Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The heart of meditation

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
edited January 2014 in Meditation
Sogyal Rinpoche says in his 'Tibetan Book of Living and Dying' that:

'The purpose of meditation is to awaken in us the sky-like nature of mind, and to introduce us to that which we really are, our unchanging pure awareness, which underlies the whole of life and death.'

Has anyone in this forum who meditates seriously NOT experienced their 'unchanging pure awareness' in their meditation?

Hopefully this thread ends here - lol

Comments

• The primary purpose of meditation is to end suffering, by developing the mental behaviors help end it, and abandoning the ones which create and prolong it.

"Our unchanging pure awareness" stinks of conceit, i.e., I-making and my-making, which is one of the fetters. It is the sixth jhana, which is explicitly not awakening, and is a fabrication to be abandoned.
    "Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of space, [perceiving,] 'Infinite consciousness,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, [perceiving,] 'There is nothing,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of nothingness."
    lobsterwangchueyupekkapegembara
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    anataman said:

Has anyone in this forum who meditates seriously NOT experienced their 'unchanging pure awareness' in their meditation?

By "awareness" does he mean consciousness? And what exactly does "pure" mean in this context?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    fivebells said:

The primary purpose of meditation is to end suffering, by developing the mental behaviors help end it, and abandoning the ones which create and prolong it.

"Our unchanging pure awareness" stinks of conceit, i.e., I-making and my-making, which is one of the fetters. It is the sixth jhana, which is explicitly not awakening, and is a fabrication to be abandoned.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of space, [perceiving,] 'Infinite consciousness,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another. Known to him they arose, known to him they remained, known to him they subsided. He discerned, 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Having been, they vanish.' He remained unattracted & unrepelled with regard to those qualities, independent, detached, released, dissociated, with an awareness rid of barriers. He discerned that 'There is a further escape,' and pursuing it there really was for him.

"Furthermore, with the complete transcending of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, [perceiving,] 'There is nothing,' Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of nothingness."
    @fibebells there has to be something we can relate as
    Our essence or true nature or we are just chasing our tails forever!

Without being overtly contentious (although I'm looking at the boxing gloves hanging up over there)
    the jhanas are just descriptions of experiences of mental states that may be experienced in the field of pure awareness during meditation. It's easy to cling to them as one might use a crutch. Try grasping your awareness! There is nothing to grasp or release.

This is why we have to practice and why we constantly forget and relapse into bad habits. The self is something we can be, and associate with. Awareness is our natural state of being. Suck it and see.

Mettha
    Jeffreyupekka

anataman said:

By "awareness" does he mean consciousness? And what exactly does "pure" mean in this context?
    You can call it consciousness if you mean that which recognizes itself to be non-squally the observing and the observed.

upekka
  • anataman said:

Why?
  • anataman said:

Pure as in 'not conditioned by body, thoughts, etc., totally free.'
    anatamanupekka
  • To add:
    People who keep saying, 'the purpose of Buddhism is to end suffering'...... well, that's a given. We all know that. But this suffering is the result of our conditioned existence; and hence 'ending of suffering' would necessarily entail an unconditioned state. That's probably what the Rinpoche means by sky like nature, pure awareness etc.
    anatamanupekka
    Thank you @betaboy
    fivebells said:

anataman said:

Why?
    Because there is nothing to compare!
  • jaejae Veteran
    I'm not qualified to answer that question as my knowledge of Buddhism is 'tiny' but I have been meditating, contemplating and researching and my life is changing, its more tranquil and easier to handle.

Its working for me I've just read this and thought you may be interested, even if people meditate/be mindful that aren't religious there seems to be a real and rapid change in thought processes.

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/thehub/scientists-show-how-thoughts-cause-molecular-changes-to-your-genes
    edited January 2014
    Btw non-squally meant to be non-dually! Apt though it may be.

The primary purpose of meditation may be to end suffering. But when we meditate we are aiming to be our true nature. We know there is suffering, we know there is impermanence, but we struggle with non-self because we have had causes and conditions that result in a mental formation we relate to as our self that we have to contend with and that is where meditation becomes very important. If you don't do it you won't get it.

We have to be our true self to see the self non-self duality. Awareness is what plugs the gap

All this whilst making soup!

