Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Death in the Middle East

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
The news has just come through that President Saddam Hussein has been found guilty at his trial. No surprise there, then.

Alas, not enough Iraqis have died so he and his co-conspirators have been sentenced to death.

Without wishing to upset those members who come from those backward-looking places which still slaughter convicted criminals. I would ask all those who hold to the Buddha's precept not to take life to join me in prayer and petition that the 'Coalition of the Willing' may show their humanity and bring pressure to bear on the Iraqi authorities to commute this sentence. Mr Hussein could become a symbol of rebuilding were he put to work rather than being reduced to ashes.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Hm... this is one of the things that makes practicing buddhism a bit diffucult (for me), but you are right, Simon.

I'll pray with you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    There was a "joke" that went the rounds when Eichmann was sentenced to death in 1961. Eichmann was the orchestrator of the Nazi's infamous Final Solution and was seized by the Israelis from his hiding place in Argentina, tried in Jerusalem and sentenced to hang, which he did, on May 31, 1962.

The "joke" went like this: Having been sentenced to death, Adolf Eichmann asks to become a Jew. He does all the necessary, is circumcised and, a day or two before his execution, becomes a Jew. His last words, as the trap drops on the scaffold are: "One more!"

As my Yorkshire friends would say: "Think on!"
    edited November 2006
    Olivia,

Thank you.
  • edited November 2006
    The news has just come through that President Saddam Hussein has been found guilty at his trial. No surprise there, then.

Alas, not enough Iraqis have died so he and his co-conspirators have been sentenced to death.

Without wishing to upset those members who come from those backward-looking places which still slaughter convicted criminals. I would ask all those who hold to the Buddha's precept not to take life to join me in prayer and petition that the 'Coalition of the Willing' may show their humanity and bring pressure to bear on the Iraqi authorities to commute this sentence. Mr Hussein could become a symbol of rebuilding were he put to work rather than being reduced to ashes.

Hi, Simon.

How are you? It's been awhile.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand....

I have to say that considering the atrocities that Saddam Hussein committed, it is a mite hard for me to pray for for Mr. Hussein's sentence to be changed from death. Upon reflection, though, and since I am a Buddhist, I shall join you in prayer about this. If Mr. Hussein could be used as a symbol of rebuilding as you put it instead of being reduced to ashes, then I think that would be a good start. Your post has also caused me to reflect on my own needs for attitude change. That's a good thing, too. Thank you.

Adiana:usflag:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'm with you on this one, Simon. No good can come of this.

::
    edited November 2006
    It does my heart good to know that there are others who are prepared to forego vengeance in favour of rebuilding.
  • edited November 2006
    Then here's another one for ya!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I am with you 100% on this, Simon. I have lost count of the times I have been flamed on other fora for advocating non-violence and compassion in the ongoing events in Iraq.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    My logic is that no matter who, no matter what, execution is not justifiable. As a Buddhist, the Precept 'Do no harm and refrain from killing', doesn't have the adenda 'except for....'
    Like it or not, there are, and can be no exceptions. The Buddha gave us recommendations, not suggestions.....

Count me in Simon.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm with you Simon.

Martin.
  • edited November 2006
    Pardon my ignorance, but is the main point is to see Saddam allowed to remain alive while at the same time encouraged to repent?

But to me, how are we to know if he really is genuinely repenting or must we open our hearts and look beyond the dark persona and see his good side, that maybe he really is willing to repent?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Well, I live in a country where the death penalty is the ultimate punishment for a great crime. Always, I have been against it, as I see most murderers, kidnappers, and all the "sinners" repenting upon seeing the tears on the eyes of their loved ones when the verdict is passed, and they know that they will have to face the gallows soon.

But even on this issue, which I have once dwelled upon, I cannot decide if I want Saddam to live, or him to die to appease the thousands of Iraqis who expect his death - as a Buddhist, and also as an individual.

I am wondering, if this might help my thought processes, the value of repentance- if Saddam, instead of being commuted and have him repent after it all, were to have his sins commuted in the medium-term, then repent sincerely, only to at the very end, willingly walk up to the gallows and asked to be hanged for his past.

