Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In vitro meat

In vitro meat is on the rise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat
http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Main/Research1/ResearchUM/FirsteverPublicTastingOfLabgrownCulturedBeefBurger.htm

Vegetarians have a new question to answer. Will I eat meat when there is no killing of an animal involved in getting the meat on my plate?

In fact I see no moral objection against being an in vitro cannibal. Human meat is the best protein we can get.

I think we can have our food (meat or not) from the 3d printer soon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Maybe we will live to see couples 3D-printing their children instead of going through the trouble of having sex and all the fuzz of pregnancy and giving birth.

I can see such a bright future ahead of us!

Comments

• Soylent Green burger...anyone? Would we be buddhist cannibals?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    In all honesty, I would have no problem eating in vitro meat, that is, if half my problem wasn't that eating meat causes my body such issues...heh. But from a mental standpoint, I see no problem with it. I am a bit wary of the quality, however. This is about as unnatural as you can get...

3D printers are the coolest things... They're hoping to use them on the space station where, in case of damage, they could easily manufacture new parts from a simple blueprint.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I would feed it to my pets! Would I eat it myself? No, there would be no need to begin with.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Honestly, I still eat meat and if I had to make the choice I would give it up all together rather than eat in-vitro, lab created meat. I don't trust the govt. to tell me what is safe to eat, as they in the past have often been very, very wrong. I try to keep my food as close to natural as I can get it and that's about as far removed as you can get. What you eat actually changes your genes and the long-term effects over generations of lab-created foods is frightening, to me.
    MaryAnnemfranzdorf
  • It appears we already have a better alternative
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/is-this-the-end-of-meat-7765871.html

100% plant based meat substitutes are getting so good that even professional chefs are impressed (the owner of world famous restaurant El Bulli was convinced he was tasting real chicken).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    zenff said:

Human meat is the best protein we can get.

I haven't seen that in Tescos. :p
  • CittaCitta Veteran

zenff said:

Human meat is the best protein we can get.

I haven't seen that in Tescos. :p
    Bet you have...it would have been pushing a trolley.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    karasti said:

Honestly, I still eat meat and if I had to make the choice I would give it up all together rather than eat in-vitro, lab created meat. I don't trust the govt. to tell me what is safe to eat, as they in the past have often been very, very wrong. I try to keep my food as close to natural as I can get it and that's about as far removed as you can get. What you eat actually changes your genes and the long-term effects over generations of lab-created foods is frightening, to me.

I agree..If and when natural meat becomes unavailable or wildly extravagant I will eat Quorn..which is the best of the meat substitutes to my palate, but I gather may not be available in the U.S.
    Citta said:

.. I will eat Quorn..which is the best of the meat substitutes to my palate, but I gather may not be available in the U.S.

I love quorn, and it's much nicer than meat....business opportunity in the US?
    ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I dont know if things have changed but I gather that there is a huge backlog in the licensing of 'new' foods for the U.S. market, and that Quorn had not yet ( at the time of my reading ) been cleared for human use.
    But yes its delicious stuff that has been known to fool professional chefs in ' blindfold ' tests.
    The roasting joints and mince are extraordinarily meat -like. The chunks make a good curry.
    Quorn is already available in the US. Most natural foods stores carry it. You can occasionally find it in a normal supermarket depending on what city you are in.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    OK, thank you.
    After posting above I googled an article which spoke about a vegan Quorn burger being trialled on the US market and realised that the situation must have changed.
    Apparently some of the delay in the U.S. was a result of objections being raised by a rival company to the fact that it was marketed as a 'mushroom ' derived product, when in fact the ' mushrooms ' are tiny.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I will gladly accept this thread running off topic for advertising Quorn.
    I like the small chunks and I give them a light marinade of tamari and ginger before I bake it.
  • seeker242 said:

I would feed it to my pets! Would I eat it myself? No, there would be no need to begin with.

I most assuredly wouldn't feed it to my dog, and *definitely* wouldn't eat it myself.

