Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This global warming is really getting out of hand!

A team of global warming believing scientists on a ship to study the apocalyptic ice melt get stranded in thicker than expected
Ice. Mother nature, you crack me up!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531159/Antarctic-crew-build-ice-helipad-help-rescuers.html
EvenThirdThailandTom

Comments

• Yeah, I know it gives the people stupid enough to deny global warming the warm fuzzies. You can try to explain about the difference between local weather and global weather and how overall warming causes more extreme and unusual weather including cold spells, but they don't want to hear it.
    MaryAnneperson
  • A FABULOUS film that documents the effects of global warming on glaciers around the world is "Chasing Ice". Available on DVD. Not only is the overall warming causing glaciers to melt faster, but air pollution that gets deposited on the glaciers causes an additional mechanism that accelerates glacial melting. All is captured and explained on film.
    MaryAnne
  • Dakini said:

A FABULOUS film that documents the effects of global warming on glaciers around the world is "Chasing Ice". Available on DVD. Not only is the overall warming causing glaciers to melt faster, but air pollution that gets deposited on the glaciers causes an additional mechanism that accelerates glacial melting. All is captured and explained on film.

Yea I have heard about this, pollution and also natural greenhouse gases that are trapped in the ice get released when it melts, thus just pumping up the cycle even more.

I think it is safe to say that the weather is changing on a global scale, this year it snowed in Vietnam for instance, also in Jerusalem which has not happened for over a century. Here in Thailand it is cool enough for me to not have any fan or air con system on, and just to explain in the 4 years I have been here, I have not been inside day or night without one of them operating. People in the North were welcomed to frost and on the news you saw Thais with jacks stood in fields taking close up photographs of the frost lol.

So I think yes it is obvious that things are changing and people agree that sea levels are going to rise, we also know that the planet goes through cycles and change anyway but the question is how much are we helping it along?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Gee, Tom, according to the news stories, looks pretty hot over in Bangkok right now. :p
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I just read a Chinese report that 3.3 million hectares of it's arable land are now too poisoned with industrial waste to grow edible crops. Unofficial reports peg that number up to 24.
    Way to go humans in preparing for the potential catastrophic changes ahead of us.
  • vinlyn said:

Gee, Tom, according to the news stories, looks pretty hot over in Bangkok right now. :p

I thought the Yellow shirts would all go home for NYE like every Thai seems to do and cause the deadliest time of the year for traveling on the roads, like every year, but they haven't! They are still there daily rallying, crazy. Seriously though it has been around 22-25 degrees C where I am and yea that isn't cold but because I am accustom to the climate now, I have gotten ill and it does feel cold. Like I have to wear socks at night and stuff.

@how have you heard about the soil in Tokyo? An American scientist took 5 soil samples from various places around the city and found that they are at similar radioactive levels to that of radioactive waste. Samples taken from parks, next to a school etc. And why? Well Fukushima is why, and yet it is still getting played down by the media. It is already worse in comparison to Chernobyl yet who is giving it a second glance?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @ThailandTom
    I have friends who take personal Geiger counters to Japan on business trips that tell me distressing things about their market vegetable counts.
    The gulf stream cycles by Fukushima and continues all the way over to my kayaking waters off my own backyard carrying visable tsunami debris.
  • how said:

@ThailandTom
    I have friends who take personal Geiger counters to Japan on business trips that tell me distressing things about their market vegetable counts.
    The gulf stream cycles by Fukushima and continues all the way over to my kayaking waters off my own backyard carrying visable tsunami debris.

That's quite shocking, actually having tsunami debris end up, it has a kind of really notion to it. I have heard that radiation has already swept over the US several days after the reactors actually blew up. The stuff is being released in 2 ways, into the ocean and the other of course the jet streams. Off topic much.