My question:If in some other parallel world with different laws, the judge states that he is to be hanged, but only after realising his faults and repent for them. How will this change the entire value of his repentance?

Back into our own world, even for the deadliest and most foolhardy of all criminals who will never repent, must we spare them the death sentence, when their very existence alone threatens an entire society's cohesion, and their mere thoughts are filled with deep hatred, greed and ignorance?

This reminds me of one of the Buddha's past lives, where the Buddha had been on-board this ship, and he uncovered this plot by this evil man who was conspiring to murder all the other merchants on-board the ship and loot their valuables all away.

To save this man from all the "bad karma" he would be responsible for for killing the hundreds, the Buddha made a move first. Before the evil man could even start on his massacre, he took matters into his own hands to kill the former himself, in an attempt to rather place the "bad karma" of one murder onto the Buddha himself, than to have that man carry the "bad karma" of a hundred murders onto the latter for many lifetimes.

Food for thought. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Where there's life there's hope.
  • edited November 2006
    I am with you on this as well, Simon.
    edited November 2006
    Saddam Hussein's "repentance" is not the issue here, I believe. That is between him and his conscience. What matters to me is the signal that is sent out to the world by the sentence. 'Judicial murder' or capital punishment of, for example, a judge who was carrying out the laws passed by the legislature, as in this case, sends a message of "victor's justice" which is simply expediency and revenge whitewashed.

Putting thse criminals to work, perhaps in the refugee camps or the hospitals as porters, would impose benificent actions on them.

Ajani: we have similar myths in the Christian body of stories. I find them repellent because they suggest that a person's future is fixed and the 'good' intervene by breaking their own rules. This is an example of the maxim that something is good or bad because a particular saint/god/angel/bodhisattva does it or refuses to do it, rather than based on underlying moral imperatives. Imagine that you or your child is the person thus slain because, at some time in the future, they might act badly... is this the sort of metaphysical world you want to inhabit?

I shall be spending an hour in meditation and ritual tomorrow, from noon GMT, including a memorial of the Last Supper, for the commutation of all capital sentences handed down and not yet carried out. May I join the names of all of you who have responded here in my offering?

• PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited November 2006
    May I join the names of all of you who have responded here in my offering?

By all means, Simon. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Big 10-4 on that one, SithePi....

I've started a new thread, too.....
  • edited November 2006
    May I join the names of all of you who have responded here in my offering?
    Certainly! :)
  • edited November 2006
    Of course, Simon.

On the question of Saddam's "repentance" I have little hope that he will "repent". Though it's worth nothing that in what we in the UK call the "troubles" in Northern Ireland, a number of IRA terrorists did become convinced whilst in prison that there was a better way than killing and became influential voices in the "Peace Process" there, so there is always hope. But if killing is "wrong", not compassionate, or simply unskillful, it's wrong, not compassionate and unskillfull whatever the state of mind of our victim, surely?

Besides which, is it more likely that Saddam's supporters will think (a) Oh well, Saddam has been executed, best we pack the killing in and take part in the democratic process; or (b) Saddam is a martyr whose death needs to be avenged or exploited for propoganda purposes to incite more to kill and maim?

Shakespeare wrote "We but teach bloody instructions which, being taught, Return to plague the inventor, This even handed justice, commends the ingriedients of our posioned challice, To our own lips". Iraq suggests to me that this is as true as ever.