I think this is another case of technology for the sake of technology. Instead of putting our research energy into solving problems we're putting it into finding another work-around while ignoring the underlying issue (too many people eating too many animals).

We tend to do things just because we can, with little thought for the long term consequences.

MaryAnne
    Mountains said:

seeker242 said:

I most assuredly wouldn't feed it to my dog, and *definitely* wouldn't eat it myself.

I think this is another case of technology for the sake of technology. Instead of putting our research energy into solving problems we're putting it into finding another work-around while ignoring the underlying issue (too many people eating too many animals).

We tend to do things just because we can, with little thought for the long term consequences.

If you read about it some, the very reason why they are doing this is precisely for solving energy problems and other associated environmental problems cause by modern day animal agriculture. By trying to produce meat like this, they are directly addressing the problems related to animal agriculture. They aren't doing it just because they can. They are doing it to reduce water consumption, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, reduce energy consumption, etc, etc.

From the linked article:

"Cultured Beef burger represents a crucial first step in finding a sustainable alternative to meat production that’s more ethical and environmentally-friendly"

What they are trying to do is admirable. I still wouldn't eat it though. :)

• I find the idea absolutely repulsive. A lab-grown slab of "meat" manufactured from living cells HOW many production generations back? Two? Six? Eventually and potentially HUNDREDS? Ugh! No thanks.
    Not only that, you know this 'shmeat' will be loaded with all sorts of synthetic vitamins, hormones, juices and fat substitutes.
    And yes, while we will be breaking away from the few "bad things" from naturally raised and grazed meat, we are also losing out on the GOOD things like flavor, fats, natural enzymes and good bacteria that helps us maintain a working immune system.
    Humans are not made to live sterile and certainly not EAT sterile!

The whole idea is totally gross and I wouldn't feed that crap to a junk yard dog, never mind children or any human being! The food chain exists as a nearly perfect balance of co-operation for sustaining life. Can't humans ever just accept that and stop f*cking with it??

vinlynmfranzdorf
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Yes repulsive. I can relate to what you’re saying @MaryAnne.
    At the other hand if you take a closer look at what’s happening in the bio-industry that’s at least as repulsive.

I visited an experimental farm one time. They had cows with caps on their body that would open to their stomachs. They could monitor the way the food was digesting there. The smell that came from those stomachs was ...interesting.
    But more to the point: the way they keep livestock is cruel and alienating in general. Not to mention the obvious cruelty of the slaughterhouse.

And I wouldn’t be too optimistic about the “natural” state of your meat. The stuff is full of hormones and added colors and flavors too. I don’t know how this is in the US, but here we can buy “biological” meat and we hope we get a relatively natural product
  • misterCopemisterCope PA, USA Veteran
    Listen to me...you have to tell them! It's people! IT'S MADE OF PEOPLE!
    vinlynMaryAnnezombiegirl
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2013
    zenff said:

Yes repulsive. I can relate to what you’re saying @MaryAnne.
    At the other hand if you take a closer look at what’s happening in the bio-industry that’s at least as repulsive.

I visited an experimental farm one time. They had cows with caps on their body that would open to their stomachs. They could monitor the way the food was digesting there. The smell that came from those stomachs was ...interesting.
    But more to the point: the way they keep livestock is cruel and alienating in general. Not to mention the obvious cruelty of the slaughterhouse.

And I wouldn’t be too optimistic about the “natural” state of your meat. The stuff is full of hormones and added colors and flavors too. I don’t know how this is in the US, but here we can buy “biological” meat and we hope we get a relatively natural product

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing. I don't find the idea of eating in vitro meat much more repulsive than eating regular meat. I don't know, maybe that's weird. In my years of being a vegetarian, I did go back to eating meat for a year or so and just felt very bogged down with the guilt of supporting the meat industry here. The US has some major issues on that front... But I do realize this is all a mental thing. But then again, the rise in antibiotic resistant infections are not something to be taken very lightly and that certainly isn't an issue that's all in my head.

