Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are all virtuous and non-virtuous actions we do including dharma practice motivated by delusions

edited January 2014 in General Banter
Are all virtuous and non-virtuous actions we do including dharma practice motivated by our strong and powerful delusions - ?????

Comments

• How could we know?
    Seriously, I guide my actions but I can't know if my reasons are delusional or not, can I?
  • Sometimes people get sunk too deep inside their head when they contemplate the Dharma. Our minds become like a series of infinite mirrors, where we watch our self while the self looks back and we try to decide which one is us and which is illusion. We get caught up in these "Is this action a result of desire, and isn't the desire not to desire another desire?" recursive thoughts. Sounds like this question is one of those.

We are motivated by many things, but eventually it comes down to sense of self. If there is an action, someone has to make the decision to act. We can act to avoid pain or seek happiness or contentment or our of responsibility, but in the end all actions are "selfish" in that manner.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Is it delusion that makes us aware of the suffering of others and the desire to help?
    sova
  • In a word, yes, but some delusions are more skillful than others. The trick is to keep replacing clumsy delusions with more skillful ones, which tend to be simpler. The theory is that in the end, you realize you can do without them altogether.
    lobstersovaInvincible_summeranataman
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Virtuous ones, not necessarily. Non-virtuous ones, yes.
    lobster
  • samdiner said:

Are all virtuous and non-virtuous actions we do including dharma practice motivated by our strong and powerful delusions - ?????

Yes

once one sees what is delusion one sees all virtuous and non-virtuous actions we do including dharma practice motivated by our strong and powerful delusion

but

until then we must avoid non-virtuous actions and cultivate virtuous action

why

virtuous actions lead 'us' to see the 'Delusion' or our Ignorance
    :)
    lobsteranataman
  • upekka said:

samdiner said:

Yes

once one sees what is delusion one sees all virtuous and non-virtuous actions we do including dharma practice motivated by our strong and powerful delusion

but

why

In the main. It's gets tricky when deciding what are virtuous and non virtuous actions.

There is not even a consensus among Buddhist traditions.
    For example, this weekend in hundreds of Buddhist centres people will eat meat and drink alcohol as part of their virtuous activities.
    Other Buddhists will view that as delusional and see their denouncing it as virtuous.
    If you encounter a person starving of hunger and you give them some food and help them, so they don't suffer and die, this could be called a "virtuous action".

How is this action motivated by delusion? :scratch:
    lobster
  • Citta said:

upekka said:

samdiner said:

Yes

but

why

In the main. It's gets tricky when deciding what are virtuous and non virtuous actions.

There is not even a consensus among Buddhist traditions.
    For example, this weekend in hundreds of Buddhist centres people will eat meat and drink alcohol as part of their virtuous activities.
    Other Buddhists will view that as delusional and see their denouncing it as virtuous.
    simple

what is good for you but not good for others is non-virtuous
    what is good for others but not good for you is non-virtuous
    what is neither good for you nor good for others is non-virtuous
    what is good for you and good for others is virtuous

• seeker242 said:

If you encounter a person starving of hunger and you give them some food and help them, so they don't suffer and die, this could be called a "virtuous action".

virtuous but with delusion
    so one is still in samsara

• upekka said:

seeker242 said:

the above action is delusional
    because
    one thinks 'I' help 'Him'

instead

have the knowledge of
    causes/ conditions and effects (Hetu/Prathya and Pala)

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am not so sure what is a virtuous action & what is not.. beyond asking if it leads to compassion, love & wisdom or
    greed hate & delusion.
    My answer to the question as to how delusive or not an action is ,
    refers to how selfless or self oriented the action is.

anataman
  • Delusions have no essence. So to have them is an illusion in itself. Once the lack of essence is realized then they just fall apart. But nagarjuna proved that the kleshas are essenceless.
    Cittaanataman
    edited January 2014
    upekka said:

upekka said:

seeker242 said:

the above action is delusional
    because
    one thinks 'I' help 'Him'

instead

have the knowledge of
    causes/ conditions and effects (Hetu/Prathya and Pala)

What about when there is no thought or notion of "I" help "him", and no perception of "helping" either but simply the handing over of food to the hungry person? Which of course it obviously helpful to a person that is starving.