Martin.
  • edited November 2006
    Absolutely, Simon.
  • edited November 2006
    Please count me in as well, Good Pilgrim.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited November 2006
    I will also pray.
  • edited November 2006
    I too will join you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Me too, Simon. Fully and without reservation.
    edited November 2006
    I have been asked, by friends around the world who will be joining us in this small ritual, what, precisely, I intend to do. Here is the "Order of Sevice" that I have put together. I am being joined by half a dozen friends and family:

Preparing the table, lighting the candles and incense, laying out the offerings.
    (Music: Officium Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble)

"Introit" or opening invocation:
    "With clasped hands I entreat the perfectly Enlightened Ones who stand in all regions that they kindle the lamp of the Law for those who in their blindness fall into sorrow.
    With clasped hands I pray the Conquerors who yearn for the Stillness (Nirvana) that they abide here for endless aeons, lest this world become blind.
    In reward for all the righteousness that I may have won by my works may I become a soother of all the sorrows of all creatures.
    May I be a balm to the sick, their healer and servant, until sickness never come again; may I quench with rains of food and drink the anguish of hunger and thirst; may I become an unfailing store for the poor, and serve them with manifold things for their need.
    "
    (from The Path of Light - a translation of the Bodhicharyavatara of Santideva by L. D. Barnett)

Silence

Readings: (Each is read, aloud, twice, followed by silence for reflection)
    "Justice is often thought to be the greatest of virtues, but not absolutely, but in relation to our neighbour. And therefore justice is often thought to be the greatest of virtues, and 'neither evening nor morning star' is so wonderful; and proverbially 'in justice is every virtue comprehended'. And it is complete virtue in its fullest sesne beacause it is the actual exercise of complete virtue.(V.1)

The equitable is just - not the legally just but a correction of legal justice. (V.10)"
    (from The Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle - David Ross translation)

"A faithful friend is a secure shelter;
    whoever finds one, finds a treasure.
    A faithful friend is beyond price;
    their is no measure of their worth.
    A faithful friend is an eleixir of life.
    "
    (Ecclesiasticus 6:14-16)
    [Here we name all those who are joining us in spirit and in love]

3.An Ancient Gaelic Prayer

God, omit not this man from Thy covenant,
    And the many evils which he in the body committed,
    That he cannot, this night, enumerate.
    The many evils that he in the body committed,
    That he cannot, this night, enumerate.

Be this soul on Thine own arm, O Christ,
    Thou King of the City of Heaven,
    And since Thine it was, O Christ, to buy the soul,
    At the time of the balancing of the beam,
    At the time of the bringing in the judgment,
    Be it now on Thine own right hand,
    Oh! on Thine own right hand.

And be the holy Michael, king of angels,
    Coming to meet the soul,
    And leading it home
    To the heaven of the Son of God
    The holy Michael, high king of angels,
    Coming to meet the soul,
    And leading it home
    To the heaven of the Son of God.

COMMEMORATION OF THE LAST SUPPER
    Music: Listen by the Monks of Weston Priory
    Text: according to the Didache.
    Followed by silent shared meal, during which The Pairs from the Dhammapada will be read, in turn, aloud, by each person there.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Absolutely beautiful, Simon. Thank you so much for doing all this hard work.

When I was watching the part of Saddam Hussein's trial when the verdict was read and I saw that although he was still defiant, he was also visibly shaken, something opened in me and despite everything I'm aware of that he's perpetrated, I felt very sorry for him. There is something in his eyes that looks clouded and a bit mad and I can't help wondering if he is in possession of all his faculties. I imagined that man being hanged and knew clearly that it will be so very wrong and that as you said, Simon, something much more positive could be accomplished without executing him. It's all so barbaric and shoddy, this dirty vengeance. It's a sorry thing and a shameful missed opportunity. As Fede pointed out in the other thread, where is this so called "modern world" we speak of all the time? Because the whole world IS watching and we are all a part of this mangled "justice", even as disempowered observers. It doesn't take much to revert, does it? This "modern civilization" isn't as stable as we think it is.
  • edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    When I was watching the part of Saddam Hussein's trial when the verdict was read and I saw that although he was still defiant, he was also visibly shaken, something opened in me and despite everything I'm aware of that he's perpetrated, I felt very sorry for him. There is something in his eyes that looks clouded and a bit mad and I can't help wondering if he is in possession of all his faculties.
    It's 'funny' you mention this, Boo... that's exactly how I felt at the time they caught him back in 2003... the pictures where he was unshaved etc. He looked so extremely scared and so unaware what it was all about.

