Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Raising kids as Buddhists

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
Buddhism in general doesn't seem to have much to say about family life. I have read rules about the earliest age for ordination & how some countries used monestaries as a place for farmer peasants to unload extra kids or to put orphans (a practice of mixed merits).

I imagine on a forum of Buddhists who are now a different religion than what they were (or weren't) raised in might be skeptical that you can raise a child to have a religion since obviously that didn't work for them. I'm somewhat more optimistic since amongst "old buddhists" there are a billion plus who are Buddhists in part because their parents were Buddhists.

Do anyone here have any opinions on the efficacy of raising kids to be Buddhist, what the orthodox traditions have to say about the matter and if Buddhism has anything that parallels baptism, catechism and confirmation (typical rites and practices for kids in other religions)?

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    I've always told my kids they should look at all religions and make their own mind up, I have been telling them what I'm learning and they are very interested ... I'm glad you asked this thanks
    matthewmartinS_Mouse
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Yes, IMO, I have been very efficent in teaching my children the
    ways to practice ...hahaha...seriously, I am able to present most lessons
    in an age appropriate way..

I'm not sure I understand the question...AFA the
    Buddhism in general..I would think the writings on householders come
    in handy here....no?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    If you want children to grow up to be open-minded toward all wisdom, then I think the proper course is to introduce them to a wide range of religions.
    matthewmartinS_Mouse
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Kids are kids and religion should not be enforced on them. However, My daughter often joins me as I am chanting Om Mani Pedme Hum as I do some menial chore. It makes my life a little sweeter. I haven't explained the mantra but she loves singing. I wonder if Jessie J could do a cover?
    jae
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Vastmind said:

I'm not sure I understand the question...AFA the Buddhism in general..I would think the writings on householders come in handy here....no?

The question... well more of a discussion topic... is what does Buddhism have to say about raising kids. As a monastic ideal, it says, "don't have kids".

As for lay practice, esp of the 5 precepts sort, (don't do five things you normally don't do anyhow), are even less relevant for a kids practice, they can't buy booze, aren't biologically interested in sex yet, don't really understand property rights or if they did-- they don't have money to pay for anything. Honesty is a social construct and kids generally have to learn to lie (i.e. say "So nice to meet you!" instead of "Why do you smell like that?")... but I'm rehashing what I've written about the 5 precepts elsewhere. And yes, if you follow the 5 precepts like the monks do, then the precepts are interesting again, but then they wouldn't be lay precepts anymore.
    edited January 2014
    The monastic ideal is for monks. Kids are Karmic consequences for this who can't control their passion for physical interaction with the opposite sex!
    ;-)
    matthewmartin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When it came to Buddhism and my kids, the question that always intrigued me was, "What would you rather have -- good people or good Buddhists?" Perhaps it is a false dichotomy, but it resonated with me. And I am happy to see that in general my kids are pretty good people. We rarely speak of Buddhism, but they see me from time to time in robes or just when I go out to the zendo to sit. To them, I think, it's just the old man doing his thing -- no harm, no foul. And if, at some time in the future, they sniff the edges of spiritual adventure, perhaps Buddhism (or any other persuasion) will not seem quite so weird or different. I don't imagine I could tell them anything they wouldn't have to find out for themselves, assuming they were serious.
    anatamanVastmind
    edited January 2014
    anataman said:

Kids are kids and religion should not be enforced on them.

Not to single you out because I see this constantly in the literature about kids (and from my own sister this last holiday). Don't force kids to do anything. It's like the joke, when you lose your job, it's a recession, when I lose my job it's a depression. When I scold my kids, it's parenting, when you scold your kids it's force and child abuse.

I mean, if I said, "My kid won't keep getting up from kneeling on upturned bottle caps and chickpeas while he's doing his 1 million padmes" then, I'd say, yeah, that's borderline child abuse.

Is this "force" thing a Christian thing?