Mettha
  • There is a difference between the primordial ground and to the six consciousness. I don't know much about it as I am just parroting from a facebook site I read yesterday. :mullet:
    anataman
    jae said:

I'm not qualified to answer that question as my knowledge of Buddhism is 'tiny' but I have been meditating, contemplating and researching and my life is changing, its more tranquil and easier to handle.

Its working for me I've just read this and thought you may be interested, even if people meditate/be mindful that aren't religious there seems to be a real and rapid change in thought processes.

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/thehub/scientists-show-how-thoughts-cause-molecular-changes-to-your-genes

Thank you @jae

There is increasing scientific proof that meditation has a positive effect on all aspects of our mental and physical being. But you don't need someone to tell you this. Do you? :-)
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman....... :) 'every day is a good day even the shitty ones'....not my quote but love it, and thanks to you for helping me on my way ...mettha
  • anataman said:

fivebells said:

Why?

anataman said:

Because there is nothing to compare!

I don't follow.
    betaboy said:

...'ending of suffering' would necessarily entail an unconditioned state. That's probably what the Rinpoche means by sky like nature, pure awareness etc.

Awakening a "sky-like nature of mind" is not the same as ending suffering, though it can be a useful tool along the way. It is therefore not the purpose of meditation. That such a state of mind needs to be awakened demonstrates that it is conditioned. And "our unchanging pure awareness" is an expression which has suffering baked into its first two words. Maybe the Rinpoche meant something different than what is quoted, but in that case it is sloppy and confusing expression and/or translation.
    edited January 2014
    @fivebells it's very simple. You need to have some understanding of your true nature before you can end suffering.

The purpose of meditation is to be expansive and open like the sky where the clouds can come and go, rain can combine with the sun and make rainbows.

Phenomena arise in something and I put it to you that that is the awareness Sogyal rinpoche alludes to. Follow? Yes or no?

Don't get bogged down too much in ending suffering until you understand how you can achieve it! The root cause of your suffering is your self. Ta da! Magician plus rabbit out if hat and hands it to gorgeous smiling assistant. Shit the smiling assistant looks like a crustacean. Well they reproduce because of the way they look as well, somehow!

Any way - not to be distracted too much- be like the sky and let the clouds fly by along with a few private jets millions of birds and the occasional UFO.

Mettha
    Jeffreyupekkapegembara
  • anataman said:

Phenomena arise in something and I put it to you that that is the awareness Sogyal rinpoche alludes to. Follow? Yes or no?

No, the perception of arising phenomena is itself a form of suffering. It's a mix of contact, name-and-form and consciousness, in the framework of dependent origination.

I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that you need to have an understanding of your true nature before you can end suffering, too. What is your basis for claiming that?
    I didn't claim it @fivebells that would be a very conceited thing to do. Now As I reach over and take down those boxing gloves, strap up my wrists, slowly get my coach to lace them up. I have decided to throw in the towel.

To end suffering is the point of Buddhism. However, you have to know that the 4NTs say you are the cause of your suffering. Know yourself then you can end suffering.

Temet nosce

Mettha
  • The duty of the first NT is to comprehend suffering, not yourself. If you're saying the experience of the sky-like mind, etc. is a form of suffering, I agree with you, but you seem to be saying something else.
  • @fivebells, some sects bellieve there is a true self.

The true self is permanent, bliss, and self. Your Buddhism alarm detector is going off I know. But there are sutras saying this such as the ratnagotravhibaga and the shrimaladevi sutra.

The skylike nature is a pointing out instruction of the true self. Another way to think of it is the skhandas are all transformed into their enlightened properties and those properties are not suffering.
    anataman
    fivebells said:

The duty of the first NT is to comprehend suffering, not yourself. If you're saying the experience of the sky-like mind, etc. is a form of suffering, I agree with you, but you seem to be saying something else.

No I said this:

Sogyal Rinpoche says in his 'Tibetan Book of Living and Dying' that:

'The purpose of meditation is to awaken in us the sky-like nature of mind, and to introduce us to that which we really are, our unchanging pure awareness, which underlies the whole of life and death.'

Obviously you have not, and that was the point of this thread. Can we really sit for hours and days and years and not comprehend that there is a field of awareness that supports our practice, so we can Know what we are

I am saying just this the 4 NT's awaken us to suffering, its cause (tut!), there is a way to overcome it and then we practice skillfull means to speed us to the other side, and escape the human condition.

