Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anapanasati sutta - how to focus on natural breathing?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited January 2014 in Meditation
hi all,

Anapanasati sutta says to watch the breath, as it normally happens, but not to manipulate the breath.

my problem is - whenever i sit and try to watch my breath, almost all the time, what happens is my observing of my breath manipulates the breath, even if i do not wish to change my breath in most of the occasions.

so what to do - how to observe natural breathing, without changing it? please suggest. thanks in advance.

Comments

• You don't observe the breath - if you did, there would be a distinction between observer and the thing observed (in this case, breath). Instead, you breathe consciously - then no duality.
    lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    It's perfectly OK to know you are affecting your breathing while you are focusing upon it. You can still focus on the breathing. At the same time, try to 'let go' of controlling the breathing. You'll feel your body getting ready to take the next breath, and then it will breathe in. You'll feel the body getting ready to let the breath out, and it will let it out.

I find myself going between this regular, deliberate breathing pattern and letting go of it over and over. I'll realize I'm breathing in a pattern, and then let go of the pattern. It's kind of subtle and hard to explain :-/ but I go back and forth. I don't get too worried about it, it's not like you can do it 'wrong' and screw up your whole life and meditation practice forever lol!

Gassho :)
    lobstermisecmisc1
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

You don't observe the breath - if you did, there would be a distinction between observer and the thing observed (in this case, breath). Instead, you breathe consciously - then no duality.

how come, breathing consciously shows no duality? rather, breathing consciously, as it seems to me, is enforcing duality.

moreover, my understanding says - as per anapanasati sutta, controlled breathing is not to be done, rather natural breathing needs to be done and this natural breathing has just to be observed.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    i recommend doing some gentle/smooth leg stretches before you sit, and be verrrrry delicate in your body movements. "micro movements"

your body is a corpse in a charnel ground. very still and just there. just a frame that's there.

run into the tsunami. accept every wave and with each full long breath (inhale and exhale) practice melting into the space of your winds.

forget what your body looks like and draw your attention gradually to your air passages.. love the process itself
    misecmisc1
  • Hi misecmisc1, consciousness has always been non-dual.

You might want to read this: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2008/09/no-self-nature-of-people-and-things.html

I just typed out and updated it to the latest version from the book
  • Tell yourself that you are NOT meditating and instead of meditation just sit there. When it happens again tell yourself, again, that it is not meditation.
    lobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014

hi all,

Anapanasati sutta says to watch the breath, as it normally happens, but not to manipulate the breath.

my problem is - whenever i sit and try to watch my breath, almost all the time, what happens is my observing of my breath manipulates the breath, even if i do not wish to change my breath in most of the occasions.

so what to do - how to observe natural breathing, without changing it? please suggest. thanks in advance.

You will know when the breath is totally uncontrolled, the first time it happened to me it was amazing.

These days the "natural breath" comes when it wants, and goes when wants. When it comes i observe it, when it goes i observe it.

I learned the hard way not to put so much effort and emphasis and fear on following the breath.. It actually wasnt until i told my breath to "F off" and started not worrying about it that my practice took off.

Now i can put effort in developing concentration on breath and be peaceful and positive about it, took a few years though. I think the key is to be able to put effort into practice without personalizing the effort and being attached to a desired outcome.
    misecmisc1lobstersovaInvincible_summer
    well, i think most of you got what my problem is - but just to clarify so that we are at the same page and to avoid confusion - some background information regarding how i try to meditate(if it can be called meditation, rather than just sitting and thinking).