• What about when there is no thought or notion of "I" help "him", and no perception of "helping" either but simply the handing over of food to the hungry person?
    answer depends on three things
    whether one is worldling (puthajjana), Noble person (stream entry/ once returner/non-returner) or Araht

if one is worldling even one think there is no thought or notion of 'I' help 'him' there is built-in (habitual) 'I' and 'him' with that meritorious deed (there is kamma and kamma vipaka)

if one is Noble but not mindful one is again habitual 'I' and 'him' with that meritorious deed (there is kamma and kamma vipaka)

for Arahat the deed is just a deed there is no merit

Which of course it obviously helpful to a person that is starving.

definetely
    lobster
  • upekka said:

What about when there is no thought or notion of "I" help "him", and no perception of "helping" either but simply the handing over of food to the hungry person?
    whether one is worldling (puthajjana), Noble person (stream entry/ once returner/non-returner) or Araht

if one is worldling even one think there is no thought or notion of 'I' help 'him' there is built-in (habitual) 'I' and 'him' with that meritorious deed (there is kamma and kamma vipaka)

if one is Noble but not mindful one is again habitual 'I' and 'him' with that meritorious deed (there is kamma and kamma vipaka)

definetely

That is model some find useful...puthajjana/ stream returner et
    It does not feature in Dzogchen.
  • answer depends on three things
    Here is the 'answer' expressed as a single non scripture sculpture:

Man hungry = Feed Man.
    . . . I am obviously such a beginner. :o
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

<

Well, OK, but maybe you could tell us what does feature in Dzogchen?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am not being precious when I say that I can't actually. Not because it's it's a big secret, it isn't. dzogchen is not the Masons, But because it comes as a package and the only way to receive teachings is in within a formal relationship.
    Citta said:

I am not being precious when I say that I can't actually. Not because it's it's a big secret, it isn't. dzogchen is not the Masons, But because it comes as a package and the only way to receive teachings is in within a formal relationship.

So you're not allowed to talk about Dzogchen teachings? That makes for a very one-sided conversation.
    Vastmind
  • doesn't it .
    If you are interested you could try www.vajracakra.com where some members sail as close to the wind as is possible in a public forum.
    Citta said:

doesn't it .
    If you are interested you could try www.vajracakra.com where some members sail as close to the wind as is possible in a public forum.

It's OK, I was involved in a Dzogchen tradition for 10 years and there are people I could ask. I was more interested in hearing your personal perspective on it.
  • I don't have one.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ' All I know is that if it's secret... and it's elite, it can't be good.'
    --Skulls

Just always been my take on this subject of hushness....
    Feel free to disagree... :D
    Citta said:

I don't have one.

Everybody does.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Vastmind said:

' All I know is that if it's secret... and it's elite, it can't be good.'
    --Skulls

Just always been my take on this subject of hushness....
    Feel free to disagree... :D

It's not secret. Nor is it elite. Anyone can join the Dzogchen Community.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014

Citta said:

I don't have one.

Everybody does.
    Sorry to disappoint.
    My intention on joining the thread was to point out the demonstrable fact that despite an in~built assumption among some western Buddhists, not all schools of Dharma assume a framework of the precepts. much of Dzogchen does not. Much of the Vajrayana does not. Much of Zen does not.
    edited January 2014
    ^^^ Maybe better to explain than to push under the rug. And yes...I am
    aware than anyone can join. That wasn't really my point...Why get into
    conversations when you have certain conditions/knowledge that the other
    person might not.... correcting...or teaching?

I also understand not all use it for a teaching curriculum....but I think the
    framework is present.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    nearly all of our actions are motivated by or rooted from the three great roots, attachment, aversion, or ignorance.

now the Buddha talks about actions that are NOT rooted in those three. These are actions we can perform however the mindset and intention have to be in a correct place for it to be free of ignorance.

the opposite of attachment, aversion and ignorance? detachment, acceptance, and wisdom of course.

or more common word usage are greed, hatred and delusion(which sort of like Dukkha being translated as suffering, are just horrid uses), which are eradicated by deeds stemming from non-greed(generosity), non-hatred(metta), and wisdom.

here is a good sutta - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.033.than.html

Nidana Sutta: Causes

"Any action performed with greed — born of greed, caused by greed, originating from greed: wherever one's selfhood turns up, there that action will ripen. Where that action ripens, there one will experience its fruit, either in this very life that has arisen or further along in the sequence.