My true nature is buried in a load of shit and I can smell and hear it, but, there's a way out.

Temet Nosce

mettha

Bless you and all who sail with you!

Now where did I put that bloody screwdriver? It's such a pain when a screw becomes loose!

jaeJeffreyupekka
    Jeffrey said:

@fivebells, some sects bellieve there is a true self.

The true self is permanent, bliss, and self. Your Buddhism alarm detector is going off I know. But there are sutras saying this such as the ratnagotravhibaga and the shrimaladevi sutra.

The skylike nature is a pointing out instruction of the true self. Another way to think of it is the skhandas are all transformed into their enlightened properties and those properties are not suffering.

Thank you for your contribution @Jeffery :-)
    Jeffrey
  • fivebells said:

The duty of the first NT is to comprehend suffering, not yourself. If you're saying the experience of the sky-like mind, etc. is a form of suffering, I agree with you, but you seem to be saying something else.

anataman said:

No I said this:

To be clear, in that post I was responding to the post immediately preceding, where you said
    ...you have to know that the 4NTs say you are the cause of your suffering. Know yourself then you can end suffering.
    fivebells said:

fivebells said:

anataman said:

No I said this:

To be clear, in that post I was responding to the post immediately preceding, where you said
    ...you have to know that the 4NTs say you are the cause of your suffering. Know yourself then you can end suffering.

OK @fivebells there was some kind of glitch and I didn't download everything you wrote. I'll re-read it from the beginning and answer in context.
  • Jeffrey said:

Sounds like sectarianism to me. :) What's your experience of the true self? I haven't found anything I can work with along these lines.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2014
    fivebells said:

The primary purpose of meditation is to end suffering, by developing the mental behaviors help end it, and abandoning the ones which create and prolong it.

When I see a teaching about nothingness and nothing, I think the translators made a mistake.

If there is nothing and a dimension of nothingness then Sariputta could not have entered into it nor could he remain. It would then be the dimension of Sariputa.

Nothingness is not the same as emptiness.

@ five bells. I will stick to what I said like a flash of light reflecting off the scale of a fish that nervously swims by a little hook that I perceive to be jangling next to me in the little brook beside the river I have known since I was born to be home.

There has to be a basis for understanding. If you have no basis there is nothing you can relate to. You may be a buddha or someone seeking to understand their buddha nature, but 'you' are suffering. Or why would you be here discussing this most irrelevant and trivial point to the point of exhaustion as I am. Meditate - be yourself, see that you suffer, see your pursuit is to end your suffering but is causing more suffering then end your suffering, by cal my abiding in your true nature with the sun and a few clouds and the odd rainbow making an appearance.

Dont overcomplicate something that is uncomplicated and open.

Mettha

Oh I found my screwdriver by the way. It was in my other hand.
    fivebells said:

Jeffrey said:

There is nothing for you to find - it is there already.

Good meditating with you btw
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    fivebells said:

Ah, but when the border between self and other is seen through, suffering and the logic of compassion is much easier to understand.

anatamanupekka
    I used to eat into myself and regularly swallowed my tail then one day I reached my arse, I never want to go back there again!
    upekkaHamsaka
  • fivebells said:

Jeffrey said:

Sounds like sectarianism to me. :) What's your experience of the true self? I haven't found anything I can work with along these lines.
    My whole point is that there are differences of opinion across sectarian boundaries. I am not saying your approach is wrong. So I am not 'critical' or 'appealing to my traditions authority'. Indeed I was just trying to point out the diversity of teachings rather than advocate my view as 'better'.

The true self is openness, clarity, and sensitivity. Right off the bat many people have an intuition into what this means. But these three qualities cannot be nailed down by heavy handed speculation.

Again, if you are interested you could read Rigdzin Shikpo's book openness, clarity, and sensitivity.

Another idea is that true self is awakened heart or Bodhicitta.
    David
    I think the self is to be transcended not abolished.

Who would tie my shoes?
    Hamsaka
    edited January 2014
    We have to work with ourselves That's all we have. It can become a real grind or as poetic as you want it to be - here this is for you all, spontaneous and full of loving kindness.