i started anapanasati sutta - but since my breathing pattern is quite irregular, so i moved to zazen or just sitting method - but then now i have come back to anapanasati sutta, because i think the important thing is that the mind should be with breath till the breath becomes unnoticeable, to have the mind become one-pointed at breath - but this does not seem to happen in coming 100 lifetimes even, the way things are going currently, so i have left this dream that it will ever happen (me sounding like quite a frustrated and depressed person here) - but still i sit daily to meditate trying to observe my natural breathing as it happens - i do not try to conceptualize things, neither i try the counting method, nor i focus on the tip of my nose, rather i try to just know the feeling when breath comes in and goes out - i am not trying to find the complete pathway of the breath flowing in my body, rather i just try to have that knowing that breath comes in my body and goes out of my body. But the problem is the moment i know a breath is coming in my body, something changes the breath and it remains no longer natural. but if i try to focus on something else like not bothered about breath and do zazen, then the breathing happens naturally, but my mind gets lost easily in a few seconds in the thoughts which arise and after few minutes i realize i have been caught in my thoughts and thinking about my thoughts - leading to wasting of my time and eventually the alarm clock rings to end my sitting duration.

any advice on what can be done to improve the situation - in a way, what to do - how to observe natural breathing, without changing it? please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • You need to let go more. Letting go automatically makes you more awake. Don't worry you probably have a lot of time to practice and experiment. Go forward rather than backward. Each meditation period is all we have of the present. Don't let lust for
    other states uproot yourself from the present breath of letting go. It's sounding like the control of your breathing is dismaying for you. What happens if you just stop doing anything? What is this idea that the breath has to be a certain way? Sounds a bit heavy handed the way you are thinking of this one. Still I think the breath should be let be however it is.
    lobstermisecmisc1anataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I think @Chaz has provided good advice.

For many years I would come across the 'relaxing' alternate nostril breathing in yoga. I always felt anxious, distraught, agitated after doing it.
    My bodies breathing pattern was agitated.
    It takes many people years to 'understand' relax whilst doing yoga. It may be calming overall but 'relaxing' into painful asana is something we may have to accept takes time . . . and we must be accepting of the gentleness and of the sensations of disquiet.

In a similar way mind agitation manifests when we bring attention to the bodily breath. That is OK. Part of the reason I am very fond of mantrayana is because the breathing benefits are part of the parcel of improvements . . . however . . . back to the breath . . .

I suggest you 'indulge' in conscious breathing, in a sense you are anyway. What you are having a problem with is control. You are controlling the breath when attending to it and that makes it feel harsh and controlled. It is because you are. So control it consciously, gently with acceptance of its 'unnatural' nature and appearance.

The breath is a great teacher.

If you can manage 108 full prostrations before sitting, gently at a controlled pace, your breathing will be quite fast when you sit to meditate but it will be smoother . . .

Hope that is of use :wave:
    Jeffrey
  • well, i think most of you got what my problem is - but just to clarify so that we are at the same page and to avoid confusion - some background information regarding how i try to meditate(if it can be called meditation, rather than just sitting and thinking).

i started anapanasati sutta - but since my breathing pattern is quite irregular, so i moved to zazen or just sitting method - but then now i have come back to anapanasati sutta, because i think the important thing is that the mind should be with breath till the breath becomes unnoticeable, to have the mind become one-pointed at breath - but this does not seem to happen in coming 100 lifetimes even, the way things are going currently, so i have left this dream that it will ever happen (me sounding like quite a frustrated and depressed person here) - but still i sit daily to meditate trying to observe my natural breathing as it happens - i do not try to conceptualize things, neither i try the counting method, nor i focus on the tip of my nose, rather i try to just know the feeling when breath comes in and goes out - i am not trying to find the complete pathway of the breath flowing in my body, rather i just try to have that knowing that breath comes in my body and goes out of my body. But the problem is the moment i know a breath is coming in my body, something changes the breath and it remains no longer natural. but if i try to focus on something else like not bothered about breath and do zazen, then the breathing happens naturally, but my mind gets lost easily in a few seconds in the thoughts which arise and after few minutes i realize i have been caught in my thoughts and thinking about my thoughts - leading to wasting of my time and eventually the alarm clock rings to end my sitting duration.

any advice on what can be done to improve the situation - in a way, what to do - how to observe natural breathing, without changing it? please suggest. thanks in advance.