But if I turn off the TV and say we're doing a different activity, maybe religion related (assuming they are of the age when you can get them to do activities) that's parenting, not force.
    anataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'd rather teach my children how to think instead of what to think. When and if they ask about Buddhism I will tell them what I think and believe without claiming to know the truth.
    anatamanS_Mouse
    edited January 2014
    re: genkaku and ourself
    Is secret or semi-secret dharma an effective way to spread the dharma?

I know people who were raised to "pick their own religion" that way and they picked nothing. I was a stealth Buddhist around my elder son and generally he is unaware of Buddhism as any other American-- probably assumes Buddhists are pagans that pray to statues to crush their enemies and the bring them riches and women.
    They've got Buddha nature anyway so at some point they may see the light. It would be nice if my kids followed my poor example as a lay Buddhist and understood the path, but when they are ready for the dharma they will be ready. Hopefully I can help them along the way. But as @ourself says - teaching them how to think properly, but also showing kids how to be compassionate and to distinguish what is right and wrong is an essential parenting skill.

Monastic life - family (lay) life - I bet there is not much in it in the end in terms of merit. Kids require as much love and effort as any practice.

If you try and force something on them too young - you might make them averse to the the teachings.

Give them too much and you create craving.

There is always a middle way.

Mettha

Maybe a better question would be:

Has anyone ever, ever successfully learned about Buddhism from a parent? ( without the sort of bitterness and rage and anger that leads people to reject their Christian upbringing) And if so, how did they do it? Or is this a fundamentally impossible thing to teach religion to children without triggering the bitterness, rage and anger against power?

ourself said:

I'd rather teach my children how to think instead of what to think. When and if they ask about Buddhism I will tell them what I think and believe without claiming to know the truth.

Exactly!

This is a lot like when I taught science years ago. The facts in middle school and early high school are pretty irrelevant. But seeing things in a science-sort-of-way was a long-lasting benefit.

Same for looking at belief systems.

edited January 2014
    As long as the experience has been positive...shouldn't trigger too much.
    AFA...My children only go when they ask to. They also only walk with me...
    do the bell through the day...or rake...if they ask. I never 'force' them to
    do anything religious.... and if anything.... I explain to them that Buddhism teaches
    me to do the opposite of forcing them...
    We don't go the 'fear' route...so...it's been a wonderful experience so far...
    seeing my children pick up their own practice habits and to see the
    stages/interersts in them....My youngest (9) is still talking about the last
    tea ceremony... :)
    jaematthewmartin
    Too late to edit...lololol
    This is my kind of thread... If anyone would like to share
    tips/ideas for sharing practice/lessons/meditation with
    children...go for it! I'm more than willing to share what we
    do with different ages at our house! My teen is missing the
    monastery and has been asking if nuns are allowed to write and
    recieve letters.....before my next trip to ask...does anyone here
    know the rules/guidelines for that?
    matthewmartin
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    ourself said:

So your not going to tell them to think that it's bad to kill, bad to steal, bad to lie, etc, etc? Seems to me like a failure of parenting of you ask me!

Knee jerk reaction without thinking through what he is saying.
    Knee jerk reaction missing my point.
    You can say, "IT'S BAD TO KILL, JOHNNY!!!" Or you can talk about life lessons.

Let's see, which technique did Buddha usually use?
    The Buddha taught his children Buddhism. :)
    seeker242 said:

The Buddha taught his children Buddhism. :)

Through orders or through stories of examples?

edited January 2014
    Rahula Sutta: Advice to Rahula Sn 2.11

"Renouncing the five pleasures of sense that entrance and delight the mind, and in faith departing from home, become one who makes an end of suffering!

"Associate with good friends and choose a remote lodging, secluded, with little noise. Be moderate in eating. Robes, alms-food, remedies and a dwelling — do not have craving for these things; do not be one who returns to the world. [1] Practice restraint according to the Discipline, [2] and control the five sense-faculties.

"Practice mindfulness of the body and continually develop dispassion (towards it). Avoid the sign of the beautiful connected with passion; by meditating on the foul [3] cultivate a mind that is concentrated and collected.