"Any action performed with aversion — born of aversion, caused by aversion, originating from aversion: wherever one's selfhood turns up, there that action will ripen. Where that action ripens, there one will experience its fruit, either in this very life that has arisen or further along in the sequence.

"Any action performed with delusion — born of delusion, caused by delusion, originating from delusion: wherever one's selfhood turns up, there that action will ripen. Where that action ripens, there one will experience its fruit, either in this very life that has arisen or further along in the sequence.

"Any action performed with non-greed — born of non-greed, caused by non-greed, originating from non-greed: When greed is gone, that action is thus abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.

"Any action performed with non-aversion — born of non-aversion, caused by non-aversion, originating from non-aversion: When aversion is gone, that action is thus abandoned, destroyed at the root, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.

"Any action performed with non-delusion — born of non-delusion, caused by non-delusion, originating from non-delusion: When delusion is gone, that action is thus abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.
    Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I thought I explained why i posted to the thread. Because once more on N.B. an assertion was made assuming that all schools approach Sila via the precepts. And it is not so.
    They have not been overlooked or mislaid. They simply do not feature.
    One of the issues is the way that all traditions came west in a heap.
    This has led to a situation whereby all traditions tend to be seen
    through particular lenses. Particularly that of the Theravada and by extension the Buddhism of the Pali Canon, which does not contribute at all to much of the Vajrayana And hardly at all to Dzogchen.
    It is frequently a surprise, even a shock when there is a realistation that the Buddha of Dzogchen is not Shakyamuni.
    Gotcha.
    You have lenses too.....no?
    You have assertions too...no?

I sure must like you...hahaha....I'm always happy to
    see you return here...then we go in circles...hahaha
    May we continue to learn and laugh together. :)
  • glad to be of service.
  • Citta said:

upekka said:

What about when there is no thought or notion of "I" help "him", and no perception of "helping" either but simply the handing over of food to the hungry person?

definetely

That is model some find useful...puthajjana/ stream returner et
    forget the models for a moment

do you (we) have anything other than our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body and mind?
    can we get any experience without these six senses?

whenever we get an experience through our eyes, we say 'we' see 'something'
    where is 'we' or 'something' apart from the eye contact the colour and the mind know it?

this is called 'seeing'
    not 'I see something'

try to grasp the above meaning

it is up to you to check the above and try to see the same with other sense bases

no need to believe in stream entry etc.

you will see what is delusion
    how quickly you would see depends on how often you would do this and how long you have been doing this in your previous births

once 'we' see what delusion is 'we' do not have to depend on 'he says, she says' or 'according to this tradition, according to that tradition'
    because
    Truth is Truth
    howlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    HEY! Upekka
    Next ya be mocking all the identity I hold, in safekeeping the light and way of the Buddha's truth that makes my school special over all others.
    lobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    If you hide the truth from those who need it. You are being self- delusive!

Dzogchen; zazen; dog chain..... Whatever!!!!

Geddit, get it!

Delusion is the creation of your mind. Let's start again. 4NT. The rest is up to you.
    how
  • forget the models for a moment
    :thumbup:

OK.

Now?
    For ever?
    Too long?

I love it when a plan comes together.
    Hannibal Smith
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    anataman said:

If you hide the truth from those who need it. You are being self- delusive!

Dzogchen; zazen; dog chain..... Whatever!!!!

Geddit, get it!

Delusion is the creation of your mind. Let's start again. 4NT. The rest is up to you.

Another day, another Ego claims another facet of the same truth to call it's own.

anataman
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Are secrets always negative? For example there is nuclear proliferation. There is also mass hysteria.

Incidentally I am not too familiar with Dzogchen though a little familiar with Mahamudra.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Are secrets always negative? For example there is nuclear proliferation. There is also mass hysteria.

Incidentally I am not too familiar with Dzogchen though a little familiar with Mahamudra.

Perhaps a practice of self discovery is different than the release of info that leads to nuclear proliferation.
    Perhaps if mass hysteria is a secret, it's can't be called mass hysteria.

Perhaps holding a "secret teaching" is a lure that holds a students attention or gives a sect the justification to consider itself special....
    but
    after seeing copious amounts of delusion over the years sported as an exclusive truth,
    I support complete disclosure as a matter of respect for all Buddhist practitioners.
    anataman
  • If you entertain the assumption that tummo is dangerous would you change your tune @how?

Do you know for certain that the techniques are not dangerous?