Simon: Thank you for doing this; it was very beautiful indeed.
  • edited November 2006
    I am going to play the Devil's Advocate and say that the entire war was an unnecessary waste of life, and yet, now that we're knee-deep in it, there's no choice but to have Saddam die. The man is no terrorist, but he is a megalomaniac, and quite wily (check out his history as part of the Baath Party when it was underground).

If he is allowed to live, he will work to regain power sooner or later. He has shown himself capable of terrible revenge in the past.

Sorry, but I have to dissent and say that he needs to go. If there were a reliable way to exile him, I would favor that instead, but I am not confident that that would work.

Still, I wish the US didn't have to take such moves in the first place. If only we could have averted this war...
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, but I have to dissent and say that he needs to go. If there were a reliable way to exile him, I would favor that instead, but I am not confident that that would work.

Too bad we don't know how Saddam feels. Maybe to him, death would not be suffering. He always looks like he's suffering when I see him on t.v. Still, I can't advocate Saddam's death sentence, but I do understand the reasons why others are in favor of it.

Whatever our opinions, we all can pray for the end of suffering.
    edited November 2006
    I am going to play the Devil's Advocate and say that the entire war was an unnecessary waste of life, and yet, now that we're knee-deep in it, there's no choice but to have Saddam die. The man is no terrorist, but he is a megalomaniac, and quite wily (check out his history as part of the Baath Party when it was underground).

If he is allowed to live, he will work to regain power sooner or later. He has shown himself capable of terrible revenge in the past.

Still, I wish the US didn't have to take such moves in the first place. If only we could have averted this war...

Welcome, Gerald.

I doubt whether you will fiund many here who support the non-war (It is not a war: our troops are not being paid or taxed as if at war so it can't be) Of course, if it isn't a war, what is it? It ain't chopped liver.

As for Saddam's possibly regaining power, I think that it is a dangerous path to take if we are to punish people for what they might, just possibly, do in the future.

I do accept that there is a deep divide between attitudes on either side of the Atlantic about the death penalty. Perhaps the fact that our continent saw so many millions die in the Twentieth Century War has skewed our perception.

The Buddha and many Buddhist teachers have urged us to see all sentient beings as having been our own mother. I don't enjoy the thought of her standing on a platform, with the rough rope chafing her neck, a bag over her head, her hands pinioned behind her, waiting for the last sound she will hear: the rattle as the trap falls away under her feet. To me, desiring such a fate for any living being is repellent. I must, however, accept that there are many people who want to inflict such things on their brothers and sisters. I pray, regularly, that their eye of compassion may be opened, their heart moved and their stomach turned at the prospect.

It is ironic that we, as Europeans, have forbidden ourselves the luxury of extradicting criminals back to some parts of the USA because they still kill people judicially. Ironic, I say, because some (now obsolete?) US document speaks of a "Right to Life". Ah well! Fine words butter no parsnips.
  • edited November 2006
    do u believe in the greater good? as far as saddam dieing? .. i won't even bring that up about the war.. cus it don't apply
    edited November 2006
    I fear that I have to ask what you mean by "greater good". For me, the good is indivisible so that saving the life of one person or of thousands has the same ethical value. I only realised the truth of this by reflecting on the suggestion, in the story, that it is "better for one person to die for the sake of the people". I couldn't understand why I had a gut reaction of revulsion at the idea. It seems so logical: one person's death against a nations? No contest.

But there is!

The Holy Q'ran (quoted the other day by the Archbishop of Canterbury) speaks of saving one life as saving the world. Each person is a unique universe, of equal value with any other life.
  • edited November 2006
    the 'greater good' is a concept all about:

"the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few" thats from star trek 4.. as i remember

if it comes down to 10 men starving or 1000 men starving.. then the 1000 men live.. thats pretty much what it is. I know there is no indivisable good, but surely those 1000 are a higher priorty

If saddam is allowed to live, the represcussions could affect a lot more than if he died. His living presence could influence more attacks and killings. So in terms of the greater good, Saddam is probably better off dead.
  • edited November 2006
    I know that in countries where Buddhism is dominant death penalities exist. Nevertheless i consider it a blatant breach of the 5 precepts. A death penalty clearly is a bad act that has its roots in hatred, greed and delusion and has to be dismissed as wrong. There is not even an excuse in that case that the killing of the person would save other lives. It simply is bloody revenge in it`s oldest form that merely stills the thirst for blood.