"Meditate on the Signless [4] and get rid of the tendency to conceit. By thoroughly understanding and destroying conceit [5] you will live in the (highest) peace."

In this manner the Lord repeatedly exhorted the Venerable Rahula."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.2.11.irel.html
    jaesovamatthewmartin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

re: genkaku and ourself
    Is secret or semi-secret dharma an effective way to spread the dharma?

Secret? It's not like the mediation room would be locked, the books hidden or the statues veiled... However, the other ways will not be secret either.
    I know people who were raised to "pick their own religion" that way and they picked nothing. I was a stealth Buddhist around my elder son and generally he is unaware of Buddhism as any other American-- probably assumes Buddhists are pagans that pray to statues to crush their enemies and the bring them riches and women.
    Brutal... If I was dictated a religion, I would have resented my folks. I was baptised Anglican without understanding what it was all about and when I was 12, I turned the baptism candle upside down and tried to conjure Satan in the flame.

Fun times, fun times.

seeker242 said:

ourself said:

So your not going to tell them to think that it's bad to kill, bad to steal, bad to lie, etc, etc? Seems to me like a failure of parenting of you ask me!

Whoa, lol... So let me get this straight... If we aren't indoctrinated into Buddhism as children we will not be able to dicifer right from wrong?

That's quite the leap there.

vinlyn
    ourself said:

seeker242 said:

ourself said:

Whoa, lol... So let me get this straight... If we aren't indoctrinated into Buddhism as children we will not be able to dicifer right from wrong?

As a parent you are suppose to instill proper moral values in your child, that is called good parenting!

matthewmartin
    And you can tell them what's right or wrong, or you can lead them into figuring out right from wrong. The latter teachers problem solving skills that will help them in many moral dilemmas.
    David
    edited January 2014
    A person who does both is the most effective at doing it. That is what the Buddha did with his son. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @matthewmartin
    Live your own practice to the best of your ability. Walk the talk. If you manifest tenderness, empathy, sympathy, benevolence, compassion, love & wisdom, then your parental religious duties will have been done.
    Davidjaerobotmatthewmartin
  • Teach them a living dharma. The kind of dharma that you can find without religion. Just love and letting go. Caring and forgiveness. Study and enjoyment.
    EvenThirdDavidGlow
    edited January 2014
    seeker242 said:

ourself said:

seeker242 said:

ourself said:

As a parent you are suppose to instill proper moral values in your child, that is called good parenting!

You are not making any sense. Instilling morals and making decisions about what a child believes are two different things.

Non-Buddhists are capable of figuring our right from wrong.

seeker242 said:

A person who does both is the most effective at doing it. That is what the Buddha did with his son. :)

No, he gave his son a choice.
    vinlyn
    vinlyn said:

You can say, "IT'S BAD TO KILL, JOHNNY!!!" Or you can talk about life lessons.

Let's see, which technique did Buddha usually use?

That's just it... Teaching them why it's wrong to kill goes further than telling them it's wrong to kill. And anyways, I was obviously talking about giving them a choice as to which spiritual path to follow.
    vinlynjae
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    There are endless ways that we all kill everyday.

You can tell your children all you want, not to kill,
    but it will be a parent's efforts at practicing harmlessness,
    that will stick with them.

vinlynTheswingisyellowbfg84
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Our examples, how we lead our lives, will be our children's best teacher
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Our examples, how we lead our lives, will be our children's best teacher. @how comments are spot on
    edited January 2014
    ourself said:

seeker242 said:

He persuaded his son to become a homeless, beggar monk. :) That is what "repeatedly exhorted" means. :)

Exhorted: "to strongly urge (someone) to do something"

The Buddha strongly urged his son to become Buddhist and practice Buddhism. He didn't just suggest it, he strongly urged it. Nor did he suggest any alternatives. In fact, he gave him novice ordination at the age of seven, without asking anyone's permission, not even of his son. King Suddhodana objected and the Buddha respected his fathers objections and the rule was born to not ordain minors without parents permission.

