Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dennis Rodman

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
Today I was trying to recall the news story from a couple of years ago when 2 "hikers" were arrested in (I think) Iran. And I kept thinking well, either they are spies or the dumbest hikers on the planet...that they would choose -- of all the places in the world -- Iran to sneak across the border to hike in.

And I was connecting this seemingly inexplicable behavior to Dennis Rodman as things have played out over the past couple of days in North Korea -- practically incoherent press conferences with rants. Singing to the beloved leader. I'm dumbfounded by his behavior. Is he crazy? A drunk? Drugged out? Incredibly stupid? What the hell is this guy thinking?

Comments?

Comments

• vinlyn said:

Today I was trying to recall the news story from a couple of years ago when 2 "hikers" were arrested in (I think) Iran. And I kept thinking well, either they are spies or the dumbest hikers on the planet...that they would choose -- of all the places in the world -- Iran to sneak across the border to hike in.

And I was connecting this seemingly inexplicable behavior to Dennis Rodman as things have played out over the past couple of days in North Korea -- practically incoherent press conferences with rants. Singing to the beloved leader. I'm dumbfounded by his behavior. Is he crazy? A drunk? Drugged out? Incredibly stupid? What the hell is this guy thinking?

Comments?

He is richer than all of us put together, lol.
    Invincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So what? Are you saying if one is rich, one is right/sane/intelligent/etc.?
  • We can't really know, of course, because he is surrounded by many layers of professional publicity spinners. However, he is certainly profoundly eccentric and deeply vain. I suspect what we are seeing now is a relatively sincere exercise in living out his eccentricity and vanity.
    DandelionInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Paying attention to someone addicted to fame and gain
    is just supporting suffering..
    VastmindEvenThirdInvincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

So what? Are you saying if one is rich, one is right/sane/intelligent/etc.?

No. I am saying, if one is rich, one doesn't have to be sane, right, or intelligent.
    Chaz
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

What the hell is this guy thinking?

Before he dated madonna, he was pretty straight - great rebounder but you'd struggle to remember him.
    His wacky behaviour took him to a new level... from memory, it all started in the 90's when he suddenly turned up to a press conference in a dress and then spoke nonsense and cried...
    Roll on the books, films, non-basketball opportunities, this thread... all turns to money in the fame game.
    There's no such thing as bad publicity apparently.
    vinlyn said:

...that they would choose -- of all the places in the world -- Iran to sneak across the border to hike in.

As an aside, I imagine any country would arrest them for sneaking through a border undeclared - an entire border cannot be patrolled so the punishment for infringements tends to be relatively draconian to take account of the seriousness of the offence.
    Beyond espionage, there is a risk of transmission of disease and pests etc to name a few.
    I don't believe there were any allegations of inhuman treatment - they were quite rightly arrested for an arrestable criminal offence recognised under international law.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited January 2014
    We live in a world where the majority of people spend their lives trying to accumulate stuff they don't need to strengthen a self they don't have in order to block from consciousness the fact of death which is inevitable, and yet these few people stand out as being uniquely crazy somehow.

I don't think these people's behaviors are that much crazier than what is typical for our human society at this time, but are just a little less conformist than usual.
    hermitwin
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    What the hell is this guy thinking?
    Greed, hate, delusion. If there ever was a situation that was easy to explain in a Buddhist way, this is it.

Kim is a 2nd generation despot-- keenly concerned with rank and status out of a misunderstanding of who he really is. Out of delusions about what he has--(what he has is temporarily as was his late uncles own power & fortune), he is consumed with greed for more. He wants to hobnob with the rich and powerful and Dennis was available, driven by many of the same motivations. Dennis finding himself hob nobbing with the rich and powerful but a despised rich & powerful crowd, so he has to pick sides and has chosen who he wants to hate.

I feel sorry for them both. I hope re-incarnation works for them, they both seem to old and trapped in their situations to escape their three poisons.

vinlynInvincible_summerTheswingisyellow
    Good analysis.

While I was watching the newsclip I laughed, thinking he looks sorta like some of the monsters in Thai-Buddhist mythology.
    Invincible_summer
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Rodman does it so people like us will talk about it. I'm sure Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, et al, will get a lot of mileage out of it. Rodman want's another 15 minutes of fame. That's all.
  • It's sad to watch the rich and famous stumble around blind to their ego driven mistakes.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    Sad to watch people condemn others when they should be attending to their own crap.
  • I thought those hikers accidentally wandered into Iran, not being clear on where the border was. Are you sure their trespass into Iran was intentional?
    That's what they said. Of course, that meant they were hiking in remote regions of either Pakistan (in an area even my Pakistani son won't get near), Afghanistan, Iraq, or Turkmenistan.

Any way you look at it, it never added up.
  • stupidity is stupidity, and ignorance is ignorance.
  • @vinlyn agreed. That hiker story never added up. As for Rodman? Hard to tell. Some people are drawn to dictators and the like.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    Could be it all is a huge mistake.

But at least there is someone relating to such an oppressive and isolated regime. Maybe this could be the possibility of a path to bring N. Korea into the open.

I find Rodman as a diplomat to be a very strange twist - though stranger things have happened.

Lastly, I wouldn't say Rodman was forgettable on the basketball court. He was beast, 5x Champ, 2x NBA Defensive POY, 7x NBA rebounding leader (consecutively), 7x All-Defensive First Team ... The guy is considered the best rebound player in NBA history. Certainly not a forgettable career. Pistons retired his jersey - not because he was outrageous off the court.