Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How long did it take you guys to understand Buddhism

2»

Comments

• And did you have questions like what I'm facing and/or not understand these things?
    How does one become more kind? You are being kind to yourself. Trying to move to knowledge . . . good plan . . .

Questions. Then sharing answers. Then inspiring questions that lead to our answers. So the questions are always there but eventually they are more like answers . . .
    ericcris10sen
  • Glimpse after glimpse after glimpse ~Sogyal Rinpoche

Two words. Be spacious.
    Two words. Be spacious. That is all. ~Sogyal Rinpoche

Let the mind diffuse and focus with a light touch. You can reset faithful that the mind is luminous and will eventually sort out the truth. But you have to let go and have a light touch.. The mental struggling can give way to a bubble up of truth during the focusing part of awareness. Small steps. Lightly. Great joy. :)
    sean
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I find that i understand a bit more than I used to and a lot less than my Guru and lineage teachers.

As i make modest gains in understanding I find myself less inclined to discuss things online. Its like trying to describe a acid trip to someone who's never been on one. Pointless to discuss something for which there is no common frame of reference.
    ericcris10senlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Musings through a sinus infection that has turned my head into a faucet.

One difficulty in qualifying Buddhist teachings as either shallow or deep is that the practitioners own referentiallity to make such measurements, dissipates with the practice.
    There are no real shallow or deep teachings in Buddhism, save the obscuration of our own identity that make such judgements.

From the position of self, the acquisition of "deeper" Buddhist teachings is just a habitual part of the self construction effort.
    From the view of selflessness, Buddhist understandings are self evident and have always been so.
    My most direct path to understanding Buddhist teachings lies not in the mastication of a self wrought mentality, but rather in a willingness to simply no longer continue feeding my own identity construct.

ericcris10senlobster
  • We should open up to all of the arisings of your mind. Ego is the one who struggles against the 'bad', perhaps cold cruel, world. It is shoring up it's defenses so you never feel the pangs and confusion perhaps. It also looks for a sense pleasure to have versus boredom. And finally ego is confusion thinking that loss of something is a big deal. Fears too as bindings.

So the trick is to catch what ego is doing. When you see it disempowers the ego. Still there is fear so in addition to letting go you also have strategies to raise your confidence. An example is taking refuge or working in your sangha with others who have attained detachment from the three poisons via seeing their true nature as passing clouds.
    lobster
  • If your aim is for inner development you will find that sincere spiritual practice is what counts in order to gain insight. There is hardly any need for deep intellectual knowledge, just some understanding of the basics is enough. Of central importance is the practice of mindfulness through which you can contemplate about your own direct experiences of what causes suffering and what causes peace.

I like the following story about Chunda, who was a very dumb person that couldn't read, write or memorize anything, but he was able to achieve insight through sincere spiritual practice:
    The children at the village school laughed at Chunda. They said that the boy was a simpleton because no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't seem to learn to read or write. But the adults of the village were fond of Chunda, for he had a kind heart, and though he was a wisp of a teen, he was always willing to help, running an errand or sweeping a front yard.

Chunda admired his older brother Raj above all else. Raj, who was a couple of years older than Chunda was a bright scholar. When he turned 16, he decided to move to the city to study Buddhism at the monastery. Chunda begged to go with him, and his brother found a way for Chunda to live at the monastery and to earn his keep by working. At the monastery Chunda swept the yards, and clapped the dirt from the sandals of the monks as they came in for the evening meal. He watched and listened as the young monks sat in long conversations. How he wished that he could join in, but he would remember how the children had laughed at him, and his shame always drove him away.

Chunda's brother noticed his brother's sadness and longing, and spoke to him. “Chunda, perhaps you could study to be a monk as well." “But how could I become a monk? I can't read or write, or memorize.” he lamented. “There is more to becoming a monk than book learning. Go to see the Buddha (who was the master of the monastery at that time) and tell him your wishes. He is wise, and compassionate.” So Chunda went and sat before the Buddha who quickly saw that Chunda was an honest young man of pure heart. He gave Chunda just one line of scripture to learn. It was the first of hundreds that each monk was expected to learn by heart. "Give up negative actions. Free yourself from negative thoughts."

