Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Learning to love one self

2»

Comments

• I think Pema Chodran (and maybe Charlotte Joko Beck) are my go-to teachers for this.
  • Tosh said:

He's also telling me that members of his family are coming to him with their problems now; either looking for advice or someone to talk to. If you knew Michael when he was drinking, that's amazing stuff.

I've other stories, but I'll not bore on.

It does not surprise me. If you want to know about transformation go to a prince who became a pauper (Buddha style) or addict who became drug free . . .

I will let you into a little secret . . . sometimes I have seen street alcho's. Not enlightened BUT more spiritually developed than many. How so? [yeah I have a siddhi to perceive degree of awakening - get over it] I feel it is something like the closer to the hell realm, the closer to potential transformation and genuine insight . . .
    Never give up guys. You are ALWAYS on the path :clap:
    poptartWoah93ToshJeffrey
  • Alcohol never had a hold on me personally, the feeling I have is more like I need "something" going on to be satisfied or not bored, whether this is a stimulant, a psychedelic or just some pot it doesn't really matter.

It's when there is nothing else but myself and the environment without something going on I get this constant nagging feeling that I'm somehow wasting time or need to be doing "something". Guess I need to do more self-observation to see where this is actually coming from...

I don't think it's about the substance or even addiction but rather some form of escapism going on, then again I'm no psychologist...
  • Woah93 said:

Alcohol never had a hold on me personally, the feeling I have is more like I need "something" going on to be satisfied or not bored, whether this is a stimulant, a psychedelic or just some pot it doesn't really matter.

It's when there is nothing else but myself and the environment without something going on I get this constant nagging feeling that I'm somehow wasting time or need to be doing "something". Guess I need to do more self-observation to see where this is actually coming from...

I don't think it's about the substance or even addiction but rather some form of escapism going on, then again I'm no psychologist...

Ditto on me. I always feel I have done something wrong or am failing. Hard to sit with, but I do it.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Sorry
    but I think everyone has some form of addiction or another.
    I don't think that folks with different addictions have a higher or lower success rate at addressing their own issues over alcoholics.
    Any addiction is just whatever proves almost too hard to let go off.....plain and simple.
    lobsterAllbuddhaBound
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    how said:

Sorry
    I don't think that folks with different addictions have a higher or lower success rate at addressing their own issues over alcoholics.
    Any addiction is just whatever proves almost too hard to let go off.....plain and simple.

At first I thought, no, that's true. But, depending on how you define "addiction", it is almost certainly true. Mine is eating, and probably could include being somewhat of a loner.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

how said:

Sorry

At first I thought, no, that's true. But, depending on how you define "addiction", it is almost certainly true. Mine is eating, and probably could include being somewhat of a loner.

I mainline visual stimulation (TV/ movies or puters) as my asprin for dukka.
    and probably have a zen meditation practice dependent on a life long arrangement of external conditions
  • With addictions I say go full force. Do it or not. But don't be divided. Moment by moment. Experiment with crucifying yourself by cutting off the addiction. If your going to do the addiction then go full force and enjoy it as much as possible.
    AllbuddhaBound
  • Interesting, fluid and useful defining of 'addiction'.
    We of the path (the curious, curiouser and 'this is curious') have to increase our 'addictions' to the skilful means.
    Loving those aspects of our self that are skilful and useful is a first step. If you are a scorpion, sting yourself with dharma (change the poison).
    If you are an obsessive, become a dharma obsessive. If you are a dharma know it all . . . well gotta love that . . .
  • Jeffrey said:

With addictions I say go full force. Do it or not. But don't be divided. Moment by moment. Experiment with crucifying yourself by cutting off the addiction. If your going to do the addiction then go full force and enjoy it as much as possible.

Interesting way to look at it. An analogy would be "smoke cigars till you get sick". I think it often works too.