Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

careers for convicts and that sustainability racket

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Hey all, feeling well and of full ease i pray :)

My friend just told me about this beautiful initiative in Chicago, where ex-cons can get work helping as beekeepers. Still growing as a program, but what a great direction.

an excerpt:

Three months after he was paroled, Smith is a beekeeper. With Sweet Beginnings, a program focused on providing ex-convicts with work experience and the start of an employment history, Smith tends to hives and, with others in the program, produces upscale beauty and consumer products from the resulting honey.

"Nervous? Yeah, just a little bit," Smith said, recalling his first time this summer among the hives when he forced himself to go out without any protective suit. "I'm used to it now, I'm kinda settled in."

With tattoos on both forearms and diamond hoops in his ears, he talks of the importance of his tools of the trade and how he can recognize when bees are "having a bad day."

"The program is a good experience, because you're learning respect ... You have to get used to the bees' attitudes and adjust to their emotions," he said. "It's like dealing with people - you have to learn to respect their space."

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.com/index.php?topic=2905.0;wap2

I was wondering if anyone had any similar tales ? Something that can re-empower convicted persons and help set them up for practical and healthy life on the "outside"

riverflow

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    No, but certainly a needed endeavor. I had a cousin who went to prison. Not sure for what, but probably drugs. 2 years. When he got out he couldn't get a job as a cook if he said on his application that he was an ex-con, and when he omitted that and they eventually found out (and they always did), he'd get fired. A vicious circle.
    riverflow
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    vinlyn said:

No, but certainly a needed endeavor. I had a cousin who went to prison. Not sure for what, but probably drugs. 2 years. When he got out he couldn't get a job as a cook if he said on his application that he was an ex-con, and when he omitted that and they eventually found out (and they always did), he'd get fired. A vicious circle.

Yeah! That is wild. My friend's restaurant would hire people who had been through incarceration and that is one of a few rare places I have heard of. It is inspiring, on the off hand, that there are people working to help change things. Alas, much more realistic to change ones' own views than everyone else's -- but that is actually the best part. We all hold the beautiful boundless brush of infinity in every moment :)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    vinlyn said:

sova said:

vinlyn said:

Yeah! That is wild. My friend's restaurant would hire people who had been through incarceration and that is one of a few rare places I have heard of. It is inspiring, on the off hand, that there are people working to help change things. Alas, much more realistic to change ones' own views than everyone else's -- but that is actually the best part. We all hold the beautiful boundless brush of infinity in every moment :)
    There are some valid serious concerns for business owners to hire persons convicted of crimes not only in risk of hurting the company but also of the image the company portrays to it's customers. As a business owner myself(photography business) and for a bit of an off topic example If I were to hire someone even as a basic assistant, I could not see myself hiring someone who has lots of tattoos or piercings etc because I need to maintain a professional image.

that being said it is good for those who do give people chances. of course these days with the government the way it is and all the silly laws, people can have a conviction for stuff that shouldn't even be a crime. Which is why it is good for some employers to at least talk to the person about the crime instead of just throwing out the application. In a day where there are more people looking for work then jobs though, I can see that there would be enough qualified people without a conviction to look into someone who has one, even if its for driving with a suspended license.

in my years of CPS I've worked with many people who've been convicted and I've seen their struggles, it certainly does not help to have a record however the state these days provides lots of help through one stop career centers and the like. I do feel that those who REALLY do want to turn their lives around will do it with their own hard work and determination, regardless of the obstacles, because that's how people succeed in the first place.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Oh, I agree. I guess what I would like is for Americans to realize that we don't believe that after prison that someone has paid their debt to society. Far from it. I think Americans have become obsessed with punishment.
    riverflowMaryAnnerobot
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    awesome link. arigato lobster-chan :)