In the US we can buy "organic" and "free range" meats, but my understanding is that some of the terms can be misleading. At Trader Joes, someone had once put up a hand written sign explaining that their "free range" eggs meant the chickens were confined to a building instead of a cage. For a nod towards TJs though, it appeared to be written by an employee and I'm all for transparency.

But also... a little late to the game... but... Quorn!!! A meat eating friend of mine once told me his introduction to Quorn involved vegetarian tacos that he had no idea were veg to begin with. Said they were some of the best tacos he'd ever had and was truly shocked. But in general, although I do love Quorn and "meat replacements" are cool and all, I generally find them unnecessary.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have this sense that there are some here who would be very open to eating Quorn, but would be very against eating genetically modified corn.

Seems odd.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well first off I would have no problem with eating GM corn...I have no superstitious belief systems around GM..
    BUt having said that I don't quite see the link to Quorn...
    edited August 2013
    Often times when we think we are solving problems by going around nature, we indeed create new problems. IE creating dams to better control the water yet after a few decades the unnatural flow of water causes flooding and problems with animal and plant ecology.

Also, lab-created meat is just going to be another large corporation that has large lobbies that tell our govt that their product is completely safe and fine to eat no matter what. Hopefully if it hits the mass market they'll do us a favor and label it this time around. It'll be something they can sell for a lot of money to the people who want to feel like they are making a difference in the problems it claims to solve, and will still fail to resolve the issue of the poverty and lack of nutrition around the world because the people who could use it still won't be able to afford to buy it. It's not like they are going to spend the money they are spending to develop lab meat and then give it away.

America alone could probably solve the entirety of world hunger by simply buying ONLY what they will consume reasonably, and then donating the money they would have spent on the junk food and the stuff that goes in the trash (think of how much food at hospitals, nursing homes, schools, restaurants goes in the trash) could instead be turned into money sent to feed other people.
    MaryAnneCitta
    vinlyn said:

I have this sense that there are some here who would be very open to eating Quorn, but would be very against eating genetically modified corn.

Based on what?
  • CittaCitta Veteran

vinlyn said:

Based on what?
    I wonder whether the poster thinks that Quorn is made from....corn ?
    No, "the poster" knows better, but "the poster" also doesn't think that this is normal, natural food: "Quorn is made from the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified as the parasitic mould Fusarium graminearum[25]). The fungus is grown in continually oxygenated water in large, otherwise sterile fermentation tanks. Glucose is added as a food for the fungus, as are vitamins and minerals to improve the food value of the product. The resulting mycoprotein is then extracted and heat-treated to remove excess levels of RNA. Previous attempts to produce such fermented protein foodstuffs were thwarted by excessive levels of DNA or RNA; without the heat treatment, purine, found in nucleic acids, is metabolised by humans, producing uric acid, which can lead to gout.[26] However two recent studies have found dietary factors once believed to be associated with gout are in fact not, including the intake of purine-rich vegetables and total protein.[27][28] The Mayo Clinic, meanwhile, advises gout sufferers to avoid some foods that are high in purines.[29] The product is dried and mixed with egg albumen, which acts as a binder. It is then textured, giving it some of the grained character of meat, and pressed either into a mince resembling ground beef; forms resembling chicken breasts, meatballs, and turkey roasts; or chunks resembling diced chicken breast. In these forms, Quorn has a varying colour and a mild flavour resembling the imitated meat product, and is suitable for use as a replacement for meat in many dishes, such as stews and casseroles. The final Quorn product is high in protein and dietary fibre and is low in saturated fat and salt. It contains less dietary iron than do most meats." (Wikipedia)
  • Ugh. After reading that, @vinlyn, (and not for the first time, either) ... I feel kinda nauseous! :wtf:
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2013
    BTW, I could be dead wrong, but I thought @Citta was referring to @SpinyNorman as "the poster...". ?? No? Yes?
    MaryAnne said:

BTW, I could be dead wrong, but I thought @Citta was referring to @SpinyNorman as "the poster...". ?? No? Yes?