Mentally note it. Notice it. Don't follow it. Come back to the breath. Repeat.
  • Or better yet.. Mentally note it. Notice it. Accept it. Let go of it. Don't follow it. Come back to the breath. Repeat.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2014

well, i think most of you got what my problem is - but just to clarify so that we are at the same page and to avoid confusion - some background information regarding how i try to meditate(if it can be called meditation, rather than just sitting and thinking).

Try not to control the breath!

It sounds easier that it appears.
    Why? Because the doer wants control. By relinquishing control, one relinquishes the doer (self). That is part of the mental cultivation.

Be the knower (for now). Don't worry about should or shouldn't this or that. The task is to just observe and do nothing else.

What to observe? Observe the breath. Observe the tendency to control or alter the breath. Observe the thoughts and feelings. Also observe the tendency to get caught up in thoughts. Remind oneself that all these things are not me, not mine. You don't breathe--- the body does. You don't think ---- the mind does.
    misecmisc1Jeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It really just comes with experience. In the meantime focus closely on the actual experience of breathing, eg the air passing the nostrils, the movement of the abdomen and so on.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    OP, don't observe your breathing directly. Observe it while focusing on something else - keep it on the periphery.
  • jlljll Veteran
    almost every beginner faces this problem.

The solution ? just note your breath even though you are controlling it. If you persevere, the problem will go away and you will be able to note your natural breath. Good luck.

hi all,

misecmisc1
    edited January 2014
    hi all,

frankly speaking, i have read many commentaries on different meditations. i have tried both anapanasati and zazen, but somehow i am so confused (you can say this) or so idiot to not even start doing any of these meditations properly - then the other things come up like there is nothing to do in meditation, except observation without judgement - meditation is letting go - theoretically, i understand these things, but practical ground reality, there is no calm in my meditation. i am not able to learn anything from my meditation - monks say that you understand how cause-effect works by carefully observing how the breath and different bodily sensations work out - you can observe the pleasantness in the breath - i am not able to observe any of these things.

what happens when i sit in morning after tea is this - after somehow i settle myself in sitting posture (it is just normal cross-leg sitting, not half-lotus and not full-lotus) and try to have some erectness in the spine and let myself settle in, then relax, then after few seconds i know i am breathing, then after 2 seconds or in even less time, thoughts arise, then i found my head has slightly dropped, then again i have to realign my sitting posture, then again some thoughts come up, i get entangled in it, other times there is slight discomfort due to maintaining the erectness of my spine, so most of the time either i am trying to sit properly or getting caught in thoughts and very less time i am observing my breath as it is happening - the worse thing which happens is when i observe my breath, somehow my breath changes and i feel like it has changed from natural breathing to controlled breathing.

so seems like either i am not made to meditate - or - due to my past karma or my current karma (because of my defilements) i shall not be able to meditate - or - i am doing something terribly wrong in my meditation.

so i will change my question to this question: what is the proper way to start doing anapanasati meditation? please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • so seems like either i am not made to meditate
    Could be.
    So just don't bother. :)
  • Try to meditate while relaxing on a sofa. I am sure you will reach your peaceful mind more easily. Its what psychiatrists and psychologists use for their patients. Once you find your peaceful mind, you can try to get the same mind while sitting full or half lotus. Also try using a theme.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/themes.html
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Meditation performs poorly with micro management. You might want to consider giving up meditation until you are willing to just let it be itself.
    lobsterJeffrey
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    To the OP I l know what you mean. When I first begin to meditate this sometimes happen, but it seems the longer my meditation session goes this tends to naturally fall off to the point where I barely notice my breathing it becomes quite subtle. Put your attention on the mind that notes the breath, I think we can get caught up in the physical mechanics of the breath to our detriment.
    misecmisc1
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Before starting with mental cultivation, it is important to start at the beginning for the path to freedom is the Noble 8FP ie. dana, sila, bhavana (generosity, virtue, "meditation"). What we do in daily life can have profound consequences in the results obtained.
    "For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.002.than.html
    there is slight discomfort due to maintaining the erectness of my spine, so most of the time either i am trying to sit properly or getting caught in thoughts
    There is no problem sitting on a chair or even lying down. You are training to watch the mind and don't need the distractions of an uncomfortable body.
    misecmisc1
    betaboy said:

OP, don't observe your breathing directly.

