Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you think of a Buddha in a bar?

2»

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I'm going to call my next dog buddha.. Once he's been fully trained!
    jaeMaryAnneCinorjer
  • Chaz said:

footiam said:

Some people complained about a bar bearing Buddha's name. http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=115572:outraged-seai-kie-demands-closure-of-buddha-bar&Itemid=2#axzz2Yx3rNrG4
    What do you think of a bar with Buddha'name or one having a statue of Buddha in it?

There's a hybrid strain of Marijuana called "Buddha". A whole family of hybrids are derived from that strain. Pretty good stuff or so I'm told.

I don't care what they call it.

I don't care if they name a bar Buddha.
    I don't care of they have a statue of the Buddha in a bar.
    I don't care of they held meditation practice or performed puja in a bar.

There are some stuffy, prudish, "Buddhists" who will object.

And I don't care about that, either.

It would be great if you care about keeping the earth green; that is , if you care about anything.
  • I once actually saw a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Buddhist monk walk into a bar....

but they didn't do anything funny at all, darn it.

Seriously, maybe we should leave it to the other religions to worry about desecration and sacrilege. They're much better at it because they've had a lot of practice.
    anatamanDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm sure Buddha is just as comfortable in a bar as anywhere else.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Buddha walked into a bar and said 'ouch'
    Cinorjer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I don't drink any more except for holidays and special occasions and never get drunk but I would rather go to a bar with smiling buddhas than one with violent displays on forty inch television screens.
    DharmaMcBumYik_Yis_Yii
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Two items of support from Mahayana:

1) There exists lay vows for people who can only do 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the precepts. And a version for people who can't do any of the vows, but still take refuge in the triple gem. Mentally, I call this the principle of "you gotta start where you are"-- you can't expect people to recite 10 rules and be virtuous over night.

2) Skillful means has been used to justify a lot of bad behavior (lying to kids, "selling" Buddhism in a bar) if it is a clever plan to lead to good behavior.

On the other hands, lots of rules regarding slander and respect, so it sort of like how Iceland legalized (really decriminalized) prostitution-- not because they are okay with it, but because it was part of a devious plan to stomp it out entirely.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

@karmablues said:
    I too feel it's disrespectful. I personally wouldn't get into a fight with someone over it though, but I can understand the reaction this may provoke amongst some Malay Buddhists. Just imagine the kind of reaction one can expect from most Malay Muslims if the bar had instead been named "Allah's Bar". If a multi-religious society is to live harmoniously together in peace, people should be sensitive to the feelings of others and avoid acts that may be deemed as disrespectful.

There are no Malay Buddhists here where I am living.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Malay