Perhaps. But SN had commented on my comment, which led to Citta's comment.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    I still dont see what any of that has to do with GM.
    You mean people are being illogical by refusing GM produce but eating something so manufactured ?
    I take your point , if that is your point, but I have no problem with either. GM, Quorn, bring it on.
    Although I would much prefer a steak given the choice.
    Citta said:

I still dont see what any of that has to do with GM.
    You mean people are being illogical by refusing GM produce but eating something so manufactured ?
    I take your point , if that is your point, but I have no problem with either. GM, Quorn, bring it on.
    Although I would much prefer a steak given the choice.

Essentially, you and I agree.

I don't worry about eating GM corn. I also don't worry about eating Quorn...although it doesn't appeal to me.

And, yes, give me a filet Mignon!

But I just think there are some odd feelings out there about highly processed foods, GM food, natural foods, etc., that don't always make sense. A health nut will probably rail against highly processed foods...but might be in favor of Quorn...which is a highly processed food. I just don't think it's all thought out well for some people.

MaryAnne
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Ah the penny has dropped @vinlyn...excuse me, I was being particularly thick...Yes I agree.
    Citta said:

Ah the penny has dropped @vinlyn...excuse me, I was being particularly thick...Yes I agree.

Earlier I probably didn't explain myself well.

I likewise meet a lot of self-professed health nuts who live on pasta and granola....loaded with processed stuff and sugar.
    I didn't know a thing about Quorn until this discussion so that's been interesting for me. Doesn't sound like something I'd eat, personally.
    I try to keep my diet mostly natural. Meat, eggs and dairy from local sources and fruits and veggies, and some nuts. But I have my vices. Sweet corn being one of them. Mostly GM but too delicious for me to give up especially when we only eat it a few times a year. And cheetos. And the occasional Pepsi Throwback. But despite my vices, processed food icks me out, even pepsi and cheetos, they are just the couple things I have not worked past yet. I imagine it'll come in time as it has with other items. I often engage in a mental battle with myself. "Why are you eating cheetos? You know they are bad for you." "Yeah, but they taste good, so, oh well." The angel and devil on my shoulders influence my food more than they should ;)
    vinlynMaryAnne
  • @seeker - I understand all that. The problem still exists: too many humans eating too much meat. Let's try to solve those before we start eating man-made meat. Bleh! No thanks.
  • ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  • Lab grown meat isn't vegetarian. To grow animal cells outside the body you need a very rich protein based medium, at the moment that medium is based on blood from aborted cattle foetuses.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Chrysalid said:

Lab grown meat isn't vegetarian. To grow animal cells outside the body you need a very rich protein based medium, at the moment that medium is based on blood from aborted cattle foetuses.

yummmy!?!?!?!?! who wants some artificial animal fetus?
    i think ill stick with kale, quinao, potatoes, beans, broccoli, tomatoes, almonds, walnuts, anything else vegetarian and non gmo.
    karasti said:

I didn't know a thing about Quorn until this discussion so that's been interesting for me. Doesn't sound like something I'd eat, personally.

Please try quorn, it's really yummy.

PS I haven't got shares in the company, honest. :D
    karasti
    I wouldn't object to trying it, I try most anything once. But I've never seen it available even in the health stores here.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    karasti said:

I wouldn't object to trying it, I try most anything once. But I've never seen it available even in the health stores here.

' You should try everything once except incest and Morris Dancing '

Sir Thomas Beecham.

:)
  • I'm weary of GM food because it seems that the use of GM is motivated by greed. Greed leads to unethical behavior. I'm not putting my trust in companies that develop products (and lobby for certain laws to be passed, or not passed) for the sake of maximizing profits. It's suspicious that we never here big companies say "we'd like to use this technology X, but let's research this for 10 more years, to make sure it's safe, because we still have some doubts".

For example, I think there is ample opportunity for reducing pesticides. Just recently a USA university finally found out which pesticide was causing bees to die out massively. Did you ever hear a big pesticide company say that we should revert to some less potent pesticides until we have figured out what's happening to the bees? They won't, because their primary responsibility (as they perceive it) is to their shareholders, not to their end-clients. Those companies are powerful and are to a large extent ruling our world, because we let them.
    Jeffrey
    Little farmers are no more ethical than corporate farmers.