Chunda tried and tried to learn the short passage, but he had to repeatedly ask for help, and once he had learned the first line, he would forget it when he began to learn the second. Chunda returned to the Buddha and told him what had happened. The kind man sat in silence for some time. Finally, an idea occurred to him. “Chunda, you are a hard worker are you not?" he asked. “Yes master." "I would like to give you a special job. I want you to sweep the temple hall each day. Can you do that?" asked the Buddha. “Oh yes, teacher.” Chunda said, jumping up with delight. “That is something I can do well.” “Very well then, Chunda. I will give you the job of sweeping the temple. That is all that you must do, but as you sweep the floors you must speak these two lines to yourself, over and over: "Sweep away the dust, sweep away the dirt." Can you remember that?” “Sweep away the dust, sweep away the dirt. Yes, that is easy, because that is what I will be doing!” Chunda set off to begin his work. Every day he did sweep the temple, all day long, and as he swept he kept up a rhythm, “Sweep away the dust” he would say with each sweep out, and “Sweep away the dirt,” with each sweep back. Often he would get lost in thought and he would forget to say the lines. Luckily the other monks knew what he was supposed to be chanting, and they would remind him, and he would go back to his work. "Sweep away the dust, sweep away the dirt."

Then one day the Buddha came upon Chunda who was standing still, thinking hard about something. "Chunda, where is your mind right now." "Oh sorry, Master, I should be sweeping," No, Chunda," he smiled, "share your thoughts." "Well I was thinking that you are a wise man, and you have given me these lines to say about something that I know how to do. When I remember to say them I feel at peace. You have not given me any more lines. Do you mean for me to learn something more from this?" "Yes Chunda. You have found the peace that is there for us in the present moment. Now I want you to think about this: You are sweeping clean the dirt from the temple. Think also about sweeping clean the inner dust and dirt in your mind." "But what are inner dust and inner dirt?" "Well, Chunda, think of the nature of dust and dirt: They cover what is beautiful and clean, and cloud what is clear. And dust and dirt often cover those things that are old and of no more use to us. It is also the nature of dust that we can see it in the air, but when we grasp for it, it is not there, just like thoughts of the future or the past. Think on this and notice when your thoughts are clouding you from the present moment, and causing unhappiness, and notice when you cling to old ways of thinking." Chunda went back to sweeping.

One day Chundra noticed that he was often longing to sit with the other students as they talked about the things they were learning. "But," he would think to himself, "I am not worthy to sit and talk with the other monks and students my age, for I cannot read nor write." This way of seeing and thinking was like dirt, it was an old way of seeing himself that kept him from happiness. "I should sweep these thoughts from my mind." He thought. "Sweep away the dust, sweep away the dirt." He felt peaceful again. Another time he noticed that he was often living in the future wishing, "If only, if only I could read and write like the others, then …" These wishing thoughts were like dust. He was always trying to grasp things out of his reach, and missing the present moment. "Sweep away the dust, sweep away the dirt."

Chunda went and shared his insights with the Buddha who again smiled. "Ah Chunda, you are doing very well. Tell me, can you stop and enjoy the beauty of a clean temple after you have swept?" "Yes, master." "Good then, " smiled the Buddha, "I hope you will now remember to also stop to notice the simple joy of a clean inner temple, as well as an outer one." Chunda did stop to notice, and he continued to sweep the inner dirt, and the outer dirt, and to stop often to experience the peace of the present moment, and the simple joy that was there when all negative thoughts were gone. And in this way Chunda continued to sweep, to chant and to ponder on the nature of grasping and clinging, and the peace of living in the present moment.

In time the other students noticed his peace, and began to talk with him. He was able to share his wisdom with other monks. As the years passed his wisdom and inner peace grew. He became known as The Broom Master, and many came to hear his simple, yet profound wisdom.
    JeffreyVastmind
  • seansean Explorer
    it took buddha six years lol
  • sean said:

it took buddha six years lol

He obviously wasn't really trying . . . :p

It might be of value to say initially we give up our life to practice
    and then our life gives us our practice . . .
    Vastmindericcris10sen
  • You're all right. I've grown to understand more, the more that I practice the teachings. lol I guess I shouldn't try looking too deep into these things :D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Complaining about a post being rude and then saying "bloody" is a bit like complaining about obesity while eating a quarter pounder.

And sorry but it was funny.

But if no one asks Florian, then it wasn't rude. Just as if none asks Citta, then the initial post is empty. Mirrors pointing at mirrors, what a life! Better to hug Florian's rude projector and Citta's validation projector. :hugs:

With warmth,
    Matt
  • I have a question. A LOT of you guys on here have a lot of knowledge on Buddhism, and I was wondering, how long did it take you guys to understand most of it? I can understand the basics of Buddhism and meditation, but there are some things (as stated in one of my other threads) that make me scratch my head and think:

'How does ______ arise within you when you practice/meditate _____?'

I learn a lot from you guys because the books more or less tell you, if you do this, this will happen. And it doesn't really tell you HOW or WHY it would come to be within you and/or how it will positively affect others.

But like I asked, how long did it take for you to start understanding a lot of the more "deeper" aspects/teachings of Buddhism? And did you have questions like what I'm facing and/or not understand these things?

I don't really understand Buddhism, not all of it anyway. I hope it will take this life time, not many more lifetimes.