Tie @ourselfs shoelaces,
    Read @Jeffreys book
    Try and follow anatamans thread
    Live til we are dead

Sit
    Meditate
    Be

Walk
    Live
    See

Mettha ha ha ha

Oh well (shrug)

It's probably only funny to me...

Finger pointing at the moon - lets castigate it.

Or wait and take our time to look at what it's pointing at...

Hey - revelation - life's really what we make it.

Buddhism is just a tag for something we feel we cannot breach,

Or is it? Is there something else?

That's well within our reach.

And again

A half smile becomes full beaming smile, and then there is an explosion of mirth - at least someone can be happy around here, and it's all dedicated to you @fivebells - smile, I know you want to, here let me tickle that wittle chin of yours, to help you on your way
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2014
    ourself said:

If there is nothing and a dimension of nothingness then Sariputta could not have entered into it nor could he remain. It would then be the dimension of Sariputa.

Nothingness is not the same as emptiness.

I have not mastered it, but I have entered this dimension two or three times by accident.

It is not that there is nothing, but there is an experience of nothing.
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't even begin by trying to call it nothing, I'd just say it's hard to label it as something called nothing. As much as you try and see it as nothing it becomes the cup thats overflowing. So drink deeply from it my friend. It's empty of course but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying it's refreshing taste.

Have you seen the film where Robin Williams is playing Peter Pan. There is a scene where there is an empty feast. Boy did the lost boys make something of that!

Yum Yum
  • ourself said:

Ah, but when the border between self and other is seen through, suffering and the logic of compassion is much easier to understand.

I don't see how this relates to what we were discussing.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Jeffrey said:

Again, if you are interested you could read Rigdzin Shikpo's book openness, clarity, and sensitivity.

Definitely agree that there is a diversity of teachings. Different teachings are appropriate for different situations. I think Shikpo's (really, Trungpa's) teachings mostly pertain to an extremely advanced stage of practice. You can certainly find Thai Forest Ajaans talking in a similar way. E.g.
    There is only the pure brilliance of
    nibbana. All the worlds are dissolved in the moments of the path and fruition of
    arahantship. This brilliance is something always truly there, but we don’t see it
    because of our own darkness and delusion.

Nibbana is something genuine and unchanging. It knows nothing of
    deterioration. It always stays as it is. As long as there is birth, aging, illness, and
    death, there will always be nibbana, because birthlessness comes from birth, and
    deathlessness lies buried in the very midst of dying.
    Note, however, he's talking about Nirvana, something which comes at the end of the path, not something you can realistically expect to have any experience of without a lot of foundational work.

I think the Mahayana sutras you refer to are talking about Nirvana, and don't give much insight into how one ought to practice prior to its attainment.
    Just a minute @fivebells - the buddha said to some old woman who came to him and ask how to meditate, 'just be aware of how you draw water from the well - because he knew that she would in that mindfulness of action, find herself in that restful state in which meditation naturally arises.

So what was the foundational work here - 'watch what you do!' easy peasy

Ta da Nirvana - in an instant. But, she still had to draw the water from the well for some purpose - and that was to quench her thirst, or wash her knickers.

When the thirst has been quenched, and the laundry done, what is further to be required that may be regarded as unnecessary?

just a thought!
    upekka
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman.......how many g&t's :D
  • @anataman, got a cite for that story?
    just 2, but they were probably doubles.

fivebells said:

@anataman, got a cite for that story?

yes

but I am not going to give it to you...

Maybe I will feel a little more generous tomorrow.

• "Did you just tell me to go fuck myself?"

"I believe I did, Bob."
    anataman
    Oh @fivebells you have just made me laugh so much! Thank you. I was just about to go to bed. I can't recall the last time someone made me laugh that much!

Mettha

btw you have to read Sogyal Rinpoche's book - it's all in there!

LOL
    Rest in natural great peace
    This exhausted mind
    Beaten helpless by Karma and neurotic thought
    Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
    In the infinite ocean of samsara

Signed, sealed and delivered by Nyoshul Kenpo, courtesy of Sogyal Rinpoche - and Anatman
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @fivebells, I am just going by what my teacher teaches. She is Rigdzin's wife. She teaches a course where it is appropriate for beginners. A lot of teachings are self sealing. You get a benefit whatever level you are at. Buddha said his teachigns were 'good in the beginning', 'good in the middle', and 'good at the end'.

