
    it was actually one of the poorest visits to 'Yo Sushi' I have ever "enjoyed". Had it not been for the superb company I was with, and the lovely day we were having, had I been on my own, I would have left....)

(I just filled out their customer feedback form, online... Took about 10 minutes. It doesn't make for entirely positive reading, but it was honest and to-the-point..... Ooops.... :blush: )

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Living in Vancouver where there is a half-decent sushi joint on practically every street corner (or literally, in my old neighborhood), @federica's experience sounds pretty terrible. I will never take our choice of sushi restaurants for granted again... B)

Can't view without logging in. Damned if I'm gonna....

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2015

Perhaps some expressions of internet Ego, while entertaining, are best left un fed.

ShoshinInvincible_summer

She's a raven lunatic, to crown it all..... (Did you see the bling?!?)

Hang on... where has the guy on the left got his hand, exactly....!?

VastmindInvincible_summer

@DhammaDragon said: His hand is definitely not on my bottom.

Oh well... never mind, better luck next time! :dizzy:

And yes, Fede, I love ravens, in a very Poesque fashion...

"Quoth the raven 'never more'...!"

VastmindBuddhadragonlobstermmo

Making my own calcium supplement. 1 level tsp/day is perfect!

Putting this in the 'diet & habits' thread too.... :)

mmo
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@how said:
    Perhaps some expressions of internet Ego, while entertaining, are best left un fed.

I see what you did there!

Yesterday at the clinic:

• I was putting a TENS unit on a patient, and he said to me:

"Is this the same thing some people use for kinky sex?"

• I was chatting to an older patient while getting him set up for treatment, and he mentioned that he's going on vacation to visit his home country. I asked about the weather there and he said it's very hot at this time of year, so there are lots of beach parties where there are "many many girls and lots of jiggy-jiggy - good for young people!"
    Bunks
  • mmommo Veteran

Is it a good idea to start a video thread? :)

Ask @Linc. I'm not sure....

• mmommo Veteran

It might be useful to have one to post educational and teaching links.

I'm not saying it wouldn't. I'm just wondering about the technical stuff and that....

I would be all for posting links TO the videos, rather than posting the videos themselves....
    Otherwise it will take an eternity to navigate from top to bottom....