We learned a lesson about that here in Colorado 2 summers ago with the cantelopes.
    edited August 2013
    I guess it depends on what you consider a small farm. Considering that when the listeria outbreak started, the FDA recalled 300,000 cases of melons from Jensen Farms, I'm not so sure they qualify as a small farm. Their product serves more than half of the US. Or did.
    Most farms are smaller. It's not that Monsanto owns farms themselves. They just make it so even "smaller" farms end up having to use their seeds and thus the rest of the products they sell because they all go hand-in-hand.
    To me, a farm that is small is one that serves locally and maybe regionally. Not one that serves continentally. The average farm is only 450 (edited) acres. They have over 6000.
    What I am differentiating between is the corporate-owned farm versus the family farm. Jensen got into trouble when the business was passed down to the sons from the father, and they didn't continue the same high standards.
    Most farms though aren't actually corporate owned. Some are, of course. Tyson has farms for example. But most of the time they are just farmers who happen to do business with the large corporations, often to large extents. Almost all the farms in the US are classified as family farms, like 95% of them. Some are much larger than others and do much more business with corporations than others, but they are simply technically family farms that provide to corporations.
    I understand what you are saying, but I don't think most people realize that the horrid factory farms we see and hear so much about aren't actually often corporate farms. They are family farms providing goods to corporations.
    Good Wikipedia article about corporate farming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_farming
    edited August 2013
    vinlyn said:

But I just think there are some odd feelings out there about highly processed foods, GM food, natural foods, etc., that don't always make sense. A health nut will probably rail against highly processed foods...but might be in favor of Quorn...which is a highly processed food. I just don't think it's all thought out well for some people.

I can't speak for everyone, but as someone who does try to buy organic as much as possible... I suppose I would say that Quorn is on the same page as GMs or other "less than healthy" foods for me. That's why I said I'm not big on meat substitutes. It's one of those things where I try and eat as healthy as I can, but I also buy some quick and easy crap food which I know is full of GMs and whanot just because I don't always have the time to eat well and eat healthy. Sometimes it's one or the other when you're running late but need a meal to sustain you for X amount of hours. I don't see this as just a vegetarian problem, btw. I'm sure most people have some stuff in their freezer for these kinds of reasons.
    Personally, I'm not very good at being all this or all that. My diet frequently falls down on the "know better but gonna do it anyways" front. I think you'll just drive yourself crazy if you try and avoid everything bad for you without giving yourself a break once and a while.

Although Quorn is by far the best quick and easy "meat substitute" I really don't *feel* like I'm doing myself any favors when I eat it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2013
    @zombiegirl, there are some relatively healthy 'bites' for when you are hungry: olives!, raw nuts, grape tomatoes, peanut butter spoon, granola bar, and a handful of raisin bran. I found a product called 'turkey bites' which are 1 by 1/4 inch sausages of turkey and are low in fat relative to 'beef bites'. Beef jerky isn't too bad on the health aside from salt, but it is high protein. Olives and nuts are pretty good at giving calories and taking away hunger. Although grape tomatoes are like 1 calorie each 10 of them do help with the feeling of hunger, perhaps coupled with some of the others I mentioned.
    zombiegirl
    Large ripe (black) olives are 6 calories each, so watch out for those, LOL. I love them and ate a bowl of them one day without thinking, it came to a lot of calories! One of my favorite snacks when I can't afford calories (I track what I eat) is cucumber. A large cucumber is only like 34 calories (as long as you don't dip in Ranch). Pea pods from the garden are another favorite, but you can get them by the bag at most grocery stores, too. One of my favorite guilty pleasure snacks is a spoon of peanut butter followed by a spoon of nutella. Mmmmmm.
    Jeffrey, how do turkey bits help a vegetarian?

I worry more about salt now than almost anything in regard to nutrition. The amount of salt put in our diets through processed foods is alarming. I noticed a new protein wrap out by Hormel that has a horrible amount of salt. They even put salt in milk!