A fireman is trained to fight a fire. But if I read up on fires in the internet and then start trying to fight them I won't make it very far. That is just to illustrate my thinking, obviously the fire fighter analogy is lacking in total proof. It is just a way to shine light on the matter.

So. Do you accept that tummo "may" be dangerous?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jeffrey said:

If you entertain the assumption that tummo is dangerous would you change your tune @how?

Do you know for certain that the techniques are not dangerous?

A fireman is trained to fight a fire. But if I read up on fires in the internet and then start trying to fight them I won't make it very far. That is just to illustrate my thinking, obviously the fire fighter analogy is lacking in total proof. It is just a way to shine light on the matter.

So. Do you accept that tummo "may" be dangerous?

I think you are giving me more credit than I deserve.

I guess the question is if it is more dangerous for everyone as a secret as opposed to being in the public domain,
    and if it is a likely practice for Joe Blo to become accomplished enough in to make dangerous, what fool developed it, when the rest of the Buddha's teachings do perfectly well in the open while safeguarding everyone's safety.

• well what a lot of prapanca this has generated !

Clearly it needs saying again, there is nothing secret ' about :Dzogchen. its freely available.
    But it is dependant upon specific structures and processes, and those processes are not posited on the 4 nt or 8fp. This is not a claim to superiority. Merely a claim easily verified.
    Clearly it was a mistake to raise the subject, and I apologise and will not repeat it.

~/\~
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Maybe Buddha developed tummo knowing that it should be secret? Or a subsequent Buddha/bodhisattva introduced, say, tummo.

My teacher's student asked her if she could practice tummo. My teacher said that she couldn't support that student's tummo practice. So the student would be on her own if she practiced something tummo. So as Citta says tummo isn't hidden. Just not all teachers will teach it. I think that would fit in with my assertion that it is dangerous.

You seem to imply that it was a foolish choice to insert a dangerous practice into Buddhism. I don't know if the Buddha taught it (with oral tradition of teacher/student) or if it was later added. But the draw to teaching the dangerous methods is to more rapidly attain enlightenment.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Citta said:

well what a lot of prapanca this has generated !

Clearly it needs saying again, there is nothing secret ' about :Dzogchen. its freely available.
    But it is dependant upon specific structures and processes, and those processes are not posited on the 4 nt or 8fp. This is not a claim to superiority. Merely a claim easily verified.
    Clearly it was a mistake to raise the subject, and I apologise and will not repeat it.

~/\~

Ok by me because your use of the sanskrit word Prapancha as "stories we make up about situations", was perfect!

• Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Citta said:

well what a lot of prapanca this has generated !

~/\~

Dzogchen the new Trungpa?

"Give up negative actions, practice virtue and develop mastery over the mind." - Shakyamuni

"Thought arises, remain present in that state - if no thought arises, remain present in that state; there is no difference in these states." - Garab Dorje

I am not too familiar with Dzogchen, though from what I understand the teachings pre-date Buddhism in Tibet.

Anyway, I think some of the differences between Sutrayana, Tantrayana and Dzogchen lie in how the relative is dealt with, Sutrayana renounces the relative, Tantrayana embraces the relative and Dzogchen, not sure it matters.

Anyhow, not sure how much is secret as withheld and how much is secret in that you wouldn't understand without the teaching.

You can give someone a car and not teach them how to drive but, that might not be too safe.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    A teaching is a teaching and a Practice a practice.

When does a student know that they have learned enough to become a teacher?

When the teacher realizes they are still just a student!

Tada

Back to the cushion. Smile on face.
  • This question reminds me of a talk I once had the dumb luck to be present at given by Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche in which he commented on the Uttaratantra Shastra (spelling?). A point that stuck with me is that the reason most sentient beings feel remorse at non-virtuous actions (when they recognize them as such) is because of the presence of Buddha Nature. If it weren't for this inherent wisdom "the whole place would be in flames" , to quote Robert Thurman.

You raise an interesting point in regard to how utterly confused the majority of sentient beings are. The teachings often describe the rarity of a sentient being encountering the Dharma and I feel you touch on this. Trungpa Rinpoche mentions briefly in his book "Crazy Wisdom" that the workings of karma are so complex that encountering the Dharma more or less happens by accident.

May we remember this and use it as
    fuel for our practice and as motivation to help beings in whatever limited way we can.

Great question. Thank you.