Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Something wonderful happened today.

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran
So I was catching the bus from my friends today to meet my GF at the park and ride next to the tram stop where she had parked her car and caught the tram into town to visit her mum in the hospital. I got on the bus and it was packed no seats and everybody looked stressed. The thought arose in me that they are stressed because there suffering from the three poisons and immediately I began to experience some mild feelings of metta. It lasted all the way into town and on the tram which was also packed out to the park and ride. Then my GF called me and told me she had missed the bus to the tram stop and would be thirty minutes late. I was so de-stressed by the experience on the bus and tram that waiting for thirty minutes in the cold didn't even grind my gears.

Your thoughts are welcome but I just wanted to share because I don't really know any other Buddhists IRL.
anatamanVastmindlobsterEvenThird

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    That sounded lovely... not quite the same but I had a filling done today and I'm usually very nervous at the dentist.

I was trying to meditate, concentrating on my breath and thinking about the dentist on the in breath then wishing him to be well, happy and at ease on the out breath (learnt this technique at my first Buddhist meeting earlier this week)

I was also hoping by doing this he it wouldn't hurt! It did put me in a 'better' place.
    anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    jae said:

That sounded lovely... not quite the same but I had a filling done today and I'm usually very nervous at the dentist.

I was trying to meditate, concentrating on my breath and thinking about the dentist on the in breath then wishing him to be well, happy and at ease on the out breath (learnt this technique at my first Buddhist meeting earlier this week)

I was also hoping by doing this he it wouldn't hurt! It did put me in a 'better' place.

Although I'm a medical professional I have always hated dentists. I suffered for nearly 12 years with recurrent dental problems. without going to see one, when I did he fixed me up well and good, what was I worried about? However, I am not going to see another dentist until hell freezes over - well done @Jae!
    jae
  • NeleNele Veteran
    Great example of skillful living I would say.
    anataman
  • it seems 'it - four immeasurable abiding (satara brahma vihara)' is becoming stronger and stronger in your life

:)
  • I began to experience some mild feelings of metta
    :clap:

Despite practice by the emotionally stilted dharma hordes, metta is not only a 'practice', it is the natural arising from the Buddhist path and life going well.
    You might expect more of this sort of thing. Nice it is . . .
    No big deal. Keep up the good work and no clinging to the goodies.

Onward.

Zenshin
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Yeah @lobster, no clinging to the goodies, exactly my crustaceous friend.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lobster and @ Lonely_Traveller... but enjoy the goodies as they pass by xx
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @Jae, yep, you have a point there mate.
    jae
  • So I was catching the bus from my friends today to meet my GF at the park and ride next to the tram stop where she had parked her car and caught the tram into town to visit her mum in the hospital. I got on the bus and it was packed no seats and everybody looked stressed. The thought arose in me that they are stressed because there suffering from the three poisons and immediately I began to experience some mild feelings of metta. It lasted all the way into town and on the tram which was also packed out to the park and ride. Then my GF called me and told me she had missed the bus to the tram stop and would be thirty minutes late. I was so de-stressed by the experience on the bus and tram that waiting for thirty minutes in the cold didn't even grind my gears.

Your thoughts are welcome but I just wanted to share because I don't really know any other Buddhists IRL.

Mm..mmm.... One does not need much to be happy!