Not good advice if one is trying to do mindfulness of breathing meditation.
    lobstermisecmisc1
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Maybe you should try using something else to focus on as the breath is a big distraction it seems. A nice picture of Amithabha in the pure land might help.
    anataman said:

Maybe you should try using something else to focus on as the breath is a big distraction it seems. A nice picture of Amithabha in the pure land might help.

Sure, there are many different objects one can focus on. Though the OP was about anapanasati.
  • betaboy said:

You didn't post the whole thing.
    edited January 2014

anataman said:

Sure, there are many different objects one can focus on. Though the OP was about anapanasati.
    Yes but it doesn't seem to be working does it. Or it is not being followed properly - read it it is easy to follow:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html
    Or perhaps a retreat is in order?
    anataman said:

Or perhaps a retreat is in order?

retreat not possible for me in current scenario - no buddhist monastry near by - nor have time to go to a monastry to search for a monk - the only hope i have is information available on internet.
    Oh sorry to hear that. I'm in same situation if that helps! It sounds as if you have got into a habit of not letting go as pointed out above. I'll pm you.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    double
    anataman said:

Yes but it doesn't seem to be working does it. Or it is not being followed properly - read it it is easy to follow:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html

I'm not sure about "easy to follow" - I read 6 or 7 commentaries on the Anapanasati Sutta and they all said different things.
    Invincible_summer
    betaboy said:

betaboy said:

You didn't post the whole thing.
    I was responding to a specific comment you made, which I disagreed with.
    Let's not complicate the passive observation of breathing such that it becomes an object of meditation.

Breathe in

Breathe out

Breathe in

Breathe out

Was I aware of the breathing in the context of a meditative experience or was I watching the breathing hoping it would reveal myself to me?

?

Why does a question mark look like the pierced ear of a Buddha?
  • Here is a descriptive account of anapanasati by a well known teacher.
    The first thing when you're going to meditate on the breath is to sit straight and keep your mindfulness firm. Breathe in. Breathe out. Make the breath feel open and at ease. Don't tense your hands, your feet, or any of your joints at all. You have to keep your body in a posture that feels appropriate to your breathing. At the beginning, breathe in long and out long, fairly heavily, and gradually the breath will shorten — sometimes heavy and sometimes light. Then breathe in short and out short for about 10 or 15 minutes and then change.

After a while, when you stay focused mindfully on it, the breath will gradually change. Watch it change for as many minutes as you like, then be aware of the whole breath, all of its subtle sensations. This is the third step, the third step of the first tetrad: sabba-kaya-patisamvedi — focusing on how the breath affects the whole body by watching all the breath sensations in all the various parts of the body, and in particular the sensations related to the in-and-out breath.

From there you focus on the sensation of the breath at any one point. When you do this correctly for a fairly long while, the body — the breath — will gradually grow still. The mind will grow calm. In other words, the breath grows still together with the awareness of the breath. When the subtleties of the breath grow still at the same time that your undistracted awareness settles down, the breath grows even more still. All the sensations in the body gradually grow more and more still. This is the fourth step, the stilling of bodily formations.

As soon as this happens, you begin to be aware of the feelings that arise with the stilling of the body and mind. Whether they are feelings of pleasure or rapture or whatever, they appear clearly enough for you to contemplate them.

The stages through which you have already passed — watching the breath come in and out, long or short — should be enough to make you realize — even though you may not have focused on the idea — that the breath is inconstant. It's continually changing, from in long and out long to in short and out short, from heavy to light and so forth. This should enable you to read the breath, to understand that there's nothing constant to it at all. It changes on its own from one moment to the next.

Once you have realized the inconstancy of the body — in other words, of the breath — you'll be able to see the subtle sensations of pleasure and pain in the realm of feeling. So now you watch feelings, right there in the same place where you've been focusing on the breath. Even though they are feelings that arise from the stillness of the body or mind, they're nevertheless inconstant even in that stillness. They can change. So these changing sensations in the realm of feeling exhibit inconstancy in and of themselves, just like the breath.