As for the war, it was based on hoaxes and frauds from the beginning, but that is a seperate issue.
    edited November 2006
    Normally, I don't quote from other religious books, but:
    Because of this, we decreed for the Children of Israel that anyone who murders any person who had not committed murder or horrendous crimes, it shall be as if he murdered all the people. And anyone who spares a life, it shall be as if he spared the lives of all the people. (Qur'an 5:32)
    You shall not kill any person - for God has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. If one is killed unjustly, then we give his heir authority to enforce justice. Thus, he shall not exceed the limits in avenging the murder, he will be helped. (Qur'an 17:33)

Although I do not follow the Qur'an, this does help explain to me why Saddam was given the death penalty.
  • edited November 2006
    I`d like to quote the Dhammapada,verse 2

``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who harbour such thoughts hatred is not appeased.

``He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'' in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred is appeased.

Since Saddam obviously is not a threat any more and under control of the victors, I can`t imagine any other motive for death penalty than hatred and delusion. People in favor of it are likely to accumulate some kamma for animal or hell realms.
    edited November 2006
    I know that in countries where Buddhism is dominant death penalities exist.

Yes, that is true. Saddam is not from or in a Buddhist country though. He is in an Islamic country, and it seems that the Qur'an supports death "in the course of justice."
    ...I can`t imagine any other motive for death penalty than hatred and delusion.

It is difficult for me to know in this case whether or not the motives are hatred and delusion. I think that my knowledge of Islam is far too limited to make any sort of conclusion.

I only know that I could not kill this man, and so I pray for an end of suffering for him and all beings.
  • edited November 2006
    Bunny_Here wrote:
    Yes, that is true. Saddam is not from or in a Buddhist country though. He is in an Islamic country, and it seems that the Qur'an supports death "in the course of justice."

It is difficult for me to know in this case whether or not the motives are hatred and delusion. I think that my knowledge of Islam is far too limited to make any sort of conclusion.

I only know that I could not kill this man, and so I pray for an end of suffering for him and all beings.

Where did i write Saddam was in a Buddhist country?

I know where Saddam is, i merely mentioned it because I give my view from a Buddhist standpoint, opssing Death penalty in general, even though it is existent in "buddhist countries", it`s an emphasis that the five percepts are breached by it, no matter where and if a country is buddhist, islamic or marxist. I am not at all interested in political moral philosophy, wetherfrom Quaran or not,I give my view thati consider universal for all senitentbeings.
    edited November 2006
    Where did i write Saddam was in a Buddhist country?

You didn't. I didn't understand why the death penalty in Buddhist countries had anything to do with Saddam.

I didn't mean any offense. I'm sorry for upsetting you.
  • edited November 2006
    No problem, i could have expressed myself clearer:)
    edited November 2006
    I do think that it is worth bearing in mind that the European and US positions on capital punishment are diametrically opposite. Execution is no longer acceptable as a legal sanction in the European Union, being judged to be against human rights.

Here, in the UK, we have media which clamour for the restoration of the death penalty, as do a few MPs. They always say that they are speaking for some mythical 'middle Britain' but it is worthwhile to notice that we have not returned a 'hanging' Parliament since we abandoned the practice nearly 50 years ago.
    edited November 2006
    There was a valuable debate, last night, on BBC Radio 4. It can be heard again, for the next 7 days at:

The Moral Maze
    edited November 2006
    I just finished listening to the debate on the Moral Maze, and I must say that it covered all viewpoints rather well. Thank you for the very informative link Simon.
  • edited November 2006

To me, desiring such a fate for any living being is repellent. I must, however, accept that there are many people who want to inflict such things on their brothers and sisters. I pray, regularly, that their eye of compassion may be opened, their heart moved and their stomach turned at the prospect.

