Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Well shock horror!!!
    The bloody weatherman was right (well he was a day out)...It's bloody cold this morning 9 C... The C stands for COLD and the 9 is the number on my personal mental scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the coldest) it's gonna reach a high of 14 but I guess we'll be a degree or two warmer here on the island...

Oh well....

"Whether the weather is cold whether the weather is hot-I'll weather the weather whatever the weather whether I like it or not!"

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Sissy! Put another jumper on! :p

ShoshinWalker

The sun is trying to break through the clouds but the weather's meant to turn to custard later today....Fortunately I have an heater in my office at work :)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

9 degrees C is cold? When it gets that high here during winter, we break out the shorts and t-shirts!

ShoshinfedericaSwaroop
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Many a true word said in jest...!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Walker said:
    9 degrees C is cold? When it gets that high here during winter, we break out the shorts and t-shirts!

I was always a little bemused by the sight of a pasty English tradie walking around the centre of London on a 15C day with his shirt off!

ShoshinlobsterWalker

I found this quite neat...."If music be the food of love play on!"

silver

Yesterday walking home from work I/eye saw all these wonderful blended shades of blue and grey when looking out over little Oneroa...

Walkersilver
  • Quite pleased to get shots of this cormorant flying over a local river as I was quite a distance away on the initial shot and had to pan with zoom on. The cormorant is a seabird, quite common on London ponds but rarely see it on shallow rivers. You will also see wild plums (bullace) already ripening, moorhen chicks, very well disguised fish and the tram ...

WalkerDairyLamaSwaroop

Those cormorants are very clever!

• herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

It's. 40 C in Arizona today. (I had to find a conversion calculator online.) Much cooler than it has been, ha, ha.

BunksShoshin

Do you cook eggs on the pavement there? :p

Bunks
  • ShimShim Veteran

It's 03:50 am and I've totally missed the sleep train.

So it's time to read through old threads here on NB!

Bunks

federicaWalkerShim
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shim said:
    It's 03:50 am and I've totally missed the sleep train.

So it's time to read through old threads here on NB!

I can totally equate! I used to get so frustrated - now, it's just something else to accept and just get on with!

• IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

I used to live in the desert and phew... when it wasn't 48 C in the summer, it was good. Getting down to the 90s F was rare.

Bunks
  • Just bought a pencil for £79 - ay caramba!

Apple sure know how to appeal to technophiles. I luvs my pencil! :3 Been using it with an OCR app called Nebo that turns my cursive scrawl into text. Paper and pen is so passé ... :p

Shoshin
  • @Bunks said:
    I was always a little bemused by the sight of a pasty English tradie walking around the centre of London on a 15C day with his shirt off!

:)

I am surprised they were not arrested for frightening the horses/Muslims and sexual harassment ... :pleased:

oh wait you said 'his' ... :3
    http://opcoa.st/0pFhV

Bunks
  • IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

@lobster said:
    Just bought a pencil for £79 - ay caramba!

Apple sure know how to appeal to technophiles. I luvs my pencil! :3 Been using it with an OCR app called Nebo that turns my cursive scrawl into text. Paper and pen is so passé ... :p

Oh! I love correcting OCR software errors. :love: It's one of my hobbies. I like doing it for sites that provide books for Project Gutenberg. Oh, the OCR. <3

I'm surprised nobody's had anything to say about the Olympics, so far....

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2016

@federica said:
    I'm surprised nobody's had anything to say about the Olympics, so far....

Yaaaaaas! I've watched ALOT this time! I hate to see it go on Sunday. Have you been watching? I've been into it !!! The track and field has been exciting....did you see the Ghana women in their skirts with white tops in the opening night? Beautiful!!! Stunning!!......too many blazers every where else..Why our USA fashion logo was a man playing polo (RL)...which we don't really play here, do we?...hahaha..anyway....Then the sports......The swimming...volleyball...don't get me started, hahaha

The main sport Australia has excelled at in the Olympics is our media criticising the athletes and AOC for not winning enough medals!

Apparently it costs $11 million per Gold we have won. Seems excessive but what price do you put on the feel good factor?

Team GB doing very well @federica.

I haven't been watching the Olympics (no TV) however I do like watching the Jamaican lightening bolt cruise across the finish line...and the dance too...He 'is' the Olympics :)

edited August 2016

I walked into the village this afternoon, bought a pair of track pants at the Red Cross...I took the Esplanade route on the way back and spied a 4WD with catamaran in tow, stuck in the mud, and a tractor and another 4WD about to tow them out...There were shouts of joy from the stuck driver as he was pulled out...

Just as I was entering the road where I live, I saw people getting out of a car parked outside the house opposite the road where I live, all dressed in black and start to walk solemnly heads down, towards the house...