Rahula himself was the first Śrāmaṇera. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanera

matthewmartin
  • Maybe a better question would be:

Has anyone ever, ever successfully learned about Buddhism from a parent? ( without the sort of bitterness and rage and anger that leads people to reject their Christian upbringing) And if so, how did they do it? Or is this a fundamentally impossible thing to teach religion to children without triggering the bitterness, rage and anger against power?

Very good question. I am now seeing a third generation of western Buddhists, and am watching those Buddhists making the same mistakes as previous generations of Christians who thought that you can be born into a religion. The actuality is that people are born into a cultural expression of a religion which frequently acts as an eventual barrier to that religion.
    I have also noticed a tendency for those without kids of their own to lecture those who have, and who subsequently know the complexities involved and the vast differences even between siblings.
    Nek777
    edited January 2014
    seeker242 said:

ourself said:

seeker242 said:

He persuaded his son to become a homeless, beggar monk. :) That is what "repeatedly exhorted" means. :)

The Buddha strongly urged his son to become Buddhist and practice Buddhism. He didn't just suggest it, he strongly urged it. Nor did he suggest any alternatives. In fact, he gave him novice ordination at the age of seven, without asking anyone's permission, not even of his son. King Suddhodana objected and the Buddha respected his fathers objections and the rule was born to not ordain minors without parents permission.

What somebody claims Buddha did is irrellevant but I always heard he gave not only a choice but a warning. He told them he could not be a father any more and so no real special treatment would be given.

Where did you hear your version?

Either way, I think it's best that everyone discern their own path and not blindly follow what they are too young to understand.

Because a child is not indoctrinated to a path does not mean they won't learn right from wrong or suffer from bad parenting.

• seeker242 said:

ourself said:

seeker242 said:

A potential recipe for disaster if held up as a model for 21st century western parent/ child relationships. The Buddha came from a culture where for example, polygamy was common and arranged marriage was the norm. The Buddhas advice on the proper behaviour of wives would make most modern women's blood freeze.
    The Buddha was a great man. He was also a man of hs times.
    edited January 2014
    Do most Sangha groups separate the children?
    like...children programs? ..... Probably depends on the
    size and funding, I'm sure...but curious, non the less....
    Of those of you that have children that sit.....do you always
    sit together? .with them? ...Probably depends on age, I'm sure...
    One more...hahaha...how much home stuff are they involved in?
    AFA..incense lighting...any chanting..?? Um.....Buddhist children
    books? Thanks !
    edited January 2014
    ourself said:

Because a child is not indoctrinated to a path does not mean they won't learn right from wrong or suffer from bad parenting.

It's a mistake to think that raising your child to be Buddhist is the same as "indoctrination". They may find out right action from wrong action. How will they find out right view from wrong view? How could someone not want their child to have right view? How can a Bodhisattva who wants to save all beings from suffering, not want to teach their child right views?

matthewmartinJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    @seeker242 @how @ourself ... maybe the way is to mix all of your good points.. leading by example, communication and right action ...mettha, I think you all sound like responsible parents
    edited January 2014
    We live in the bible belt....so my kids are exposed to that....
    also, they have been exposed to a couple different family
    friends with other POV's about life, hahaha....so right..now
    I feel ok about that.....Right now....I've been hitting them with
    the rebirth stuff...hahaha I know...wish me luck...but so far
    so good...TNH has some wonderful examples and explanations
    that are easy to present IRL situations..... :)
    My son likes more TB material.....
    The love and compassion that animals can teach is
    wonderful for children, BTW. Any time you can get it
    in...is wonderful stuff!

