Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should we as individuals stop supporting certain sports?

2»

Comments

• ^ Totally get what you're saying, @vinlyn.
  • edited September 2013
    Half Time Report

Vinlyn, MaryAnne and Chaz- all tied at mu
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The precepts are guidelines for enlightened behavior.

Tripping over them is why our spiritual path is called a practice.

Given that it's a work in progress for all of us, pointing out anothers perceptual failings in a way that only results in a defensive ego response breaks the spirit of all the precepts.

One that I have to remind myself of regularly.
    zenffMaryAnne
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2013
    how said:

Given that it's a work in progress for all of us, pointing out anothers perceptual failings in a way that only results in a defensive ego response breaks the spirit of all the precepts.

Yes, there should be a precept against arguing about precepts.
    maartenChazEvenThird
  • @MaryAnne,

I've gone over some recent threads about mosquitoes and ants, and I only see reasonable posts there. I didn't see people suggesting that all killing is equally wrong.

Regarding the middle way, probably many people have different opinions of where the middle lies. Also, the middle way does not exclude all extremes. The heart sutra tells us to love all beings with boundless compassion, it doesn't say "not too little compassion, and not too much".
    Jeffrey
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2013
    ^ this is waaay off the track from the OP. I was only trying to clarify for you something you seemed to misunderstand in a post I wrote. BTW, that specific post (of mine) in which you asked "Really?" was in response (more than less) to another post above it within the thread, not exactly in direct response to the OP; as you can see by the included quotes in my post. It's gotten way off the track now... unnecessarily so, IMO.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, under the OP's logic we should really stop supporting all sports. As a massage therapist, I have had the opportunity to discuss many people's injuries, especially the old chronic ones from high school days. In my experience, the three top sports that cause injury at the high school level are: American football (everything from ligament injuries to herniated discs), baseball (usually torn rotator cuff), and cheerleading (herniated disc issues from being dropped are so common it's ridiculous).

But, in regards to the original question, I do think that sports like like MMA and boxing where the actual point is harm, sort of stand out and I don't really feel like I can support that. Personally, I'm a big soccer fan and in the last NWSL season, injury after injury plagued many of my favorite players. But do I feel bad about supporting them because of the risk to the players? No, because I can almost guarantee that all risks aside, they love what they're doing. Especially in a league like the NWSL where the amount they get paid is so ridiculously low (they range between $6,000-$30,000 with the higher range only reserved for high ranking Olympic athletes like Abby Wambach). Seriously, at $6,000... you'd better love the game.
    MaryAnneJeffrey