I guess some of us are just cudgel-wielding, blood-thirsty barbarians. :thumbsup:

I agree with what you said regarding the war. Hey, I actually did vote against Bush twice, and I don't think ever recall thinking "Hey, Iraq could sure use some good ol' American intervention". And yet it's happened, and here we are.

With that said I can't change the past (I think I recall the Buddha saying that, oh, a few times) and I can't predict the future. But, if I were deciding Saddam's fate, I think I would still say that he must die. From a conventional, unenlightened, military/strategic point of view, there's no viable alternative.
    edited November 2006
    But, if I were deciding Saddam's fate, I think I would still say that he must die. From a conventional, unenlightened, military/strategic point of view, there's no viable alternative.

Of course there is.
    There is always an alternative to killing someone. It's called NOT killing someone.
    You don't have to be enlightened to have that point of view. And there aresome in the Militia who do not agree he should be executed, so your militaristic comparison is also "flawed".... :)

If there were no alternative, the UK would still have the Death Penalty.
    That said, there is a review in the UK currently, of the sentencing system.

Sentences should reflect the severity of the crime, they should reflect social opinion, they should be a deterrent, and they should provide a rehabilitation of the criminal.

But Death comes to us all.
    What right does anyone have, to bestow that on another human being, ahead of time?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Something I found online...

Source: http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2006/November/theworld_November389.xml&section=theworld
    Dalai Lama wants Saddam spared
    (AFP)

12 November 2006

TOKYO - Tibet’s exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama appealed on Sunday for Saddam Hussein’s life to be spared, saying the deposed Iraqi president was not beyond redemption.

“The death penalty is said to fulfil a preventive function, yet it is clearly a form of revenge,” the Nobel peace laureate told reporters as he ended a two-week visit to Japan.

“However horrible an act a person may have committed, everyone has the potential to improve and correct himself,” he said.

“I hope that in the case of Saddam Hussein, as with all others, that human life will be respected and spared.”

An Iraqi court sentenced Saddam, ousted in a US-led invasion in 2003, to hang on November 5 for the deaths of 148 Shiites in an Iraqi village in 1982, after an attempt to assassinate him.

Iraq’s Prime Minister Nuri Al Maliki has said he expected Saddam to be hanged before the end of the year.

The Dalai Lama has been critical of the US-led invasion of Iraq despite his relationship with US President George W. Bush, who has met with him in defiance of China.

China, which sent troops into Tibet in 1950, accuses the Buddhist monk of being a “splittist” and opposes his frequent travels overseas.

The Dalai Lama has said he was seeking greater autonomy for the Himalayan region within China and opposed all forms of violence. He fled into exile in India in 1959.
  • edited November 2006
    i agree that no-one truelly deserves death.. but no one can measure or proove that ppl have changed, Saddam will never be able to lead a normal life. And hes gotta make the change, i don't think they will let him live even if he did change, the trial is over.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    When I first heard he was captured I was chatting with a Christian friend of mine, and since I'm very open with this friend, I told her that I don't want Saddam to be executed. They breathed a e-sigh of relief, and they were excited to hear someone else shared the same opinion (I was relieved too.)

This aspect of Buddhism against the taking of life in general is the most attractive part to me. When I was very young, and had taken to the habit of killing bugs my grandpa asked me "how would you like it if a giant decided to step on you?" I then visualized a giant foot coming down to crush me, and thought about how much that would hurt. Now I don't kill bugs. After that, and over time I have developed the belief that no life should be taken.

I wouldn't want someone to kill me, so I'm not going to kill/support the death of anyone.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Once I heard a good teaching on karma to the effect that wouldn't it be nice if you could experience the karma of your actions at the same time we were doing them, like stepping on a bug and at the same time experiencing your rib cage being crushed!

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    They will create a martyr, more dangerous for being dead rather than living to atone in any way at all:

Saddam's letter on his upcoming slaying by the Iraqi state