When you see change in the body, change in feelings, and change in the mind, this is called seeing the Dhamma, i.e., seeing inconstancy. You have to understand this correctly. Practicing the first tetrad of breath meditation contains all four tetrads of breath meditation. In other words, you see the inconstancy of the body and then contemplate feeling. You see the inconstancy of feeling and then contemplate the mind. The mind, too, is inconstant. This inconstancy of the mind is the Dhamma. To see the Dhamma is to see this inconstancy.

When you see the true nature of all inconstant things, then keep track of that inconstancy at all times, with every in-and-out breath. Keep this up in all your activities to see what happens next.

What happens next is dispassion. Letting go. This is something you have to know for yourself.

This is what condensed breath meditation is like. I call it condensed because it contains all the steps at once. You don't have to do one step at a time. Simply focus at one point, the body, and you'll see the inconstancy of the body. When you see the inconstancy of the body, you'll have to see feeling. Feeling will have to show its inconstancy. The mind's sensitivity to feeling, or its thoughts and imaginings, are also inconstant. All of these things keep on changing. This is how you know inconstancy...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/kee/condensed.html
    Jeffreymisecmisc1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    “At times, clarity and emptiness become nakedly vivid, and there is certainty in this state. At other times it seems dark, foggy, and dull and you may even wonder, ‘What has happened to my meditation?’ As all these are the ups and downs of experiences, maintain them with neither acceptance nor rejection.”

~'facebook guy's' post
  • meditation is harder than you think.

it is much easier to give up.

@lobster

hi all,

frankly speaking, i have read many commentaries on different meditations. i have tried both anapanasati and zazen, but somehow i am so confused (you can say this) or so idiot to not even start doing any of these meditations properly - then the other things come up like there is nothing to do in meditation, except observation without judgement - meditation is letting go - theoretically, i understand these things, but practical ground reality, there is no calm in my meditation. i am not able to learn anything from my meditation - monks say that you understand how cause-effect works by carefully observing how the breath and different bodily sensations work out - you can observe the pleasantness in the breath - i am not able to observe any of these things.

what happens when i sit in morning after tea is this - after somehow i settle myself in sitting posture (it is just normal cross-leg sitting, not half-lotus and not full-lotus) and try to have some erectness in the spine and let myself settle in, then relax, then after few seconds i know i am breathing, then after 2 seconds or in even less time, thoughts arise, then i found my head has slightly dropped, then again i have to realign my sitting posture, then again some thoughts come up, i get entangled in it, other times there is slight discomfort due to maintaining the erectness of my spine, so most of the time either i am trying to sit properly or getting caught in thoughts and very less time i am observing my breath as it is happening - the worse thing which happens is when i observe my breath, somehow my breath changes and i feel like it has changed from natural breathing to controlled breathing.

so seems like either i am not made to meditate - or - due to my past karma or my current karma (because of my defilements) i shall not be able to meditate - or - i am doing something terribly wrong in my meditation.

so i will change my question to this question: what is the proper way to start doing anapanasati meditation? please suggest. thanks in advance.

anataman said:

...the passive observation of breathing such that it becomes an object of meditation.

But that's what anapanasati involves.
    edited January 2014

anataman said:

...the passive observation of breathing such that it becomes an object of meditation.

But that's what anapanasati involves.
    i guess here is where the confusion comes up - as @fivebells has said above - in the first tetrad for body - it is said - he breathes in calming bodily fabrications - so does in anapanasati sutta - passive observation of the natural breathing is done - or - active observation meaning changing the breath so that it is more comfortable needs to be done?

in other words, as per anapanasati sutta, just the observation of natural breathing is done and the breath is allowed to be made calm on its own (no matter how many years or decades it may take) - or - changing the natural breathing, in a way, controlled breathing can be done to make the body and the breath more at ease? But if we go by second approach of changing breath, this will be a sort of doing something in meditation and this will go against the idea that in meditation nothing is done, rather just sitting is done as done in zazen, as taught by dogen. so as per anapanasati sutta, what should be done?

please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • Hi, @misecmisc1. It's very important to determine the level of skill required to follow a particular teaching. You can chase your tail for years if you try to follow a teaching when you haven't developed the requisited foundational skills.

