Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wikipedia one of our dearest Friends

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited October 2013 in NewBuddhist.com
Just an idea that occurred to me a minute ago:
I think that NewBuddhist and Wikipedia have one major motive in common, namely promulgating knowledge and concern for getting at the truth of things. With that in mind, when I give moneys to Wikipedia I'd kinda like to be part of a team. Would anyone be interested in making Wikipedia a sister project and linking our Wikipedia contributions somehow with NewBuddhist?

After all, Wikipedia is the major vehicle we drive around here. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before and I missed it.

XXX,

N
EvenThird

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I don't see what you mean by linking them, but each year I do send a contribution to Wikipedia, because I use it very, very often.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Well, I don't have a Clue how Newbuddhist is funded, but I know that dot.com sites are building a different world. If NewBuddhist.com appealed for funding, I'd do something, too.

I don't know what linking our Wikipedia contributions to NewBuddhist would entail, really, or how best to do it, either. But we are, I suspect, in this "Building a Better World" business (busyness) together quite a lot. Look at all the details devotees of The Lord Buddha have put THERE with such good art and devotion! And also the more skeptical, further honing the perspectives illuminated there.

I mean, since WIKIPEDIA is one of (if not ) The most-used vehicles we depend on in this domain, should we not at least think of a way to honor that domain especially? Or at least entertain some notion awhile?

What ever is the Point of building anything? ???

They say the Foundations of the Taj Mahal were built and then abandoned for years before the architect came back to complete the project.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I'm passing the buck...this sounds like an admin issue.
    Funding starts/lies with them.
    Nirvana
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Nirvana said:

Well, I don't have a Clue how Newbuddhist is funded

The last several years it's been Lincoln's bank account. :p

We have an affiliate program where if you click a link someone posts on this site (or Icrontic) and buy something, we usually get a tiny kickback. It helps a little, but most of it's from Icrontic.

One of my goals for our sites in 2014 is to get them turning a small profit without using banner ads.

I personally donate to Wikipedia but don't have any plans to organize a giving drive / team for them.
    sova
  • Lincoln on Darkmatters Sacred wiki people can donate and they receive a special badge by their name. I imagine some people would go for that.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I would help contribute something towards NB. Is there a way to do this?
    Vastmind
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Thanks for the sentiment. Not yet, but you'll know if I set something up :)
  • we can work collectively on a Wikipedia sister project, wikibooks. Here is one I started earlier.
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Buddhist_Philosophy/Introduction

:wave: