Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In vitro meat

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I don't eat more than 6 olives for a snack. The high calories are exactly what you want if your 'snack' is to tide you over for a long time.

If you crucify yourself and not eat big portions for a long time you won't need to eat a lot of olives or a big amount of anything. Turkey bites have about 12 calories for a sausage and they satisfy.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    yeah it's crazy how much sodium is in anything that is packaged/processed! 1-2 servings of precessed food can put you over the daily recommendation. Forget fast food, one meal will put you over, especially if you have pop. The sad thing is that we kind of numb our tastebuds with all that salt and fat, and then food that's good doesn't taste good. But if you stop eating so much salt, you can taste real food again and it tastes good. Every one in a while we have to eat on the go, and I try to pick something remotely healthy but I mostly look at calories and I'm always shocked at how much sodium something has in it. Even Subway.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I am pretty sure I ate about 2-3 times my daily salt content in olives yesterday. Not inspired by the comments or anything... For junk food, I always tend towards more salty snacks, like anything pickled. I don't care too much for sweets and I'm not big on chips or anything... but olives or pepperoncinis or Claussen pickles... Oh man. I lack a lot of control with a full jar... especially because I don't USUALLY buy them for this reason.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    karasti said:

yeah it's crazy how much sodium is in anything that is packaged/processed! 1-2 servings of precessed food can put you over the daily recommendation. Forget fast food, one meal will put you over, especially if you have pop. The sad thing is that we kind of numb our tastebuds with all that salt and fat, and then food that's good doesn't taste good. But if you stop eating so much salt, you can taste real food again and it tastes good. Every one in a while we have to eat on the go, and I try to pick something remotely healthy but I mostly look at calories and I'm always shocked at how much sodium something has in it. Even Subway.

After not being "salt sensitive" at all, for about a year-and-a-half I became very salt sensitive and had to cut way back on my salt. I now do things like make my own taco sauce that has half the salt of what you buy in the store. Fortunately, my salt sensitivity has gone back more toward normal, and now a lot of foods seem so salty to me. You can actually get used to far less salt pretty quickly.