Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Proper Meditation Posture?

Hi everyone! I have noticed that the proper posture for meditation is sitting down with your legs crossed, but I have a physical disability where I cannot bend my left leg and will never have the chance to (Unless medical technology greatly advances). Am I going to miss out on the entire experience? Also, if I go to a retreat, will I still be able to take part in sessions where everyone is kneeling?

Comments

• no you can do meditation in a chair. Is that possible for you?
    Zero
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    No you are not going to miss out as there is more than one way to meditate. You don't have to kneel either - mentally do it if you feel you have to. Sitting in a chair if you want to sit is perfectly ok and I have been to sessions where people with similar disabilities that prohibit kneeling or sitting lay down on back or side. It's just as effective. I often lay down at night meditating as I go to sleep.

You won't miss out on anything! Just don't fall asleep!

Mettha

the next Buddha is going to become enlightened in this very posture . . . keep us updated . . .
    Chaz
  • Thank you so much, everyone! Your knowledge has helped me greatly :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Also, if I go to a retreat, will I still be able to take part in sessions where everyone is kneeling?

Most retreat venues provide chairs, and if they don't they should so don't be afraid to ask for one.
    Sitting in a chair is fine, but do try to keep your back straight.
    Chaz
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    in general

body open
    back upright
    not too tense or rigid
    eyes gently open (slightly) to let in light so you don't snooze
    tip of the tongue just behind the teeth on that ridge

you can meditate even without legs. heavens, beings meditate without bodies! :)

kind mind kind heart. clear states of mind are full of love and compassion, essence of the cosmos. =))

welcome and happy arriving
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It leans towards Zen in tone, but the postures (with pictures) are pretty instructive at this site.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    genkaku said:

It leans towards Zen in tone, but the postures (with pictures) are pretty instructive at this site.

They missed out the armchair.
    :p