Relief and joy for one group and sadness and sorrow for the other...I said a few "OM Mani Padme Hungs" as I walked back to my place...

@Shoshin said:
    I haven't been watching the Olympics (no TV) however I do like watching the Jamaican lightening bolt cruise across the finish line...and the dance too...He 'is' the Olympics :)

He did something pretty special, the other day.

Yes he is a legend :)

edited August 2016

I did watch a bit of the sailing because I used to sail a Laser, they make it look so easy!

Oh yeah, I've been watching quite a bit of the Olympics.

Bolt is amazing, and in Canada, we've really enjoyed watching Andre De Grasse and his great performance at his first Olympics.

That 200m semi was fun to watch. De Grasse and Bolt smiling at each other 10m from the finish while they're both running like blazes.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Since I don't have a TV set, I just read the headlines on line, and a story I caught a couple days ago sticks in my mind -- the sportscaster who caught a rare form of malaria (and has now awoken from a medically induced coma).

http://fox13now.com/2016/08/18/sportscaster-who-nearly-died-from-rare-malaria-in-rio-awakens-from-coma/

@Bunks said:
    The main sport Australia has excelled at in the Olympics is our media criticising the athletes and AOC for not winning enough medals!

Apparently it costs $11 million per Gold we have won. Seems excessive but what price do you put on the feel good factor?

Team GB doing very well @federica.

Don't worry, per capita, you're kicking our butts. Oh well, we'll look forward to the Winter Olympics, where we seem to do better.

God, I'm tired......

@federica said:
    God, I'm tired......

Tough day / night @federica?

edited August 2016

The medal tally ...(Remember....it's not about the amount of medals won by each individual country...it's all about the sport and camaraderie.........Yeah right!!! Woohooo The Kiwis won 17 medals :):wink: )

@Bunks said:

@federica said:
    God, I'm tired......

Tough day / night @federica?

Oh you have no idea... Today was the kind of day that convinced me some members of the human race have "fuckwit and milk" for breakfast....

lobsterBunks
  • @federica said:

"fuckwit and milk" for breakfast....

Yum.
    Does it come with oats?

Maybe some of us can send you some good tao .. oat ... Sadhana/Metta goodness ... I dedicate my developing morning Vajrayogini practice to your favoured sales team ...

OM VAJRAYOGINI HUM PHAT SOHA

o:)

• Was just using my insight timer app. I have been banned from sharing on the popular 'beginners mind' group. I am truly more beginner than is technically possible.

So proud :chuffed:

Swaroopfederica
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

@lobster I would really like to read the stuff that got you banned. Would you like to copy and paste here?

Don't be silly, @Swaroop. 2 bans in one day would not be a good profile reference on his CV....

Swarooplobster
  • ShimShim Veteran
    edited August 2016

@lobster said:
    Was just using my insight timer app. I have been banned from sharing on the popular 'beginners mind' group. I am truly more beginner than is technically possible.

So proud :chuffed:

Whut? I just joined the Beginner's mind group but haven't checked it recently. What have I missed?

Swaroop

A ban, apparently....

SwaroopShim
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

I told @lobster that he would find the things a bit tame for his tastes at IT. I was not aware that he was trying to stir up a revolt or something

I don't think @lobster needs to try... he's a born natural....

SwarooplobsterDairyLama
  • There is a saying in Sufism that no one attains the highest level of truth until a thousand honest men (includes ladies :p) have called called them an apostate.

I think I am up to about 394 and that is not including Buddhists who ban me for one reason or another ....
    The ban could have been implemented over six months ago when I was last using the app and a beginner ...

I tries to be good. :3

Swaroop

You naughty lobster! You remind me of Groucho Marx sometimes....

lobsterBunks

More dolphins reported in the bay last week, (this time doing aquabatics, caught on camera, ) unfortunately I was working in another part of the island, so missed the display... I'm under the impression this is going to be a bumper spring/summer season for dolphin watchers/lovers...Especially in Oneroa...

silverlobster
  • Just got another gold star at Insighttimer.com

Soon there will be nothing left of me and I will be a rainbow o:)
    A few days ago I started using their journal/blog facility.

... meanwhile time for berker muesli that I put in soak last night ...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/13/how-to-make-bircher-muesli-recipe

Swaroop

So...holdonasec..... on the one hand, they ban you...on the other hand, they give you pretty sparkles....? What is this, Good Cop, Bad Cop Meditation....?

lobsterSwaroop
  • Tee hee ^^.
    I have not been banned from all groups. Just the one.

They have some guided sleep meditations (que?) so have a pretty broad Church ...

Question: Can anyone see me on line at the moment? Need to update Linc on a problem I've been having....