The type of meditation Dogen described is second jhana onwards. Prior to and during first jhana, explicit manipulation of the breath and one's perception of it is the best way to get the mind to settle down. You can get to higher jhanas without going through first jhana, but it's generally much more difficult and haphazard.
    The Blessed One said: "Now what, monks, is five-factored noble right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful qualities — enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought and evaluation. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.

"Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman's apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. This is the first development of the five-factored noble right concentration.

"Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters and remains in the second jhana: rapture and pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought and evaluation — internal assurance. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of composure. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born of composure.

"Just like a lake with spring-water welling up from within, having no inflow from east, west, north, or south, and with the skies periodically supplying abundant showers, so that the cool fount of water welling up from within the lake would permeate and pervade, suffuse and fill it with cool waters, there being no part of the lake unpervaded by the cool waters; even so, the monk permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of composure. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born of composure. This is the second development of the five-factored noble right concentration.
    "Directed thought and evaluation" here means "how can I make this go better, e.g., what kind of breath would feel really good right now?" Note that the simile for first jhana involves conscious human manipulation of the enviroment, while the simile for second jhana (and the other two jhanas as well) involves natural phenomena with no conscious manipulation.

Unless you are experiencing first jhana, don't worry about abandoning conscious manipulation of the breath and your perception of it.
    lobstermisecmisc1Invincible_summer
    edited January 2014
    The type of meditation Dogen described is second jhana onwards.
    @fivebells: Thanks for the above post and thanks for your above statement, which clarifies some doubts.

well, these days i have been hearing some talks from Thanisaro Bhikku and from his talks, it is clear that he emphasizes on modifying the breath, so that it feels comfortable.

actually, over the last 2 years, when i had been sitting, i was just trying to be aware of the breath in natural breathing as done in zazen i.e. just sitting method and observing whatever is happening - means i do not focus on a particular area of my body, just try to be aware of the bodily sensation, (or i do not know may be just the knowing that breath is coming in and going out - i guess this automatic information is through bodily sensations, so i try to be aware of this knowing that breath is coming in and going out) - today i tried to count the breaths to see if there is some concentration, but what i found was after say 5 to 6 breaths, i started feeling uncomfortable (may be something like headache) while i tried to count in-breath and out-breath - then i stopped counting and just be aware of the breath - this was slightly easy, but the problem is i think some breaths got passed unnoticed. So what will you suggest should i go for counting method or just be with the knowing of the breath coming in and going out?

i sit with my eyes closed and sit on a cushion, so that my knees can be comfortably on the ground - i do not sit in half-lotus and not in full-lotus, rather in a comfortable cross-legged normal sitting position.

regarding posture - when i try to sit erect while maintaining the natural curve of the spine and keep my chest out, then on breathing i can feel the chest expanding on breathing in and chest contracting on breathing out - but this posture (is so uncomfortable that) i can hardly keep it for 2 to 3 continuous breaths and then somehow, the body moves ( i think during this time, some thoughts also come and then i realize that i am entangled in thoughts and then i check my body posture and find that my head has dropped, the chest has come inwards, the erectness of the spine is lost - though i was not sleeping). So should i try to maintain erectness of the spine with its natural curve, and endure the uncomfortness in it - or should i let my body take whatever position it takes to be comfortable? my meditation is no-where as far as concentration is concerned, so you can assume that i have not even started to meditate.

please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I think its important to reach a comfort level for body and mind first...in my opinion. If you can sit comfortably and not stress over random thoughts for an hour, then you already have focused more than you realized.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2014

So what will you suggest should i go for counting method or just be with the knowing of the breath coming in and going out?