We're science buffs too...so I got that covered hahaha

But yes, I am practicing Buddhists way/approach to
    life.....so thats what they know the most of....
    matthewmartin
    Sorry...one more important point....
    their father also is practicing...he does more
    intense Zen sitting with them and also does a
    morning session with them....so the conditions
    and spouse is something to consider....while
    talking about how the kids will be raised/exposed
    to. Ok..i'm done hahah
    matthewmartinJeffrey
    seeker242 said:

ourself said:

It's a mistake to think that raising your child to be Buddhist is the same as "indoctrination". They may find out right action from wrong action. How will they find out right view from wrong view? How could someone not want their child to have right view? How can a Bodhisattva who wants to save all beings from suffering, not want to teach their child right views?

My fiance and I were filling out forms for our newborn daughter a few weeks ago and there was a spot for religion. We both looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders and laughed... How does she know which or if religion will resonate with her at a day old?

We are both Buddhist and will obviously instil Buddhist morals and values... I won't be able to keep myself from telling her Buddhist stories, lol.

That, to me, is a far cry from forcing her to adopt Buddhism as her path.

Only she can make an informed choice on what makes sense to her.

CittaVastmindmatthewmartin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This image has always resonated with me....

We wouldn't label our children Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Tories or Labour, Arsenal supporters or New York Giant fans....

'Instilling Buddhist morals or values' is a misnomer. What you're doing is instilling morals and values. Full stop/period. Buddhism has nothing to do with raising a child well. You don't raise a child the Buddhist way. You raise them the right way. No God, no indoctrination, no religious direction. Just good, plain ol' common sense.

Give me one good bit of advice, counsel, direction or instruction that is uniquely Buddhist, and that could not be applied simply as a moral, beneficial, valuable guidance.
    CittaVastmindanatamanDavid
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    "Meditate on the Signless [4] and get rid of the tendency to conceit. By thoroughly understanding and destroying conceit [5] you will live in the (highest) peace" (buddha to rahula from post above)

actually made me cry! hahahha :D

love you guys even if you are terrible parents :)

letting your children grow their own curiosity for the world and for life and for what you can do is invaluable

buddhisty or not, always teach them that they can become anything and achieve anything

thanks dad and mom <3
    edited January 2014
    I think when this question comes up-- the knee jerk reaction is to imagine a great battle of straw men-- the Laissez-faire parent who generally neglects their kids and keeps their practice secret and the Klingon parent to uses spiked whips.

What is indoctrination, what is force? I've never seen it. I've seen rebellious teenagers (and once was one)-- but that's just the circle of life. No amount of laxity in parenting will prevent the rebellion.

@seeker242 - Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for. The historical Buddha didn't spread out Jainism, Hinduism, and Buddhism before his kid and ask him to pick, or not pick, that seems to be a modern thing. (not bad, just not Buddhist)

re: setting a good example
    Can't argue with that. Meritorious conduct would be a good thing even if no one was watching who might copy.

re: doing nothing particular different (as a parent or non-parent)
    I read books silently to myself and meditate. When I actually do something "buddhist"-y, its often something I didn't do. This is pretty stealthy Buddhism. If it works for someone, great, I was fishing for something with more structure.

re: wrong and right
    Without somehow getting Buddhist philosophy into ones head, one has no way of knowing wrong or right. By default, greed, hate and delusions about ones nature are (seemingly) pleasant, automatic and invisible as the water a fish swims in.

re: initiation (baptism) before one understands the point
    Yes, the novice/monk model maybe could provide a way to deal with this. Novices can't become monks until they extensively prove they can do it, understand it and want it. I should go read about that next. (I have read that the barrier for becoming a lay Buddhist is pretty low-- just saying the refuges recitation 3 times)
    seeker242 said:

ourself said:

seeker242 said:

So, I just wonder what percent of people on this forum are Buddhist because their parents INSTILLED Buddhism on them

-- versus --

what percent of people on this forum are Buddhist in spite of the religion their parents INSTILLED on them.

(I put instilled in caps to emphasize a heavy hand).

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Exactly. The primary issue is the coercion...the nature of the coercion is secondary.
    I fear that anyone who attempts to install Buddhism in modern teens will rue the day.
    anataman