So basically I am contradicting your assertion that Bodhicitta is not an entry level teaching. Indeed without Bodhicitta no practice can be realized so you might as well get started on what leads to Nirvana.

Buddha nature is the very first teaching in the Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is the Lam Ring text for Kagyu. That essentially blows out of the water your idea that openness, clarity, and sensitivity are not appropriate for beginners. The very first teaching is Buddha nature.

As I said many have an intuition into OCS. And those who don't immediately have an intuition will eventually with the help of a teacher. The reason is because OCS is the nature of mind. Thus if clarity is the nature of mind so to the mind will realize what clarity in fact is.
    anataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2014
    ourself said:

I think the self is to be transcended not abolished.

Who would tie my shoes?

Precisely!

The 'self' is a damn useful gizmo. Too bad it is, in my experience, also the major source of my day to day suffering.

A few days ago when meditating (this will be hard to explain), awareness of 'self' was inevitably accompanied by physical sensations I usually attribute to 'fear' (generalized). 'Self' thoughts were accompanied by contraction in my chest, or zings of adrenaline, or other mildly unpleasant physical sensations. When I say sense of 'self' I mean thoughts that had content of difficult interaction with someone, unpleasant things I keep putting off that dog me in meditation, etc.

What was really cool, and this only happened the once, is that sense of 'self' kind of . . . cracked loose, and the immediate image was like a tooth coming loose. Still attached but wiggly. Let me tell you what relief that is.

The basic dissatisfaction of 'self' is what drove me into committed practice after years of dilettantism. For some reason, and I'm grateful for whatever the reason, just experiencing mySELF became intolerable, a complete misery. Two and a half years ago, it became acute and I said fuck it and started drinking again. A year ago I quit drinking, and about halfway through the year that despair hit me again. I can't think of another way to describe it but some existential despair of just being . . . me.

So (back to topic :D ) my relationship to my-'self' is becoming much more compassionate, and much more 'realistic' as to what the little ole self is meant to be. Like tying shoes, driving to work, utilizing my nursing abilities to care for patients, changing lightbulbs, reading this forum . . . and lots more.

I see the 'self' a lot like the old fashioned 'ego'. The true self?

No idea! But like many, I sense it. What I am sensing, again, no idea.

Gassho :)

That is truly ground-breaking @Hamsaka. Can't live with it, and can't live without it,; When you have learned to show compassion for yourself - you can go on to generate compassion for others, but you still have to be your self, no matter how much that may piss you off.
    Hamsaka
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    anataman said:

That is truly ground-breaking @Hamsaka. Can't live with it, and can't live without it,; When you have learned to show compassion for yourself - you can go on to generate compassion for others, but you still have to be your self, no matter how much that may piss you off.

Truly it is annoying.

One 'no-self' benefit I've experienced at work (I realized this long before I started practicing) is that I don't knee-jerk react. Probably all work places are rife with pot-stirrers and gossips, people who get energized from upsetting others; it is quite common in nursing. Groups of mainly women together are very competitive, there is no 'brotherhood' where we got each other's back, unfortunately.

So inevitably, that competition involves people being irritable or abusive with each other. Also, hospital work for all personnel is extremely stressful and busy, and people are just people and get short with each other from sheer exhaustion.

Anyway, when someone is deliberately or helplessly unkind to me, I note it but don't find myself getting defensive or upset. At least at the level where I lose control and poke them back. I sort of see my 'self' as a vapor and the zinger goes right on through. No one has the power or ability to 'determine' me, you know? Just because they say something unkind or careless, doesn't make it MEAN anything, to me. I don't even care what it means about THEM.

When I began practicing formally, I realized this was a sort of benefit of no-self awareness. Or so it seems to me. It sure has made my day to day stress at work less.

There are definitely some folks who get energy from pissing people off, but most of the time, they are irritable from stress, and lost it for a moment. That includes you and me, so be kind to yourself and others for their humanity.

I don't think we need to demonize the self or relegate it to a well trained pet either. It just needs to know it's limitations and work within them. I'm sure there's a lot more to it, though.

Gassho :)

pegembarajaeanataman