I would suggest an alternative: to experiment with how you perceive the breath, what aspects of it you focus on, and the physical process of the breath, to try to find a style of perception, focus and physical breathing which puts you in a relaxed, still, attentive, positive state of mind.
    Deperception

In the beginning, when you first notice the power of perception, you can easily feel overwhelmed by how pervasive it is. Suppose you're focusing on the breath. There comes a point when you begin to wonder whether you're focusing on the breath itself or on your idea of the breath. Once this question arises, the normal reaction is to try to get around the idea to the raw sensation behind it. But if you're really sensitive as you do this, you'll notice that you're simply replacing one caricature of the breath with another, more subtle one. Even the raw sensation of breathing is shaped by how you conceptualize raw sensation. No matter how hard you try to pin down an unfiltered experience of breathing, you still find it shaped by your idea of what breathing actually is. The more you pursue the reality of the breath, the more it recedes like a mirage.

The trick here is to turn this fact to your advantage. After all, you're not meditating to get to the breath. You're meditating to understand the processes leading to suffering so that you can put an end to them. The way you relate to your perceptions is part of these processes, so that's what you want to see. You have to treat your experience of the breath, not as an end in itself, but as a tool for understanding the role of perception in creating suffering and stress.

It's common to think of the breath as the air passing in and out through the nose, and this can be a useful perception to start with. Use whatever blatant sensations you associate with that perception as a means of establishing mindfulness, developing alertness, and getting the mind to grow still. But as your attention gets more refined, you may find that level of breath becoming too faint to detect. So try thinking of the breath instead as the energy flow in the body, as a full body process.

Then make that experience as comfortable as possible. If you feel any blockage or obstruction in the breathing, see what you can do to dissolve those feelings. Are you doing anything to create them? If you can catch yourself creating them, then it's easy to let them dissolve. And what would make you create them aside from your preconceived notions of how the mechanics of breathing have to work? So question those notions: Where does the breath come into the body? Does it come in only through the nose and mouth? Does the body have to pull the breath in? If so, which sensations do the pulling? Which sensations get pulled? Where does the pulling begin? And where is the breath pulled from? Which parts have the breath, and which ones don't? When you feel a sensation of blockage, which side of the sensation are you on?

These questions may sound strange, but many times your pre-verbal assumptions about the body are strange as well. Only when you confront them head-on with strange questions can you bring them to light. And only when you see them clearly can you replace them with alternative concepts.
    Jeffreymisecmisc1Invincible_summer
    thanks @fivebells for your above reply.
    regarding posture - when i try to sit erect while maintaining the natural curve of the spine and keep my chest out, then on breathing i can feel the chest expanding on breathing in and chest contracting on breathing out - but this posture (is so uncomfortable that) i can hardly keep it for 2 to 3 continuous breaths and then somehow, the body moves ( i think during this time, some thoughts also come and then i realize that i am entangled in thoughts and then i check my body posture and find that my head has dropped, the chest has come inwards, the erectness of the spine is lost - though i was not sleeping). So should i try to maintain erectness of the spine with its natural curve, and endure the uncomfortness in it - or should i let my body take whatever position it takes to be comfortable? my meditation is no-where as far as concentration is concerned, so you can assume that i have not even started to meditate.
    regarding my above query, please suggest. thanks in advance.
  • I can only go on my own experience, which suggests that the traditional concern for meditation posture is almost totally misplaced. Any posture should be fine as long as your'e comfortable and not likely to fall asleep for the period you intend to meditate. Personally, I meditate in an almost prone position, surrounded by lots of pillows.

I can definitely see advantages to being able to meditate without any furniture, and to do so for extremely long periods, particularly if you're going to go in for the extreme renunciation the Buddha practiced. Personally, I'm not there yet, and I regard those skills as largely orthogonal to the issue of getting the mind in a good posture.
    Invincible_summer
    wangchuey said:

If you can sit comfortably and not stress over random thoughts for an hour, then you already have focused more than you realized.

That's quite an achievement for most people.